Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Visiting Civil War sites

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Visiting Civil War sites Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Visiting Civil War sites - 6/14/2007 3:00:17 AM   
Gil R.

This weekend I'll be beginning a two-week odyssey that involves visiting family and attending a wedding, and it's going to take me through Civil War country, so I figured I'd get some input on which sites along my route are most worth visiting.

Part of my drive will involve going from Raleigh to Atlanta, and I see that Bentonville is nearby. Does anyone know if that's an interesting site? There seem to be no other potential sites between the two, but for my drive from Atlanta back to Cleveland I'll be going via Chattanooga, which, of course, takes me near Chickamauga, Lookout Mountain, etc. I know that these are worth stopping at, but are there other sites that are especially worthwhile between there and Atlanta, or along I-75 as it cuts through Tennessee and then Kentucky? I'd welcome any input. Thanks.
Post #: 1
RE: Visiting Civil War sites - 6/14/2007 4:20:23 AM   
Gray_Lensman

Depending on whether you get as far as Nashville before heading north to Cleveland. The Nashville battlefield looks interesting.

see: http://www.bonps.org/peril.htm

edit: the link at the bottom of the page "Back to Home Page" give more info

< Message edited by Gray_Lensman -- 6/14/2007 4:23:53 AM >

You've GOT to hold them back!

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 2
RE: Visiting Civil War sites - 6/14/2007 4:33:08 AM   
Gil R.

Hmm. Interesting. I had figured I'd get back to Ohio via Knoxville, but going by way of Nashville adds only a half hour total to my drive (not factoring in traffic). Of course, Knoxville is the more scenic route, going near the Great Smokies.

(in reply to Gray_Lensman)
Post #: 3
RE: Visiting Civil War sites - 6/14/2007 4:51:40 AM   
Gray_Lensman

Decisions... Decisions

I'm considering a trip thru Wilson's Creek then over to Shiloh myself, after Labor Day. If I have enough time I was looking into Nashville also, that's why I sent you the link.

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 4
RE: Visiting Civil War sites - 6/14/2007 7:02:12 PM   
Yogi the Great

If you do go to Chattanooga, look for "Confederama" if I remember the name correctly.  It is a board of minatures set up that covers the entire campaign in the area.  It's pretty neat as you sit around the map and music, sound and light effects show cover the action and a nice historical narration of the campaign.  I have been to it twice, once when I was in about Junior High which left a lasting impression on me.  I returned a few years ago (we won't say how many years in between except I admit to quite a few)  and can say that I still found it very enjoyable.  Too often we are dissappointed when we revisit places we had fond memories of as a kid, but this one held up to my memories.

If I remember right, it is near Lookout Mountain & the Chattanooga Choo Choo - well worth the visit - I can't remember the cost, but I think it was fairly reasonable.

Hooked Since AH Gettysburg

(in reply to Gray_Lensman)
Post #: 5
RE: Visiting Civil War sites - 6/14/2007 7:03:29 PM   
LMUBill

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gil R.

This weekend I'll be beginning a two-week odyssey that involves visiting family and attending a wedding, and it's going to take me through Civil War country, so I figured I'd get some input on which sites along my route are most worth visiting.

Part of my drive will involve going from Raleigh to Atlanta, and I see that Bentonville is nearby. Does anyone know if that's an interesting site? There seem to be no other potential sites between the two, but for my drive from Atlanta back to Cleveland I'll be going via Chattanooga, which, of course, takes me near Chickamauga, Lookout Mountain, etc. I know that these are worth stopping at, but are there other sites that are especially worthwhile between there and Atlanta, or along I-75 as it cuts through Tennessee and then Kentucky? I'd welcome any input. Thanks.

Well... There is not much to see in Knoxville. Fort Dickerson is still there and they are working on partial restoration so that might be an option.

Going north on I-75 (and depending on how far you want to get off the interstate) there is a side trip to Cumberland Gap possible to visit the Abraham Lincoln Museum and LMU (don't know if Dr. Earl Hess will be there, though... he lives in Knoxville)

You can take a side trip to Somerset and visit the Mill Springs battlefield (about 35-40 miles west of London).

Just off the interstate in the Daniel Boone national forest north of London is the Camp Wildcat battlefield. Some of the earthworks are still there and an interpretive exhibit. The road up the mountain can be a bit rough in places, unless they've worked on it in the last year or so since I've been there.

About 45-50 miles west of I-75 (take the Mt. Vernon exit and get on US-150) is Perryville. There is a very nice state park there. Plus, you can go back to Danville (just east of Perryville and where the state of Kentucky was founded) and hit KY-34 over to US-27. At the intersection of those two is the site of Camp Dick Robinson (nothing there but a sign) and a few miles to the north on US-27 going towards Lexington is Camp Nelson. In Lexington you can hit I-75 again. You can combine this with a visit to Mill Springs.... just take 27 north out of Somerset until you hit US-150 in Stanford. Turn left and Perryville is about 20 miles away.

If you don't get off to go to Perryville, then you go right by the Richmond battlefield.

I can give you better directions if you'd like. IMHO if you only stop at one of these, then try Perryville. The museum there is pretty good and most of the battlefield is in the park and is pretty well marked.

Hope that helps!
Bill

< Message edited by LMUBill -- 6/14/2007 7:17:39 PM >

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 6
RE: Visiting Civil War sites - 6/14/2007 7:17:37 PM   
Gil R.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yogi the Great

If you do go to Chattanooga, look for "Confederama" if I remember the name correctly. It is a board of minatures set up that covers the entire campaign in the area. It's pretty neat as you sit around the map and music, sound and light effects show cover the action and a nice historical narration of the campaign. I have been to it twice, once when I was in about Junior High which left a lasting impression on me. I returned a few years ago (we won't say how many years in between except I admit to quite a few) and can say that I still found it very enjoyable. Too often we are dissappointed when we revisit places we had fond memories of as a kid, but this one held up to my memories.

If I remember right, it is near Lookout Mountain & the Chattanooga Choo Choo - well worth the visit - I can't remember the cost, but I think it was fairly reasonable.

Thanks for the tip. And what, pray tell, is the "Chattanooga Choo Choo"? I know the line from the song, of course. But is there some sort of tourist attraction with that name?

(in reply to Yogi the Great)
Post #: 7
RE: Visiting Civil War sites - 6/14/2007 7:20:59 PM   
Gil R.

quote:

ORIGINAL: LMUBill

quote:

Well... There is not much to see in Knoxville. Fort Dickerson is still there and they are working on partial restoration so that might be an option.

Going north on I-75 (and depending on how far you want to get off the interstate) there is a side trip to Cumberland Gap possible to visit the Abraham Lincoln Museum and LMU (don't know if Dr. Earl Hess will be there, though... he lives in Knoxville)

You can take a side trip to Somerset and visit the Mill Springs battlefield (about 35-40 miles west of London).

Just off the interstate in the Daniel Boone national forest north of London is the Camp Wildcat battlefield. Some of the earthworks are still there and an interpretive exhibit. The road up the mountain can be a bit rough in places, unless they've worked on it in the last year or so since I've been there.

About 45-50 miles west of I-75 (take the Mt. Vernon exit and get on US-150) is Perryville. There is a very nice state park there. Plus, you can go back to Danville (just east of Perryville and where the state of Kentucky was founded) and hit KY-34 over to US-27. At the intersection of those two is the site of Camp Dick Robinson (nothing there but a sign) and a few miles to the north on US-27 going towards Lexington is Camp Nelson. In Lexington you can hit I-75 again. You can combine this with a visit to Mill Springs.... just take 27 north out of Somerset until you hit US-150 in Stanford. Turn left and Perryville is about 20 miles away.

If you don't get off to go to Perryville, then you go right by the Richmond battlefield.

I can give you better directions if you'd like. IMHO if you only stop at one of these, then try Perryville. The museum there is pretty good and most of the battlefield is in the park and is pretty well marked.

Hope that helps!
Bill

Thanks. These seem interesting, though I'm trying not to get too far away from the highway, which runs the risk of adding an extra day to my drive.

What's Mill Springs like?

(in reply to LMUBill)
Post #: 8
RE: Visiting Civil War sites - 6/14/2007 7:29:27 PM   
LMUBill

quote:

Thanks. These seem interesting, though I'm trying not to get too far away from the highway, which runs the risk of adding an extra day to my drive.

What's Mill Springs like?

You can loop back to the interstate if you go to Mill Springs and/or Perryville.

As far as Mill Springs, they just opened a museum where you can see a video about the battle. There is a driving tour (You can get the brochure from the web site) that hits the major spots of the battlefield.

There are a lot of photos online if you do a google image search of Mill Springs Battlefield.

Basically Zollicoffer marched out of entrenchments near the river northward until he encountered the Union forces. After he was killed the CSA forces retreated back tot he river (followed by Thomas' union forces) and they crossed the river in the night. There is a small park at the spot where Zollicoffer died with a short walking trail through the area of heaviest fighting. The rest of the stops are along the line of advance/retreat. You can see the earthworks and trenches of the Confederate entrenchments though.

And if you go there, Somerset has tons of restaurants. Lake Cumberland might be worth a look right now as well. The area around the dam is leaking so the lake is about 40 feet lower than normal (and the Army Corps of Engineers wanted to drop it another 30 feet.)

< Message edited by LMUBill -- 6/14/2007 7:42:56 PM >

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 9
RE: Visiting Civil War sites - 6/14/2007 7:50:42 PM   
oldspec4

This thread is very timely for me....I have one trip planned to the Chickamauga/Chattanooga area and a another to the Perryville area. FYI, I am using the U.S Army Command and General Staff College Staff Ride Handbooks as a detailed guide for both. I'm anal on walking battlefields off the main tour roads.

(in reply to LMUBill)
Post #: 10
RE: Visiting Civil War sites - 6/14/2007 8:02:19 PM   
Yogi the Great

quote:

Thanks for the tip. And what, pray tell, is the "Chattanooga Choo Choo"? I know the line from the song, of course. But is there some sort of tourist attraction with that name?

Yes - it is a train that climbs a very steep grade right up the side of Lookout Mountain. Who knows, maybe they play the song on your way up. If just sight seeing non-civil war, there is a good aquarium, I-max theater, Rock City and Ruby Falls (a waterfall in an underground cave) that might interest you. Have fun whatever you decide.

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 11
RE: Visiting Civil War sites - 6/14/2007 8:08:08 PM   
LMUBill

You'll love Chickamauga and Perryville then.

There are really only four roads in the Perryville park. The road from the Mackville Road to the visitor's center, a branch of that road through the picnic area that goes back to the Mackville Road, a gravel road from near the visitor's center that goes over to the Hays-Mays Road (part of the tour road) and Whites road, which you'll cross if you hike to the "new" section of the park (150 acres bought a couple of years ago and recently opened with trails and markers). There are a couple of sites outside the park along the Mackville, Whites and Hays-Mays roads that you might want to see as well. Also the location of Sheridan's forces in what is now the Perryville Cemetery (not the one in the park) I believe is marked as well. Downtown Perryville might be worth a look as well. Lots of Civil War-era buildings still atandng and in use.

Perryville virtual tour on CWPT site

< Message edited by LMUBill -- 6/14/2007 8:10:55 PM >

(in reply to oldspec4)
Post #: 12
RE: Visiting Civil War sites - 6/15/2007 12:56:18 AM   
Yogi the Great

I just did some checking and apparently Confederama may now be called the Battles for Chatanooga Museum

http://www.battlesforchattanooga.com/

or another view

http://ngeorgia.com/tenn/bcm.html

< Message edited by Yogi the Great -- 6/15/2007 1:11:49 AM >

(in reply to LMUBill)
Post #: 13
RE: Visiting Civil War sites - 6/16/2007 10:25:26 PM   
Yogi the Great

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yogi the Great

I just did some checking and apparently Confederama may now be called the Battles for Chatanooga Museum

http://www.battlesforchattanooga.com/

or another view

http://ngeorgia.com/tenn/bcm.html

That was a great Link Yogi, thanks for posting It!

-------------------

You're Welcome.

Post #: 14
RE: Visiting Civil War sites - 6/17/2007 5:59:03 AM   
Drex

I'll probably never get there but I sure wouldn't mind a visit..

quote:

Col Saito: "Don't speak to me of rules! This is war! It is not a game of cricket!"

Post #: 15
RE: Visiting Civil War sites - 6/19/2007 2:12:06 AM   
chadandpia

Also, for anyone interested, I found this cool site http://www.civilwartraveler.com/

and there are free podcasts available from iTunes .. just type CivilWarTraveler.com in the search field.

(in reply to Drex)
Post #: 16
RE: Visiting Civil War sites - 6/19/2007 3:38:26 AM   
LMUBill

quote:

Also, for anyone interested, I found this cool site http://www.civilwartraveler.com/ and there are free podcasts available from iTunes .. just type CivilWarTraveler.com in the search field.

So the Civil War only happened on the East Coast then????!?!?! Wow.

< Message edited by LMUBill -- 6/19/2007 3:39:26 AM >

(in reply to chadandpia)
Post #: 17
RE: Visiting Civil War sites - 6/19/2007 6:20:49 PM   
chadandpia

LOL ... I don't think they are implying that. Just think they only chose to concentrate there but perhaps you should send an email to them and ask why the only chose to do the east coast states?

(in reply to LMUBill)
Post #: 18
RE: Visiting Civil War sites - 6/19/2007 9:56:17 PM   
Yogi the Great

quote:

ORIGINAL: chadandpia

LOL ... I don't think they are implying that. Just think they only chose to concentrate there but perhaps you should send an email to them and ask why the only chose to do the east coast states?

My guess would be they are an area tourist promotion group in that area ando they are showing "attractions" in their own area of their own contributing members.

(in reply to chadandpia)
Post #: 19
RE: Visiting Civil War sites - 6/21/2007 2:37:36 AM   
Gil R.

So, having visited Gettysburg on Monday, I got to drop by Manassas today. Since my nephew was in tow I couldn't do 2nd Manassas, so it was purely a 1st Manassas day (which was fine). I must say, while it's a great place to visit, the park service really could do a better job explaining what happened and where it happened. At the visitors' center there's a 6-minute display that uses lights on a map to show how the battle unfolded, but the narrator leaves out some key points (e.g., the fact that the forces at the Stone Bridge were there as a feint, which is hinted at but not stated outright). And there's no comparable show for 2nd Manassas. Since the map for the site that everyone gets shows terrain but not where the armies were and where they moved, it's hard for anyone who doesn't know much about the battles -- 2nd Manassas especially -- to know what was going on where.

< Message edited by Gil R. -- 6/21/2007 2:42:54 AM >

Post #: 20
RE: Visiting Civil War sites - 6/21/2007 5:47:52 AM   
Gray_Lensman

As a related place to visit. Check out the new Lincoln Library/Museum complex in Springfield, IL. I went there last year and thoroughly enjoyed it. There's also a nice holographic presentation concerning Lincoln also (which might be in visitors center)

PS Leave time to visit Lincoln Tomb if you haven't already seen it.

http://www.lincolnlibraryandmuseum.com/index.htm

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 21
RE: Visiting Civil War sites - 6/21/2007 11:06:20 AM   
jkBluesman

quote:

So, having visited Gettysburg on Monday, I got to drop by Manassas today. Since my nephew was in tow I couldn't do 2nd Manassas, so it was purely a 1st Manassas day (which was fine). I must say, while it's a great place to visit, the park service really could do a better job explaining what happened and where it happened. At the visitors' center there's a 6-minute display that uses lights on a map to show how the battle unfolded, but the narrator leaves out some key points (e.g., the fact that the forces at the Stone Bridge were there as a feint, which is hinted at but not stated outright). And there's no comparable show for 2nd Manassas. Since the map for the site that everyone gets shows terrain but not where the armies were and where they moved, it's hard for anyone who doesn't know much about the battles -- 2nd Manassas especially -- to know what was going on where.

So how did you like Gettysburg? I bet you did not count the monuments.
Will you go to Antietam too?
You are right about Manassas. There is not much more to see than the rebuild Henry House, the "Stonewall" statue and some guns. Second Manassas is kind of confusing. It could have helped if they had at least described better the site of Jackson's stand and the ground over which Longstreet attacked.

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 22
RE: Visiting Civil War sites - 6/23/2007 2:32:58 AM   
Gil R.

I only had about 1.5-2 hours at Gettysburg because of external pressures (i.e., family), so I didn't have time to do it right. But simply seeing the terrain (especially Little Round Top and the Devil's Den), and seeing both the starting and ending points of Pickett's Charge was tremendous, as was getting a sense of the distances involved. There were far too many monuments to read, but I was used to that from Antietam (which Eric and I explored last year).

I was at Chancellorsville yesterday, which was a bit disappointing. Other than getting a sense of the distances involved, there wasn't all that much to see. Even the site where Stonewall was wounded is a bit underwhelming, though at least it does have monuments put up by some who had served in the ANV. I wish I had instead gone to Fredericksburg (same exit off Interstate 95), or had had enough time to hit The Wilderness and Spotsylvania as well. Next year, maybe I'll do that.

(in reply to jkBluesman)
Post #: 23
RE: Visiting Civil War sites - 6/23/2007 11:52:15 AM   
jkBluesman

Yeah, you need time at Gettysburg, that is for sure. And the distance struck me there too (one of my favourite pictures I got from the battlefield is showing me pointing from the stonewall towards the forrest on seminary ridge).
As for Chancellorsville, I got a picture (in Wert's Longstreet bio) from 1884, showing veterans around a stone that marks Jackson's wounding, but no real monument yet. Longstreet and Rosecrans were there (they had been roomates at West Point).

"War is the field of chance."
Carl von Clausewitz

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 24
RE: Visiting Civil War sites - 6/24/2007 1:19:08 AM   
Gil R.

The monument is a few yards from the stone, and marks where people used to think that Stonewall was hit; the stone, which has a small Confederate flag stuck on top, is believed to be the actual place.

(in reply to jkBluesman)
Post #: 25
RE: Visiting Civil War sites - 6/29/2007 10:44:33 PM   
Yogi the Great

Out of curiosity Gil - Did you ever get to Chattanooga?  If so, what did you get to see?

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 26
RE: Visiting Civil War sites - 6/29/2007 11:08:21 PM   
d714

I'm amazed no one mentioned Kennesaw Mountain battlefield outside of Atlanta and on the way back up to Chattanooga. Really, Atlanta is just one big civil war battlefiled.

But Kennessaw - it's been years since I went but they still have trees with bullet damage, minnies embeded inside tree trunks, well preserved opposing civil war trenches mere yards from each other, a decent museam. Really an amazing place. You should go there before the Atlanta suburbs take it over.

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 27
RE: Visiting Civil War sites - 7/1/2007 7:55:11 AM   
Gil R.

I got to Kennesaw Mountain on Friday, with our very own jchastain, beta-tester par excellence, who lives in the area. You're right, it's an excellent site to visit. And I hate to say it, but it's fun to visit a battlefield with someone who knows FOF, since then a good deal of the conversation can be about comparisons between terrain and tactics in the actual battle and in detailed battles. At some points on the battlefield it was hard not to look around an see hexes. (I'm especially thinking of the path the Union brigade took to get to the Dead Angle: emerge from a forest hex, go across two open hexes in range of enemy artillery up on the hill, climb the hill hex, and face entrenched enemy soldiers.) I definitely recommend the site.

And, just today I got to Chickamauga, which is a great place to visit: excellent museum, various points of interest well-labeled, etc. I didn't previously have a full grasp of how that battle unfolded, but after seeing the place it all makes sense. And Lookout Mountain was great for the view, though I didn't have time to walk the trails.

Sadly, my driving trip has just a few more hours to go, so no Civil War sites for a while now. But I'll be moving to St. Louis in a month, and have a hunch I'll explore the western theater a bit more.

EDIT: By the way, after having seen artillery emplacements atop Kennesaw Mountain one day and then Lookout Mountain the next, I've got us rethinking the rule in FOF that mountain hexes are out of play. For the expansion pack, we might change this. (Regarding these artillery pieces atop the two mountains, does anyone know how they were used? Both mountains are so steep that they could not have been aimed down the slope -- instead, they seem to have been shooting straight. Was the idea that the shell would simply drop on an unseen target at the base of the mountain?)

< Message edited by Gil R. -- 7/1/2007 7:57:54 AM >

(in reply to d714)
Post #: 28
RE: Visiting Civil War sites - 7/1/2007 10:43:36 AM   
przy06

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gil R
EDIT: By the way, after having seen artillery emplacements atop Kennesaw Mountain one day and then Lookout Mountain the next, I've got us rethinking the rule in FOF that mountain hexes are out of play. For the expansion pack, we might change this. (Regarding these artillery pieces atop the two mountains, does anyone know how they were used? Both mountains are so steep that they could not have been aimed down the slope -- instead, they seem to have been shooting straight. Was the idea that the shell would simply drop on an unseen target at the base of the mountain?)

Expansion pack? Is this for sure, or just speculation? Sounds great! Can we hear some more? Or is it still too early to talk about specifics?

< Message edited by przy06 -- 7/1/2007 12:45:54 PM >

Previous poster under account przy
Member since 5/16/2000

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 29
RE: Visiting Civil War sites - 7/1/2007 3:50:16 PM   
Gray_Lensman

quote:

<snip>

Not necessarily unseen as the following excerpt from "Fateful Lightning" shows

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Visiting Civil War sites Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI