Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Postmortem Death of CC3!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Close Combat Series >> Close Combat - Cross of Iron >> Cross of Iron Support >> Postmortem Death of CC3! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Postmortem Death of CC3! - 7/6/2007 1:26:31 PM   
SS_KONIG

Firstly i would like to apologise to anyone offended by this post, i don't make a habit of posting negative comments especially about games that i love, but i feel so strongly about this that i am compelled to do so.
For anyone who has played any version of Close Combat they will know that its major strength was the multiplayer aspect and that its major weakness was the fact that no matter which version or mod you played the A.I. was a waste of time and gave you no challenge at all.
I was thrilled to learn of the release of Cross of Iron but equally gutted after purchasing a copy to find that trying to get a multiplayer game was next to impossible depending on the amount of knowledge and skill you have configuring computers, software and equipment. It seems to me that many people went grey haired overnight just trying to get H2H play working and i must hand it to people like schrecken who did there best to help people like myself to fix the problems.
My own personal problem was never fixed and to this day i have not been able to enjoy my purchase you see in order to enjoy this game prior to its release i decided to dump my useless Internet Service Provider for a better one, buy a brand new Wireless Router Kit and have a computer company come and install the system to 4 computers in my household only to find that Cross of Iron was poorly thought out and will not work if you connect to the Internet via a router, this is because when you connect via a router you end up with more than one I.P. address, the main address the one that the router uses and then the actual computer address's in my case 4 internal computer address's which vary depending on who logs on first in the house.
Surely this should have been considered when CSO Simtek decided to go ahead with this project, i am certain that many veteran players would have returned to the game, i wanted to teach my son how to play for goodness sake.
I think a great opportunity to re-launch the greatest WW2 RTS game ever conceived has been missed here just because of the difficulties getting multiplayer to work.
All this said i have no doubt that if another version is published i will purchase it but please please can we have one that is easy to get to work we don't want to have to mess around with firewalls, port forwarding and countless other problems we just want to play and until you take this on board the game rooms will be empty!
Post #: 1
RE: Postmortem Death of CC3! - 7/6/2007 1:45:23 PM   
Andrew Williams

I play CoI on 3 computers networked in my Home.

H2H works fine if you simply configure your router correctly.

Basically set the IP adress for each PC on your Network

Start
Control Panel
Network Connections
Right click on your LAN connection
choose properties
Set the IP address... on this PC is is Set to 10.1.1.2

Every time this PC boots up the IP address is 10.1.1.2

The others are 10.1.1.6 and 10.1.1.5

The router is 10.1.1.1

Do this for every PC on your Network assign each it's own address.

then

In your routers config. port forward the CC ports to the PC you want to play the rest of the world on.
These are
Do TCP andUDP to keep it simple
3782-3783
2300-2400

further reading

http://www.closecombat.org/forums/showthread.php?t=12564&highlight=ports

(in reply to SS_KONIG)
Post #: 2
RE: Postmortem Death of CC3! - 7/6/2007 2:14:25 PM   
frankie718

OK, I agree with all that Konig is saying, however, I would like to clarify a few things. (by the way, we share a home network). The main point he is making is that, yes, after much arsing about, it is probably possible to get a game online. However, in this day and age, we shouldn't need to do all this "configuring". Why can't online play work at the click of a button like many other recent titles. I've not had so much trouble with a game since configuring games to work on DOS machines 15 years ago!

To address a couple of more specific issues, schrecken, as an example.

1. Port forwarding is n ot our problem. I've already configured the ports.

2. The main problem is IP addresses. As you rightly say, the IP address the game sends is an internal rather than the correct external address. I would like to know EXACTLY how to change that.

3. When trying to play on the MMCC3 server, because so many people are having problems it is difficult to test our configuration as often we are not sure whether it is us or our opponent who is having a problem.

That's about it.

(in reply to SS_KONIG)
Post #: 3
RE: Postmortem Death of CC3! - 7/6/2007 3:14:02 PM   
Andrew Williams

Start
Control Panel
Network Connections
Right click on your LAN connection
choose properties
Click on Internet protocol TCP/IP
choose properties

Set the IP address... on this PC is is Set to 10.1.1.2 (yours may look like 192.***.***.***)
Use your settings given to you by your ISP

< Message edited by schrecken -- 7/6/2007 3:16:33 PM >

(in reply to frankie718)
Post #: 4
RE: Postmortem Death of CC3! - 7/7/2007 5:55:56 AM   
KWP

If you are behind a router, the IP Address the game displays is your LAN (Local Area Network) IP address. This address can be used to play against another computer on your LAN.

When you play over the internet, ie MMCC3 Multiplayer, you need to know your WAN (Wide Area Network)IP Address.

You can use this link to find your WAN IP.
http://www.webyield.net/domainquery.html

(in reply to Andrew Williams)
Post #: 5
RE: Postmortem Death of CC3! - 7/7/2007 3:18:15 PM   
mooxe

On top of those reasons.... BHQ has been down for two days.

Close Combat Series

CCS on Youtube

Join Discord for tech support and online games.

(in reply to KWP)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Close Combat Series >> Close Combat - Cross of Iron >> Cross of Iron Support >> Postmortem Death of CC3! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI