Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Another noob Q-thread...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Another noob Q-thread... Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Another noob Q-thread... - 5/18/2007 1:03:43 AM   
terje439

Ok so I am playing with the CSA, and are winning big (Ohio and Massaschusets under my control, all Yank armies more or less a few divisions strong, and the French joined my side. Yes it is on n00b difficulty atm hehe)

Anyway my questions are theese;
-how come my armies start out with several divisions on 1.25 moral? After all we are winning the war, and my men are better led and my armies bigger than the ones brought to the field by the Yanks.
-is there any way for me to see how far my research has come? (a tech screen or something that I am missing? Because I find it somewhat annoying not knowing if I will soon get another upgrade or not.
-why am I stated as the attacker when my armies have invaded the north, and then the next turn are counter-attacked? After all my armies were on the location first, and I am pretty sure that if R.E.Lee was told that union armies were advancing on his positions he would look for the best battlefield and dig in...

Anyway, thanks for any help you guys can offer, and thanks for a great game (atleast seems that way so far )
Terje
Post #: 1
RE: Another noob Q-thread... - 5/18/2007 1:23:16 AM   
Walloc

quote:

ORIGINAL: terje439

Anyway my questions are theese;
-how come my armies start out with several divisions on 1.25 moral? After all we are winning the war, and my men are better led and my armies bigger than the ones brought to the field by the Yanks.

Do u mean 1.25 at start at the game where it represents the fact on both side that units in general was very inexperienced or new units u buy into the war?
secondly is this 1.25 in battle or out of battle?

ill try answer making some assumptions with out answers.
Do u conscript new units or buy? look in muster/conscription/impressment thread for some answers on this. But in short a conscripted unit has about 2 moral for CSA where as a bought inf unit starts with 5.0 a huge difference.

If u mean in combat. A unit combat moral are modified by several factors. Quoting from read me of the beta patch

• The modifiers to a unit's morale in detailed combat (such as Disposition, Home Territory bonus, game difficulty level, etc.) now can neither reduce a unit's starting detailed combat morale below 50% of its level of Quality nor raise it above 1.0+150% of its level of Quality. For instance, a unit with a base Quality of 4.0 cannot have a detailed combat morale modified below 2.0 nor above 7.0.

quote:

-is there any way for me to see how far my research has come? (a tech screen or something that I am missing? Because I find it somewhat annoying not knowing if I will soon get another upgrade or not.

Yes open city details screen and look at left side.

quote:

-why am I stated as the attacker when my armies have invaded the north, and then the next turn are counter-attacked? After all my armies were on the location first, and I am pretty sure that if R.E.Lee was told that union armies were advancing on his positions he would look for the best battlefield and dig in...

By design defender and attacking is determained by who owns the province and not by who moves.
Hearing u are MA, i wonder if u have been able to conquere provinces all the way up there.
A prequsit for change a province ownership is that u own an adjecting province.

What version are u playing btw?

Hope it helps else ask more,

Rasmus

< Message edited by Walloc -- 5/18/2007 3:21:51 AM >

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 2
RE: Another noob Q-thread... - 5/18/2007 1:26:17 AM   
moose1999

Check your city details screen, down in the left corner. The 'lighted' electric bulps signify how far you are with your research in that category.

To be the defender in a battle you have to have control of the province, which includes taking all forts and the city too if there is one. Untill you have complete control of the province you will always be the attacker.

EDIT: Argh, you got there first, Walloc. Well, done.

< Message edited by briny_norman -- 5/18/2007 1:28:19 AM >

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 3
RE: Another noob Q-thread... - 5/18/2007 1:40:21 AM   
Walloc

I know ur pain Briny. Usually Erik or Gil manages to answer as i sit and type any answers i can give, with my 1 finger typing
And in ur answers are more full then mine like the lightbulb thing

Rasmus

< Message edited by Walloc -- 5/18/2007 1:43:41 AM >

(in reply to moose1999)
Post #: 4
RE: Another noob Q-thread... - 5/18/2007 3:46:09 AM   
Gil R.

Not this time -- I was off the internet for several hours in a row this afternoon, since I've got nothing more to do for this patch.

(in reply to Walloc)
Post #: 5
RE: Another noob Q-thread... - 5/18/2007 4:25:31 AM   
freeboy

does that mean we wil see it? I guess I will need to relearn this bad boy!

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 6
RE: Another noob Q-thread... - 5/18/2007 6:40:43 AM   
Gil R.

Yes, it will be seen. Eric made a few additional changes that need internal testing. Our original hope was to release the gold version tomorrow, but the additions push back that schedule just a bit.

Those of you who insist on playing official patches only should use tonight and the next couple of nights or so to get all of the other games out there out of your system. (I mean that abstractly -- no need to delete them from your hard-drives.)

(in reply to freeboy)
Post #: 7
RE: Another noob Q-thread... - 5/18/2007 7:06:11 AM   
freeboy

Gil I would be happy if someone would get me access to the members downloads, mine seem to fail!

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 8
RE: Another noob Q-thread... - 5/18/2007 7:07:53 AM   
Gil R.

That's an Erik Rutins thing -- I haven't a clue how Matrix handles all that. You might want to p.m. or e-mail him.

(in reply to freeboy)
Post #: 9
RE: Another noob Q-thread... - 5/18/2007 4:31:35 PM   
freeboy

ER could not help, for whatever reason my sys and my wifes, fail, on download, tried Firefox, disabling software etc.. so I am here playing other stuff, not too happy this is taking so long, BUT am happy that things look as good as they do, sounds like a lot of good work! Expectations run high, and I will have to start thinking of my win in '63 strategy!

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 10
RE: Another noob Q-thread... - 5/19/2007 1:51:47 AM   
terje439

quote:

ORIGINAL: Walloc

Do u mean 1.25 at start at the game where it represents the fact on both side that units in general was very inexperienced or new units u buy into the war?
secondly is this 1.25 in battle or out of battle?

in detailed battle, and I am not sure if those units were units I started out with, bought or got after Lincoln freed the slaves.

quote:

ill try answer making some assumptions with out answers.
Do u conscript new units or buy? look in muster/conscription/impressment thread for some answers on this. But in short a conscripted unit has about 2 moral for CSA where as a bought inf unit starts with 5.0 a huge difference.

If u mean in combat. A unit combat moral are modified by several factors. Quoting from read me of the beta patch

• The modifiers to a unit's morale in detailed combat (such as Disposition, Home Territory bonus, game difficulty level, etc.) now can neither reduce a unit's starting detailed combat morale below 50% of its level of Quality nor raise it above 1.0+150% of its level of Quality. For instance, a unit with a base Quality of 4.0 cannot have a detailed combat morale modified below 2.0 nor above 7.0.

ok I am guessing that the units that starts a battle shaking like a cow with mad-cow disease are low grade troops then.

quote:

Yes open city details screen and look at left side.

ah, I thought those lightbulbs were the research generated by that city.

quote:

By design defender and attacking is determained by who owns the province and not by who moves.

ok, then that is why I am always the attacker then, since all battles now are fought in Yank territory

quote:

Hearing u are MA, i wonder if u have been able to conquere provinces all the way up there.
A prequsit for change a province ownership is that u own an adjecting province.

Yup, they are all nice and red, at the current time the Army of Potomac numbers 25.000 troops, and is the only Yank army still consisiting more than 5000 troops. Flank, surround, attack works like a charm

quote:

What version are u playing btw?

not sure atm, bought the game online 3 days ago so I am guessing that would be the up-to-date version.

quote:

Hope it helps else ask more,

Rasmus

It did, it sorted out a few mistakes on my behalf on issues I was just guessing how was working. After all I am a male, and as such have no confidence in manuals

Thanks for the reply!
Terje

(in reply to Walloc)
Post #: 11
RE: Another noob Q-thread... - 5/19/2007 1:52:46 AM   
terje439

quote:

ORIGINAL: briny_norman

Check your city details screen, down in the left corner. The 'lighted' electric bulps signify how far you are with your research in that category.

To be the defender in a battle you have to have control of the province, which includes taking all forts and the city too if there is one. Untill you have complete control of the province you will always be the attacker.

EDIT: Argh, you got there first, Walloc. Well, done.

Even if Walloc beat you to it, thank you for the help!
Terje

(in reply to moose1999)
Post #: 12
RE: Another noob Q-thread... - 5/19/2007 1:56:21 AM   
Gil R.

On the city development screen, just click that View Upgrades button and you'll see the results of your research.

Mousing over the lightbulbs tells you what your research-related bonuses and drains are.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 13
RE: Another noob Q-thread... - 5/19/2007 2:27:14 AM   
Walloc

quote:

not sure atm, bought the game online 3 days ago so I am guessing that would be the up-to-date version.

I'd bet it isnt, not that i know. Since until gold patch makes it out soon u will need to registrer ur game with matrix. Then u can download the public beta patches.
From ur members page. Read more about in a sticky in public beta thread.
I'd suggest getting the beta patches which is more beta in name than effect since there have been made tons of improvements since version 1.2.3 i suspect u are playing with.

Kind regards,

Rasmus

< Message edited by Walloc -- 5/19/2007 2:29:40 AM >

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 14
RE: Another noob Q-thread... - 5/19/2007 11:05:31 AM   
terje439

quote:

quote:

I'd bet it isnt, not that i know. Since until gold patch makes it out soon u will need to registrer ur game with matrix. Then u can download the public beta patches.
From ur members page. Read more about in a sticky in public beta thread.
I'd suggest getting the beta patches which is more beta in name than effect since there have been made tons of improvements since version 1.2.3 i suspect u are playing with.

Kind regards,

Rasmus

I stand corrected Sir!

You were absolutely correct, I was playing 1.2.3, but have updated it now :)

Again, Thanks for the help

Terje

(in reply to Walloc)
Post #: 15
RE: Another noob Q-thread... - 5/20/2007 10:00:48 PM   
terje439

Another question then, since my last ones have all been answered

1. How is experience gain calculated? I was guessing that the more damage a unit inflicted the more experience it would gain, but this does not seem correct.

2. Can France and England declare war on the CSA?

ok I know, I know, I should read the manual, and I will as soon as I get the printed version, those pdf-files just don't cut it

Again, thanks for any help!
Terje

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 16
RE: Another noob Q-thread... - 5/20/2007 10:18:39 PM   
Gil R.

No, they just fight on the CSA side. Historically, there wasn't much of a chance of the Europeans entering the war to help restore the Union (even if many European leaders and commoners supported the Union).

As for experience, it's not the damage dealt that matters so much as the unit's pre-battle quality. The lower the unit's quality, the greater the room for improvement, and thus the larger the gain.

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 17
RE: Another noob Q-thread... - 5/21/2007 2:08:08 AM   
terje439

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gil R.

No, they just fight on the CSA side. Historically, there wasn't much of a chance of the Europeans entering the war to help restore the Union (even if many European leaders and commoners supported the Union).

As for experience, it's not the damage dealt that matters so much as the unit's pre-battle quality. The lower the unit's quality, the greater the room for improvement, and thus the larger the gain.

apreciated! Thanks.
Terje

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 18
RE: Another noob Q-thread... - 5/21/2007 6:48:49 PM   
ChuckK

Let me tack this question here:

How is it determined who gets fort and terrain bonuses in a new conquered area while using quick combat?

Case in point, in a recent game I took New Orleans as the Union.  I held the city a few turns till CSA relief showed up and attacked--they got the fort and terrain benefits.  The city was blue the parent territory red at the time.

Yet in another situation the CSA took Frankfort and Cincinnati quickly after Kentucky went Union.  My forces arrived the very next turn to relieve the battered cities and the rebs got the fort and terrain benefits.  The cities were red and the parent terriorities of the cities, blue.

I was playing at first sergeant level with the most recent beta patch.

Thanks

< Message edited by ChuckK -- 5/21/2007 6:58:32 PM >

Saratoga CV-3
One of 3 U.S. pre-war carriers to survive WWII
Awarded 7 battle stars
Torpedoed on two separate occasions
Hit by 6 bombs, holed twice, on 2-17-45
Sunk at Bikini Atoll, '46, after enduring 2nd A-Bomb test
She was a tough Lady!

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 19
RE: Another noob Q-thread... - 5/21/2007 7:03:03 PM   
Walloc

Who ever owns the province at time of battle get bonus in all cases. Owning cities forts meanings nothing. Its all down to province ownership.

Hmmm, cant give an explantion on 2nd case should be u that got it. 1 thing tho if they toke cities in last turn. The provice at end of that turn should revert to their side. Sure that didnt happen?

Rasmus

< Message edited by Walloc -- 5/21/2007 7:06:10 PM >

(in reply to ChuckK)
Post #: 20
RE: Another noob Q-thread... - 5/21/2007 7:50:54 PM   
ChuckK

quote:

ORIGINAL:  Walloc
Hmmm, cant give an explantion on 2nd case should be u that got it. 1 thing tho if they toke cities in last turn. The provice at end of that turn should revert to their side.  Sure that didnt happen?
Rasmus

With Cincinnati being a river province it could have and I might not have noticed it--I sometimes forget river provinces are separate entities. 

Thanks

Saratoga CV-3
Awarded 7 battle stars
She was a tough Lady!

(in reply to Walloc)
Post #: 21
RE: Another noob Q-thread... - 5/21/2007 11:43:30 PM   
ChuckK

AH HA!

I figured out why my well-planned and well-executed amphibious invasions of the soft Confederate underbelly wasn't yielding me control of numerous conquered provinces  ( I dropped a coup of 50k apiece on New Orleans and Mobile and have been pulling out my hair wondering why I haven't flipped any of those territories to blue).

p.76 of the FOF manual:
quote:

IMPORTANT: Provinces will only come under a player’s control if they are adjacent to another province already under that player’s control. For example, if the CSA player besieges and captures Columbus, Ohio, but does not control any adjacent provinces, then he will not be able to capture the city and take control of the province containing Columbus, even if he successfully besieges the city.

That's quite an oversight on my part.  

So despite having "conquered" half of Alabama, captured Mobile and Selma, and cleared every fort I could see, I'm not going to be granted control of any of those provinces until I "link up"  with a blue Union province, probably somewhere in southern Tennessee.

Back to the drawing board......

Saratoga CV-3
Awarded 7 battle stars
She was a tough Lady!

(in reply to ChuckK)
Post #: 22
RE: Another noob Q-thread... - 5/26/2007 1:52:25 PM   
terje439

ok so I'm back

A few more questions popped up after completing my first game;

1. Can I asssign generals to certain brigades? Like assigning Mr. Jackson to the Stonewall Brigade.
2. How do I increase the support levels for each type of gun (like the spencer/henry rifles for my infantry)? After trying to equip the entire Army of Virginia with Henry rifles, the cost got NASTY in the end, costing some 390+ arms per unit being equipped.
3. Is there any way to increase the max resource ammount in my stockpile? I noticed that I would not get more than 500 each of iron, horses and workforce.

Again, thanks!
Terje

(in reply to ChuckK)
Post #: 23
RE: Another noob Q-thread... - 5/26/2007 3:04:19 PM   
Walloc

quote:

1. Can I asssign generals to certain brigades? Like assigning Mr. Jackson to the Stonewall Brigade.

Inside HW battles yes. Use the G key. If u have a general on the unit u have activated u can move him to another brigade using the G key.

quote:

2. How do I increase the support levels for each type of gun (like the spencer/henry rifles for my infantry)? After trying to equip the entire Army of Virginia with Henry rifles, the cost got NASTY in the end, costing some 390+ arms per unit being equipped.

U cant as is designed that ways to keep the über weapons in limited numbers. U didnt have supply problems for ur units?
Another way of limiting by design is that unit with über weapons need higher supply prioverty to be kept in supply if u have 6 units in a division with Henry's.

quote:

3. Is there any way to increase the max resource ammount in my stockpile? I noticed that I would not get more than 500 each of iron, horses and workforce.

No, well u can modify the game files. Fairly easy to do, but apart from that no.

Kind regards,

Rasmus

< Message edited by Walloc -- 5/26/2007 3:07:31 PM >

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 24
RE: Another noob Q-thread... - 5/26/2007 3:48:02 PM   
terje439

quote:

quote:

Inside HW battles yes. Use the G key. If u have a general on the unit u have activated u can move him to another brigade using the G key.

Ah nice, thanks!

quote:

U cant as is designed that ways to keep the über weapons in limited numbers. U didnt have supply problems for ur units?
Another way of limiting by design is that unit with über weapons need higher supply prioverty to be kept in supply if u have 6 units in a division with Henry's.

Nah was my first entire campaign so no expert supply rules in effect (and besides the Noerth had only some 10 provinces left at the time anyway). Ah bummer, guess there will be no great yank-shootin' then

quote:

No, well u can modify the game files. Fairly easy to do, but apart from that no.

Kind regards,

Rasmus

Oh well guess we don't want the government to gather too much of our supplies then

Thanks for the quick reply!
Terje

(in reply to Walloc)
Post #: 25
RE: Another noob Q-thread... - 5/27/2007 10:08:41 AM   
terje439

I'll just continue my thread

Does AI forces ever misinterpret their orders? It seems they do not.
Seems a tad unfair to me if they do not

Does the AI cheat? He seems to know precicely were my "long range" INF are, and instead uses his "long range" INF to blast away at my musket-vielding troops

Again any help is apreciated!
Terje

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 26
RE: Another noob Q-thread... - 5/27/2007 11:58:03 AM   
Walloc

Cant help u there Terje.

I dont know for sure, i have my suspecions too.
Eric would have to tell.

That said. If AI cheats in those 2 area's i'd personally consider it some small cheats.
Especially the 2nd one. You can use that one against the AI too. AI unit with out freshness will be no match against range 1 fire of ur fresh units.

Kind regards,

Rasmus

< Message edited by Walloc -- 5/27/2007 12:47:50 PM >

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 27
RE: Another noob Q-thread... - 5/27/2007 1:05:32 PM   
terje439

quote:

Cant help u there Terje.

I dont know for sure, i have my suspecions too.
Eric would have to tell.

That said. If AI cheats in those 2 area's i'd personally consider it some small cheats.
Especially the 2nd one. You can use that one against the AI too. AI unit with out freshness will be no match against range 1 fire of ur fresh units.

Kind regards,

Rasmus

Well point (2) I have no difficulty dealing with, but during my last battle I had some units running around doing anything but what I told them to, and if the AI does not have that penalty it is (IMHO) a huge benefit for the AI.

Terje

(in reply to Walloc)
Post #: 28
RE: Another noob Q-thread... - 5/27/2007 1:18:40 PM   
Walloc

True IF its is the case, but i have much faith in ur brain Terje over that of an AI to be better in so many other ways!
Any how this is just my personal opinion.

Btw as ur troops improve in QL, so do the number of times units wont follow ur commands. Could the difference u see, be a difference in QL?

Kind regards,

Rasmus

< Message edited by Walloc -- 5/27/2007 1:25:43 PM >

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 29
RE: Another noob Q-thread... - 5/27/2007 6:16:34 PM   
terje439

Hmm could be I suppose, but still the unit that was running around like a headless chicken was under direct command of General Wade Hampton, so I felt they should have done better . They did not run to the correct position for 4 turns....The result? Two Yank brigades that lived to fight me again

(in reply to Walloc)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Another noob Q-thread... Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI