Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Squad Leader

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Squad Leader Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Squad Leader - 7/5/2007 6:38:04 AM   
x0r

Any game on market that simulate war on the old Squal Leader board game level that are pretty new? Good AI and graphics.

/X

Si vis pacem, para bellum - If you want peace, prepare for war (Vegetius)
Post #: 1
RE: Squad Leader - 7/5/2007 7:00:39 AM   
Adam Parker

Combat Commander

I don't have it and I don't like the maps.

Also check out "Band of Heroes" here. I own it and like it, it's much simpler to SL/ASL to get going but the rules are poorly written.

(in reply to x0r)
Post #: 2
RE: Squad Leader - 7/5/2007 7:43:33 AM   
Plodder

If you're thinking computer games, you might want to check out Combat Mission.

Gen. Montgomery: "Your men don't salute much."
Gen. Freyberg: "Well, if you wave at them they'll usually wave back."

(in reply to Adam Parker)
Post #: 3
RE: Squad Leader - 7/5/2007 9:30:04 AM   
Neilster

I agree. Definitely Combat Mission.

Cheers, Neilster

(in reply to Plodder)
Post #: 4
RE: Squad Leader - 7/5/2007 9:48:29 AM   
Adam Parker

quote:

ORIGINAL: x0r

Any game on market that simulate war on the old Squal Leader board game level that are pretty new? Good AI and graphics.

Doh I should have read your post properly.

You should also check out HPS Simulations' Squad Battles. This is the latest title in the series.

All are being upgraded with 3d graphics. AI is superb in close-in terrain.

(in reply to x0r)
Post #: 5
RE: Squad Leader - 7/5/2007 12:09:31 PM   
x0r

Thanks for all suggestions! I will look into it.

And to be clear... It is computer games I am looking for.

I will look into other games to; tactical, strategical and operational.

Over and out!

Post #: 6
RE: Squad Leader - 7/5/2007 12:11:31 PM   
x0r

And my last post was to all, not only to Adam Parker...

(in reply to x0r)
Post #: 7
RE: Squad Leader - 7/5/2007 12:21:15 PM   
Neilster

From Wikipedia...

Combat Mission is the name of two series of computer games simulating tactical battles. CMX1 refers to a set of games using the original game engine, set in the Second World War (WWII). CMX2, due to premiere in 2006, will feature a new game engine on the same scale as the first, with games depicting tactical combat from a greater variety of historical eras. All the Combat Mission games are a unique mixture of turn-based strategy and simultaneous real-time execution. The game environment is fully three-dimensional, with a "Wego" style of play wherein each player enters his orders into the computer simultaneously during pauses in the action, and then are powerless to intervene during the action replay phase. More familiar turn-based games use an "I-go/You-go" system of play.

History

Charles Moylan worked on several of Avalon Hill's computer projects, including Flight Commander 2, Achtung Spitfire, and Over the Reich. In 1997 he was unofficially working on a computer adaptation of the famous Advanced Squad Leader board game. Moylan came to realize, however, that the game would be difficult or impossible to adapt successfully to a computerized version. Atomic Games had also attempted to produce a "Computer Squad Leader" game, but abandoned the tie-in to ASL and eventually marketed the game (successfully) as Close Combat.

In the beginning of 1998 Avalon Hill was in turmoil and unstable to work for, and Moylan decided to go his own way, as Big Time Software, shortly before Avalon Hill was purchased by Hasbro. The move from Avalon Hill meant also severing ties to ASL; the unfinished project had no references to ASL or A-H. Moylan briefly shopped the early Alpha build around (tentatively called Squad Leader) but was not satisfied with the publisher contacts he made. He teamed up with Steve Grammont, forming what eventually became Battlefront.com and re-christened the new game "Combat Mission".

Battlefront produced the first game of the Combat Mission (CM) series, Combat Mission: Beyond Overlord, in 2000. The game was successful and spawned three additional titles, as well as a second generation game engine with plans for many new Titles and Modules bearing the Combat Mission name. Big Time Software eventually became known as Battlefront.com, with additional members being hired to the team including Martin "Moon" van Balkom, Dan "Kwazydog" Olding, and Fernando Julio Carrera Buil and Matt "Madmatt" Faller, who handle the company website, graphics and sound design, and organizing beta testing of new products. Combat Mission, as of 2007, remains the flagship series of the Battlefront.com line.

Game series

Three titles using the original game engine have been released by producer www.battlefront.com :

* Combat Mission: Beyond Overlord (CMBO) 2000
* Combat Mission: Barbarossa to Berlin (CMBB) 2002
* Combat Mission: Afrika Korps (CMAK) 2004

These three games are commonly said to belong to the "CMX1 Engine". In 2006, the series will have expanded from the three titles in the original series, to include an operational WW II themed tie-in game for CMX1, as well as a new series of games using the new CMX2 engine. The new games will consist of Titles, outlining a particular era, with Modules providing extra nationalities, weapons, and equipment types for each Title.

The initial Title has been announced by producer www.battlefront.com :

* Combat Mission: Shock Force (CM:SF) 2007

This title will cover a fictional US invasion of Syria, focusing on US Stryker Brigades and Syrian regular and irregular forces. It is anticipated that additional modules will bring US Marines and other nationalities into the game. Additionally, it is believed that the second title in the series will have a Second World War setting. The initial release set in Syria will be released on July 27th, 2007.

Finally, an operational layer has been added to CMBB with the announcement of Combat Mission: Campaign, which will allow players to order maneuver elements from platoon to battalion size on an operational grid and generate realistic battles to be fought out in CMBB. It was expected to be released in 2006; www.battlefront.com (BFC) had announced this title would be released before CM:SF.

* Combat Mission: Campaign (CMC) 2007

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combat_mission

These are brilliant games. I still play the original CM: Beyond Overlord regularly and it was released in 2000. You can't go wrong with this series as they're fantastic and their excellent editor and random battle generators mean almost endless replayability.

Cheers, Neilster

Post #: 8
RE: Squad Leader - 7/5/2007 12:51:07 PM   
Adam Parker

quote:

ORIGINAL: x0r

And my last post was to all, not only to Adam Parker...

Hey Neilster, hasn't this world changed a lot of late? Seems obligatory that everything marketed today has to have its own Wiki entry followed by a You Tube show!

(in reply to x0r)
Post #: 9
RE: Squad Leader - 7/5/2007 1:35:46 PM   
Neilster

That's a change for the better brother, as long as you ignore the dross.

Cheers, Neilster

< Message edited by Neilster -- 7/5/2007 2:13:49 PM >

Post #: 10
RE: Squad Leader - 7/5/2007 2:38:34 PM   
Laryngoscope

What no Matrix product recommendations?

What about:

Close Combat: Cross of Iron
Steel Panthers World At War
Panzer Command: Operation Winter Storm

all on this very site

"It is not a Commonwealth division, it is an Australian Division. Why, give me two Australian Divisions and I will conquer the world for you!"

-- Erwin Rommel

(in reply to Neilster)
Post #: 11
RE: Squad Leader - 7/5/2007 3:45:12 PM   
ravinhood

Close Combat ewwwww real time click fests suks

Steel Panthers World at War ok that's a good one for what he asked for like SQUAD LEADER not a clickfest

Panzer CDommand: Operation Winter Storm..Sorry but Combat Mission has this beat in spades hearts and flushes it just doesn't offer enough comparing PRICES when yuu can get the Anthology now of Combat Mission for less than the price of the retail version of this. Koios shoulda stuck with ancients ;)

(in reply to Laryngoscope)
Post #: 12
RE: Squad Leader - 7/5/2007 3:54:57 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: ravinhood
Steel Panthers World at War ok that's a good one for what he asked for like SQUAD LEADER not a clickfest

I'm amazed - Ravinhood, you missed the most important part. SPWAW is free!

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 13
RE: Squad Leader - 7/5/2007 3:58:52 PM   
ravinhood

I figure someone else would tell him quick enough. And what are you doing on here I thought you were SICK, playing hookey from the Origon are yah? lol

< Message edited by ravinhood -- 7/5/2007 3:59:25 PM >

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Squad Leader Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll