Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Some thoughts on game

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Carriers At War >> Some thoughts on game Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Some thoughts on game - 6/13/2007 6:42:27 PM   
von Curow

Okay, I've played a number of scenarios multiple times from both sides now (Coral Sea, Wake, Pearl Harbor) and Midway as the Americans. Overall, I want to say that I am loving playing this game. This is really what I was hoping for. I played the original on my C64 and liked it but was repeatedly frustrated as a 14 yr old playing it. Looking back, I was too aggressive. Playing now, when I get to aggressive, I often get creamed for it.

1) Is it too easy? (Or am I a genius?)
Well, I think I have only actually lost 1 scenario after playing about a dozen. And it isn't foreknowledge (except in the Pearl Harbor, playing as Americans, when I sortied my BB fleet in the middle of the night and the Japanese air strikes still hit Pearl Harbor the next day). I am not complaining too much because many of my victories were close ones or based on stopping the other side's mission (invade, resupply, whatever). For example, as the Americans in Midway, I crippled a CV, sank 2 CVs and damaged the fourth, but I lost 2 CVs and 4 CAs, so it wasn't a completely happy tradeoff, even if I did stop the invasion of Midway. I also don't know if it is the AI that is the problem, either. It seems competent in its actions, I just seem to get my airstrikes in at the right time.

2) Surface combat
Perhaps this is as it should be but the first thing I note is that the weaker force simply withdraws and that is the end of the battle, with nothing happening. When forces are close (or I think they are... it's tough to lose 2 CAs and 5 DDs because you thought you had a chance ), then the battle does occur. I have had two. One thing that surprised me was this: with all surface forces in the nearest boxes, my capital ships had the option to fire guns at adjacent capital ships, as well as the destroyers to either "side" (van and flank?). My destroyers had the option to fire guns at both capital ships and destroyers to either "side". But my destroyers could only fire torpedoes at enemy destroyers. Why is that? Believe me, it was a horrible idea when I advanced my 2 CAs and 5 DDs against 4 Japanese CAs and 2 DDs, thinking my DD superiority would allow some good torpedo strikes. I got close but couldn't fire my torps at the enemy CAs. Result? America loses 2 CAs, 5 DDs, while Japan lost 1 DD.

Wish list?
) Obviously, more scenarios. It would be nice, down the road, to have some what-if stuff and some European theater stuff. The thing with carrier ops is that there really isn't that much material beyond what is already here.
2) Given that there isn't a lot of historical material, a robust editor is a must. I have glanced at the editor and find it less than intuitive (in other words, I will need to read the manual to figure it out). Hopefully, the truly talented in the community will find ways to mod CaW and produce some truly amazing alternative scenarios and campaigns.
Post #: 1
RE: Some thoughts on game - 6/13/2007 11:05:16 PM   
von Curow

Update on surface combat. I played Midway as the Japanese and due to total destruction of everyone's carrier forces, I tried to hunt down a nearby cruiser force (formerly a carrier TF) with a BB TF and BC TF. All afternoon, I repeatedly made contact only to have the Americans slip away. It paid off, however, when my main BB force (including Yamato) ran into the cruisers at point blank range during the night. Swept the board with minimal damage to myself.

Now that I think about it, that is probably historically accurate for surface combat of the era. Anybody could escape, assuming they were as fast as the enemy, but night contact could more readily result in combat as the ranges were already close.

Also, I discovered my Japanese DDs could fire torpedoes at the main battle line of the Americans. Is the torpedo issue noted above a result of Japanese having longer torpedo ranges? Still, it would seem possible, if not plausible, that American DDs could get close enough to fire their torps.

(in reply to von Curow)
Post #: 2
RE: Some thoughts on game - 6/14/2007 3:49:01 AM   
Gregor_SSG

quote:

ORIGINAL: von Curow

Update on surface combat. I played Midway as the Japanese and due to total destruction of everyone's carrier forces, I tried to hunt down a nearby cruiser force (formerly a carrier TF) with a BB TF and BC TF. All afternoon, I repeatedly made contact only to have the Americans slip away. It paid off, however, when my main BB force (including Yamato) ran into the cruisers at point blank range during the night. Swept the board with minimal damage to myself.

Now that I think about it, that is probably historically accurate for surface combat of the era. Anybody could escape, assuming they were as fast as the enemy, but night contact could more readily result in combat as the ranges were already close.

Also, I discovered my Japanese DDs could fire torpedoes at the main battle line of the Americans. Is the torpedo issue noted above a result of Japanese having longer torpedo ranges? Still, it would seem possible, if not plausible, that American DDs could get close enough to fire their torps.

In the early war, it's a often a mistake for US forces to get close to the Japanese in surface combat unless they have massive superiority. Japanese torpedoes have twice the range of US torpedoes and are much more effective as well. They want you to close with them so they can launch their ship killing torps, carried by their Cruisers as well as their Destroyers.

Gregor

Vice President, Strategic Studies Group
See http://www.ssg.com.au and http://www.ssg.com.au/forums/
for info and free scenarios.

(in reply to von Curow)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Carriers At War >> Some thoughts on game Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI