Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

*** Band of Brothers - Revisited ***

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> *** Band of Brothers - Revisited *** Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
*** Band of Brothers - Revisited *** - 6/10/2007 12:11:45 AM   
Warfare1

I had watched the series on TV a while back being able to watch only a few episodes. From what I saw it was pretty good.

I had always wanted to buy the full dvd series, but at over $100.00 it was pretty pricey.

However, this week there was a sale on the series and I picked it up.

I have been watching it over the past few days and I have to say what a truly excellent series this turned out to be. It has exceeded my expectations.

The acting, writing, the action scenes, the attention to detail, all are top notch. It really makes you feel you are actually there in battle. I was surprised to see Jadgpanthers, StuGs, half-tracks, Tigers, etc....

Most importantly of all is the respect the creators of this series has shown to their subject matter. In an age of anti-heroes and of apologetic WWII movies, this series is a real pleasure to behold.

Filled with extras, and enclosed in a metal case, this 10-hour series comes highly recommended. If you haven't seen it yet, or if you are looking for a great purchase for the summer time, then this is the series to get. Truly one of the very best things HBO has produced.

Editorial Reviews
Amazon.com

An impressively rigorous, unsentimental, and harrowing look at combat during World War II, Band of Brothers follows a company of airborne infantry--Easy Company--from boot camp through the end of the war. The brutality of training takes the audience by increments to the even greater brutality of the war; Easy Company took part in some of the most difficult battles, including the D-Day invasion of Normandy, the failed invasion of Holland, and the Battle of the Bulge, as well as the liberation of a concentration camp and the capture of Hitler's Eagle's Nest. But what makes these episodes work is not their historical sweep but their emphasis on riveting details (such as the rattle of a plane as the paratroopers wait to leap, or a flower in the buttonhole of a German soldier) and procedures (from military tactics to the workings of bureaucratic hierarchies). The scope of this miniseries (10 episodes, plus an actual documentary filled with interviews with surviving veterans) allows not only a thoroughness impossible in a two-hour movie, but also captures the wide range of responses to the stress and trauma of war--fear, cynicism, cruelty, compassion, and all-encompassing confusion. The result is a realism that makes both simplistic judgments and jingoistic enthusiasm impossible; the things these soldiers had to do are both terrible and understandable, and the psychological price they paid is made clear. The writing, directing, and acting are superb throughout. The cast is largely unknown, emphasizing the team of actors as a whole unit, much like the regiment; Damian Lewis and Ron Livingston play the central roles of two officers with grit and intelligence. Band of Brothers turns a vast historical event into a series of potent personal experiences; it's a deeply engrossing and affecting accomplishment. --Bret Fetzer

Product Description

Based on the bestseller by Stephen E. Ambrose, the epic 10-part miniseries Band of Brothers tells the story of Easy Company, 506th Regiment of the 101st Airborne Division, U.S. Army. Drawn from interviews with survivors of Easy Company, as well as soldiers' journals and letters, Band of Brothers chronicles the experiences of these men who knew extraordinary bravery and extraordinary fear. They were an elite rifle company parachuting into France early on D-Day morning, fighting in the Battle of the Bulge and capturing Hitler's Eagle's Nest at Berchtesgaden. They were also a unit that suffered 150 percent casualties, and whose lives became legend.

Link:

http://www.amazon.com/Band-Brothers-David-Frankel/dp/B00006CXSS

NEW HBO PACIFIC WAR MINISERIES

HBO Films has given the green light to "The Pacific," the 10-hour miniseries from executive producers Tom Hanks and Steven Spielberg that serves as the follow-up to the duo's Emmy-winning 2001 HBO miniseries "Band of Brothers."

It will start filming this summer.

A companion piece to the World War II saga "Brothers," "Pacific" tracks the intertwined odysseys of three U.S. Marines -- Robert Leckie, John Basilone and Eugene Sledge -- across the vast canvas of the Pacific, from the first clash with the Japanese in the jungles of Guadalcanal to the triumphant return home after V-J Day.

As far as budget goes, "Pacific" will out-pace "Brothers," which in 2001 became the most expensive miniseries ever at more than $120 million. Sources indicated that "Pacific" will cost nearly $200 million.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/television/news/e3i91266009d4f35a6c91edce1c1949270f

http://www.zap2it.com/tv/news/zap-hbogreenlightsthepacific,0,1573322.story

http://the-pacific-war.com/

Attachment (2)

< Message edited by Warfare1 -- 6/10/2007 12:31:03 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: *** Band of Brothers - Revisited *** - 6/10/2007 12:32:25 AM   
Hertston

Superb series. The only gripe I really have with it is that they kept the dialog free from the bad language that in many places you would expect. I know why they did, and I guess it means more kids could watch something they really should see, but it really grates in some scenes where suitably sanitary alternative expletives are used.

(in reply to Warfare1)
Post #: 2
RE: *** Band of Brothers - Revisited *** - 6/10/2007 12:37:09 AM   
KG Erwin

I case you didn't know, I've been a member of the Pacific War forum almost since its inception. I'm really looking forward to "The Pacific" miniseries. Much of it will be filmed in Australia.

As for "Band of Brothers", I own the metal box set of it. It is indeed a masterpiece.

In the box set, though, the real gem is the documentary. I am still amazed at how close some of the actors, for example Bill Guarnere's character, came to capturing the real man. As for Damien Lewis, the Englishman who played Dick Winters, he was also excellent in his portrayal of the soft-spoken Pennsylvanian who became a master tactician and combat leader.

(in reply to Warfare1)
Post #: 3
RE: *** Band of Brothers - Revisited *** - 6/10/2007 12:41:10 AM   
Warfare1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hertston

Superb series. The only gripe I really have with it is that they kept the dialog free from the bad language that in many places you would expect. I know why they did, and I guess it means more kids could watch something they really should see, but it really grates in some scenes where suitably sanitary alternative expletives are used.

I certainly understand what you mean.

But I liked the way the creators of the series did do it.

Lately I have noticed, especially from HBO, that foul language is truly over-the-top. I watched the first episode of Deadwood, for example, and I heard more foul language in the first 10 minutes than in a dozen movies I have seen. It completely put me off the series.

Being an adult film or series doesn't have to mean coarse, foul language. It should mean intelligent writing and acting and authentic scenes.

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 4
RE: *** Band of Brothers - Revisited *** - 6/10/2007 12:46:46 AM   
KG Erwin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hertston

That's funny, Hertson. The real Dick Winters opined that the series featured TOO MUCH profanity. The USA version has quite a bit of it. "F*ck" was used more than I'd expect from a WWII-era film. Of course, the troops probably didn't use that word too often in Winters' presence, out of respect for him, as he is a deeply religious man.

< Message edited by KG Erwin -- 6/10/2007 12:51:38 AM >

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 5
RE: *** Band of Brothers - Revisited *** - 6/10/2007 12:47:25 AM   
Warfare1

quote:

ORIGINAL: KG Erwin

I case you didn't know, I've been a member of the Pacific War forum almost since its inception. I'm really looking forward to "The Pacific" miniseries. Much of it will be filmed in Australia.

As for "Band of Brothers", I own the metal box set of it. It is indeed a masterpiece.

In the box set, though, the real gem is the documentary. I am still amazed at how close some of the actors, for example Bill Guarnere's character, came to capturing the real man. As for Damien Lewis, the Englishman who played Dick Winters, he was also excellent in his portrayal of the soft-spoken Pennsylvanian who became a master tactician and combat leader.

I like the fact they used relatively unknown actors. Made it feel more authentic.

And the guy who played Winters did a superb job.

This is the first movie and/or series that I would rate 10/10. Truly a must buy.

If the Pacific series is this good, I'll be buying the dvd set regardless of the price when it's first released. This is the type of programming I want to support.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 6
RE: *** Band of Brothers - Revisited *** - 6/10/2007 12:55:19 AM   
Arctic Blast

I still haven't gone out and actually purchased this, but now that it seems to have dropped quite a bit in price all over the place, I shall bite the bullet and do so. Absolutely loved it on TV, and I'd love to see the docs that were included with the set.

Meditation on inevitable death should be performed daily.

(in reply to Warfare1)
Post #: 7
RE: *** Band of Brothers - Revisited *** - 6/10/2007 12:57:38 AM   
Warfare1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Arctic Blast

I still haven't gone out and actually purchased this, but now that it seems to have dropped quite a bit in price all over the place, I shall bite the bullet and do so. Absolutely loved it on TV, and I'd love to see the docs that were included with the set.

You will love this dvd set.

I notice you live in Canada. Zellers had it on sale on Friday for $56.00.

(in reply to Arctic Blast)
Post #: 8
RE: *** Band of Brothers - Revisited *** - 6/10/2007 1:03:44 AM   
KG Erwin

quote:

Arctic Blast, I can gurantee that this set will become a valued part of your DVD collection. I've watched it repeatedly, and there's new facets you'll discover upon each revisit.

The extras are also invaluable. There are sidebars (the "field guides") that explain each character, as the 2nd Battalion underwent many personnel/command changes in that brief period of time.

PS There's still one segment that makes me cry each time I watch it. "Why We Fight". That's when the 2/506 liberates a concentration camp. It's a heartbreaker.

< Message edited by KG Erwin -- 6/10/2007 2:04:56 AM >

Post #: 9
RE: *** Band of Brothers - Revisited *** - 6/10/2007 1:15:56 AM   
KG Erwin

A sad sidenote: the man who composed that brilliant music, Michael Kamen, has since passed away. Michael's father served in the war, and died in it.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 10
RE: *** Band of Brothers - Revisited *** - 6/10/2007 1:32:35 AM   
Gil R.

Ahh, the beauty of owning a DVD-recorder and subscribing to HBO -- I've got the series and documentary on about $2 worth of blank DVD's...

You know, this thread reminds me: a few weeks ago I was on another forum and saw some posts by people complaining that the story told was somewhat inaccurate, in that Ambrose pretty much highlighted the performance of one unit and thus minimized the roles played by other units in the same battles and theaters. Does anyone out there think there's something to this?

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 11
RE: *** Band of Brothers - Revisited *** - 6/10/2007 1:32:59 AM   
CJMello63

On a side note a site run by Wild Bill's grandson:

http://www.wildbillguarnere.com/

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 12
RE: *** Band of Brothers - Revisited *** - 6/10/2007 12:49:13 PM   
martxyz

I never did watch Band of Brothers, though I hear its production values were good. The biggest criticism of the series that I've heard is that it over-emphasised the role of Winters, from whom Ambrose got most of his information. The suggestion is that he was not actually on the line that long, and that he was soon replaced by an officer who was far more popular. In the series, Winters gets the hero treatment, and a lot of people have been upset by the innacuracy of that. In addition, the Company NEVER went near the Eagles Nest. It was "liberated" by allies of other nations. There was no real resistance. I think an American company turned up a day later. They didn't have to fight anybody. That's no criticism of what happened in reality, but it is a criticism of the Series.
Oral historians can add a great deal to the the record of what happened. The problem comes when they are sloppy. Sometimes the same guy gets it right in one book and wrong in another.
Anyway, I am aware of historical innacuracies, and some discontent by some of the veteran's that served, in that company and elsewhere.
There is a British aside. Over here there was a complaint that only one British officer was seen and he was a bit of an idiot. In the UK there is a journalist, Max Hastings, who is also a respected WW2 historian, who combines history, oral history, and political analysis. I read his analysis of how the Americans and the British viewed each other. The British tended to see the Americans as a over-confident in their abilities, with a big tendency to brag. The Americans saw the Britissh (the comman at least) as a bunch of soldiers who thought that they were taking part in some sort of jolly game, and were, as a result, never professional enough. His conclusion was, that for all that, they were both equally professional. Interestingly, although he had no sympathy with the Germans  whatsoever (as in NONE), he still rated the German forces as more professional than either the Commowealth forces or the Americans.

If it's any consolation to US readers, his opinion of Market Garden is that the US Airborne did their job well, whilst the British made a pig's ear of it. Apparently the British called it, prior to the operation, "Operation KCB", as they were felt that the only reason it proceeded,  was because Browning wanted a knighthood. Well, he got his knighthood (it's British for "goodbye"), and was then posted as far away from any action as possible, because of his lack of judgement.

That was a it of a ramble. Sorry about that. Incidentally, I want to make it clear that I mean no disrespect to any allied combatants. I think the clue though, to the problem with the series was it's headline that "They were the best of the best", which I'm sure will have thousands of other veterans choking on their coffee.

Cheers,

Martin

(in reply to CJMello63)
Post #: 13
RE: *** Band of Brothers - Revisited *** - 6/10/2007 2:56:40 PM   
Fred98

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gil R.
Does anybody think there is anything to this?

No. The author could have chosen any company of the 82nd or 101st and their stories were much the same.

However the company in question was the one to capture Hitler's Eagles Nest so they become the obvious choice.

-

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 14
RE: *** Band of Brothers - Revisited *** - 6/10/2007 6:13:03 PM   
martxyz

The Eagles Nest
Hi everyone. Just out of interest, I thought it might give you a laugh to know that there are a number of claimants to the prize of the Eagles Nest. Two completely different companies of the 506th claim to have taken it. The French claim to have taken it. The Canadian's were, as I recall claimed to be "second in", or "nearby", with C (or was it E?) company of the 506th arriving a day later (or maybe two days before!).  I suppose the moral of the story is that if the prize is prestigious enough, everyone will claim to have got the winning ticket. The good news I think is that there wasn't much resistance, and WHOEVER turned up over the next 2 or 3 days seem to have hit the wine cellars! And why not? whoever they were, they will have been completely knackered from everything they'd done before.
Anyway, in love and war, and film-making; "all must have prizes".

I suspect I haven't helped much. 

Martin

(in reply to Fred98)
Post #: 15
RE: *** Band of Brothers - Revisited *** - 6/10/2007 6:13:30 PM   
CJMello63

I took it.

(in reply to martxyz)
Post #: 16
RE: *** Band of Brothers - Revisited *** - 6/11/2007 12:46:57 AM   
Arctic Blast

Wow...I've been looking around online...this set has REALLY dropped in price, which was what was always holding me back before. (Loved the series the first time I saw it...but over a hundred bucks? That's a bit steep!) Well, it seems to be about half that much almost universally in the local market. So, this is now a MUST buy for me. I'm going to try and pick this up this week.

Meditation on inevitable death should be performed daily.

(in reply to CJMello63)
Post #: 17
RE: *** Band of Brothers - Revisited *** - 6/11/2007 3:33:02 AM   
Warfare1

I try not to over analyze movies too much. I take it for granted there will always be some historical inaccuracies in most things.

What I look for, especially in war movies, is: Does the movie engage me? Is it compelling? Does it represent well what it is depicting? Does it give me a sense of time and place?

And Band of Brothers does all of this and more. The battles are so well done, that I tend to look at it as being representative of the type of fighting that took place in Normandy, France and Belgium. Small unit actions, especially, are superbly done. It helps us to understand the type of fighting that went on by soldiers in those settings.

What I especially liked was the second episode when the troopers were in the C-47s heading for Normandy. It was so realistic.

Considering it was made for TV, BoB is cinematic, movie quality entertainment.

< Message edited by Warfare1 -- 6/11/2007 4:00:20 AM >

Post #: 18
RE: *** Band of Brothers - Revisited *** - 6/11/2007 3:37:28 AM   
Warfare1

quote:

Wow...I've been looking around online...this set has REALLY dropped in price, which was what was always holding me back before. (Loved the series the first time I saw it...but over a hundred bucks? That's a bit steep!) Well, it seems to be about half that much almost universally in the local market. So, this is now a MUST buy for me. I'm going to try and pick this up this week.

It's such a great deal - and highly re-watchable.

Some companion movies I would recommend would be:

Saving Private Ryan

Ike: Countdown to D-Day

Patton

Post #: 19
RE: *** Band of Brothers - Revisited *** - 6/11/2007 4:20:41 AM   
Plodder

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joe 98

quote:

Does anybody think there is anything to this?

No. The author could have chosen any company of the 82nd or 101st and their stories were much the same.

However the company in question was the one to capture Hitler's Eagles Nest so they become the obvious choice.

-

The main reason Ambrose wrote the book about them is that the E company veterans are still really close-knit.Therefore it would have been a lot easier to write as all the guys in the unit were accessible.

Gen. Montgomery: "Your men don't salute much."
Gen. Freyberg: "Well, if you wave at them they'll usually wave back."

(in reply to Fred98)
Post #: 20
RE: *** Band of Brothers - Revisited *** - 6/11/2007 11:45:02 AM   
freeboy

Interesting tid bit, lt dike, is that the empty shirt dufus lt? In the series I think he dies, and the book he is seen promoted and having a sstaff position... some things never change.. as for winters... well, many think he should have received a Medal of Honor for the attacks during  the first week of Dday, and I do think the feild attack in holland was perhaps the most herioc.. where the smoke to signal the men fails and he charges allone into the germans.. It would be interesting to see if THAT actually happened! GREAT Series !

(in reply to Plodder)
Post #: 21
RE: *** Band of Brothers - Revisited *** - 6/11/2007 2:00:32 PM   
m10bob

quote:

Ahh, the beauty of owning a DVD-recorder and subscribing to HBO -- I've got the series and documentary on about $2 worth of blank DVD's...

You know, this thread reminds me: a few weeks ago I was on another forum and saw some posts by people complaining that the story told was somewhat inaccurate, in that Ambrose pretty much highlighted the performance of one unit and thus minimized the roles played by other units in the same battles and theaters. Does anyone out there think there's something to this?

If a guy in a REMF unit is frustrated that HIS unit has never been in a feature film, of course he might feel slighted, but then, maybe the exploits of the 9162nd Mess Kit Repair Company,(Handle Platoon) may not have performed such a steller deed as the 101st??

The film is of course a "must have", and IMHO treated both sides with respect..

< Message edited by m10bob -- 6/11/2007 8:14:36 PM >

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 22
RE: *** Band of Brothers - Revisited *** - 6/11/2007 3:59:27 PM   
JudgeDredd

quote:

ORIGINAL: m10bob
If a guy in a REMF

haha - I havn't heard REMF in years!!

Alba gu' brath

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 23
RE: *** Band of Brothers - Revisited *** - 6/11/2007 5:04:19 PM   
BAL

quote:

...but then, maybe the exploits of the 9162nd Mess Kit Repair Company,(Handle Platoon) may not have performed such a steller deed as the 101st??

Maybe not, but they could sure beat those airborne guys in a cussin' contest. 

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 24
RE: *** Band of Brothers - Revisited *** - 6/11/2007 8:17:43 PM   
m10bob

quote:

ORIGINAL: BAL

quote:

...but then, maybe the exploits of the 9162nd Mess Kit Repair Company,(Handle Platoon) may not have performed such a steller deed as the 101st??

Maybe not, but they could sure beat those airborne guys in a cussin' contest. 

That is true....But we must allow LEGS to compensate for their short-comings somehow!

(in reply to BAL)
Post #: 25
RE: *** Band of Brothers - Revisited *** - 6/11/2007 10:00:37 PM   
andym

Saw the Tin  boxed set in Norwich HMV for £23!!!!Its a great series and some excelelnt performances by some of our great BRITISH actors!And it was made mostly in the UK!!

Press to Test...............Release to Detonate!

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 26
RE: *** Band of Brothers - Revisited *** - 6/12/2007 8:56:05 AM   
Plodder

quote:

ORIGINAL: andym

Saw the Tin boxed set in Norwich HMV for £23!!!!Its a great series and some excelelnt performances by some of our great BRITISH actors!And it was made mostly in the UK!!

Yep,mainly shot at Hatfield. I signed up to be an extra on it but my flatmates at the time forgot to pass on the phone message to me for the start date Would have been an awesome experience..

Gen. Montgomery: "Your men don't salute much."
Gen. Freyberg: "Well, if you wave at them they'll usually wave back."

(in reply to andym)
Post #: 27
RE: *** Band of Brothers - Revisited *** - 6/12/2007 10:23:15 AM   
Rune Iversen

quote:

There is a lot of truth to this. But if you want to capture the grittiness of WW2 small unit action you have to limit your perspective by necessity. If it had been the goal of the series to describe the grand strategic narrative of the war, but chosing only to focus on the 101st, it would have been something else.

Ignoring the wulfir
Fighting the EUnuchs from within

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 28
RE: *** Band of Brothers - Revisited *** - 6/13/2007 4:27:27 PM   
Warfare1

I just finished watching all 10 episodes of BoB.

Just outstanding. It stands head and shoulders above most war movies made for the theaters. There are just so many great moments, far too many to list here.

This is a series I am going to watch over-and-over again. It is easily worth 10 times what I paid for it. I'm now going to watch the documentaries on the bonus disc.

Hard to believe this was made for TV.

With Father's Day right around the corner, I don't think you could give a better, longer-lasting gift, than this series.

(in reply to Rune Iversen)
Post #: 29
RE: *** Band of Brothers - Revisited *** - 6/13/2007 7:10:36 PM   
Froonp

quote:

ORIGINAL: KG Erwin

Any idea of what this miniserie title will be, or where to look at informations about it ?

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> *** Band of Brothers - Revisited *** Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI