Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Campaign Series Update Support?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> John Tiller's Campaign Series >> Campaign Series Update Support? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Campaign Series Update Support? - 6/12/2007 2:53:36 PM   
Gray_Lensman

I would like to know what sort of update support we can expect regarding this Campaign Series game? I have a handful of John Tiller designs, most of which were formerly Talonsoft games. While working with Talonsoft Mr. Tiller and Talonsoft were reasonably good at updates.

A while back however, I made a purchase of "Total War In Europe: The First Blitzkrieg". This was supposed to be the first in a series of WWII games with more in the series to be released regularly. This is also a Tiller Design. Now I find that he has instead been busy working on the Campaign Series for Matrix. Now, I don't have a problem with Matrix per se in bringing in Mr. Tiller to put together this collection of tactical warfare games of WWII, but I do question his dedication to supporting and updating this software in a timely manner, now that it has been re-released by Matrix. I certainly hope Matrix has some sort of reassurances of update support or code control, in order to keep it supported and updated.

Already, I am reading about some bugs that are left over from the original release and I am waiting to see if Matrix is able to arrange to have them removed. Regardless of how well I like Tiller game designs, I intend to withhold any future purchases of his, (Tiller), designs until I see how well this product is supported and whether I am left holding the bag so to speak with "The First Blitzkrieg"

At the moment, I am heavily into another Matrix game "Forge of Freedom". WCS and Matrix have set a new benchmark in game support regarding that particular product and I would like to think that Mr. Tiller would work with Matrix just as well. Unfortunately, I suspect that will not be the case. Only time will tell.
Post #: 1
RE: Campaign Series Update Support? - 6/12/2007 4:51:39 PM   
CJMello63

I wouldn't worry about John working with Matrix taking anything away from any other title because at any given time he has multiple projects going on. He has good guys in place to do the testing, etc.. When something needs his attention he takes care of it. It has been a little bit since I did a lot of work for JT but look at Smolensk, released in 2000 and upgraded last November.

I doubt Glenn checks these boards but he frequents the Blitz or even Gamesquad. Try asking him there. I didn't work on TFB so I can not give you any info on the status of that, sorry.

(in reply to Gray_Lensman)
Post #: 2
RE: Campaign Series Update Support? - 6/12/2007 5:18:50 PM   
Gray_Lensman

I certainly hope you are correct about update support for this game. One of the bugs I'll be watching for the timely squashing of is the one re: http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1479666.

It seems to have been around since the first release of the game, and yet it is still aggravating players. Seems to me it should have been a priority to remove before re-releasing the game in the first place.

(in reply to CJMello63)
Post #: 3
RE: Campaign Series Update Support? - 6/12/2007 5:21:09 PM   
Jason Petho

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gray_Lensman

I certainly hope you are correct about update support for this game. One of the bugs I'll be watching for the timely squashing of is the one re: http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1479666.

It seems to have been around since the first release of the game, and yet it is still aggravating players. Seems to me it should have been a priority to remove before re-releasing the game in the first place.

If the company edits don't fix the problem that I am including in the update, I will scrap the old campaign files and start from scratch. Of course, that is a big task to complete.

Jason Petho

Post #: 4
RE: Campaign Series Update Support? - 6/12/2007 6:00:57 PM   
CJMello63

Bang it out while you are at work so at least you will get paid for your time. 

(in reply to Jason Petho)
Post #: 5
RE: Campaign Series Update Support? - 6/12/2007 6:25:49 PM   
Jason Petho

quote:

ORIGINAL: CJMello63

Bang it out while you are at work so at least you will get paid for your time. 

*laughs* Can't install anything on the machine. The nerve. I'm plotter hunting though! Good times.

Jason Petho

(in reply to CJMello63)
Post #: 6
RE: Campaign Series Update Support? - 6/12/2007 8:23:03 PM   
Hertston

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gray_Lensman

A while back however, I made a purchase of "Total War In Europe: The First Blitzkrieg". This was supposed to be the first in a series of WWII games with more in the series to be released regularly. This is also a Tiller Design. Now I find that he has instead been busy working on the Campaign Series for Matrix. Now, I don't have a problem with Matrix per se in bringing in Mr. Tiller to put together this collection of tactical warfare games of WWII, but I do question his dedication to supporting and updating this software in a timely manner, now that it has been re-released by Matrix. I certainly hope Matrix has some sort of reassurances of update support or code control, in order to keep it supported and updated.

Already, I am reading about some bugs that are left over from the original release and I am waiting to see if Matrix is able to arrange to have them removed. Regardless of how well I like Tiller game designs, I intend to withhold any future purchases of his, (Tiller), designs until I see how well this product is supported and whether I am left holding the bag so to speak with "The First Blitzkrieg"

I don't really understand your beef. Where do you get 'instead' from? Since that game was released, as far as I can see, he has released SB: Soviet-Afghan War, NC:Jena-Auerstaedt, ACW:Atlanta, ACW:Chickamauga, PC:Budapest and probably (not sure of the dates) PZ: Moscow as well. Why single out the realtively small amount of work he did on the CS re-release? The First Blitzkreig' may well have been intended to the first in a series, but there would only be more if it sold enough. Likewise, War over Vietnam was supposed to be the first in a series of 'Modern Air Power' games, but there have been no more of those either. So what? You have the game you paid for, as do I in the case WoV. Neither of us paid for a sequel as well.

As to ongoing support, I have no idea if Tiller has any ongoing commitment or not, or whether it's up to others now, but all the HPS stuff gets consistently patched and upgraded long after initial release. That means fifty or so games (? haven't counted) - I'm sure another three won't prove a problem. Quite apart from which I don't really see any obligation once the initial screw-up regarding Vista and the East Front add-on, and a few bugs (such as the one you mention) have been fixed. I'm as up for improvements and additional stuff as the next man, but $35 doesn't buy life-long support from anybody. If such things come from the community, that's cool.

< Message edited by Hertston -- 6/12/2007 8:24:21 PM >

Post #: 7
RE: Campaign Series Update Support? - 6/13/2007 1:50:23 AM   
Erik Rutins

Lensman,

Just a quick reply - John is a consummate professional and takes on only what he can handle. The Campaign Series in good hands with the current team and everyone has stepped up to the plate to resolve the release issues as quickly as possilbe. I hope this addresses your concerns.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 8
RE: Campaign Series Update Support? - 6/13/2007 2:43:48 AM   
Gray_Lensman

Erik,

I can only go by my own recent experiences re:The First Blitzkrieg, which has left questions in my own mind about whether his software will get the level of support from him as a programmer that most of the other Matrix titles receive. As you know, I'm really into FoF at the moment, but I do browse around occasionally for other products and recently purchased this one, (Campaign Series), since it was one of Tiller's older (completed) projects, and was somewhat disappointed that more "obvious" bugs from the original release were still present. Since I really do like his game designs, I'm hopeful that you are right in the support/upgade department.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 9
RE: Campaign Series Update Support? - 6/14/2007 5:06:57 AM   
Gray_Lensman

Outstanding! Matrix comes thru again re:patch and great support, my apprehension is somewhat alleviated. My earlier comments were in no way directed at Matrix, by the way, only at John Tiller himself, since he seems to be doing so much at once, and The Total War In Europe series seems to be stalled as a result.

Post #: 10
RE: Campaign Series Update Support? - 6/14/2007 6:01:26 AM   
David Heath

Gray

All I can say is John Tiller has always step up to the plate whenever I have asked for help.  In fact this would never have been possible without his help and the Campaign Series Legion.

David

Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> John Tiller's Campaign Series >> Campaign Series Update Support? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI