Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Legendary Brigades

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Legendary Brigades Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Legendary Brigades - 6/10/2007 11:27:02 AM   
LuckyCJS1001

I have owned the game for a while now but have only just started to 'get into it'

Just started the Standard Campaign and in Southern Kentucky is the 'Gamecock Brigade'. Excellent stats and abilities.

Reading the Bio its says that this Brigade earn't it's status in various place and times under Pickett.

My question is how come it is legendary at the start of the war ?

This is not a moan - just interested.

Chris
Post #: 1
RE: Legendary Brigades - 6/10/2007 11:43:25 AM   
jkBluesman

If you do not want to have one of those units at the start of the game, turn it off. I think the option is called "No Starting Legendary Units". If you take that option you will only get those LU's that fit the scenario.

(in reply to LuckyCJS1001)
Post #: 2
RE: Legendary Brigades - 6/10/2007 12:54:04 PM   
LuckyCJS1001

Thanks Bluesman

Teach me to RTFM properly.

(in reply to jkBluesman)
Post #: 3
RE: Legendary Brigades - 6/10/2007 3:02:28 PM   
Gray_Lensman

Keep in mind that the option "No Starting Legendary Units", only affects the starting Legendary Units. As play proceeds, LUs (Legendary Units) will be randomly created when you create new units, and at the moment, occasionally this will result in duplication of LUs being created that the scenario started with.

You've GOT to hold them back!

(in reply to LuckyCJS1001)
Post #: 4
RE: Legendary Brigades - 6/10/2007 7:24:49 PM   
Gil R.

We came up with the idea of "Legendary Units" as a new and different way of adding some flavor to the game. In retrospect, it would have been great to have them appear no earlier than the date they came to be, but when I was putting together the file of 101 LU's this only occurred to me deep in the process, and there wasn't time to go back. Since we have a system for assigning start dates to generals and having them appear in the game no earlier than they became generals in the war, we can definitely make it so that LU's have start dates. This, however, would still require a good chunk of research. It also doesn't make as much sense when each side has just 51-52 LU's, since they're hard enough to come by as is without having a date restriction. However, for the expansion pack I'd definitely like to add several dozen more, in which case it would make perfect sense to assign them start dates.

Another change -- and again this would require some research -- would be to assign them to historical theaters, so that if you play with random LU's at the start of the game you won't have the Stonewall Brigade randomly assigning to Arkansas.

(in reply to Gray_Lensman)
Post #: 5
RE: Legendary Brigades - 6/10/2007 7:45:32 PM   
jchastain

To me, the concept always was that there were certain units that rose above and beyond and thereby gained their rightful place in history.  And even before the fateful events that brought them their acclaim, the men of those units were still a special sort.  Starting LUs is simply the recognition of such a group of special men who have the potential to become extraordinary.  Like any other unit, they begin green and they must learn their trade to become the fearsome force that history made them into.  But the men themselves already have that special something within them (in this case signified by special skills/attributes).

In game terms, it is difficult to strictly tie them to history. Players might not raise units where they were historically created. There are governors turnovers, training grounds, armories and all sorts of elements of the strategic game that influence where players should build units and I wouldn't think we'd want those elements of the game to be strictly constrained by historical recruiting parameters. Therefore allowing the LUs to be placed randomly makes sense to me. The names, therefore, are just for color.

That decision makes sense to me as I think it gives players greater latitude and makes a better game. That's just my own opinion though.

< Message edited by jchastain -- 6/10/2007 7:51:40 PM >

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 6
RE: Legendary Brigades - 6/10/2007 11:39:44 PM   
jkBluesman

Another way would be to let the players choose new names from a list of LUs after a battle in which this or that units fought remarkably. But of course it is already possible to change the name by one's own choice.

The historic start dates could be found for sure. But a "death" date would be more difficult. However there was one for every brigade as they suffered all high casualties with the war going on.

(in reply to jchastain)
Post #: 7
RE: Legendary Brigades - 6/11/2007 12:15:02 AM   
Gray_Lensman

I think it would be cool if somehow, at the end of a battle in which a unit performed well, that it might be "promoted" into one of the Legendary Units, thereby gaining the listed special attribs. etc.

You've GOT to hold them back!

(in reply to jkBluesman)
Post #: 8
RE: Legendary Brigades - 6/11/2007 6:37:41 AM   
Gil R.

These are interesting ideas, but would involve a lot of new work. Perhaps add them to the Wish List thread and we'll consider them for the expansion pack.

(in reply to Gray_Lensman)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Legendary Brigades Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI