Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Why did they fight?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Why did they fight? Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Why did they fight? - 7/10/2007 10:38:08 PM   
Roger Neilson II

Ok, that may seem like a daft question. I have been interested in the ACW for almost 50 years, but my interest has been almost exclusively the military side of it. I have therefore almost disregarded the reasons why they fought and fought so determinedly for so long. Please remember that I'm English, so American history is not really ever looked at in schools here unless their small contribution (joke) to the two world wars.

Now I can clearly see why the Union fought, though I can also see it almost gave up the fight at times. Its about preserving a nation and denying a sub group within the nation the choice of whether or not it stays. Now in some 'wars of liberation' where there is a clear difference in background e. the Scots, Welsh, Irish, or in colonial wars I can see why it would occur. However no nation can allow any group to suddenly decide to leave... that's a political fact.

However my reading of the period (such as it is) suggests that the people in charge of the two sides had far more in common than the issues that separated them. So why did the South fight? And having begun why did they fight so fiercely and for so long when it was obvious they could not win.

I am often struck (no offense meant to anyone) with the similarity between the uneven struggle of the two sides and that between the Allies and Japan in WW". However there there was a racial, cultural difference that added to the ferocity.

I'd just like some opinions.... its intriguing me.

Roger

Post #: 1
RE: Why did they fight? - 7/10/2007 11:20:24 PM   
MengCiao

First let me say all my ancestors were southerners and one of them was at Gettysburg...but from there he went home wounded and embittered and not just against the Northerners. I think many southerners still feel a residual bitterness passed on from their ancestors about getting sucked into an ill-judged and badly-managed war that gained them nothing but utter defeat and total disaster.

Second...there had been fighting for years by the time the actual war broke out.

In the South, the election of Lincoln brought the perception that a solution to the violence and to the problem of slavery (absolutely the central issue leading up to the conflict) was about to be imposed. The emotional logic of the south was that since the legal system of the Union was about to unfairly impose a solution, they would themselves pre-empt the legal system in such a way that a show of force would enable them to either "preserve their rights" or to be a legally sovereign nation. IE ultimately the South went to war to avoid trouble, and that proved to be far more trouble than it was worth.

The emotional logic of the North was a much more complex and potent brew that included the nearly apocalyptic religious vision glorified in the Battle Hymn of the Republic....which is perhaps the key text in understanding the Civil War.

Anyway...that's my embittered southern view.

The corpus of a thousand battles rises from the flood.

(in reply to Roger Neilson II)
Post #: 2
RE: Why did they fight? - 7/10/2007 11:21:53 PM   
Gray_Lensman

Basically it boils down to the definition of liberty as interpreted by both sides from the time of the Declaration of Independence up to the late 1850s. The issue of slavery was the subject of much of the disagreement over what "liberty" really meant and several compromise agreements were implemented during those approx. 80 years. Each compromise further infuriated the radicals of both sides to the point that when Abraham Lincoln was elected the South felt it had no more political power anymore to stop the anti-slavery momentum and since their economy was so dependant upon the cheap labor that slaves provided, they ignored the liberty issue of the slaves themselves and redefined their liberty to mean that they should be able to continue to exist as a separate nation at "liberty" to continue their own way of life.

The North on the other hand felt at first that maintaining the Union was the overriding concern. During the course of the war Lincoln finally shifted some of the fight reason to the freedom of the slaves, but at first it was just a political ploy designed to keep the more progressive European governments from intervening by positioning them to look like they would be supporting slavery if they took the side of the CSA. Both sides, after 80 years of argument about this issue had a hell of a lot of fighting to resolve before peace would be obtained and in the end, it took the complete total defeat of the South to make the fighting issues go away, though Black freedom would still remain a festering issue itself for another 100 years more. I don't think I could sum it up any shorter than that.

Regards

Post #: 3
RE: Why did they fight? - 7/10/2007 11:34:37 PM   
Roger Neilson II

Thanks those start to offer me some ideas. I am currently reading Shelby Foote's trilogy and recall, but cannot put my finger on it, a comment that seemed to indicate a view the South held that they were the true Americans and that the north was becoming more and more a polyglot of immigrants that had no real sense of true identity with the original US..... also listening to him being interviewed on Ken Burns' documentary he seems to indicate a level of 'blind faith' in both sides that meant people tended to believe what they were told back then compared to now?

Roger

(in reply to Gray_Lensman)
Post #: 4
RE: Why did they fight? - 7/11/2007 1:39:20 AM   
DrewGator

Allow me to recommend James McPherson's Battle Cry of Freedom. It does an excellent job of identifying and describing a lot of issues that were contributing factors to the American Civil War. I learned a lot of things that surprised me when I read it. For instance, the South was actively trying to extend slavery into other states and territories. They also tried to "acquire" Guatamala (by coup d'tat) and Cuba (by purchase) as slave states.

While McPherson does not completely blame the war on slavery in the South his primary position (I believe) is that the South wanted to preserve its agrarian economy that was dependent on slave labor. A pretty realistic and balanced analysis in my opinion.

DrewGator

Post #: 5
RE: Why did they fight? - 7/11/2007 1:57:27 AM   
Drex

When he says South he must mean the affluent south because the common southerner did not own slaves and hardly fought for the right of the rich to own slaves. What made the middle and lower class southerner want to fight? I believe it was to be free of Yankee domination and the right of self-determination.

quote:

Col Saito: "Don't speak to me of rules! This is war! It is not a game of cricket!"

(in reply to DrewGator)
Post #: 6
RE: Why did they fight? - 7/11/2007 2:14:24 AM   
Leegen

Southern politicians made the decision to secede from the Union primarily because they felt their slave-based agrarian economy was greatly threatened by the election of anti-slavery Lincoln.  Lincoln decided that he would not allow the South to voluntarily leave this Union of American States (an interesting contrast to the 20th century U.S. geopolitical stand on self-determination of peoples.)  Most soldiers who fought for the south were too poor to own slaves but saw the conflict as a 2nd American Revolution - resisting those who wished to impose on them a government and nation they did not wish to be a part of.  As to why they fought so hard and so long, they were primarily defending their own homes and states against an outside enemy as they saw it. 

Shelby Foote in Ken Burns' documentary "The Civil War" summed it up very eloquently by reciting a conversation between a confederate POW and his captor -  "Why are you fighting?" the soldier in blue asked his counterpart in gray. 

To which came the simple reply, "because you're here".

"But sir, how would that make him a better general?" Lee to Longstreet's request to courtmartial Stuart for disobeying orders.

(in reply to DrewGator)
Post #: 7
RE: Why did they fight? - 7/11/2007 2:26:52 AM   
rockmedic109

At the time, people identified with their state more than the nation.  You can get a sense of this in some of the writings of various people of the time.  You were Virginian before you were American.  Growing up as I have, I always felt more towards the nation than I do my state {California}. 

The difference between my upbringing and what I have read is striking.  I do not know if that is a western {for U.S. anyway} thinking or if it is something that grew out of the civil war. 

(in reply to Drex)
Post #: 8
RE: Why did they fight? - 7/11/2007 2:29:23 AM   
Leegen

Another take on the conflict can be gained by reading Alvin Toffler's "The Third Wave".  The Civil War was primarily a conflict between an agrarian "1st wave" society and an industrial  "2nd wave" society.  In the south, cotton was king and the 1st wave way of living meant society was genteel, the only important clock was the sun, and the individual was still important. Notice the way brigades, divisions, and corps  were named for the commander (Dole's Brigade, Pender's Division, Jackson's Corps). 

After the Industrial Revolution swept through the North everthing becomes an assembly line.  Punctuality to work is essential, bigger is better and everyone and everthing is just a number ( 3rd brigade, 2nd Division, V Corps).  Ultimately the assembly line approach produced more of everthing and, being more efficient, displaced the 1st wave society that was the Old South. 

Now we are beginning to see 3rd wave technologies  (brought about by the Information Revolution) begin to displace and replace the old 2nd wave elements of our societies. 

< Message edited by Leegen -- 7/11/2007 2:40:14 AM >

"But sir, how would that make him a better general?" Lee to Longstreet's request to courtmartial Stuart for disobeying orders.

(in reply to Leegen)
Post #: 9
RE: Why did they fight? - 7/11/2007 6:48:38 AM   
freeboy

Adding if I may to Rockmedic109, Think about the Germany prior to the rise of the nation state of Germany, a similar poeple and culture with "states" that often where at odds with teach other and at times coming to open conflict. In the US we had, prior to the Civil war, still called the war between the states by some, a nation of individual states. States where much more important than today, with great identety of the masses and ploitical will located in them as oposed to the national identaty we see today.

Polarizing opinions on the growth of the slaveary issue in the expansion to the west and the election of Lincoln and you have two "sides" of one "nation" whose leaders instead of being willing to take the difficult road towards mediation and a non violent solution instead chose the the open violent conflict.
Great ? btw!
Perhaps an add on game.. "The pre war years"

(in reply to Leegen)
Post #: 10
RE: Why did they fight? - 7/11/2007 8:42:35 AM   
Twotribes

quote:

ORIGINAL: freeboy

Adding if I may to Rockmedic109, Think about the Germany prior to the rise of the nation state of Germany, a similar poeple and culture with "states" that often where at odds with teach other and at times coming to open conflict. In the US we had, prior to the Civil war, still called the war between the states by some, a nation of individual states. States where much more important than today, with great identety of the masses and ploitical will located in them as oposed to the national identaty we see today.

Polarizing opinions on the growth of the slaveary issue in the expansion to the west and the election of Lincoln and you have two "sides" of one "nation" whose leaders instead of being willing to take the difficult road towards mediation and a non violent solution instead chose the the open violent conflict.
Great ? btw!
Perhaps an add on game.. "The pre war years"

Well except for the "both" sides not willing to negotiate. Lincoln made it CLEAR he had NO interest in doing anything about Slavery in the Slave States. Further he couldn't have if he wanted to. He didn't have the votes in Congress to do anything. Well until the south was no longer IN congress anyway.

Further when the States left the Union, Lincoln did nothing to provoke them except refuse to abandon Federal Forts and Arsenals. He did not even raise an Army until Sumnter was fired on. He wanted to resolve the issues with dialogue.

Further, the Southern States had no reason to fear a Lincoln Presidency. The courts and Congress had steadfastly made every decision in FAVOR of the Slave States.

The Irony of the war is that somehow rich slave holders managed to drag the entire south into a war to protect their interests and labeled it a "war of Independence".

There were issues besides slavery. The big ones being taxation and expecting an Agrarian society to pay at the same rate as an Industrial society. Tariffs imposed by the Federal Government had the potential to damage the Southern Economy.

Back then the Federal Government did not tax individuals, they got their money from tariffs on goods and such and requiring States ( as I recall) to provide certain enumerations to the Federal Government. The Northern States were better off financially and the mood was to make the South pay more through higher tariffs and such. Remember being mostly non Industrial all their major equipment came either from the North or overseas.

This then was how the south was whipped into fighting basicly for slavery. Taxation in any form from the Federal Government was a hot item, there were rebellions for years after the US was established over taxation.

So you had people loyal to their State, not the federal Government and you had the Industrial North appearing to unfairly tax the Agrarian South.

(in reply to freeboy)
Post #: 11
RE: Why did they fight? - 7/11/2007 3:44:23 PM   
november

If you read what the Southern leaders wrote, the war’s cause is perfectly clear: slavery, slavery, slavery. The years leading to the war were mired in this issue, namely slavery’s expansion. While it might be true that the South did not believe that Lincoln would abolish slavery outright, they knew that his election signaled the end of slavery’s expansion into the territories. This, of course, meant the end of slavery.

With all the information and interest about the war, it’s surprising that the war’s causes appear obscure. One explanation is that Southerners have (or used to have) more interest in the war than Northerners and they confined their interest to its military and cultural aspects while ignoring the political.

Shelby Foote, a Southerner, filled numerous volumes about the war yet paid almost no attention to its cause.

Foote is a really wonderful writer but if you are interested in a balanced presentation, read McPherson.

(in reply to Twotribes)
Post #: 12
RE: Why did they fight? - 7/11/2007 4:00:30 PM   
freeboy

quote:

slavery’s expansion into the territories. This, of course, meant the end of slavery

Not sure on that one.. want to explain?
Anyway.. bottum line Roger is , when there is a fundimental differrence in the attidudes of leadership that POLARIZES and creates a partisen atmosphere, war can happen. Look at England and its civil war? Cromwell and all that... not the same by any means but truly an avoidable conflict. I am no dove, simply stating that all measures to aviod war where not taken in the months after the election.

I find the current partisan politics in the US very similar, if you are "anti conservative or anti bush" it is in fasion to say and promate hatefull speach towards conservatives and there beliefs, including the president. On the other hand conservative hate-mongers have been throwing mud, not a good perspective but also not for these forums. This is simply an observation how the situations of POLARIZATION are fragmenting america, those who do not see the possibility for a 2nd civil war might be ignoring the "red " "blue" devide in the states.

< Message edited by freeboy -- 7/11/2007 4:02:01 PM >

(in reply to november)
Post #: 13
RE: Why did they fight? - 7/11/2007 4:31:30 PM   
november

@freeboy

Instead of me blowing hot air, you’re better off reading the history for yourself. Read about the political issues leading up to the war: the Kansas-Nebraska Act, Bleeding Kansas, etc. Only by becoming familiar with the political dynamics will you be able to understand why the South reacted to Lincoln’s election as they did.

(in reply to freeboy)
Post #: 14
RE: Why did they fight? - 7/11/2007 5:26:23 PM   
jkBluesman

Slavery and the expansion of slavery to new territories were the reason behind the more outspoken reason of states-rights. However, as Northern and Southern society were divided on the question of secession, the war was a limited war until the Emancipation Declaration after the Battle of Antietam (September 17, 1862). Then it turned openly into a war on slavery.

"War is the field of chance."
Carl von Clausewitz

(in reply to november)
Post #: 15
RE: Why did they fight? - 7/11/2007 5:37:43 PM   
Leegen

[ those who do not see the possibility for a 2nd civil war might be ignoring the "red " "blue" devide in the states.]

Actually, there is not so much of a political divide between regions of the country as there is between urban / suburban America as this county by county map at USA Today shows very graphically .

2004 Election Returns by County

< Message edited by Leegen -- 7/11/2007 5:44:57 PM >

(in reply to november)
Post #: 16
RE: Why did they fight? - 7/11/2007 6:23:36 PM   
PaulWRoberts

Just to add something:  most discussions of this issue talk about "Southerners" and "Northerners" as if these were homogeneous groups, but we should remember that we're mainly discussing the political and economic elites who controlled their respective legislatures, especially in the Southern states.  The interests of Piedmont planters were not the interests of Tennessee hill-country workers, for instance.  You can see this most of all when you realize how the term "Southerners" always excludes one large--in some areas (Mississippi, for instance) the largest--demographic group:  the slaves themselves, who were just as human as the legal citizens but whose interests were of course ignored completely.

(in reply to Leegen)
Post #: 17
RE: Why did they fight? - 7/11/2007 6:53:58 PM   
shangrila

Hey Rog,
(I'm obviously by my name from the WitP community as well LOL. I enjoy your posts very much there as well. This one is fun b/c you're dabbling in something , as you said, isn't learned about as much over there. I think it's very cool you have an interest.)
I think actually states rights versus federal mandate was more the issue at hand than slavery itself. While slavery was used across the board in the south it was really only required in rice farming where there was nothing available technologically or through pack/draft animal that could help in the harvest. In other areas of agriculture it offered the ability obviously to increase production dramatically on the cheap...but it was brought to this country specifically for Rice Farming in South Carolina. (Not cotton as many would generically believe)

In the south, as already noted, people held more loyalty to their own state than to the federal government. (Kind of like the way you chaps across the pond are more loyal to your football team than your country <joke> but with that kind of ferver. ) Furthermore you see many regiments in the south very upset about being used outside of their state and for reasons other than the protection of their own state. Many tried leaving based on the fact that they believed , as in 1812 etc in Virginia, especially those in the South Western part of the state, that they were signing up to protect their local region/state. They believed they were being used outside of their agreement with the militia when they were put in to regiments and marched from state to state. (26 members of my family served in the 63rd Virginia infantry (Kelly's Division at Chickamauga)...they saw battle in Virginia, Tenn, NC, SC, GA,FL,AL...one of very few groups to be from Virginia but serve in the Army of Tennessee under the unfortunate "leadership" of Bragg LOL.)Anyway culturally this tie to one's state over a nation is easily understood when you look at the people from the area...they were mostly Farmers from Germany, Ireland, Scotland...especially in the Mountains of VA/NC/TN...they settled the area because it looked like home. These are people used to fighting for their local turf against a bigger nation. They just wanted their own piece of rocky land to farm I guess :). It also explains their ability to fight. They hunted...they protected their lands since their fathers and grandfathers moved"over the mountain". Our military today still has a large proportion of american southerners. Our Special Forces today I'd wager are mostly southerners, knowing a number myself. (Though I'm not from the south.) I don't know how it is there...I'd guess your Northern Blokes are known as being the rough-housers.

If you really look at Lincoln himself he used the slavery issue as any modern politician would today. He made it an important issue only in places it was politically important...in other areas where it was more important to the economy he did not make slavery a big political issue until after he'd secured his position. He was a political waffler.

The South favored a federal government that kept it's hands off for the most part, and that each state was soveriegn. A much more loose idea than the north had for the future of the country. To a much smaller degree it's still an issue today. Many counties within states are dry (no alcohol allowed even though it's federally allowed)...states like California have made medical marijuana legal even though it illegal federally. (Generally, 90% of the time, this country defers to which ever law is most strict.... local or federal.)

I think we see these types of wars more commonly than not in history whenever religion isn't the main catalyst. Even the American Revolution(is it called the English Civil War or something overthere?)saw a great deal of this. In doing my genealogy the first person in my surname's family line was from the Pfaltz area of Germany. He fought in the Americian Revolutionary War shortly after arriving here. His name was Frederick Leonard.He fought in the Pennsylvania Line and there is a recorded account of him bayonetting 2 Hessian soldiers. (Germany wasn't a single state then, but these men fighting for the British were people that spoke his native language, more like him then the majority of Anglo peoples he was fighting with and for(Though his area was mostly Pennsylvania Dutch and others from the Palatinate) He later moved to Southwest Virginia near Abingdon and participated at the battle of King's Mountain (his name is on the monument there) against Col. Patrick Ferguson. (He was a Scot, his forces were entirely made up of American Loyalist supporting the British...he also wore a Fox hunting Jacket while in command believing American revolutionaries were no more than game...colorful fellow...he took no less than 7 musket balls by the end of the day)...anyway...Frederick's group charged a loyalist group that his own brother-in-law was in. This was a battle where both sides had about 1000 men each. So you know they ran in to each other. So I think we see this common thread of brother vs brother quite often in war where the goals are political.

So I think if you really look at it both sides in the American Civil War actually had very valid reasons to fight. The South wanted its own states rights and wished to be their own loose union if the United States Federal government wasn't supportive of their needs. Furthermore the North couldn't have that because the South was the American bread basket. Slavery was one of the issues because the South didn't see that they could sustain their output with out it.
Anyway I've gone on long enough...in short...I think States Right vs Federal Rights were the real issue. Lincoln was a modern politician and wasn't as constant on slavery as most people think...we see people that have more in common than not fighting each other in most of history's wars, and I think if you dig in to the reasons a little more you'll see both the Federalist and CSA had very valid reasons.

Have a great one...see you on the Witp Boards.

< Message edited by shangrila -- 7/11/2007 7:00:11 PM >

Post #: 18
RE: Why did they fight? - 7/11/2007 8:29:17 PM   
MengCiao

quote:

ORIGINAL: Roger Neilson II

Thanks those start to offer me some ideas. I am currently reading Shelby Foote's trilogy and recall, but cannot put my finger on it, a comment that seemed to indicate a view the South held that they were the true Americans and that the north was becoming more and more a polyglot of immigrants that had no real sense of true identity with the original US..... also listening to him being interviewed on Ken Burns' documentary he seems to indicate a level of 'blind faith' in both sides that meant people tended to believe what they were told back then compared to now?

Roger

My impression is that essentially the successionists were bluffing and their warlike passions were given free rein in hopes that they would not have to fight much. Hence the odd notion at the time that men in the north were in some sense not real...ie the south had to convince itself that there really would not be a fight. When I read the letters of my ancestors and their associates, they are full of the most grotesquely self-congradulatory bravado imaginable...though, rather mysteriously the inane bravado is never that of the writer but of some imaginary community "everyone here is impatient to" (have a big battle etc.)...It is the language of pure delusion. How eager was the average southerner to participate in the actual war as a war and not as shared delusion? For example, as soon as Lee crossed into Maryland in 1862, about half of his army simply took an extended leave of absense. You could say this showed that the south was so virtuous that only wanted to defend its homes (ie and not have an actual war) or that about half of even the most highly motivated southerners could tell when reality was about to show how deluded they were about having a safe, trouble-free, war of bluff and bravado rather than the murderous, virtually religious crusade the Northerners were being pushed into.

The corpus of a thousand battles rises from the flood.

Post #: 19
RE: Why did they fight? - 7/11/2007 8:33:35 PM   
november

The only way to understand why the war occurred is to go back and study the politics of the time for yourself. You’ll find that the expansion of slavery was the overarching topic of the day. The years before the war were particularly bitter and—like the war itself—incomprehensible without understanding the politics of the time.

Briefly, the South believed that if slavery was not allowed in the new territories, the number of free states would grow to an insurmountable majority and eventually banish the institution. This struggle dominated US politics during the years before the war when the inevitability of westward expansion became obvious.

The slavery expansion issue destroyed the Whig party during the first part of the 1850’s and led to the creation of the Republican Party. Then it destroyed Democratic party unity during the latter part of the decade (when Doughlas broke with President Buchannan and the Southern Democrats over the issue). The splintering of the Democratic party led to Lincoln’s election. Lincoln was the first Republican ever elected president (and only the second to run).

< Message edited by november -- 7/11/2007 8:35:51 PM >

(in reply to shangrila)
Post #: 20
RE: Why did they fight? - 7/11/2007 9:14:50 PM   
Roger Neilson II

I really am glad I asked the question. I am learning so much from all this. Thank you to all who contributed....

There's no overall consensus, but a lot of common ground. In particular I realise I've been looking at this from a hindsight view which takes for granted the USA was the USA from 1776 when we graciously allowed you lot to take charge (big Big joke comment, do not TAKE Seriously) So I've been seeing this as very much a bunch of crazies trying to remove themselves from the USA - when in fact the USA wasn't that established an entity. After all it was only 70 odd years ago it had been created.

Roger

(in reply to november)
Post #: 21
RE: Why did they fight? - 7/12/2007 12:50:57 AM   
Gil R.

During my recent 2400-mile swing I was listening to the audiobook of David McCullough's biography of John Adams, and it reminded me how strong the sectional divisions were even before the country became a country. New England, the central colonies, and southern colonies all had distinct interests, and so the Continental Congress often had to find ways to balance these interests (e.g., a diplomatic mission to Europe would have to include someone from each). And even back then, the dependence of the southern colonies/states on slavery was an issue of paramount importance, and they feared the efforts of outsiders who would bring about an end to slavery. So the tensions that led to the Civil War were already there in the days of the Founding Fathers, and some of them, including Adams, were deeply concerned about these divisions and what they portended.

Great book, by the way. The unabridged audiobook is $100 new, but I got it used from Amazon for $50 and consider it money very well spent.

Post #: 22
RE: Why did they fight? - 7/12/2007 1:40:03 AM   
Erik Rutins

On a side note, if any of you have ever seen the musical 1776 (good light entertainment) it also is accurate in showing pretty clearly how challenging it was for the founding fathers and their peers to agree on things given the interests of each state.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 23
RE: Why did they fight? - 7/12/2007 4:04:38 PM   
Valdemar

Roger;

Let me first thank you for asking this question. It is refreshing to see a European taking an interest in America for something other than vilifying us as "a force for evil in the world" (Times of London). It is also nice that a game sparks this kind of desire to learn and know history.

Before I try to answer you question, I think it is important to note that most Americans, including some who've posted here, don't have a clue about the causes of the Civil War. Worse yet, those that do have a passing knowledge of it, tend to evaluate the history in terms of modern values and perspectives. As November has pointed out, you need to study the history of the times. One very important point, and one I cannot emphasize enough, is that the philosophy of politics and culture were on the minds of many common Americans during the decades preceding the Civil War. The issues were not strictly the prerogative of the social and political elites. That cynical portrayal is one modern people superimpose on the past because that is so much a part of our times. The average American is uninformed, inattentive, and uncaring about the issues today and the elites are the ones driving the issues. This was not true of Americans in previous centuries. The topics of abolition, state's rights, the nature of the relationship between government and its citizens were all hot topics that were as important to the average American then as Global Warming, African relief, and hating America is to you Europeans today.

Causes
Roughly, the major causes were:
- the moral debate over slavery and race.
- the failure of the political system to resolve the mounting crisis caused by the slavery issue.
- the massive cultural divide between north and south.

Some, particularly those who hold Marxist views of history, attribute economic issues as a major cause in the conflict. In a word, it is total crap. The only issue that even touches on economics was southern opposition to Homesteading. Since you may not be familiar, Homesteading was the act of creating small family farms on land given away by the Federal government to encourage settlement and economic development of the lands to the west. While it is true that the North, West, and South had very different economic structures, they weren't in competition with each other. In fact, they each benefited enormously by trading for goods with the others that they did not produce themselves. As an example of economic interests taking a backseat to moral concerns, take New England, a hotbed of Abolitionism, was completely dependent on southern cotton to fuel it's prosperous textile mills.

I'll give a brief timeline of significant events that will highlight the moral, political, and cultural divide that existed between North and South right from the founding of this nation.

1787 - US Constitution is ratified. Establishes the USA as a Republic, not a Democracy.
- only white men who owned property were allowed to vote or hold office.
- 9th Amendment, part of the Bill of Rights, says that the Bill of Rights is not comprehensive and other rights not specifically mentioned are retained by the people.
- 10th Amendment, Bill of Rights, says that all powers not delegated to the Federal government or specifically denied to the States are retained by the States.

The last two were important as the basis for the "States' Rights" argument and right of Americans to self-determination, even if that meant rebellion.

1787 - The Northwest Ordinance outlawed slavery in the area that would later become the States of Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, and Minnesota.

1798 - The Kentucky and Virginian Resolutions. Introduce the Doctrine of Nullification. The acts said the States don't have to abide by a Federal law if they don't want to. It was based on southern interpretation of the Preamble to the Constitution. Southern states believed the Federal government drew its power only from the States and therefore the States could nullify its laws. The Federal Government claimed its power was derived from the people also, not just the States. The laws being challenged were the Alien and Sedition Acts.One of the best pieces of legislation in American history and recently revived with the Patriot Act.

1808 - The USA outlaws the slave trade and sends most of the US Navy to assist the RN in patrolling the West Coast of Africa to enforce the ban.

1816 - The American Colonization Society was formed to send freed slaves back to Africa. The nation of Liberia was formed and drew its name from the word "liberty" and its capital's name Monrovia from President James Monroe. Also famous for the Monroe Doctrine.

1820 - The Missouri Compromise. It admits Maine to the Union as a free State in exchange for admitting Missouri to the Union as a slave State.

1828 - The Nullification Crisis. John C. Calhoun, Vice President of the United States, writes the South Carolina Exposition and Protest in which he advances the Nullification Doctrine (see above) and he advocates secession for southern States in response the Tariff Act of 1828.

1830 - Daniel Webster, then Senator and later Secretary of State, delivers one of the greatest speeches of the era on the floor of the Senate rebutting the Nullification Doctrine.

1832 - President Andrew Jackson, the guy on the twenty-dollar bill, threatened to use force to end secession of South Carolina brought about by the Nullification Crisis.

1833 - American Anti-Slavery Society is founded by William Lloyd Garrison and includes noted black intellectual Frederick Douglas.

1834 - Lane Theological Seminary scandal. A staunch abolitionist student named Weld held anti-slavery rallies at the school and came into opposition with the more moderate religious thinkers of the day. This was an important event in forcing religious people to reconcile their beliefs with the ugliness of slavery.

1836 - The Gag Rule. In response to a flood of petitions to end slavery inspired by Abolitionist groups and religious leaders, The US House adopts a rule stating that all anti-slavery petitions received are to be tabled immediately without debate, thus killing them. President John Q. Adams campaigns bitterly for the length of his term to end the gag as a threat to the Constitution.

1837-1845 - several anti-slavery activists are murdered. The Methodist and Southern Baptist Convention break their affiliations over the slavery issue.

1848 - Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo. The treaty signed by Mexico and the United States after the end of the Mexican-American War. The debate over slavery in the newly acquired territories flares.

1850 - The Compromise of 1850. California is admitted to the Union as a free State while Texas is admitted as a slave State. The compromise also included passage of the Fugitive Slave Law of 1850 which levied a fine of $1,000 dollars on any law enforcement official who did not arrest for return any suspected runaway slave. This law was supported by northern Democrats and opposed by southern Unionists of the Border States.

1851 - Southern Unionists elected. In the State and gubernatorial elections of 1850-1, southern Unionists win many seats, thus defeating another swell of secessionist anger sweeping through the South.

1854 - The Kansas-Nebraska Act. Opens new territories to homesteading and allows for local plebicites to determine whether the new territories will become free State or slave State upon entering the Union. This effectively guts the Missouri Compromise of 1820. Northern Abolitionists are appalled that States could potentially be added as slave states where it had previously been forbidden by the Missouri Compromise. The Republican Party forms as a result of the disintegration of the Whig Party over the issue.

1855-1861 - Too many events to cover. Suffice to say that violence erupts in Kansas, Missouri, and elsewhere. John Brown, an anti-slavery partisan takes over Harper's Ferry. The Supreme Court hands down a ruling in the Dred Scott case that will lead directly to the passage of the 13th, 14th, and 15th Amendments after the War. The election of Lincoln as President is the final straw that causes secession and open war, even though low-level civil war had been going on in isolated areas for sometime before the formal commencement of hostilities.

Just as an aside, you will read and hear that Abraham Lincoln was not an Abolitionist and that he cynically employed emancipation as a tool to garner support for the war and so on. In essence, that he didn't believe in Abolition and only used slavery as a political means to an end. At best, that portrayal is cynical ignorance, and at worst, malicious lies. Lincoln openly and formally declared his Abolitionist views in the 1858 Lincoln-Douglas debates. His personal correspondence reveals his deep hatred of slavery going back decades before he became President. I could go on, but there is clear and compelling evidence that Lincoln was a genuine Abolitionist and was inspired by his deeply held Christian beliefs. And it was his publicly declared support for Abolition that precipitated the secession of southern States once he was elected President.

I hope this is helpful and inspires you to read and learn more about this fascinating time in American history.

Regards,
Valdemar

"Tell my mother that, when you found me, I was with the only brothers I had left. She'll understand that." - Private Ryan

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 24
RE: Why did they fight? - 7/12/2007 4:42:02 PM   
PaulWRoberts

Valdemer,

A very good post! Thanks.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Valdemar
Before I try to answer you question, I think it is important to note that most Americans, including some who've posted here, don't have a clue about the causes of the Civil War. Worse yet, those that do have a passing knowledge of it, tend to evaluate the history in terms of modern values and perspectives. As November has pointed out, you need to study the history of the times. One very important point, and one I cannot emphasize enough, is that the philosophy of politics and culture were on the minds of many common Americans during the decades preceding the Civil War. The issues were not strictly the prerogative of the social and political elites. That cynical portrayal is one modern people superimpose on the past because that is so much a part of our times. The average American is uninformed, inattentive, and uncaring about the issues today and the elites are the ones driving the issues. This was not true of Americans in previous centuries. The topics of abolition, state's rights, the nature of the relationship between government and its citizens were all hot topics that were as important to the average American then as Global Warming, African relief, and hating America is to you Europeans today.

But the issue is not whether these topics were on people's minds; the issue is whether the average American had any say in what was going to happen. Do remember that 19th-century elections and political representation were an even dirtier and less transparent business than those we have today. The average Southern politician was delighted to stake his honor on his idea of liberty and nation, but this does not mean that the average Southern private really thought of States' Rights as worth the dysentery or a Minie Ball to the face. Most of them, especially after first seeing the elephant, would have been happier at home tending crops or sleeping with his wife.

If this makes me a Marxist, so be it, but I don't believe so. (I'm a Southerner with CSA ancestors, FWIW.)

(in reply to Valdemar)
Post #: 25
RE: Why did they fight? - 7/12/2007 5:23:51 PM   
Drex

A very impressive over-view of the history of the slavery question. Frankly I hadn't heard of some of the issues since my high school history(never took history in college). I think Roger Neilson has a real good perspective now. And although the southerner-on-the-street was probably more polictically concerned than todays' American, that still doesn't mean he would fight in the fields for slavery. to keep the Yankee out, yes.

quote:

Col Saito: "Don't speak to me of rules! This is war! It is not a game of cricket!"

(in reply to Valdemar)
Post #: 26
RE: Why did they fight? - 7/12/2007 5:38:30 PM   
Valdemar

quote:

ORIGINAL: Paul Roberts

Valdemer,

A very good post! Thanks.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Valdemar

But the issue is not whether these topics were on people's minds; the issue is whether the average American had any say in what was going to happen. Do remember that 19th-century elections and political representation were an even dirtier and less transparent business than those we have today. The average Southern politician was delighted to stake his honor on his idea of liberty and nation, but this does not mean that the average Southern private really thought of States' Rights as worth the dysentery or a Minie Ball to the face. Most of them, especially after first seeing the elephant, would have been happier at home tending crops or sleeping with his wife.

If this makes me a Marxist, so be it, but I don't believe so. (I'm a Southerner with CSA ancestors, FWIW.)

Paul,

I'm glad you raised the issue of how southern commoners viewed the war. It's an important point. Generally speaking, and I emphasize that I am speaking to characterize the attitudes of most southerners, not all of them, the reason they went to war so eagerly and bitterly against the north was the perception that northern Abolitionists were a self-righteous lot trying to dictate a hostile philosophy. Moreover, many felt that northerners had been unfair in characterizing the South and southern values. And finally, some held that northern politicians had deliberately tried to keep the South from industrializing in order to prevent any competition, thus preserving northern prosperity at the expense of the South. And lets be honest, many southern whites, poor and rich, held racist views that simply would not allow them to embrace a world where blacks were entitled to the same rights as whites. Finally, for men of conscience like R. E. Lee and Longstreet, a Republican, their motive was simply patriotism. Southerners viewed the South as a captive nation and when odious philosophies threatened what they perceived to be the natural order, they reacted accordingly. Why did truly decent men like von Stauffenberg fight for the likes of Hitler? Because he felt duty-bound as a German patriot to help his country. I think that same attitude explains many Confederate soldiers.

However, I think your last sentence was completely unnecessary. The only people I've called Marxist were those authors who've promulgated the notion that the chief cause of the War was this sort of mass class struggle brought about by economic injustice, where evil industrial Capitalists from the North conspire with slave-owning Capitalists from the South to cause mutual destruction of the innocent and unsuspecting proletarians, North and South. You know, that same old Marxist crap about class struggle and evil oppressors, and blah, blah, blah and everything being about "economic injustice". Nowhere did I imply or infer that a differing view from mine makes you a Marxist.

What makes your last sentence ironic on top of being unfortunate, is that I agree with you that southern elites were the instigators of much unhappiness.

Regards,
Valdemar

< Message edited by Valdemar -- 7/12/2007 6:04:08 PM >

"Tell my mother that, when you found me, I was with the only brothers I had left. She'll understand that." - Private Ryan

(in reply to PaulWRoberts)
Post #: 27
RE: Why did they fight? - 7/12/2007 6:16:05 PM   
jkBluesman

It is interesting that most of the posts deal with the Southerners. But Northerners fought for different reasons as well. Some wanted to keep the Union, others wanted to put an end to slavery and to Southern overproportional influence on US-politics.
And we should not forget that on both sides a lot of people did not want to fight at all. Look at the poorer whihtes in the South and the immigrants (espacially the Germans) who arrived at New York and were drafted although one reason why they had fled their country was to avoid military service.

(in reply to Valdemar)
Post #: 28
RE: Why did they fight? - 7/12/2007 6:41:56 PM   
PaulWRoberts

Valdemar,

Thanks for the reply--I thought the Marxist tag was meant for me, or partially.  No rancour intended here!

I think anyone wanting to study the question in more depth could do a lot worse than go to McPherson's Battle Cry of Freedom, a book that tackles the question of Why They Fought from all angles. 

(in reply to jkBluesman)
Post #: 29
RE: Why did they fight? - 7/13/2007 1:21:54 AM   
SittingDuck

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

On a side note, if any of you have ever seen the musical 1776 (good light entertainment) it also is accurate in showing pretty clearly how challenging it was for the founding fathers and their peers to agree on things given the interests of each state.

I saw that as a kid (around the Bicentennial, I think), and I have to say it was truly awesome. It really was like being there watching everything. If people haven't seen it, if it ever comes around, I would absolutely see it. But as a kid, you don't just see actors - you see Philadelphia and Jefferson and all of them, like it was almost real.

Good memory, and yeah - the play does a good job of underscoring the tension over slavery and the tenets of the Constitution.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Why did they fight? Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI