Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

S F

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> S F Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
S F - 6/23/2007 1:37:39 AM   
cockney

are there any rules as to SF units for example the Long Range Desert Patrol Group (for-runners of the SAS) and the Chidits?

never piss off a sgt major
Post #: 1
RE: S F - 6/23/2007 2:08:59 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: cockney

are there any rules as to SF units for example the Long Range Desert Patrol Group (for-runners of the SAS) and the Chidits?

SF?
Chidits?

My guess is that these are small unit formations. WIF is essentially a corps level game with divisional units added for 'flavoring'.

But if you can elaborate on your question, I (or someone else) can give you a better answer.

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

(in reply to cockney)
Post #: 2
RE: S F - 6/23/2007 7:58:26 AM   
Neilster

Special Forces. Off the top of my head I can think of Italian frogmen (as an optional rule). In general the scale of WiF is too coarse to justify special forces being modelled. The example above is an exception because they could take out capital ships.

Cheers, Neilster

(in reply to Shannon V. OKeets)
Post #: 3
RE: S F - 6/23/2007 9:43:00 AM   
michaelbaldur

the commando marine div....

(in reply to Neilster)
Post #: 4
RE: S F - 6/25/2007 1:36:37 AM   
cockney

S F (special forces ) the use of SF as in the LRDPG http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_Range_Desert_Group was to cut supply lines and and take out air fields behind enemy lines, like paras they would be out of technical supply but in practice used local produce and foraging as well as stealing enemy forces supply.

the chindis did this but on a brigade scale http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chindits

can appriciate that due to scale the LRDPG (company strength 120 men) wouldn't work, but if in a phase declare a SF attack to flip a HQ, would that work?

(in reply to michaelbaldur)
Post #: 5
RE: S F - 6/25/2007 2:41:03 AM   
Neilster

quote:

S F (special forces ) the use of SF as in the LRDPG http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_Range_Desert_Group was to cut supply lines and and take out air fields behind enemy lines, like paras they would be out of technical supply but in practice used local produce and foraging as well as stealing enemy forces supply.

the chindis did this but on a brigade scale http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chindits

can appriciate that due to scale the LRDPG (company strength 120 men) wouldn't work, but if in a phase declare a SF attack to flip a HQ, would that work?

It's not part of the game mechanics and MWiF basically implements the existing board game. HQs represent quite a large conglomeration of command, logistics, support and combat units. It's not like like a band of hard nutters in heavily armed Chevrolet trucks could sweep out of the dunes and disrupt all of that, as cool as those cats were.

Cheers, Neilster

Attachment (1)

(in reply to cockney)
Post #: 6
RE: S F - 6/25/2007 6:26:09 PM   
composer99

Outside of special forces being represented within the purview of Frogmen, Marines, Paratroopers & Alpine (MTN) units, I suspect that WiF/MWiF is simply too large a scale for much in the way of Special Forces activities. Some of them might also be subsumed in the Intelligence rules, although I do not recall at present if those are being implemented in MWiF or not.

~ Composer99

(in reply to Neilster)
Post #: 7
RE: S F - 6/25/2007 9:23:55 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: composer99

Outside of special forces being represented within the purview of Frogmen, Marines, Paratroopers & Alpine (MTN) units, I suspect that WiF/MWiF is simply too large a scale for much in the way of Special Forces activities. Some of them might also be subsumed in the Intelligence rules, although I do not recall at present if those are being implemented in MWiF or not.

Intelligence rules are part of MWIF. However, I might disable them when playing solitaire, so I do not have to figure out how to optimize their use by the AIOs.

Steve

(in reply to composer99)
Post #: 8
RE: S F - 6/26/2007 11:27:07 PM   
cockney

like like a band of hard nutters in heavily armed Chevrolet trucks could sweep out of the dunes and disrupt all of that, as cool as those cats were.

Cheers, Neilster

[/quote]

(in reply to Neilster)
Post #: 9
RE: S F - 6/26/2007 11:28:55 PM   
cockney

bit of a fopar, forgot to add I like your quite!

(in reply to cockney)
Post #: 10
RE: S F - 6/27/2007 7:51:23 PM   
Neilster

quote:

bit of a fopar, forgot to add I like your quite!

Or even a faux pas about a quote

Cheers, Neilster

(in reply to cockney)
Post #: 11
RE: S F - 6/27/2007 11:02:49 PM   
Jimm

quote:

the chindis did this but on a brigade scale

we once discussed using Chindits basically as a special partisan unit, which is not unlike what they were in effect.

(in reply to cockney)
Post #: 12
RE: S F - 6/28/2007 12:12:55 AM   
michaelbaldur

I think the chindits are included in the indian para ...

(in reply to Jimm)
Post #: 13
RE: S F - 6/28/2007 2:41:18 AM   
coregames

Couldn't any DIV that is MAR, MTN, PARA or SKI and has more than one strength point (cream of the crop) represent a special forces unit? That plus frogmen as mentioned already. Of course, if an operation is undertaken at ranges within 100 km, special forces would be subsumed by the corps involved.

"The creative combination lays bare the presumption of a lie." -- Lasker

Keith Henderson

(in reply to cockney)
Post #: 14
RE: S F - 6/28/2007 5:37:56 PM   
composer99

I suspect to some extent you are correct - the specialty unit divs in particular could easily be considered to incorporate special forces units as part of their makeup.

~ Composer99

(in reply to coregames)
Post #: 15
RE: S F - 7/12/2007 1:04:06 PM   
WiFDaniel

Besides frogmen, the most obvious special units is Engineers.

When playing the 2D10CRT, they have tremendous effect on combat across or river or against factory cities.

Another special unit is the magic US TRS than flips into a 15 ships port. AFAIR, port attacks can't sink it.

Daniel

(in reply to composer99)
Post #: 16
RE: S F - 7/12/2007 6:11:57 PM   
composer99

The naval supply unit of which you speak adds 10 to the naval unit stacking limits of a minor port. I do not believe that it counts as "special forces" as such, given that these are usually some type of small-scale specialized combat unit, but it certainly is a special unit.

Whether or not it can be subject to port strikes or not would require a check of the pertinent rules. As it is a ship in a port, my first instinct would be to believe that you can port-strike it. Of course, as a US player I would want to make sure that my NSU-enhanced ports are safely out of reach of or well-defended against port strikes and/or invasions.

~ Composer99

(in reply to WiFDaniel)
Post #: 17
RE: S F - 7/12/2007 6:17:03 PM   
Froonp

quote:

Whether or not it can be subject to port strikes or not would require a check of the pertinent rules. As it is a ship in a port, my first instinct would be to believe that you can port-strike it. Of course, as a US player I would want to make sure that my NSU-enhanced ports are safely out of reach of or well-defended against port strikes and/or invasions.

22.4.13 says :
22.4.13 Naval supply units (SiF option 69)
(...)
Turn the unit face down and move it adjacent to the port to mark the port as upgraded. You can now stack an extra 10 or 15 naval units at that port (the unit indicates which). The naval supply unit no longer counts against stacking at that port and may not be chosen as a target during port strikes. If it is overrun, it must rebase in the same manner as all other naval units in the port.
So, no, once they are used to expand a minor port, they are not port attackable.

(in reply to composer99)
Post #: 18
RE: S F - 7/12/2007 8:44:25 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: Froonp

quote:

22.4.13 says :
22.4.13 Naval supply units (SiF option 69)
(...)
Turn the unit face down and move it adjacent to the port to mark the port as upgraded. You can now stack an extra 10 or 15 naval units at that port (the unit indicates which). The naval supply unit no longer counts against stacking at that port and may not be chosen as a target during port strikes. If it is overrun, it must rebase in the same manner as all other naval units in the port.
So, no, once they are used to expand a minor port, they are not port attackable.

A better wording would be "while they are in use to expand a minor port" since they can switch back a forth every, even moving to a different minor port.

Steve

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 19
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> S F Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI