Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

HOI 2

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> HOI 2 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
HOI 2 - 7/17/2007 6:16:37 AM   
goodwoodrw

Hi, has anybody played this game extensively? Does it have depth, and is it easy to get into?
Ron

Formerly Goodwood

Post #: 1
RE: HOI 2 - 7/17/2007 8:40:13 AM   
Huskalator

Yeah I found it to have quite a bit of depth.  Certain things like industry and politics are abstracted to a degree but combat outcomes relies on many, many factors.  It took me about 2-3 days to really understand everything that was going on.

I would recommend it especially since you can probably pick it up now for about $15.

SW Episode 2:Good movie, bad love story

Happiness is the only good. The time to be happy is now. The place to be happy is here. The way to be happy is to make others so.

(in reply to goodwoodrw)
Post #: 2
RE: HOI 2 - 7/17/2007 10:22:05 AM   
JudgeDredd

I would highliy recommend it, but I think you must be prepared to put a fair bit of time into it...not as much as WitP maybe...but it does need some dedication.

I like the scale, the depth and the game play. Speed time up, slow it down or pause it. Configure what messages you need to see and what ones to pause for etc, etc...

I think someone posted recently that they didn't like the fact that you could play as Romania and rule Europe...Well I've never done that, but I do like the fact that you can play as a minor and have your own little war with your own little neighbours (Be argentine and rule South America...that kind of thing)...I think the abstraction and ahistorical nature are a god send.
As mentioned above, some things are abstracted, but the system itself is great, imo.

Alba gu' brath

(in reply to Huskalator)
Post #: 3
RE: HOI 2 - 7/17/2007 11:53:36 AM   
ravinhood

I would highly recommend Crusader Kings/HOI jewel case buy over HOI 2. Crusader Kings is by far the best of the entire series. Medieval times, better than MTW or M2TW in realism and fun value. You build a dynasty and have to deal with your court as well as try to conquer the map. The Horde invasion is something to live for and behold. Just when you think you've got them licked another horde appears on the map. Not just one like the Total War series. Plus you can play as a count, duke or king to start out.

As far as the HOI's go. I much prefer the origional, though I don't have a great love for Paradox initial releases. You've waited long enough though if you get HOI 2 at least you're getting a complete and finished product, not the mess that it was and especially HOI was when released. The origional HOI allows you to do more ahistorically. HOI 2 does as well, but, the origional just allows for more like taking Brazil and getting into the fray of things if you govern them well and fast enough. Before the final patching of the HOI's i could take Brazil and conquer Spain, Italy, N. Africa, liberate France and take parts of Germany. That's pretty fun even if it is ahistorical.

As far as depth yes they all have depth, but, not really in great quantities. It's pretty simple to figure out how to play, it's another thing figuring out what you should play or when to play it. It takes some time and several games to get use to the civilization type of research, what is important, what's a waste of time. Playing the political game can be fun, but, what gets most annoying is the popups of all the events going on. Of course you can turn much of this off, but, several are pretty important and you'll want to leave those on and they can still get pretty annoying even after turning many of them off.

Battles are pretty abstract as well. You send in your army to a province and you pretty much have to rely on size and quality and terrain vs the same from the other side. You don't get any hands'on play from the engine. You pretty much just watch and bite your nails and hope you win. All their games are like this when it comes to battle. Fortunately they did add a "very slow" speed setting to the game, so, you can take your time pretty much in your decisions, just don't take all day. If you really need a lot of thinking time (as I do) then you can totally pause the game and turn it back on after you have given your orders for the day.

They can be found for under $10 at Amazon.com nowadays. I would link it, but, that's a bit unfair to Matrixgames I think. ;)

It's gone up some since I got it for $4.99 awhile back. Still under $10 bucks though, both of them. Get both and you'll have many hours of play ahead of you. ;)

< Message edited by ravinhood -- 7/17/2007 11:58:52 AM >

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 4
RE: HOI 2 - 7/17/2007 4:36:44 PM   
Monkeys Brain

Anyone knows does someone provided sprites all in one package???

I really hated those honchos at Paradox because their substandard work on sprites, HoI 2 is excellent but I play with sprites... I may try the game one more time if I find all in one sprites package... don't want to install sprites 10 times, one for inf., one for naval etc... thanks...

edit: soon there will be Hearts of Iron Anthology (all HoI 1 and Hoi 2 with add ons) for just 29.99 green ones. I could provide link but don't want to, it would be unfair to Matrix Games.

< Message edited by Monkeys Brain -- 7/17/2007 4:38:51 PM >

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 5
RE: HOI 2 - 7/17/2007 4:46:30 PM   
JudgeDredd

Sorry...I never play with sprites so I don't know if there is a sprites package

Alba gu' brath

(in reply to Monkeys Brain)
Post #: 6
RE: HOI 2 - 7/17/2007 5:17:57 PM   
String

Some sprite packages can be probably found on the paradox forums.

I'd personally suggest HoI2 as it is a much more refined product than HoI1.

AFAIK there's also a complete set on sale which includes HoI1,2 and all the addons. Perhaps that is the best choice as the addons are quite good. Armageddon allows many options which somewhat emulate the HoI1 ahistorical options.

< Message edited by String -- 7/17/2007 5:19:08 PM >

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 7
RE: HOI 2 - 7/17/2007 5:40:33 PM   
coreymas

As a long time player of the HOI series here is my opinion.

HOI1 (the first game in the series) patched to version 1.6 and using CORE is a very enjoyable game. Extremely detailed in the tech tree and very stable. Graphics are not the forte of Paradox but that does not phase me.

HOI2 (the original) patched to version 1.3 is a decent game but lacks a bit of ummmph. Again Graphics are not the forte of Paradox but that does not phase me.

HOI2 DD (doomsday) is a standalone version of HOI2 with some improvments in the Management side of things (auto sliders for production etc). This is a nice polished game when patched to version 1.3 but judging from Paradox's new patching policy (only 3 patches per product -- any more and they release a new upgrade that you have to pay for) means to me that this is the final patch for HOI2 DD. Again Graphics are not the forte of Paradox but that does not phase me.

HOI2 DD with Armageddon Addon -- Very interesting what if scenarios and the ability to go into th 1960's is interesting. The most noticable added value is upgradeable attachements to Ships and the ability to build attachements to units at procurement time. Again Graphics are not the forte of Paradox but that does not phase me.

HOI Anthology -- To be released in late August 2007. Will include all of these products plus a wall map, physical war medal and the ability to have a custom avatar on the Paradox forum site for 29.99 US.

If you are only interested in HOI2 then you can buy HOI2 Doomsday for 19.99 on Gamersgate and the Armageddon add on pack for 5 $ right now.

There are alot of graphics mods available for HOI2 (and game mods as well) which you can find by going to the paradox forum site.

If you have any further questions you can go to the paradox forum site. Everyone there is nice and friendly.

Corey

(in reply to String)
Post #: 8
RE: HOI 2 - 7/17/2007 6:06:32 PM   
Monkeys Brain

quote:

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd

Sorry...I never play with sprites so I don't know if there is a sprites package

No problem, thanks anyway... I will look for them in the Paradox forum as String suggested.

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 9
RE: HOI 2 - 7/17/2007 6:10:06 PM   
flintlock

quote:

ORIGINAL: coreymas

HOI Anthology -- To be released in late August 2007. Will include all of these products plus...

HOI Anthology is actually a decent looking package. I could do without the medal, though the rest of the bundle is nice for $29.99 USD.

(in reply to coreymas)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> HOI 2 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote