Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

When?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> When? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
When? - 7/4/2007 4:51:56 PM   
balsampear

Cant wait........
Post #: 1
RE: When? - 7/5/2007 8:39:12 PM   
TPM

Yeah, I'd like to know as well...when is this glorious thing going to be released? I thought I read somewhere two more months...some time around September Vic? Thanks.

(in reply to balsampear)
Post #: 2
RE: When? - 7/5/2007 9:51:26 PM   
Ola Berli

Please let us not rush this. Better to have a top notch product.

War does not determine who is right - only who is left.

(in reply to TPM)
Post #: 3
RE: When? - 7/5/2007 10:06:10 PM   
Zakhal

Not quickly enough!

"99.9% of all internet arguments are due to people not understanding someone else's point. The other 0.1% is arguing over made up statistics."- unknown poster
"Those who dont read history are destined to repeat it."– Edmund Burke

(in reply to Ola Berli)
Post #: 4
RE: When? - 7/6/2007 9:22:42 AM   
cdbeck

I suggest, for those that haven't done so, go and DL the freeware version of People's Tactics. I just started it up today and it is really loads of fun (and I have heard that Advanced Tactics will keep the random map generator). I'm still figuring some things out (like how to use bombers and exactly how supply works) but the game is a nice addictive hoot. Reminds me of Command HQ or Empire, back in the day. I'm actually *gasp* a bit disappointed that WWII was chosen, as I would have prefered the system be used to generate a fictional "Cold War turned Hot" scenario, but the versatility of the editor means that new modules should literally pour out.

I'm excited too! Hope the development goes smoothly.

SoM

"Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet!"
(Kill them all. God will know his own.)

-- Arnaud-Armaury, the Albigensian Crusade

(in reply to Zakhal)
Post #: 5
RE: When? - 7/6/2007 2:55:04 PM   
Vic

quote:

ORIGINAL: Son_of_Montfort

I suggest, for those that haven't done so, go and DL the freeware version of People's Tactics. I just started it up today and it is really loads of fun (and I have heard that Advanced Tactics will keep the random map generator). I'm still figuring some things out (like how to use bombers and exactly how supply works) but the game is a nice addictive hoot. Reminds me of Command HQ or Empire, back in the day. I'm actually *gasp* a bit disappointed that WWII was chosen, as I would have prefered the system be used to generate a fictional "Cold War turned Hot" scenario, but the versatility of the editor means that new modules should literally pour out.

I'm excited too! Hope the development goes smoothly.

SoM

Getting to see what players will design with the scenario editor is one of the things i am really looking forward too! :) I really went out of my way to allow for almost everything to be moddable.

Kind regards,
Vic

< Message edited by Vic -- 7/6/2007 2:56:14 PM >

(in reply to cdbeck)
Post #: 6
RE: When? - 7/6/2007 7:39:45 PM   
ravinhood

Hey Vic glad to see you got picked up by someone for your second game. I've enjoyed Peoples Tactics very much. And since you gave me something for FREE I will support your game upon release and promote it all over the net where I frequent. ;) I hope this version is as good and/or better than Peoples Tactics. It looks good already.

quote:

I have heard that Advanced Tactics will keep the random map generator).

One thing Vic the above is very important to me I hope you don't let us down. A random map generator means longevity for a game and boredom doesn't set in as fast and people like that in games and remember who makes them and buys from the again. ;)

(in reply to Vic)
Post #: 7
RE: When? - 7/6/2007 8:52:20 PM   
Vic

Hi Ravinhood,

There is a great random map generator in Advanced Tactics.
You can even select it to make mirror maps and even... use a different ruleset (made in editor) to make the random map.

kind regards,
Vic

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 8
RE: When? - 7/7/2007 12:10:46 AM   
ravinhood

Welp I'm sold. Now why can't other developers make games like this with everything but, the kitchen sink? This is my kind of game the ole KISS game. Doesn't read or sound too complicated, but, gets the job done for what it is suppose to do. No 10000 numbers to keep up with just some simple numbers vs other simple numbers. Those AAR's look promising as well playing out rather well. One question VIC about how long does it take to play out an average turn? How long would you say it would take to play out the campaign in hours?

(in reply to Vic)
Post #: 9
RE: When? - 7/7/2007 12:43:19 AM   
Whytfyjrd

I most heartily second Son_of_Montfort's suggestion to try People's Tactics (available here). I played this addictively for about 3 months in 2005-2006, and had several __great__ PBEM games with some buddies. The game is a snap to learn, due to well-written documentation and a very, very good User Interface.

At first glance, the game may seem "simple." But gameplay --- the various ways you can construct units, management of logistics (easy to adjust, but important to success) the FoW, the technologies you pursue --- is very rich and tense. And then there's your conduct of the battle: you are the Supreme Commander, but your knowledge of the enemy is limited, and so you bite your knuckles as you decide whether to defend, retreat, attack, bluff, etc. This game brings out the Rommel in you!

From what I've read here and in the PT forums, there'll be some additions and improvements to the game engine, without changing its ease of play. You'll get a pretty good idea of how well AT will play, except that it sounds like AT will have more/better features, and more/better graphics, and just more gameplay "goodness."

quote:

ORIGINAL: Son_of_Montfort
--- snippage --- Reminds me of Command HQ or Empire, back in the day.

Ahhh, that brings back great memories. I played Command HQ for about 3 years in the early nineties with a group of local friends: via local phone calls and 2400 baud modems (correct terminology?). LOL, in fact I recall I bought my first computer upgrade because of this game: you had to have a 286 to run it! Goodbye, 1986 IBM PC with the Hercules graphics card (so I could play Empire), hello VGA graphics (or was it SVGA?) with ... 128KB? ... RAM. In any case, that game was "simple" but a ton of fun to play. The first RTS game and IMO still the most fun I had gaming. In any case, I think Advanced Tactics will be that sort of game: playable for years and lots of fun.

(in reply to Vic)
Post #: 10
RE: When? - 7/7/2007 5:47:14 AM   
cdbeck

Can't agree with you two (Why and Ravin) more, the KISS method here is very attractive. I really like PT's pick-up-and-play and takes-forever-to-master style. So many choices, I love having different avenues of attack.

And it is nice RH, to have a free game that is so high quality.

SoM 

"Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet!"
(Kill them all. God will know his own.)

-- Arnaud-Armaury, the Albigensian Crusade

(in reply to Whytfyjrd)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> When? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI