Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Brig Gen D. H. Cooper CSA

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Generals' Biographies Project >> Brig Gen D. H. Cooper CSA Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Brig Gen D. H. Cooper CSA - 7/18/2007 7:27:21 PM   
shenandoah

Brig Gen Douglas Hancock Cooper (b.1815, d.1879) He was born November 1, 1815 in southern Mississippi. Cooper received his education at the University of Virginia and in 1834, returned to Mississippi. In 1844, he was elected as State Representative to the Mississippi State Legislature. Two years later, war with Mexico began where he saw service as Captain in the Mississippi Rifle Regiment that was commanded by Colonel Jefferson Davis. At the battle of Monterey, Cooper was cited for bravery and gallantry. After returning to the U.S., he was appointed as the U.S. agent to the Choctaw Nation of the Indian Territory in 1853. During the next few years, he would be stationed at Fort Washita and negotiate the boundary between the Choctaw and Chickasaw Nations. In 1861, Cooper joined the Confederacy and was sent to secure an allegiance with the Choctaw, Chickasaw and Cherokee Nations. Cooper raised the 1st Choctaw and Chickasaw Mounted Rifles and was commissioned Colonel. On November 19, 1861, he led his force at the battle of Round Mountain against the Union force made up of Creeks and Seminoles led by Muscogee Creek Chief Opothleyahola. The next month, Cooper defeated them at Chusto-Talasah and Chustenahlah. At the battle of Pea Ridge in March 1862, Cooper was present but his troops were not engaged. Brigadier General Albert Pike resigned from the army which gave Cooper the command. Cooper then led his army into Missouri and fought the Union at Newtonia in September and October and withdrew back to Arkansas. Promotion to Brigadier General came March 2, 1863. The battle of Honey Springs occurred in July 17, 1863. Bad weather, few supplies and low quality of gunpowder proved too much to overcome defeat. Cooper retreated and again was defeated a few days later at Prairie Springs and then Perryville in August in the Indian Territory. After 1863, the Southern forces in the West were never able to threaten the North with any serious campaign. Cooper was appointed commander of the Indian Territory. He surrendered his remaining forces in April 1865. After the war, he returned to Fort Washita where he represented the Choctaw and Chickasaw Nations in suing the U.S. government for failed promises and treaties. Cooper died April 29, 1879 and was buried in an unmarked grave at the fort’s cemetery.
Post #: 1
RE: Brig Gen D. H. Cooper CSA - 7/18/2007 7:58:20 PM   
Gil R.

Thanks.

Michael Jordan plays ball. Charles Manson kills people. I torment eager potential customers by not sharing screenshots of "Brother Against Brother." Everyone has a talent.

(in reply to shenandoah)
Post #: 2
RE: Brig Gen D. H. Cooper CSA - 8/3/2007 7:22:33 AM   
Gil R.

Here's Cooper. Ready to go, other than the question about his promotion date.

Brig. Gen. Douglas Hancock Cooper (b. 1815, d. 1879). Cooper was born November 1, 1815 in southern Mississippi, receiving his education at the University of Virginia. In 1834 he returned to Mississippi, and ten years later was elected as State Representative to the Mississippi State Legislature. Two years later, war with Mexico began, and Cooper saw service as a captain in the Mississippi Rifle Regiment that was commanded by Col. Jefferson Davis, future President of the Confederate State of America. At the Battle of Monterrey, Cooper was cited for bravery and gallantry. After returning to the United States, he was appointed as the federal government’s agent to the Choctaw Nation of the Indian Territory in 1853. During the next few years, he would be stationed at Fort Washita and negotiate the boundary between the Choctaw and Chickasaw Nations. In 1861, Cooper joined the Confederacy and was sent to secure an allegiance with the Choctaw, Chickasaw and Cherokee Nations. Cooper raised the 1st Choctaw and Chickasaw Mounted Rifles and was commissioned colonel. On November 19, 1861, he led his force at the Battle of Round Mountain against the Union force made up of Creeks and Seminoles led by Muscogee Creek Chief Opothleyahola. The next month, Cooper defeated them at Chusto-Talasah and Chustenahlah. Cooper was present at the Battle of Pea Ridge in March 1862, but his troops were not engaged. When Brig. Gen. Albert Pike resigned from the army in the aftermath of this battle, facing charges both of mismanagement of army resources and that the Indians under him had scalped the fallen enemy, Cooper was given command of Pike’s Indian Brigade. Cooper then led his force into Missouri and fought the Union at Newtonia in September and October of 1862, subsequently withdrawing back to Arkansas. Promotion to brigadier general came on March 2, 1863 (Wikipedia has May 2 rather than March 2 – any idea which is right?). The Battle of Honey Springs, a decisive victory for the Union that gave it lasting control of Indian Territory, occurred on July 17, 1863. Bad weather, few supplies and gunpowder made wet by the rain proved too much to overcome, though Cooper’s generalship also received much criticism. Cooper retreated and again was defeated a few days later at Prairie Springs and then in August at Perryville in Indian Territory. After this, the Southern forces in the West were never again able to threaten the Union with any serious campaigns in or from Indian Territory, though Cooper, who was commander of Confederate forces in Indian Territory, did accompany Gen. Sterling Price in his second Missouri raid in 1864. Cooper surrendered his remaining forces in April 1865. After the war, he returned to Fort Washita, where he represented the Choctaw and Chickasaw Nations in suing the U.S. government for failed promises and treaties. Cooper died on April 29, 1879 and was buried in an unmarked grave at the fort’s cemetery. (Bio by Andrew Thayer)

Leadership: 3
Tactics: 1
Initiative: 1
Command: 2
Cavalry: 3

Teaches: Independent (9), Fast (4)

Start date: 52

Michael Jordan plays ball. Charles Manson kills people. I torment eager potential customers by not sharing screenshots of "Brother Against Brother." Everyone has a talent.

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 3
RE: Brig Gen D. H. Cooper CSA - 8/10/2007 2:53:03 AM   
Gil R.

I just found the website for a Douglas Cooper Society, so I'll consider their promotion date of May 2, 1863 as definitive. This means the bio's all ready to go.

The URL: http://douglascoopersociety.org/

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 4
RE: Brig Gen D. H. Cooper CSA - 8/10/2007 8:46:42 PM   
shenandoah

Hi Gil. Sorry for the delay in the response. May 2 is the real date. I not sure where March 2 came from, my apologies. I am back home for a few weeks before going out to do more art shows. My next bio will be Montgomery D Corse, unless someone has done it.

1 year, 200 bios and counting.

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 5
RE: Brig Gen D. H. Cooper CSA - 8/10/2007 9:01:34 PM   
Gil R.

No, Corse is still assigned to you.

I think that editing bios will go faster once I get out of the way a bunch of big-name guys whose bios need shortening. In general, editing bios that are under 3600 characters or so goes pretty quickly, since I just make a few corrections and can add any details I think worth including without worrying about having to shorten the bio; bios that are well over 4000 characters, on the other hand, take much, much longer. Once I take care of those, things should improve significantly.

What I'm really dreading is editing down three very good but very long bios that Murat did for Burnside, Longstreet and Sherman last year -- since he's gone, I can't ask him to shorten them himself. (Longstreet's is nearly 8000 characters!) Also, both he and Battleline did bios for Stuart, and I need to sit down one day and combine them by taking one and adding interesting material from the other, and then boiling it down, and that's going to take some time, too.

(in reply to shenandoah)
Post #: 6
RE: Brig Gen D. H. Cooper CSA - 8/16/2007 8:16:39 PM   
jkBluesman

If you like, I can try to get Longstreet down to 4000. He was the general who's bio I read first (by Wert). As he is one of the most controversial characters of the war he had drwan my attention.
Murat's text seems to be influenced by Longstreet's memoires that are not very reliable as he constantly overstressed his role to answer the campaign by Early, Pendleton and other deciples of the "Lost Cause".

"War is the field of chance."
Carl von Clausewitz

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 7
RE: Brig Gen D. H. Cooper CSA - 8/23/2007 1:49:21 AM   
Gil R.

Really? I'd certainly welcome the help. I'm almost done cutting down Sherman, which is one heck of a difficult thing to do.

I am pretty sure that I posted this before, but here is the version that was fully edited and actually in the game -- until Eric discovered, after many hours of debugging because of a mysterious crash, that the length of this bio was causing the crash:

Lt. Gen. James “Old Pete” Longstreet (b. 1821, d. 1904). Longstreet was a West Point graduate from the class of 1842, where he met and became friends with future Union General Ulysses S. Grant, who would graduate from the academy a year later. Appointed to the U.S. Fourth Infantry, Longstreet welcomed Lt. Grant to that command and formally introduced Grant to his cousin Julia Dent (whose brother had been Grant's roommate as a plebe). Longstreet would serve as the best man at their wedding after the Mexican War. In that war, Longstreet fought at Palo Alto, Resaca de la Palma, Monterey, Vera Cruz, Cerro Gordo, San Antonio, Churubusco, and Molino del Rey, winning the brevets of captain and major, and he was subsequently wounded seriously at the Battle of Chapultepec. Longstreet was promoted to full Captain in 1852, and in 1858 full Major and paymaster, and stationed at Albuquerque, N. M. At the outbreak of the Civil War he resigned this office and reported to Richmond on June 29, 1861, receiving a commission as Brigadier General effective July 1, 1861 and was ordered to report to Gen. P.G.T. Beauregard at Manassas. At the ensuing battle there, Longstreet commanded the 1st, 11th and 17th Virginia regiments, repulsing the Federal attack at Blackburn's Ford and threatening the enemy’s rear. On October 17, 1861 he was promoted to Major General, and with this rank he commanded a division of the army under Gen. Joseph E. Johnston. As fate would have it, Johnston was wounded and Gen. Robert E. Lee took command in the defense of Richmond, intertwining the destinies of Longstreet and Lee. ”Lee's Workhorse,” as the nickname implies, spent most of his time with the Army of Northern Virginia, effectively acting as second in command and being partly responsible for many of its successes both by planning strategy and leading one wing of the army. Early on, Longstreet realized that the Western Theater was the key to the war. His plan was to hold the Union army in place at the Potomac River with one army, while using an offensive wing to take over areas sympathetic to the southern cause, such as Kentucky, Missouri and the southern portions of Illinois, Indiana and Ohio. When Pres. Jefferson Davis approved a plan that was the opposite, Longstreet dutifully set to work to make the Eastern Theater capable of carrying the war to the North. His idea of moving Gen. “Stonewall” Jackson's forces by rail to reinforce Beauregard and Johnston at First Manassas allowed the Confederacy to achieve the first victory of the war. Longstreet again suggested using Jackson in the summer of 1862 to augment the Army of Northern Virginia’s forces and reverse Union Gen. George B. McClellan's Peninsular Campaign. Jackson's foot-dragging in coming into line during the Seven Days Battle led Longstreet to suggest to Lee that he personally go and order Jackson to move. Instead, Lee chose to execute a frontal assault at Malvern Hill. After following the retreating enemy to Harrison's Landing, Longstreet entered upon his command of the 1st Corps of the Army of Northern Virginia, with Jackson leading the 2nd Corps. Jackson marched at once to confront Union Gen. John Pope in northern Virginia, and Longstreet soon followed. While Jackson flanked the enemy from their strong position on the Rappahannock River Longstreet engaged them at various points on the river and, finally forcing the passage of Thoroughfare Gap, participated in the crushing defeat of Pope's army. In the Maryland campaign of 1862, he moved his division from Frederick to Hagerstown, with part of his command holding the South Mountain passes, while Jackson captured Harper's Ferry, and at Antietam he won additional renown for stubborn and heroic fighting. On October 9, 1862, Longstreet was promoted to Lieutenant General. At Fredericksburg two months later, the fighting of the left wing, including the heroic defense of Marye's Hill, was under his supervision. In the spring of 1863, Longstreet operated with part of his corps at Suffolk, but rejoined Lee at Fredericksburg after the Battle of Chancellorsville and the mortal wounding of Jackson. It was decided at this crisis to create a diversion by a campaign into Pennsylvania, and in accordance with the general plan Longstreet moved his command to Chambersburg, Pennsylvania, and thence to Gettysburg, reaching the field in person on the afternoon of the first day of the battle. At Gettysburg, Longstreet immediately saw that Union Gen. George G. Meade had achieved superior field position and suggested that Lee move the army between Meade and the Union capital, forcing Meade to fight against entrenched positions as Burnside had done at Fredericksburg. Lee, having been successful thus far, decided to continue the fight on the Federal front, and chose multiple assaults to try to drive Meade from his position. Longstreet's troops arrived in time to participate in the second day's battle. On the third day, under orders from Lee, Gen. George Pickett's division, reinforced by Gen. J. Johnston Pettigrew and Gen. Isaac R. Trimble, made the memorable and ill-fated charge against the Federal position on Cemetery Hill. After the defeated Confederate army had retired to Virginia, Longstreet was finally sent west to assist in stopping the Union armies. Longstreet, along with Gen. John B. Hood’s and Gen. Lafayette McLaws' divisions, was sent to reinforce Gen. Braxton Bragg in northern Georgia, and as commander of the left wing at Chickamauga he crushed the Federal right, becoming, as D. H. Hill wrote, “The organizer of victory on the Confederate side, as Thomas was the savior of the army on the other side.” In late 1863, after the Union army under Gen. William S. Rosecrans was shut up in Chattanooga, Longstreet was detached for the capture of Knoxville. Marching to that point in November by difficult roads, he began assaulting the works, but soon was apprised of the defeat of Bragg at Chattanooga. Rejoining the Army of Northern Virginia before the fighting began in the Wilderness, he took the field on May 6 and led his men in a successful assault which promised the defeat of Grant's army, until in the confusion a Confederate volley seriously wounded him within a mile of the spot where Jackson had been mortally wounded a year earlier. After returning to duty that October, Longstreet commanded on the north side of the James River during the greater part of the sieges at Richmond and Petersburg, and during final movements of the Army of Northern Virginia before its surrender at Appomattox Courthouse he commanded the advance and main portion of the army. After the war had ended, Longstreet was told by Pres. Andrew Johnson, “There are three persons of the South who can never receive amnesty: Mr. Davis, General Lee, and yourself. You have given the Union cause too much trouble.” Nonetheless, the U.S. Congress did restore his citizenship in 1868. Having left military life behind, Longstreet engaged in business at New Orleans, and during Grant's presidency his old friend appointed him first as surveyor of that city’s port, and afterward supervisor of internal revenue and postmaster. In 1880, Longstreet was appointed United States minister to Turkey, and under Pres. James A. Garfield he was United States Marshal for the District of Georgia. In October, 1897, Longstreet was appointed United States Railroad Commissioner, succeeding former Confederate Gen. Wade Hampton. Having become a Republican, Longstreet he was often seen as a collaborator with the Reconstructionists and several fellow former Confederate generals tried to blame defeats on him. His own memoirs placed the blame for the defeat at Gettysburg on Lee, and he blamed other icons such as Jackson for other defeats as well – and many modern historians have come to agree with his observations. (Bio by “Murat”)

(in reply to jkBluesman)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Generals' Biographies Project >> Brig Gen D. H. Cooper CSA Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI