Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Please Someone post an AAR

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> John Tiller's Campaign Series >> Please Someone post an AAR Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Please Someone post an AAR - 6/12/2007 8:45:34 AM   
WhiteOwl

Thinking of buying this game but afraid to do so sight unseen. I would be very appreciative if someone could do an AAR vs. PC or point me to one, preferrably for a smaller scenario, which is the type that holds my interest. I tried searching for some fan sites with info before posting this but found them few and far between. Also, am checking daily for any news in the AAR thread but none so far.

Another question, if I may, can someone post the list of scenarios and their size, want to know if there are enough smaller scenarios out there for me to play, not crazy about (and lack the time/patience to play) the large ones.

Thanks very much in advance!
Post #: 1
RE: Please Someone post an AAR - 6/12/2007 12:07:29 PM   
ojuzu

It's funny because I was in exactly your position yesterday. I was intrigued with this game but a bit leery since I hadn't played it or heard anything about it. I prefer smaller battles as well since an hour or two is my preferred amount of time to spend per game even if I end up playing all night. I'm not sure why that is...

Anyway, the game definitely skews towards the bigger battles but there are a lot of smaller ones, too. Fortunately, each scenario has a complexity rating that relates to the number of units used in the battle. The values include the total number of units for both sides including reinforcements.

Here's the chart from the manual:

Complexity / # of Units in Scenario
1 1-20
2 21-50
3 51-90
4 91-140
5 141-200
6 201-280
7 281-380
8 381-500
9 501-750
10 >750

I've only had the game for a day but I've been playing just the smaller 1-3 complexity scenarios and they've been a lot of fun. Of course there is a finite number of the smaller scenarios so it is a bit limited. Though if you can go up to the level 4 scenarios, there are quite a few of them... at least 25 in the East Front package alone.

All in all, I think it's one of the best wargames I've ever played. (Panzer General was my introduction to wargaming to give you some perspective.) I also really like Battles in Normandy but most of the battles are way too long for me so I haven't played it as much as I would've liked. Campaign Series (partially) solves that problem and I honestly think it's a better game than Battles in Normandy (for me anyway.)

Actually, I would love to see Matrix put out a game that has great strategy and realistic units but designed to be played and completed in shorter sessions. I'm a game developer myself and I've been thinking about doing it but wargaming is not my speciality.

(in reply to WhiteOwl)
Post #: 2
RE: Please Someone post an AAR - 6/12/2007 5:32:23 PM   
Jason Petho

You can find a number of After Action reports here:

http://www.theblitz.org/game_action/after_action_reports.php

Jason Petho

(in reply to ojuzu)
Post #: 3
RE: Please Someone post an AAR - 6/12/2007 5:35:40 PM   
1925frank

With the editor, you can build your own small scenarios fairly quickly.  I was always frustrated with the SPWAW editor, but I found the Campaign Series editor easy to learn.  If you're not sure how certain units function or about certain game features, you can build a small scenario designed to answer those questions.  I prefer small scenarios as well.  Best of all, if a scenario concept doesn't pan out, you can always scrap the scenario.  Play testing is also simplified because the game itself doesn't take long to play.  Editing a scenario becomes far simpler for the same reason.

(in reply to ojuzu)
Post #: 4
RE: Please Someone post an AAR - 6/13/2007 2:39:50 AM   
big dawg

Hello White Owl & Ojuzu 

Jason & I are members at The Blitz club. (Feel free to join!!)

This is a link to a AAR of the EFII scenario "The Battle IS Joined" where UMBRO played GARNI in a Top Gun Tournament.

Umbro wrote a wonderful AAR that explains how the battle turned out. It is one of the best AAR I have seen. You might like to read it.

http://www.theblitz.org/game_action/after_action_reports.php?id=87

Playing by email (PBEM) is a blast and you can play the game when it is convenient to you.  I have played against guys all over the world.  Very cool!

I hope this helps. Jack

(in reply to 1925frank)
Post #: 5
RE: Please Someone post an AAR - 6/13/2007 7:01:26 AM   
WhiteOwl

Thanks for the responses; decided to take the plunge and buy this game. I'm off to try it out then!

cheers

(in reply to big dawg)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> John Tiller's Campaign Series >> Please Someone post an AAR Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI