Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Hitting DD's with air launched "fish"?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Carriers At War >> Hitting DD's with air launched "fish"? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Hitting DD's with air launched "fish"? - 6/23/2007 12:39:35 AM   
Owl

I'm a bit curious about how the game does its to hit routines. It strikes me as odd that it SEEMS like destroyers have about the same odds of being hit by an airial torpedo as any other ship. I don't claim to be any great expert on WW2 battles but were any DD's actually hit historiclly by airial fish?

(.) (.)

...V...
Post #: 1
RE: Hitting DD's with air launched "fish"? - 6/23/2007 5:49:48 AM   
Rick Bradley

If I understand your post correctly I agree that DD's seem too easy to hit by torpedo bombers. They are a much smaller target and able to turn quicker. I'm sure that somewhere one was hit but I would think that it should be pretty much a waste of a torpedo

Rick614
Pride Runs Deep

(in reply to Owl)
Post #: 2
RE: Hitting DD's with air launched "fish"? - 6/23/2007 8:32:18 AM   
Prince of Eckmühl

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rick Bradley

If I understand your post correctly I agree that DD's seem too easy to hit by torpedo bombers. They are a much smaller target and able to turn quicker. I'm sure that somewhere one was hit but I would think that it should be pretty much a waste of a torpedo

Destroyers were hit by both bombs and torpedoes, but not very often.

PoE (aka ivanmoe)

Government is the opiate of the masses.

(in reply to Rick Bradley)
Post #: 3
RE: Hitting DD's with air launched "fish"? - 6/23/2007 10:25:11 AM   
NimitsTexan

Did not G4Ms torpedo the USN destroyer Jarvis off Guadalcanal? 

I also know some IJN DDs were hit by TBMs in the last 12-18 months of the war.

(in reply to Prince of Eckmühl)
Post #: 4
RE: Hitting DD's with air launched "fish"? - 6/23/2007 5:00:23 PM   
Prince of Eckmühl

Honestly, I don't think the issue is whether or not it happened, because we know that it did. Rather, the focus should be on the difficulty, the rarity of result involved in hitting a destroyer careening about at thirty-five knots, one that's but 10m through the beam, as opposed to hitting a 20-knot battleship or a maru. And, like Owl above, it strikes me that far too high a percentage of bombs are hitting destroyers.

PoE (aka ivanmoe)

< Message edited by Prince of Eckmühl -- 6/23/2007 5:14:42 PM >

Government is the opiate of the masses.

(in reply to NimitsTexan)
Post #: 5
RE: Hitting DD's with air launched "fish"? - 6/23/2007 5:04:54 PM   

Wouldn't the run depth be an issue here? Unless I am mistaken, most torpedoes were programmed to run deep enough to hit a capital ship in the vitals, and would often pass below the keel of a shallow-draft warship such as a destroyer. Or so I recall reading, anyway.

(in reply to Prince of Eckmühl)
Post #: 6
RE: Hitting DD's with air launched "fish"? - 6/25/2007 9:04:30 PM   
Owl

DD's aught to be VERY hard to hit with torpedoes, even assuming they are targetted. While I don't mind when attacking planes go after my DD's instead of more important ships it is alarming now easily they seem to hit them. I could undestand the toll if the DD's were damaged, but an undamaged DD? These ships turned and accellerated very quickly.

The other odd thing I notice is how torpedo hits seem to be little different than bomb hits. With no idea on how the damage system or armor system (if any) works, it's hard to be sure - but it sure seems like a torpedo hit which should generally be much more serious to the ship - looks just about like a bomb hit.

(.) (.)

...V...

(in reply to default)
Post #: 7
RE: Hitting DD's with air launched "fish"? - 6/26/2007 6:01:26 PM   
MengCiao

quote:

ORIGINAL: Owl

I'm a bit curious about how the game does its to hit routines. It strikes me as odd that it SEEMS like destroyers have about the same odds of being hit by an airial torpedo as any other ship. I don't claim to be any great expert on WW2 battles but were any DD's actually hit historiclly by airial fish?

Yes and in fact by crappy US Devastators using insanely crappy torpedoes duing the Lae raids in March 1942. Presumably the Jap DD had not gotten up to full speed.

Also by accident a US DD was hit by a US aerial torp that was released by accident.

So it happened at least 2 times.

The corpus of a thousand battles rises from the flood.

(in reply to Owl)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Carriers At War >> Hitting DD's with air launched "fish"? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI