Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Learning as USA..An open Discussion AAR on the April 1861 Campaign

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> American Civil War – The Blue and the Gray >> After Action Reports >> RE: Learning as USA..An open Discussion AAR on the April 1861 Campaign Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Learning as USA..An open Discussion AAR on the Apri... - 7/7/2007 6:30:37 AM   
seydlitz_slith

River Ships:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to seydlitz_slith)
Post #: 31
RE: Learning as USA..An open Discussion AAR on the Apri... - 7/7/2007 6:37:36 AM   
seydlitz_slith

quote:

ORIGINAL: TheBloodyBucket

If I'm reading you right, your overall strategy is to go heavy on the "Anaconda Plan" and build up quickly hoping to build a heavier force than the Rebs early in the game...are you going to go for an early assault on Richmond or hold in the East while your MO force gathers strength, and what have you got in mind for amphibious ops?  It seems to me that a few landings might make the blockade easier to maintain.  Are you playing with the naval cohesion automanaged?

I don't think that there is such a thing as as easy early assault on Richmond. By the time my divisions are unlocked and able to move, there is a significant force sitting in Richmond. Mind you, I might be wrong, but that observation is based on my playing CSA in my first starts, and I can tell you that they get a good size force there early. Even when it can't move, it can still defend.

My plans are to choke off the Rebel cash flow as fast as possible. This will keep their builds down while I continue to get stronger. I will then try to capture some key ports, and in general try to force the confederates to defend their whole territory. Much like history, I plan to drive down through TN early to cut the rail line around Corinth. Other than that, I will take what I can get.

(in reply to Bloodybucket28th)
Post #: 32
RE: Learning as USA..An open Discussion AAR on the Apri... - 7/7/2007 6:39:55 AM   
seydlitz_slith

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gem35

Hello seydlitz,
I may have made some mistakes and I am a bit confused. I am in turn 3 and I can only purchase replacements. For some reason I cannot purchase reinenforcements. I have ALOT of divisional commanders and several 2 and 3 stars guys and a few brigades in and around DC.
Is there something I am missing or maybe wait a few more turns?

I meant to tell you that you will get a bunch of generals in Washington about a turn before you can start buying reinforcements. That is planned. Just leave them there for now and observe over the next few turns which ones activate each turn, and which ones do not. Then you will know which ones to use commanding the troops.

(in reply to Gem35)
Post #: 33
RE: Learning as USA..An open Discussion AAR on the Apri... - 7/7/2007 7:05:40 AM   
Gem35

With your permission, may I post some of my screenshots of my organizations?
I was mainly wanting to focus on how you would organize your men.
Would you combine elements with your division commanders without a div HQ?
I am trying to learn the game mechanics and trial and error is how I usually go, just cusrious as to your take on things.

It doesn't make any sense, Admiral. Were we better than the Japanese or just luckier?

Banner By Feurer Krieg

Post #: 34
RE: Learning as USA..An open Discussion AAR on the Apri... - 7/7/2007 5:14:20 PM   
seydlitz_slith

quote:

With your permission, may I post some of my screenshots of my organizations?
I was mainly wanting to focus on how you would organize your men.
Would you combine elements with your division commanders without a div HQ?
I am trying to learn the game mechanics and trial and error is how I usually go, just cusrious as to your take on things.

Please do post some screenies. This AAR is more about sharing and learning than about how to destroy the enemy. Your screen shots would also help me see how others are doing things.

(in reply to Gem35)
Post #: 35
RE: Learning as USA..An open Discussion AAR on the Apri... - 7/8/2007 2:25:21 AM   
Mike Scholl

I don't see any river gunboats that resemble the 7 Eads Ironclads built in St. Louis. Do they show up later? Or were they left out? The were the heart of Foote's Squadron which helped Grant at Henry and Donaldson.

Post #: 36
RE: Learning as USA..An open Discussion AAR on the Apri... - 7/8/2007 4:18:13 AM   
Alan_Bernardo

I love AARs and this one is excellent, entirely to my tastes.  I like how you sometimes do the notebook thing.  The writing is also good and clear and easy.

Keep it going!

Alan

(in reply to Mike Scholl)
Post #: 37
RE: Learning as USA..An open Discussion AAR on the Apri... - 7/8/2007 5:03:55 AM   
Jim D Burns

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mike Scholl

I don't see any river gunboats that resemble the 7 Eads Ironclads built in St. Louis. Do they show up later? Or were they left out? The were the heart of Foote's Squadron which helped Grant at Henry and Donaldson.

They'll show up soon, it is simply too early in his game for him to build them yet. One will show up as a free reinforcement with Porter, the rest he’ll have to build.

Here’s a screenshot from my game (currently July 1862) for comparison, as you can see I’ve built up quite a decent sized riverine navy and I have quite a bit left I can build as well.

(ships already built are the middle number, those yet to be built are the top number, bottom number is for ships I've queued for production in the current turn)

Jim
P.S. The reason you see no gunboats for Indiana, Kentucky or Missouri is because I've built all available in that category. If one gets destroyed, the tab for IN, KY or MO gunboats will reappear with that gunboat able to be rebuilt again. So eventually the build screen will be almost empty, that's why I like to try and leave 1 ship in each category unbuilt, it’s easier to see at a glance what you have.

Hopefully they'll be an option someday to list all items even if all elements in a tab are already built. It's the only real way to see at a glance your total numbers of unit types, so it’s kind of a pain when the tabs disappear.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Jim D Burns -- 7/8/2007 5:18:09 AM >

(in reply to Mike Scholl)
Post #: 38
RE: Learning as USA..An open Discussion AAR on the Apri... - 7/8/2007 6:50:33 AM   
seydlitz_slith

Now on to turn 6...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Jim D Burns)
Post #: 39
RE: Learning as USA..An open Discussion AAR on the Apri... - 7/8/2007 7:05:45 AM   
seydlitz_slith

Over at Manassas....

Attachment (1)

Post #: 40
RE: Learning as USA..An open Discussion AAR on the Apri... - 7/8/2007 7:21:47 AM   
seydlitz_slith

Over in Ohiio I am dealing with the Rebel Cavalry raid...

Attachment (1)

Post #: 41
RE: Learning as USA..An open Discussion AAR on the Apri... - 7/8/2007 7:46:55 AM   
seydlitz_slith

New this turn, things are heating up around Paducah....

Attachment (1)

Post #: 42
RE: Learning as USA..An open Discussion AAR on the Apri... - 7/8/2007 8:26:51 AM   
seydlitz_slith

Finally,
Out west I maintain my position in Dallas, and meanwhile I have detected Rebel Cav from Texas up at Topeka. I send my 3rd Cavalary to intercept them from their position in Creek territory.

On the naval front, the Monitor is finished, and I immediately order her to Hampton Roads.

Builds:
I am kind of at a crossroads here. I am not sure what will happen the next few turns, so I want to hold on to some cash. However, in keeping with my strategy to choke off the South and then force her to spread her defenses, I choose to build the following:

5 marine units
4 rivier monitors (inMD)
1 Armored Frigate (New Ironsides)
4 more blockade flotillas

This should leave me with a planned balance of $195, 563 manpower, and 103 war supplies.

Time to end the turn.

Post #: 43
RE: Learning as USA..An open Discussion AAR on the Apri... - 7/8/2007 9:04:03 PM   
seydlitz_slith

Turn 7...

Attachment (1)

Post #: 44
RE: Learning as USA..An open Discussion AAR on the Apri... - 7/8/2007 9:17:04 PM   
seydlitz_slith

Meanwhile, over on the frontier...

Attachment (1)

Post #: 45
RE: Learning as USA..An open Discussion AAR on the Apri... - 7/8/2007 9:23:03 PM   
seydlitz_slith

Still working to contain the Ohio raid...

Attachment (1)

Post #: 46
RE: Learning as USA..An open Discussion AAR on the Apri... - 7/8/2007 9:36:51 PM   
seydlitz_slith

builds and naval info...

Attachment (1)

Post #: 47
RE: Learning as USA..An open Discussion AAR on the Apri... - 7/8/2007 9:54:31 PM   
Jim D Burns

quote:

ORIGINAL: seydlitz

Turn 7...

You should keep the transports with him. They act as supply wagons and allow your fleets more time to remain on station. Also it usually takes 4-6 ships (any type) to blockade that stretch of river and a blockade will prevent raiders and armies from crossing into your territory. Hover your mouse over a river section and it'll tell you how many more ships are needed to successfully blockade it.

I have seen the number needed change though (some areas needed 4 ships in 1861 and now need 6 in 1862), so be sure to check from turn to turn to make sure you're maintaining enough ships on station to prevent crossings.

Jim

Post #: 48
RE: Learning as USA..An open Discussion AAR on the Apri... - 7/8/2007 11:43:18 PM   
Pdubya64

Hello all. Good discussion on learning the basics with the Union. AACW has taken up most of my play time for the past three days and it seems the toughest part to get used to is just how "grand" the grand scale of the war is (in the game of course). SO many choices and about the only way to deal with it is come up with a plan to get organized from the get-go. Some of this is gonna be "duh" stuff, so bear with me...

1. First thing is get the latest patch and apply it to AACW. Then start AACW and set the options with help from the tooltips & play both of the tutorials. Be patient, you may have to start over if you miss moving a unit like I did the first time. The tuts can be a bit dry and lengthy, but they do get the job of familiarity started. It is still easy to forget the steps needed to do things like combine units, etc. so again, try to be patient.
  2. If, like me, you are still waiting on your hard copy of the game to arrive, pull up the PDF file on the rules (the original in the /docs folder) and change it to "full screen" mode in adobe reader; it scales very well and is much easier to see and read. Navigate with mouse or arrow keys. Read though the rules once for familiarity and again for comprehension. I found opening a AACW game up can help here too.
  3. Either print out (best) or open on adobe reader the additional files in /docs- in particular the reinforcement and leader files. The reinforcement files will help you anticipate what is coming "online" in a given turn and more importantly, where. This is very helpful in minimizing the overwhelming feeling AACW can give you as you first climb aboard. The leader file will do much the same for your all important leaders. Remember that the Combat Values (X/X/X) coorespond to strategic/offensive/defensive.
  4. Print out or view the latest manual from online. It isn't as flashy as the original, but it is mostly up to date (rev20 from June 29). Then print out the readme.txt and find out what has changed since the latest patch. All the modifications should be in one file, back to the original 1.0a in April.
  5. Pick your favorite side and dive in! I started the whole campaign in April of '61. It might be better to do a shorter one if only for the reason of having many more units (and leaders that will be activated!) and give you chances to play with organizing your Armies, Corps, and Divisions/Brigades and all their various elements. Just be aware that if you choose the whole war from the start, there is very little to do in some respects. This is good and bad. It is good because you can play around and try things up to the point of saying "well, THAT didn't work!" and exiting out only to start again. It is bad because you don't really understand that historical parameters are what is driving the limited amount of options available to you in the first three months. But that is OK, you soon will.
  6. I suggest going to www.wargamer.com and reading Trotter's review article. He sheds some light on things that make for good "ahah!" moments after you have a small amount of time invested. There are sure to be others as well as all the posts here and at AGEOD's forum. Use them!
I am going to post a similar thread on my experiences with the Confederacy, as they are where I have concentrated my efforts to learn. Keep up the posts guys, good stuff!
PW

< Message edited by Pdubya64 -- 7/8/2007 11:49:35 PM >

"Some men take a side of killing Johnny; just make sure when the killing time comes you're standing on the right side." -Conagher

Post #: 49
RE: Learning as USA..An open Discussion AAR on the Apri... - 7/8/2007 11:46:52 PM   
seydlitz_slith

Wow, thanks for the advice. I didn't realise that. I will send them back down to join immediately. I did notice that the Rebs have moved up significant numbers of their own gunboats, and forced Foote back to Paducah. 

Post #: 50
RE: Learning as USA..An open Discussion AAR on the Apri... - 7/8/2007 11:53:27 PM   
Pdubya64

Jim, will the transports "count" towards the blockade count or are they considered non-combatants?
I would definitely send them if the supply situation wouldn't let them stay on station long. This is one aspect I have yet to play around with much- looking forward to it.
Thanks.

Post #: 51
RE: Learning as USA..An open Discussion AAR on the Apri... - 7/9/2007 1:15:27 AM   
Jim D Burns

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pdubya64

Jim, will the transports "count" towards the blockade count or are they considered non-combatants?
I would definitely send them if the supply situation wouldn't let them stay on station long. This is one aspect I have yet to play around with much- looking forward to it.
Thanks.

They count as a ship. Another point I forgot to make is that the ferries stockpile a small amount of supplies (assuming you control them, only land units can switch control of ferries), so if you have a transport with your fleet adjacent to a ferry crossing it'll draw supplies from the ferry and you can virtually stay on station all campaign season. Works the same way as supply wagons outside of a city, when they draw supplies from the city, which allows your army to remain outside during winter while the supply wagon absorbs the hits and replenishes the supply in the same turn.

The only limiting factor will be cohesion, you'll have to revisit port once in a while to recover cohesion, but supplies will remain pretty full.

I try to keep a 6 ship fleet (at least 4 gunboats per fleet) at each ferry and each RR crossing point. It tends to reduce raids into my interior significantly. It also prevents surprise attacks by large confederate forces that were unseen at turn start and cross the river to grab a poorly defended city of mine.

Units can cross at non-ferry and non-RR crossing points, but they can’t trace supply across them I believe. I’m not 100% sure though.

In the winter some areas of the river freeze up, so raids will pick up there, but from about Kentucky south you can keep a blockade going all year round.

One last point, transports act as a supply wagon for land units in adjacent land areas, so if you’re cut off, station a fleet next to your troops to keep them in beans and bullets. This is especially important during naval invasions, keep your fleet on station until after you secure a city, or your troops will starve real fast.

Of course just like supply wagons, transports supplies will dry up as well. So make sure you bring enough transport ships to last several turns.

Jim

< Message edited by Jim D Burns -- 7/9/2007 1:22:53 AM >

(in reply to Pdubya64)
Post #: 52
RE: Learning as USA..An open Discussion AAR on the Apri... - 7/9/2007 1:47:08 AM   
seydlitz_slith

Turn 8... VP 287 NM 86

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by seydlitz -- 7/9/2007 1:48:38 AM >

(in reply to Pdubya64)
Post #: 53
RE: Learning as USA..An open Discussion AAR on the Apri... - 7/9/2007 2:30:48 AM   
seydlitz_slith

New develpments in the east...

Attachment (1)

Post #: 54
RE: Learning as USA..An open Discussion AAR on the Apri... - 7/9/2007 2:44:14 AM   
seydlitz_slith

Down in the Hampton Roads area...

Attachment (1)

Post #: 55
RE: Learning as USA..An open Discussion AAR on the Apri... - 7/9/2007 3:09:32 AM   
seydlitz_slith

The maneuver in the Ohio area continues, but it looks like the excitement of the raid is coming to a close.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 56
RE: Learning as USA..An open Discussion AAR on the Apri... - 7/9/2007 3:41:08 AM   
seydlitz_slith

Jefferson City Missouri...

Attachment (1)

Post #: 57
RE: Learning as USA..An open Discussion AAR on the Apri... - 7/9/2007 3:41:17 AM   
Gem35

I'm still going to post some screenies of troop organizations, with me working weekends, I can continue during weekdays while you folks may be at work.
Look for some possibly tomorrow afternoon into Tuesday.
thanks guys and great reading seydlitz, you seem to be doing well.

It doesn't make any sense, Admiral. Were we better than the Japanese or just luckier?

Banner By Feurer Krieg

Post #: 58
RE: Learning as USA..An open Discussion AAR on the Apri... - 7/9/2007 4:05:05 AM   
seydlitz_slith

Down around Texas...

Attachment (1)

Post #: 59
RE: Learning as USA..An open Discussion AAR on the Apri... - 7/9/2007 4:07:03 AM   
seydlitz_slith

quote:

I'm still going to post some screenies of troop organizations, with me working weekends, I can continue during weekdays while you folks may be at work.
Look for some possibly tomorrow afternoon into Tuesday.
thanks guys and great reading seydlitz, you seem to be doing well.

That would be fantastic. Seeing how youa re setting your stuff up will also help me out. As I say, I am kind of feeling my way along here, and all help and comments are welcome.

(in reply to Gem35)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> American Civil War – The Blue and the Gray >> After Action Reports >> RE: Learning as USA..An open Discussion AAR on the April 1861 Campaign Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI