Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

I hope its not too late.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> I hope its not too late. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
I hope its not too late. - 9/2/2000 7:48:00 AM   
Tombstone

Would it be possible to add a feature in the campaign editor that would allow you to make the next battle in the campaign not allow the player to upgrade and repair units?? Tomo

Post #: 1
- 9/2/2000 8:28:00 AM   
Tom Proudfoot

It is already in there. The designer picks the number of points given for repairs & upgrades. Set that to zero, and that will take care of it. Tom

(in reply to Tombstone)
Post #: 2
- 9/2/2000 8:35:00 AM   
Figmo

It use to do that - but I haven't seen it in a while. It would put you into a battle and you had to fight with what you had left over from the previous battle (partial squads and all). The only problem with it was at the end of the battle your loses from the previous battle counted against you again. Don't know the current status though - sorry!! Figmo

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes ...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, f

(in reply to Tombstone)
Post #: 3
- 9/2/2000 1:38:00 PM   
Wild Bill

That is the choice of the Campaign designer. For example, you'll find that happening once or twice in my campaigns, where you jump from one battle, say where you had only a draw and go right back into combat with no time for repairs. Now you say you want it, but when it happens, don't come hollering , "I needed to fix my tanks and I couldn't." Sorry Also repair points will vary. It could be that there just weren't enough sprocket wheels and only part of your tanks go back into action for at least one battle. And this will make you careful about losses. Suffer too many and you may not, in fact you probably won't be able to fix them all. And careful, once that starts happening, it could spell doom. With reduced forces, you could suffer even more casualties and never get those first units fixed. Its happened to me It could happen to you. Some pretty tough campaigns coming your way...Wild Bill ------------------ In Arduis Fidelis Wild Bill Wilder Coordinator, Scenario Design Matrix Games

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

(in reply to Tombstone)
Post #: 4
- 9/2/2000 6:06:00 PM   
Tombstone

Sweet, good to hear. I eagerly await 3.0 to finish off the scenarios I've been working on. Tomo

(in reply to Tombstone)
Post #: 5
- 9/2/2000 8:12:00 PM   
Figmo

What about Generated Campaigns and the Long Campaign - It's suppose to do it in those also - but I haven't seen it in a while. Figmo

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes ...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, f

(in reply to Tombstone)
Post #: 6
- 9/2/2000 9:52:00 PM   
U235

Ahhh this is a validation for a point brought up many theads back about the need for tractors to remove tanks from the battle field. If you cannot repair your vehicles for the next battle they will just be sitting ducks on the field. The ability to remove them would be an asset. That was one thing I disliked in SP1 when you were offered to counter attack (or the enemy counter attacked). Maybe it could be a feature in 5.0? If there will be a 5.0. I'll be happy just to get my hands on 4.0

(in reply to Tombstone)
Post #: 7
- 9/2/2000 11:21:00 PM   
Dave R

It would be nice both in the long campainge and Random Campaignes to have the facility to go several battles with little or no ability to repair, but then now and then have a full repair/upgrade. That would be a more realistic option. It's more realistic for a unit to fight several battles before being pulled out of the line to rest, recuperate and re-equip

In times of war we see the worst that man has to offer. But we also see the best that man has to offer.

(in reply to Tombstone)
Post #: 8
- 9/3/2000 10:11:00 AM   
rexmonday

Someone here wanted tractors? We've already got them. Almost. I don't know about other nations, but the British can use a Hippo, and the Germans can use a prime mover to lift and carry immobilised tanks. They can then be relocated to a safer or more tactical useful area of the map. What they CANNOT do is to rotate the body of an immobilised vehicle: when they drop it again its hull still points the same direction as when it was lifted. Doesn't seem to be any way around this. With turretted AFV's it doesn't matter so much, but with Assault Guns and some TDs you just have to be more careful where you drop them again. This whole thing can cause a weird BUG where the lifted tank ends up with a crew of 28. Don't ask me why, I know nothing. A further description of using heavy trucks was given in one of the threads discussing vehicle breakdown IIRC. I think most of the nations have one - look in the info screen for one which says "Can carry vehicles and infantry", and it should do the job. If you want to get fancy, I guess it wouldn't take much to replace the heavy truck icon with something a bit more tractor-like in the OOB editor. Tractors? Who needs them? (Truth be told I have not tried to take a tank off the battlefield on trhe back of a heavy truck... and we all know that you can't guess what the SP engine will do... give it a try)

(in reply to Tombstone)
Post #: 9
- 9/3/2000 10:36:00 AM   
Drake666

Not to historic do since it took 3 Sdfz 9 prime movers to move one tiger. In realaty most of this work was done after the battle was over and was most often done by other armoured units and not tractors. Since them units would have ben fighting they would not have ben free to do this untill the battle was over.

(in reply to Tombstone)
Post #: 10
- 9/4/2000 6:49:00 AM   
rexmonday

I guess there would be a place for tractors and tank recovery vehicles - if only so as to allow for a counter attack at the scene of recovery... but then we start getting units for field kitchens as well... (no offence intended to anyone involved in a field kitchen (and yes I know they were a favorite target during the Winter War))

(in reply to Tombstone)
Post #: 11
- 9/4/2000 10:15:00 PM   
U235

I agree it would probably be too much fluff to include tractors. All I was suggesting was it would be nice to have a realistic way of removing disabled vehicles if you were caught back to back without a chance to repair. I hate leaving equipment for the enemy, especialy if it didn't have a chance to fight from the git go. It would probably be to hard to code recovery vehicles anyway, because they would have to have the ability to leave the board and return. It would not be practical to have a tractor for each damaged afv. Like the field kitchen idea . If the map sizes get much bigger think of all the supporting units that could be involved. Maybe a USO show on the map edge it could be a morale modifier! Also think of the bonus point you could get for capturing Bob Hope!!! Keep up the great work Team Matrix you guys do the hard stuff and we'll keep you supplied with the endless amount of ideas (hopefuly good ones). Love the game.

(in reply to Tombstone)
Post #: 12
- 9/5/2000 5:43:00 AM   
rexmonday

It is sill within the rule mechanisms to use the heavy trucks as recovery vehicles for lighter vehicles, but the problem is that the heavy tanks procude a "too many men, load anyway?" message, which if responded to with "yes" allows you to lift them. They then get an excessive amount of crew. If you really want a field kitchen - make one in the scenario editor - just strip most of the weapons away from an HQ and a couple of rifle sections and rename them ... i guess bump up their point value as well, if appropriate....

(in reply to Tombstone)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> I hope its not too late. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI