Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

New Campaign Idea

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> New Campaign Idea Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
New Campaign Idea - 6/22/2007 10:41:27 AM   
The Almighty Turtle

OK than, first my disclaimer: I am not a scenario designer, and I HIGHLY doubt I will ever be one. I just do not have the skills. But I do have a few ideas for the scenario designers who might listen.

I must first say that I have a rather unorthodox Campaign idea. Ok, maybe I used the wrong term. It IS an Orthodox campaign, but not in the sense you might think (Those of you from Greece or Russia should get this bad pun) .

Anyway, it is an unusual campaign idea because it deals with a few nations that are rarely dealt with, and it is not even in the usual time frame for this game! But if you guys could make it work (and given how well you have done on other cases, I think you just might) it would be pretty good, or at least I HOPE so (but I state the obvious, right?)

The Front: The Eastern Front

The Army: The Russian Army

The Operational Type: Total Offensive (sound like a familiar background to you)

The Year: 1916 (suprise?)

In 1916, two years into the 'War to end all Wars' the situation looked grim: On the Western and Italian fronts, the Western Allies were laboring to hold the front against numerically superior German and Austro-Hungarian armies, and the the Balkans have seen the eviction of the Serbian and Montenegrin armies from their native soil, and Western Allied offensives from Greece targeting Bulgaria have largely not put a dent in the Bulgarians.

However, on the Russian Front, the situation looks the blackest. Massive losses by the poorly-trained and equipped Russian army in terms of both men and equipment have been suffered, with the situation on the situation on the home front looking increasingly ugly for the Czar.

And now, Germany and Austria have launched dedicated attempts to stall and than push the Western Allies back. However, this is done by denuding the Eastern Front.

This presents a special opening for the Russians, and General Alexi Brusilov tries to make his case for an offensive against the Austrians in the South to the Czar. The majority of the Imperial General Staff opposes this, citing figures about dangerously low amounts of modern heavy weapons available to the Russian army,, and with the memory of Lake Naroch still burned into their brains, they view a new offensive as foolhardy.

However, the Czar has the final say, and facing the one-time-only chance of destroying the Austrian army in the East and of bolstering his popularity at home and abroad, and facing the possibility of gaining Romania as an ally, he greenlights the offensive. However, there is only to be a Southern offensive, as the other parts of the Russian army will remain on the defensive. Brusilov and his men are going it alone.

And so, on June fourth, over 633,000 Russian soldiers enter the fray following a massive but brief and accurate artillery barrage, and slam into the Austro-Hungarian troops in their trenches using revolutionary infiltrator tactics utilizing specially-trained and equipped shock troops.

However, even this massive effort may not be enough, for the Army begins to suffer supply and communication problems in increasingly troublesome amounts, Romania is more resistant to the idea of an alliance than expected, and every day, the immediate objectives of Lemberg and Kovel and the ultimate objective of damaging Austria or possibly knocking her out of the war seem further and further away.

And this is where you come in. From the opening Artillery barrage, you and your men will engage in Brusilov's great gambit. The offensive starts outside Lutsk. Where it ends is in the hands of fate, yourself, and your opponents.

Can you change history? Can you break through?

This campaign, in my opinion, allows for considerable freedom of choice and differing endings, and with different roads to take.

My ideas for the armies:

Russia: Russian troops under a Yugoslav Flag (closest I can think of to the actual Imperial Flag) Rifles and bayonets for the regulars, some 'nades for the elite front liners, some stachels for the Engineers, and some maxims.

Austro-Hungary: Hungarian and Modified German (meaning knock moral and XP down) troops under the Hungarian flag, Rifles and bayonets. Machine guns, arty, and everything else would be rare in the AH army.

Germany: German troops. Rifles, Bayonets, Maxims, Statchels, and grenades (all in greater amounts than the Russians, Romanians, or Austrian-Hungarians)

Romania: Romanian troops with moral-experience docking, Rifles and Bayonets. Heavier weapons would be VERY rare.

Bulgaria: Bulgarian troops with slight stats docking. Rifles and Bayonets. Everything else would be rare.
Is anyone interested in trying to get this campaign up? It would offer variety, different endings, and the chance to change the course of WWI?

Any attempts would be good! I cannot participate in creating maps, but I can give info and some ideas for the OOB.

It might be a bit long to give it her proper treatment (40-100+ scenarios) but it would be worth it?

Any takers?
Post #: 1
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> New Campaign Idea Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI