Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

new purchaser

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Forge of Freedom - Support >> new purchaser Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
new purchaser - 6/7/2007 6:32:40 AM   
shenandoah

I just bought FOF in physical shipment and digital download. I'd rather not wait for the cd to play and would like to make an attempt at a download. Where do I start for that?
Post #: 1
RE: new purchaser - 6/7/2007 6:59:28 AM   
Walloc

If u didnt get the option on buying i know i did.
Use:

www.findmyorder.com

Need to have details of purchase for that

Kind regards,

Rasmus

(in reply to shenandoah)
Post #: 2
RE: new purchaser - 6/7/2007 7:46:35 AM   
Gil R.

Shenandoah,
I'm glad that you'll finally be playing. Amazing that you've done so much work for the game without owning it. (But based on a previous comment, I guess you might not have written as many bios if you had already been playing the game...)

(in reply to Walloc)
Post #: 3
RE: new purchaser - 6/7/2007 4:32:26 PM   
shenandoah

Thanks Rasmus for the info. I went there and my first attempt to download was unsuccessful after 2 hours. Tried again and after 2 hours was successful. Everything was ready to play and I pushed Play and the game began to load up but stopped before finishing and said I have an assertion failure and it wouldn't load up. I believe this is the old version. So I will download the 1.9.23 version then try again. Now that there is a sword on the line, I have to start playing.

Kind Regards,
Andy

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 4
RE: new purchaser - 6/7/2007 6:06:41 PM   
shenandoah

I have loaded 1.9.23 and the game is playing. Just very slow on my old computer that is the one connected to the internet. Time to do a little campaigning.

(in reply to shenandoah)
Post #: 5
RE: new purchaser - 6/7/2007 8:18:14 PM   
sirduke_slith

Good Luck!!!

(in reply to shenandoah)
Post #: 6
RE: new purchaser - 6/7/2007 8:54:37 PM   
cesteman

quote:

ORIGINAL: shenandoah

I have loaded 1.9.23 and the game is playing. Just very slow on my old computer that is the one connected to the internet. Time to do a little campaigning.

I had the same problem with the game being slow to load on my laptop. I suspect the computer just doesn't have the right video requirements but still loaded after about 8+ minutes. I ran my defrag and disk clean up and this helped a lot! Now the game takes about 1-2 minutes to load. You might try shutting down anything that is running in the backgroound as this well help the game load faster. Hope this helps.

(in reply to shenandoah)
Post #: 7
RE: new purchaser - 6/7/2007 11:28:57 PM   
jkBluesman

Yes, and turning off the shadows of the units in detailed battle helps as does turning off music and sounds (though I like the sounds).

(in reply to cesteman)
Post #: 8
RE: new purchaser - 6/8/2007 8:00:33 AM   
cesteman

I didn't know shadows were even an option to turn off. I wonder if you can turn off the blood as well when your troops get beat up by the AI?

(in reply to jkBluesman)
Post #: 9
RE: new purchaser - 6/8/2007 3:53:11 PM   
ericbabe

The blood is built into the cells of the unit animation and so isn't a separate graphic that can be shut off.  The shadows are especially time consuming to draw as they have to use a separate routine that does shading.

(in reply to cesteman)
Post #: 10
RE: new purchaser - 6/8/2007 4:15:44 PM   
shenandoah

My old computer told me I needed more RAM and said that this is the only way to with little graphics. In detail battle, I have little squares that show me if they are either inf, art, cav or supply.

Looking forward to receiving the box/cd version. Then I can install it on my new/fast computer not connected to the internet. I just have to find a way to get the 1.9.23 version from the old comp to the new. I heard about a little memory card that you can plug directly into USB port. That should have enough space for transfering 1.9.23 to the new comp.

Is there any better suggestions on transferring files from one comp to another. Could I directly connect both comps through USB ports?

(in reply to ericbabe)
Post #: 11
RE: new purchaser - 6/8/2007 6:18:08 PM   
jkBluesman

Okay, got me here.

(in reply to cesteman)
Post #: 12
RE: new purchaser - 6/8/2007 6:27:36 PM   
Gil R.

You don't have a CD-burner on the old one?

There are definitely programs for migrating files from one machine to another, but I have no idea what they are. If no one here helps, just post in that sub-forum on tech advice at the top of the main Matrix forum.

(in reply to jkBluesman)
Post #: 13
RE: new purchaser - 6/8/2007 7:58:31 PM   
cesteman

quote:

ORIGINAL: shenandoah

My old computer told me I needed more RAM and said that this is the only way to with little graphics. In detail battle, I have little squares that show me if they are either inf, art, cav or supply.

Looking forward to receiving the box/cd version. Then I can install it on my new/fast computer not connected to the internet. I just have to find a way to get the 1.9.23 version from the old comp to the new. I heard about a little memory card that you can plug directly into USB port. That should have enough space for transfering 1.9.23 to the new comp.

Is there any better suggestions on transferring files from one comp to another. Could I directly connect both comps through USB ports?

There is a USB cable you can buy for computer to computer file transfers. Wal Mart sells it with the software. easy to install just follow the directions. It's cheap, and I know you'll probably use it at some other point. Only reason I know about this option is I bought it by accident when I was looking for a USB cable for my printer. Oh, if you use memory stick, be careful. Older sticks which you plug into your USB port didn't have a lot of memory. Just my two cents. Enjoy!

(in reply to shenandoah)
Post #: 14
RE: new purchaser - 7/19/2007 6:14:54 PM   
shenandoah

I just wanted to send an update. I bought a Sandisk flash memory card 2GB $30 and successfully transferred lastest version from old comp to new comp by USB ports.

It was bit confusing at first loading/unloading the memory card. But now everything is working great. Goodbye cds!

Shenandoah

(in reply to cesteman)
Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Forge of Freedom - Support >> new purchaser Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI