Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Anyone still play the board games?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Anyone still play the board games? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Anyone still play the board games? - 6/9/2001 8:20:00 PM   
DerSoldat

Was curious.Im 28 years old and still enjoy pulling out and playing the greats.Here are a few of my favorites. CRY HAVOC,SIEGE,OUTREAMER (Standard Games) CLOSE ASSAULT (Yaquinto) SNIPER!/HETZER SNIPER!/SPECIAL FORCES (SPI/TSR) AMBUSH! (VG) Squad Leader/ASL (AH) Shell Shock (VG) Soldiers(Westendgames) MBT and IDF (AH) As you can see Im a big fan of tactical games but I play a few of the bigger games like Gulf Strike,The Fleet games and Central America as well.Its so hard to find players these days.Play a few RPG's to like MERC and Twilight 2000.Mostly solitare now though due to it being so hard to find players or get new people interested.Most Ive tried to teach look at board games and get bored with them.I guess the computer and console systems are responsible for this.I still collect them in any event and have so many bookcase war games that I could fill 4-5 bookshelves.Its an addiction! :D [ June 09, 2001: Message edited by: DerSoldat ]

"Keep going. Don't look left or right, only forward. . . The enemy is confused; we must take advantage of it." -Erwin Rommel after crossing the Meuse River in France "In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it." -Erwin Rommel
Post #: 1
- 6/10/2001 12:14:00 AM   
gdpsnake

I'm an addict too since 1965! Got 5 bookcases full leading back to original Panzer Blitz and others. I live in San Antonio and have a very hard time finding human opponents. It can be done though we're a dying breed. Try the internet under games, wargames, etc. Most are teenagers into role playing stuff but you can find others. Keep trying and good luck! Anyone out there in San Antonio?

(in reply to DerSoldat)
Post #: 2
- 6/10/2001 1:35:00 AM   
Bob Toncray

Another board gamer here! Been playing since the late 50's. Started play games on a dinner table with matchbook covers as unit ids and stats. Used pieces of coat hangers as range finders. Ahh those were the days! THEN I found Tactics II. Was a lifetime subscriber to SPI's Strategy and Tactics. When they closed down, as a "lifer," they sent me a large box of back issues (about 50 in all). Miss those day!.. Enjoyed popping open my favorite beverage, looking across the table at my opponent and playing until dawn!

(in reply to DerSoldat)
Post #: 3
- 6/10/2001 6:30:00 AM   
DerSoldat

quote:

Originally posted by Pioneer Bob: Another board gamer here! Been playing since the late 50's. Started play games on a dinner table with matchbook covers as unit ids and stats. Used pieces of coat hangers as range finders. Ahh those were the days! THEN I found Tactics II. Was a lifetime subscriber to SPI's Strategy and Tactics. When they closed down, as a "lifer," they sent me a large box of back issues (about 50 in all). Miss those day!.. Enjoyed popping open my favorite beverage, looking across the table at my opponent and playing until dawn!
Ahhh Yes the all nighters.A few friends and I used to load up on Sodas and coffee and Id create large squad leader campaigns that would last a few days.Man I miss those times. :D

"Keep going. Don't look left or right, only forward. . . The enemy is confused; we must take advantage of it." -Erwin Rommel after crossing the Meuse River in France "In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it." -Erwin Rommel

(in reply to DerSoldat)
Post #: 4
- 6/12/2001 9:59:00 PM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Hey love the look feel and entertainment of a board game. Nothing does a better job of separating the men from the boys like a good game of Advanced Third Reich or Advanced Squad Leader I play many other classics as well. Alas computers are good at making the kiddies think that because they have a cool computer they can out think me when it counts. Best way to win an arguement with a teen thats full of themself, and their superior strategical thinking, is make them prove it on the dining room table. Third Reich never had a tutorial no quick play rules. You couldnt make the game play with the slightest click of a mouse either. If you didnt read the rules you didnt have anything happen at all!! Now granted I have played a few computer games that were a bit challenging.... sometimes. But even the average teen is smarter than any AI I have encountered (maybe thats why they think they are so smart hehehe). I play Steel Panthers mostly because its amusing. I only lose when I play my old wargamer buddy, and he is in the groove that day. Generally I have enjoyed trashing the computer. Thats perhaps the best thing I can say about 5.01. My first campaign, the computer handed me my butt on a platter, it was cool. I was getting bored of beating incredible odds so often. If its not common knowledge on here. You guys might be interested to know that Advanced Third Reich has a mailing list devoted to the game (as well as the designs many extrapolations). And the software exists to quite literally play the actual board game not some modified or screwed up variant design, by email. I dont have the specific sites currently handy but even a dolt could locate them.

I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.

(in reply to DerSoldat)
Post #: 5
- 6/13/2001 10:13:00 AM   
Bob Toncray

Sometimes When playing a wargame on the computer, I think back to the times when I would study combat tables to see what I needed and if i could get a decent roll of the die/dice. Man! Miss those dice. D-Day by Avalon Hill. After playing 50 LONG turns, just to get down to the last turn, on more unit to cross the River into Belgium to win. 3:1 Die roll please!!! Must have shaken that die for 5 minutes. Across the table it tumbles and slid as I prayed to the gods of war to get that die to roll right. Then it stopped...... I must have cried for an hour after that. What a stinkin' roll.... Exchange. What a good game that was. Man miss those dice.. Maybe somone should put a wave file in a game that as it is thinking of it's turn, you can hear the rattle of dice in a cup.. Rambling thoughts!!!
quote:

Originally posted by DerSoldat: Ahhh Yes the all nighters.A few friends and I used to load up on Sodas and coffee and Id create large squad leader campaigns that would last a few days.Man I miss those times. :D

(in reply to DerSoldat)
Post #: 6
- 6/14/2001 1:05:00 PM   
degen

One of my first games was the original Sniper. I liked the simultaneous movement feature and generally just played with 4-8 guys against a buddy of mine. It always seemed whoever controlled that middle building would when the game... I also enjoyed Melee and Wizard for some good medieval/fantasy tactical combat. We adapted it to fight dungeon battles. Btw, like your signature quotes. What do you think of mine?

"I would have much rather that he had given me one more division" - Rommel after receiving his field marshall baton

(in reply to DerSoldat)
Post #: 7
- 6/15/2001 4:33:00 AM   
Brummagem

forget the name of the Avalon Hill game ( it's been 30+ years but I can remember taking up the whole living room with ship counters as we fought, me with the German High Seas Fleet and Dave with the British. Come to think of it the name 'Jutland' comes to mind. Our motto was 'beware the vacumm cleaner :D I must say it was simpler time, and yes you had better be able to read and be pretty good at math (no hand calculators)

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experienece----well... that comes from poor judgement."

(in reply to DerSoldat)
Post #: 8
- 6/15/2001 10:56:00 PM   
CaptMalmgren

The name of the Avalon Hill Game was Jutland. My first game was Avalon Hill's Waterloo Campaign. I was 11. I always found it odd how you could slaughter an opponent when he could see everything you were doing on the board. I never did just "play". :D

(in reply to DerSoldat)
Post #: 9
- 6/16/2001 10:20:00 PM   
DerSoldat

quote:

Originally posted by degen: One of my first games was the original Sniper. I liked the simultaneous movement feature and generally just played with 4-8 guys against a buddy of mine. It always seemed whoever controlled that middle building would when the game... I also enjoyed Melee and Wizard for some good medieval/fantasy tactical combat. We adapted it to fight dungeon battles. Btw, like your signature quotes. What do you think of mine?
Great quote degen.Im a big fan of the Desert Fox.In my opinion one of Germanys best.

(in reply to DerSoldat)
Post #: 10
- 6/17/2001 5:51:00 AM   
Warpup

My first boardgame was AH's square Gettysburg. I remember many great games of Wooden Ships and Iron Men, Victory in the Pacific, and Cross of Iron. Worst dice rolls were in Cross of Iron. In "Breakout from Borisov" had my two Stukas drop a miss and a dud on the two big Russian tanks (that took some "12" rolls on that two die system. In "Defense of Luga" had my ambushes open up on Russians to virtually no effect time after time, and then had my 9-2 leader and two squads on the upper floor of a two story stone building get hit by a moving T-34/76 and break and kill them (ended that fight!). My favorite two player game was Victory Games' Civil War. The way initiative shifted back and forth during each turn made this game almost as totally engaging for both players as a real time computer game. Although I enjoyed Stellar Conquest, Mighty Fortress, Civilization, and Pax Britanica, my all time fave multiplayer game was Empires in Arms. Actually, EiA is not so much a game as a powerfull narcotic drug. When I had to leave LA to get out of the smog I left behind a great 7 player game of EiA. I went through withdrawal symptoms for many years afterwards untill I tried some e-mail EiA and found that it just couldn't take the place of the FTF game. :)

(in reply to DerSoldat)
Post #: 11
- 6/19/2001 10:08:00 AM   
ron mosher

quote:

Originally posted by Warpup: I went through withdrawal symptoms for many years afterwards untill I tried some e-mail EiA and found that it just couldn't take the place of the FTF game. :)[/QB]
Try ASL on-line with the VASL interface using avoice connection--almost as good as face to face. :) ASL has a monster Inet presence and is growing almost daily! An old groggie like me is constantly tripping over ASL newbies :D ron

(in reply to DerSoldat)
Post #: 12
- 6/19/2001 12:33:00 PM   
degen

quote:

Originally posted by DerSoldat: Great quote degen.Im a big fan of the Desert Fox.In my opinion one of Germanys best.
That statement by Rommel always stuck with me. If he would have received 10th Panzer (plus supplies of course) at El Alamein the war in the desert could have been much different. He still may not have won the battle, but it would have been interesting to say the least and it could have unhinged the Allies grip on Egypt.

"I would have much rather that he had given me one more division" - Rommel after receiving his field marshall baton

(in reply to DerSoldat)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Anyone still play the board games? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI