Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Wow, I can't decide, suggestions?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Wow, I can't decide, suggestions? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Wow, I can't decide, suggestions? - 6/16/2007 3:19:18 AM   
Wiseman

I can't decide between Commander – Europe at War or John Tiller's Campaign Series. They both look good and similar in some respects. Other than buying them both any suggestions?

Thanks!
Post #: 1
RE: Wow, I can't decide, suggestions? - 6/16/2007 4:19:12 AM   
Hertston

I don't have 'Commander – Europe at War' (too much money spent on the CS and CaW already this month!) but they shouldn't really be that similar. One is a strategic level game and the other is a tactical level game. I guess preference is likely to come down to which of those you prefer to play.

(in reply to Wiseman)
Post #: 2
RE: Wow, I can't decide, suggestions? - 6/16/2007 4:43:16 AM   
cdbeck

I really like C:EaW. It plays like Panzer General on a much grander scale. However, I am thinking about getting CS myself, why, because C:EaW leaves you wanting a bit more close of a scale. They are completely different levels and completely different tactics/stragey (actually I think you would define them that way, C:EaW is strategy - grand scale with broad strokes and it seems CS is tactics - small units, combined arms, and maneuvering.

As Hertson said, all in what you are looking for.

SoM

"Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet!"
(Kill them all. God will know his own.)

-- Arnaud-Armaury, the Albigensian Crusade

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 3
RE: Wow, I can't decide, suggestions? - 6/16/2007 8:35:17 AM   
Wiseman

Thanks for your thoughts.

(in reply to cdbeck)
Post #: 4
RE: Wow, I can't decide, suggestions? - 6/16/2007 11:22:55 PM   
ravinhood

Those are good comparisons SoM. One is more strategic operational while the other is squad/platoon level. Since I'm more of a Squad/Platoon level player I'd buy CS (but, I won't be buying it because I already have all of them from Talonsoft editions). But, that's not to say later on I wouldn't get C:EaW (probably around christmas when matix has those wonderful christmas savings deals :)  )

I am really surprised they are releasing all these games so close together though. It is forcing decisions on buyers who cannot decide because of their budgets. I think I would have spaced them out more in a 3 month period so those that wanted them all could get them all with out frustration of choice in a one month period. ;)

(in reply to Wiseman)
Post #: 5
RE: Wow, I can't decide, suggestions? - 6/16/2007 11:33:38 PM   
Hertston

quote:

ORIGINAL: ravinhood

I am really surprised they are releasing all these games so close together though. It is forcing decisions on buyers who cannot decide because of their budgets. I think I would have spaced them out more in a 3 month period so those that wanted them all could get them all with out frustration of choice in a one month period. ;)

Good point; I've certainly passed on C:EaW simply because having bought both the CS and CaW I'm short on both cash and time. Maybe for Christmas, or if BftB doesn't appear in the next couple of months. I'm not sure Matrix had a lot of choice with C:EaW though as Slitherene themselves are selling the game direct (same price) and presumably it was their call when the release would be.

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 6
RE: Wow, I can't decide, suggestions? - 6/16/2007 11:48:04 PM   
ravinhood

CaW is an excellent game of the past and with an exceptional AI. The Campaign series without a doubt is the best bundle of games for the money (if I didn't already have all of them I would buy this without question). Of the 3 the Battlefront game is the one I would have stayed away from indefinitely. I never liked the Battlefront engine from years ago really. Just never liked the few choices you had of Probe, Attack, Defend, Assault. I rather like knowing my odds and seeing my values on units like Schwerpunkt did with AGW. That's more my style of a board game like wargame. Course I'm playing Dominions III now that literaly has no hands on combat engine, but, at least I do get to see the numbers and values of my armies and select the spells and battle formations that I wish to use so I do have some input, moreso than just probe, attack, defend or assault. C:EaW is another that appears worthy of purchase. Slitherine has made at least a couple of good games Spartan/Troy, but, their before and after these aren't exactly that great. I wasn't a fan of Legion Arena (too toyish needed a grand scale campaign behind this battle engine) and Chariots at War doesn't have ALL the elements of Spartan/Troys combat engine.

Nonetheless there are some pretty good choices for wargames out there right now. From the years of lack of much to choose from these last couple of years have been a basket of fruit for many I'm sure.

< Message edited by ravinhood -- 6/16/2007 11:49:03 PM >

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 7
RE: Wow, I can't decide, suggestions? - 6/17/2007 2:49:39 AM   
David Heath

quote:

ORIGINAL: ravinhood

Those are good comparisons SoM. One is more strategic operational while the other is squad/platoon level. Since I'm more of a Squad/Platoon level player I'd buy CS (but, I won't be buying it because I already have all of them from Talonsoft editions). But, that's not to say later on I wouldn't get C:EaW (probably around christmas when matix has those wonderful christmas savings deals :)  )

This is pretty easy to answer...... why wait.... gamers will buy what they can or want to and then when they are ready the game already available. The month not done and we very well may have more very soon.

David

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 8
RE: Wow, I can't decide, suggestions? - 6/17/2007 5:45:36 AM   
cdbeck

OOOOh.... Maybe... just maybe... Empire in Arms? 

SoM

"Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet!"
(Kill them all. God will know his own.)

-- Arnaud-Armaury, the Albigensian Crusade

(in reply to David Heath)
Post #: 9
RE: Wow, I can't decide, suggestions? - 6/17/2007 6:20:35 AM   
ravinhood

Empire in Arms being released would be too much of a shock to everyone and they wouldn't have anyone left to sell wargames to. :) I think it's just another "fantasy" game hehe.

(in reply to cdbeck)
Post #: 10
RE: Wow, I can't decide, suggestions? - 6/18/2007 1:15:08 AM   
Wiseman

This is a great conversation and I'm getting a lot out of it, thank you.

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 11
RE: Wow, I can't decide, suggestions? - 6/18/2007 2:54:44 AM   
sol_invictus

It seems that Guns of August is released in a few weeks. After I achieve a coma from playing that game and ACW like some demon, I will certainly get C-EaW. Matrix and it's affiliated Developers gives me a reason to soldier on in this life.

"The fruit of too much liberty is slavery", Cicero

(in reply to Wiseman)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Wow, I can't decide, suggestions? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI