Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Where do you live?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> RE: Where do you live? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
[Poll]

Where do you live?

Northeastern U.S. (Maine/Vermont/New Hampshire/Mass./NewYork/Conn./RI)
  6% (8)
Mid-Atlantic (New Jersey/Pennsylvania/Delaware/Maryland/WashingtonDC)
  4% (5)
Midwest (Ohio/Mich./Indiana/Illinois/Wisconsin/Minnesota/Iowa/Kansas)
  15% (18)
Western states not on FOF map, or Oklahoma (= Indian Territory)
  16% (19)
Virginia
  1% (2)
Southeastern states (North Carolina/South Carolina/Georgia/Florida)
  7% (9)
Deep South (Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, Texas)
  4% (5)
Tennessee/Kentucky
  2% (3)
Missouri/Arkansas
  5% (6)
Outside of United States
  36% (43)

Total Votes : 118

(last vote on : 5/18/2009 1:12:55 PM)
(Poll will run till: -- )
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Where do you live? - 6/1/2007 12:23:21 AM   
Greyhunterlp

Rule Brittannia,
Brittania Rules the waves,
Britons never, never, will be slaves!

(well, not since the Roman period, not counting the slave like Fedul system running from then through to the industrial revolution, or the near slavery wages and contract of said marvel of the modern world.)

Sometimes I think I should quit while I'm ahead.

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 31
RE: Where do you live? - 6/1/2007 3:06:21 AM   
wzh55

To Drex: I thought Chico was all frozen tundra! (Oh sorry, that's Alaska). You born & bred Californian?

Bill Hawthorne

(in reply to jkBluesman)
Post #: 32
RE: Where do you live? - 6/1/2007 3:14:08 AM   
Missouri_Rebel

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gil R.

I guess Missourians are just the most vocal on the forum.

Loud and proud! Theres a reason we are called the Show Me State.

'Betcha I can jump across that gorge on my bike wearing a blindfold.'

Oh yeah, Show Me!

mo reb

**Those who rob Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul
**A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have-Gerald Ford

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 33
RE: Where do you live? - 6/1/2007 3:53:51 AM   
Gray_Lensman

quote:

Funny. I thought Missouri would be much better represented. I guess Missourians are just the most vocal on the forum.

Hey, it's better than being from Madagascar.

Oops, sorry Rasmus, (vicious rumor)

< Message edited by Gray_Lensman -- 6/1/2007 3:55:08 AM >

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 34
RE: Where do you live? - 6/1/2007 4:37:39 AM   
BigBog

From the great State of New Jousee...now living in Utah....talk about contrasting livestyles.....

(in reply to Gray_Lensman)
Post #: 35
RE: Where do you live? - 6/1/2007 5:05:40 AM   
Mr. Yuck

To conceptually borrow from the "Generals with no Home State" thread: I may have lived in NC for 10 years but that is just an act of the business gods. If the ACW II broke out tomorrow, I'd be heading back to Chicago.

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 36
RE: Where do you live? - 6/1/2007 5:24:56 AM   
Missouri_Rebel

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr. Yuck

If the ACW II broke out tomorrow, I'd be heading back to Chicago.

How you got there might be another story

I've been to Chicago several times and have had some fun, but personally, I prefer NC. Give me Blue Ridge Parkway any day over Lake Shore Drive. Yet I can't blame anyone from missing thair home state and the family there. Plus the Bears are always fun to watch. And the Cubs are fun to watch lose.

I Have a friend in Shaumburg (sp) one in Arlington Heights and another 3 blocks away from the stadium in Wrigglyville right on Addison(sp). Yes he's straight. Hear there are a lot of queers in that area. Gotta go back soon for some more Wrigglyville Dogs. MMMMMMMM.

Mo Reb

**A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have-Gerald Ford

(in reply to Mr. Yuck)
Post #: 37
RE: Where do you live? - 6/1/2007 5:47:56 AM   
Gray_Lensman

quote:

ORIGINAL: Missouri_Rebel

quote:

I've been to Chicago several times and have had some fun, but personally, I prefer NC. Give me Blue Ridge Parkway any day over Lake Shore Drive. Yet I can't blame anyone from missing thair home state and the family there. Plus the Bears are always fun to watch. And the Cubs are fun to watch lose.

I Have a friend in Shaumburg (sp) one in Arlington Heights and another 3 blocks away from the stadium in Wrigglyville right on Addison(sp). Yes he's straight. Hear there are a lot of queers in that area. Gotta go back soon for some more Wrigglyville Dogs. MMMMMMMM.

Mo Reb

It's probably not to "politically correct" in a gaming forum to make expressions this way. and I'm a fellow Missourian.

(in reply to Missouri_Rebel)
Post #: 38
RE: Where do you live? - 6/1/2007 5:52:39 AM   
Drex

To WZH55: Been in Cal since 1959, in Chico since '82. Although not born here I might as well have. the construction co I work for has an office in Sac by the way.

quote:

Col Saito: "Don't speak to me of rules! This is war! It is not a game of cricket!"

(in reply to wzh55)
Post #: 39
RE: Where do you live? - 6/1/2007 5:55:34 AM   
Missouri_Rebel

Who wants to be politically correct anyways? Keep your Newspeak. Plus, not sure what you are refering to Sir.

mo reb

Post #: 40
RE: Where do you live? - 6/1/2007 6:01:14 AM   
Mr. Yuck

quote:

quote:

Mo Reb

Schaumburg? That overgrown subdivision 20 miles from town with the crackerbox houses and its very own fire and police departments? I say Bah! My parents bought their first house in the overgrown subdivision right next to it on Irving Park- Streamwood.

I still own a house in Addison and I must say that what the gay/creative class influx has done for property values there has made me very happy.

The Blue Ridge Parkway is 2 miles down my gravel road and it is much prettier than Lake Shore Drive. But I have a 14 month-old and I can see myself going back to the DC suburbs or Chicago when he gets to school age. This is definitely a good place for him now but all the money here is concentrated in a tiny part of town that I would never want to live in and that is where the good schools are. Every few months I have to hire someone and the basic math and writing skills are just not there-it's scary. Appalachia is still this country's 3rd world.

Post #: 41
RE: Where do you live? - 6/1/2007 6:05:10 AM   
Gray_Lensman

I was trying to be somewhat discreet in pointing out your terminology, which might be offensive to some of the other members of the forum.

<content deleted>

edit: I'll leave it to the moderators from here.

< Message edited by Gray_Lensman -- 6/1/2007 6:33:39 AM >

Post #: 42
RE: Where do you live? - 6/1/2007 6:09:36 AM   
Mr. Yuck

And let me just say that if I left Asheville it would having nothing to with the fact that it is often featured in alternative pubs as the #1 gay-friendly tourist spot in the USA.

Post #: 43
RE: Where do you live? - 6/1/2007 6:25:08 AM   
Missouri_Rebel

Ah. I see now. If I offended anyone.......

You will of course let me know when gay becomes  un-pc. It sure is hard trying to keep up with elite thinking. Kind of like a magic trick. First it isn't then it is. Blah! If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it's a duck. Or should that be called something else?

Political correctness is offensive to me and many others. Could you please not use it so as not to offend, or are my feelings not as important? 

BTW, just to clarify, because in your pc world everything seems a little too grey, I have no ill feelings towards homosexuals at all, or their choices. No hate here for any man. Just for pc jargon and the complete death of intellectual exchanges thereof.

Sorry for the red herring Gil. It's just that this English language sure is hard to master.

mo reb

Post #: 44
RE: Where do you live? - 6/1/2007 6:33:01 AM   
Missouri_Rebel

quote:

And let me just say that if I left Asheville it would having nothing to with the fact that it is often featured in alternative pubs as the #1 gay-friendly tourist spot in the USA.

That is no reason to leave beautiful N.C. Live and let live. The other reasons stated sound like enough for you. Have to do what is best for the family....every time.

BTW...what the heck is alternative pubs? Never heard of that terminology before.

(in reply to Mr. Yuck)
Post #: 45
RE: Where do you live? - 6/1/2007 6:54:58 AM   
Missouri_Rebel

What strikes me as interesting is the amount of foreign players. I would never have thought there would be much interest in a war so far away and so long ago. Pretty cool if you ask me.
Wish some of our forieign friends would say which country they heil from.

mo reb

Post #: 46
RE: Where do you live? - 6/1/2007 7:18:41 AM   
Gray_Lensman

mo reb

One of the most knowledgeable playtesters is Walloc, (also known as Rasmus), I think he's from the Netherlands, if I'm not mistaken. He really knows about USA/CSA civil war weapons performance inside and out. Him and a few others really gave a lot of their time, playtesting and pointing out AI flaws so that everyone here could enjoy this fine game.

His trademark signature: "Kind Regards" is rather unique also, at least to me, I like it. Cool individual.

Post #: 47
RE: Where do you live? - 6/1/2007 7:23:13 AM   
Gil R.

Yeah, I noticed that too, about the large number of foreign-born players. As of right now, there are more of them than there are residents of former CSA states! And that's without even a vote from Croatia's own Marecone, who just got married a few days ago and probably isn't allowed to visit this forum again just yet.

Perhaps the explanation lies in the recent downturn in the U.S.'s popularity, which might lead the rest of the world to enjoy games in which lots of Americans get killed.

Post #: 48
RE: Where do you live? - 6/1/2007 7:42:49 AM   
Greyhunterlp

quote:

Yeah, I noticed that too, about the large number of foreign-born players. As of right now, there are more of them than there are residents of former CSA states! And that's without even a vote from Croatia's own Marecone, who just got married a few days ago and probably isn't allowed to visit this forum again just yet.

Perhaps the explanation lies in the recent downturn in the U.S.'s popularity, which might lead the rest of the world to enjoy games in which lots of Americans get killed.

well, it is something of a win/win situation.....

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 49
RE: Where do you live? - 6/1/2007 7:58:35 AM   
Gray_Lensman

Gil:

The downturn in the U.S. popularity, may only be a false impression being propagated by the our own news. The recent election of Merkel as Chancellor of Germany, over out-right characterizations of her being an American lackey, says a lot about the the supposed downturn in USA's popularity. Same thing in France. Obviously, if the USA was as unpopular as our news would like us to believe, these pro-American government changes would not be occurring.

edit: I tend to believe that most foreigners want to understand us more, and they wonder what's it is that makes us so open about airing our own dirty laundry. It would be interesting to hear some actual words from our foreign gaming participants rather than our own news.

< Message edited by Gray_Lensman -- 6/1/2007 8:20:00 AM >

(in reply to Greyhunterlp)
Post #: 50
RE: Where do you live? - 6/1/2007 8:31:57 AM   
dude

quote:

ORIGINAL: shenandoah

Curiously, Virginia has its own category but yet there is only one vote, so far.

Make that two now... though I'm a da*n yankee even though I've spent all but 12 of my 41 years here in VA... born in Pittsburgh. Luckily i'm in NORTHERN Virginia... dang West Virginian's had the right idea... Nothing like sending our taxes to Richmond so they can build more dirt roads down south...

Can we split the VA catagory into two? Say... adding Northern Va in with Mid-Atlantic?

Dude

“Ifs defeated the Confederates…” U.S.Grant

(in reply to shenandoah)
Post #: 51
RE: Where do you live? - 6/1/2007 8:42:36 AM   
Greyhunterlp

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gray_Lensman

Gil:

edit: I tend to believe that most foreigners want to understand us more, and they wonder what's it is that makes us so open about airing our own dirty laundry. It would be interesting to hear some actual words from our foreign gaming participants rather than our own news.

To be fair. its not most Americans that are hated, just Bush and co. - but going any more down that route is politics, and not for this forum.

Post #: 52
RE: Where do you live? - 6/1/2007 10:33:49 AM   
jkBluesman

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gray_Lensman

Gil:

The downturn in the U.S. popularity, may only be a false impression being propagated by the our own news. The recent election of Merkel as Chancellor of Germany, over out-right characterizations of her being an American lackey, says a lot about the the supposed downturn in USA's popularity. Same thing in France. Obviously, if the USA was as unpopular as our news would like us to believe, these pro-American government changes would not be occurring.

The German Chancellor is elected by parliament and not directly by the people, so it is not really comparable. But in Germany and in France as well, foreign politics did only play a minor role in the elections. That had been different in 2002.
I can only second Grey Hunter: most people will defer between governments and the people who live in a country.

Post #: 53
RE: Where do you live? - 6/1/2007 10:53:12 AM   
Gil R.

Yikes. This is turning into some thread here: first the controversial comment about the area around Wrigley Field and now a political discussion. Shall we go for the hat-trick and discuss religion? Okay, here goes: my god is better than yours.

I'd love to discuss the issue of the U.S.'s standing in the world, but that's a topic for another forum.

(in reply to jkBluesman)
Post #: 54
RE: Where do you live? - 6/1/2007 4:49:11 PM   
Gray_Lensman

quote:

Yikes. This is turning into some thread here: first the controversial comment about the area around Wrigley Field and now a political discussion. Shall we go for the hat-trick and discuss religion? Okay, here goes: my god is better than yours.

I'd love to discuss the issue of the U.S.'s standing in the world, but that's a topic for another forum.

True, I guess we better stick to gaming, It's much more satisfying anyhow.

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 55
RE: Where do you live? - 6/1/2007 9:14:11 PM   
spruce

hello hello, as European I like to sympathise with the rebels - just to be rebellious !

Post #: 56
RE: Where do you live? - 6/1/2007 10:14:58 PM   
Zap

WZH55, Drex, go up to Chico and Sac weekly to pick-up my loads(truck). Live on top of the Grapevine, Southern Cal.

(in reply to Drex)
Post #: 57
RE: Where do you live? - 6/1/2007 10:19:51 PM   
Zap

quote:

quote:

Mo Reb

I'm glad you did'nt speak badly about Wrigley field itself, or those would have been fightin words. Thats were I watched my first baseball game as a9 year old.

Post #: 58
RE: Where do you live? - 6/1/2007 10:45:22 PM   
General Quarters

Wrong Question?

The poll asked, where do you live? I have lived in Penn the last few years but a better question might be, where are your roots?

My Civil War roots are in the South, mainly in Tennessee. My grandfather had a "plantation" -- the house is still there and it looks more like a farm. But we have a photo of a statesmanlike painting of him and I guess he was the leading man of the county -- "Squire Martin" they called him.

It was in the vicinity of Puryear, just west of Tenn River and just south of Ky border, the same county that Hank Williams was from. It is said that Squire Martin had a blood vessel burst in his head right after making a heated speech denouncing Lincoln.

I am very glad Lincoln preserved the Union but, when I listen to music, I want it to be Alan Jackson, and when I watch a CW movie or play a game, I think, Maybe Lee will win this time!

(in reply to Zap)
Post #: 59
RE: Where do you live? - 6/2/2007 1:09:55 AM   
Missouri_Rebel

quote:

I'm glad you did'nt speak badly about Wrigley field itself, or those would have been fightin words. Thats were I watched my first baseball game as a9 year old.

Heck no. How could I say anything bad about that awesome stadium. Too bad every time I go my Cardinals get beat. Dang fans always make you feel right at home after a loss. Almost like they just won the Pendant. Which is when I remind them of all the Cardinals'. All in good fun.

I remember a few years ago we got on the Metro from Arlinton Raceway and as soon as we boarded a voice come over the intercom stating 'Cardinal fan sighting, and the whole place booed. It was great. Oh and those dang cab drivers. Bout scared this poor country boy to death. Great times. And did I mention Wrigglyville Dogs. MMMMM Just a couple blocks away from the stadium.on Addison,The best meneu. Sorry, no health food.

Sorry again Gil. Sometimes things are said that sound different than how they were meant. Culture gap it would seem.Lets keep it light fellows.

mo reb

< Message edited by Missouri_Rebel -- 6/2/2007 1:10:12 AM >

(in reply to Zap)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> RE: Where do you live? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI