Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Can I change Matrix version victory hex symbols/icons and base symbols?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> John Tiller's Campaign Series >> Mods and Scenarios >> Can I change Matrix version victory hex symbols/icons and base symbols? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Can I change Matrix version victory hex symbols/icons a... - 6/22/2007 5:37:23 PM   
big dawg

Is there a way to change the victory hex symbols/flags/icons & bases to the units?

My Talonsoft version was changed, but I forgot how I did it.

Are there examples of available mods?

Thanks guys!

Post #: 1
RE: Can I change Matrix version victory hex symbols/ico... - 6/22/2007 5:59:19 PM   
sfinlay

Big Dawg,  I think Jason posted a link to a mod like this earlier at http://www.angelfire.com/ultra/pethocarto/csmod.htm
I also have the same sort of thing (slightly different) which I downloaded years ago, from god knows where, along with a mod  for the phase box graphic. I think it was some German site, now defunct!
I think all you really need to do is replace the default graphics with the new ones but don't quote me on that one.

(in reply to big dawg)
Post #: 2
RE: Can I change Matrix version victory hex symbols/ico... - 6/22/2007 9:40:20 PM   
Keltner

I have a great many changed victory/base icons for WF/EF/RS and DG mainly incorporating the flags of said nations rather than roundels or whatever.  Drop me a post, and I'll send them to you in zip files if you like.  Note, some of these were included in the Blitz Expansion Pack (which I worked on( as well as the abortive WF/RS Expansion Pack that eventually turned into the Matrix version.  I think my old geocities site still works.  You could download them from there as well.  Let me check on it and I'll repost with the url if it still works.

--John  

(in reply to sfinlay)
Post #: 3
RE: Can I change Matrix version victory hex symbols/ico... - 6/22/2007 9:43:56 PM   
Keltner

OK, the geocities page still works.   There are even pictures of each icon and base, so you know what you are getting .  Url is: http://geocities.com/jetathrieve   Enjoy!!

--John

(in reply to Keltner)
Post #: 4
RE: Can I change Matrix version victory hex symbols/ico... - 6/23/2007 4:35:55 AM   
big dawg

Nice!

(in reply to Keltner)
Post #: 5
RE: Can I change Matrix version victory hex symbols/ico... - 7/6/2007 1:14:34 AM   
1925frank

I'm not very computer savy.  If I download these zipped files and unzip them, will they replace everything the zipped file covers, or can I pick and choose.  Specifically, I'm looking for Vichy France bases and objective hex symbols.  The Vichy France mods contain other mods that I may not want.  I've downloaded patches and scenarios before, but I've never downloaded a mod.  I don't want to do something I can't undo.

If I can pick and choose, what is the procedure?  Download in a separate file, copy, and paste in JTCS West Front?  Does it automatically override?  Do I have to delete anything?

(in reply to big dawg)
Post #: 6
RE: Can I change Matrix version victory hex symbols/ico... - 7/6/2007 1:24:11 AM   
Jason Petho

quote:

ORIGINAL: 1925frank

I'm not very computer savy.  If I download these zipped files and unzip them, will they replace everything the zipped file covers, or can I pick and choose.  Specifically, I'm looking for Vichy France bases and objective hex symbols.  The Vichy France mods contain other mods that I may not want.  I've downloaded patches and scenarios before, but I've never downloaded a mod.  I don't want to do something I can't undo.

If I can pick and choose, what is the procedure?  Download in a separate file, copy, and paste in JTCS West Front?  Does it automatically override?  Do I have to delete anything?

Read through Post #15 of this:

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1487594

Jason Petho

(in reply to 1925frank)
Post #: 7
RE: Can I change Matrix version victory hex symbols/ico... - 7/6/2007 5:53:35 AM   
1925frank

Thank you.  That worked.  I've now the modified Vichy France bases and victory hex icons.  I also had a problem with the absence of any leaders for Vichy France in 1944, but I found some in 1942 and added them to OOB for the 1944 scenario.  Thank you so very much.  This is great!

(in reply to Jason Petho)
Post #: 8
RE: Can I change Matrix version victory hex symbols/ico... - 7/6/2007 5:57:28 AM   
1925frank

I used the mods from geocities because I could see what it looked like.  Are the mods from angelfire any different?  I don't know how to look at them.

(in reply to 1925frank)
Post #: 9
RE: Can I change Matrix version victory hex symbols/ico... - 7/6/2007 7:42:41 AM   
Jarexx

Basically you can change each and every thing in CS , just please remember make a backup of the old files first.

Jarexx aka Raven

(in reply to 1925frank)
Post #: 10
RE: Can I change Matrix version victory hex symbols/ico... - 7/6/2007 7:46:27 AM   
Jason Petho

As noted in the other topic, ensure that you do not replace the icons2D.bmp... it is not the same as in the original series as there are new unit icons.

Jason Petho

(in reply to Jarexx)
Post #: 11
RE: Can I change Matrix version victory hex symbols/ico... - 7/6/2007 5:26:22 PM   
1925frank

Yes, thanks to the thread you directed me to (and which I took the trouble to read), I avoided placing the icons2d.bmp files in the game itself.  They are part of the zipped file, so the warning is greatly appreciated.  If I had copied and pasted the whole works I would have messed things up.

Pursuant to the instructions, I created a "Mods" folder and downloaded the zipped file into it.  Out of caution, I created an "Extra" folder and placed the original files in it before transfering the new files into the game.  It took a while to locate the files I wanted transferred out, so the advice to create a backup file for the originals was reassuring.

IF no one knows whether the angelfire icons are different from the geocities icons I downloaded and used, perhaps I'll try my newfound skills tonight to see whether there's a difference, and if there is, which one I prefer.

Apparently the mods you see on the screenshots posted by Matrix and posted in the varioius threads are coming from the geocities site.  I recognized the swatikas and variants for the Polish troops, among others.

Thanks again for the help.  I've pulled some real computer boneheads in the past, so I'm reluctant to try something new.  Your help has been invaluable.  The ability to modify the game adds a whole new dimension of enjoyment.

(in reply to Jason Petho)
Post #: 12
RE: Can I change Matrix version victory hex symbols/ico... - 7/6/2007 5:44:19 PM   
1925frank

I was able to open the Read Me file on the angelfire website, and, if I understand it correctly, those mods replace the circular bases with the national flags, and the objective hex icons are modified in some instances but not in others.  The objective hex icons for Vichy France were not changed, so, if I want a modified objective hex for Vichy France, geocities is my only choice.

(in reply to 1925frank)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> John Tiller's Campaign Series >> Mods and Scenarios >> Can I change Matrix version victory hex symbols/icons and base symbols? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI