Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Small Ship, Big War

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> RE: Small Ship, Big War Page: <<   < prev  32 33 [34] 35 36   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 7/11/2007 11:00:49 PM   
Capt. Harlock

quote:

I very much regret to say I have received word that battleship Yamashiro has been lost, though most of her crew was saved.”

Up until now the IJN had only lost one ship larger than a destroyer; a light cruiser. What will be the effect on morale of having lost a capital ship? Ishii must be tempted not to inform Hibiki's crew -- but the rumor mill will probably take the decision out of his hands.

Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 991
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 7/12/2007 12:23:47 AM   
HMS Resolution

No! No the Yamashiro, the best-looking IJN battleship!

(in reply to Capt. Harlock)
Post #: 992
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 7/12/2007 2:27:20 AM   
rtrapasso

quote:

ORIGINAL: HMS Resolution

You're kidding, right??

< Message edited by rtrapasso -- 7/12/2007 2:28:49 AM >

(in reply to HMS Resolution)
Post #: 993
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 7/12/2007 2:40:27 AM   
kaleun

Things heat up!

Appear at places to which he must hasten; move swiftly where he does not expect you.
Sun Tzu

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 994
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 7/12/2007 3:44:12 AM   
Cuttlefish

quote:

ORIGINAL: Capt. Harlock

Up until now the IJN had only lost one ship larger than a destroyer; a light cruiser. What will be the effect on morale of having lost a capital ship? Ishii must be tempted not to inform Hibiki's crew -- but the rumor mill will probably take the decision out of his hands.

The crew doesn't know yet, but you're right, they will soon. I imagine the effect on morale will depend on the outcome at Koepang.

quote:

ORIGINAL: rtrapasso
quote:

You're kidding, right??

It all depends on whether you think that towering, pagoda-style superstructures are cool or just odd-looking.

(in reply to Capt. Harlock)
Post #: 995
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 7/12/2007 3:49:13 AM   
Cuttlefish

January 14, 1943

Course: West
Attached to: TF 72
Mission: Air Combat
System Damage: 2
Float Damage: 0
Fires: 0
Fuel: 443

Orders: Proceed to Amboina.

---

“Koepang? Where is that?” asks Riku. Shiro informs him that it’s in Timor, but Riku just makes an impatient gesture. “I know that,” he says, “or rather, I heard that too, but where is Timor, exactly? Isn’t it down around Australia someplace?”

“Somewhere around there,” says Shiro. “It was a Dutch possession, I think.”

“I heard it was Portuguese,” says another sailor. “But I thought it was west of Java.”

“No, I’m pretty sure it’s east of Java,” says Shiro. The talk continues for a moment but is interrupted by the arrival of Petty Officer Takahashi, who has come over to break up the discussion.

“Of course, Petty Officer, our apologies,” says Riku cheerfully after Taiki tells them to get back to work. “Could you answer a question for us first, though? You know the charts and maps as well as anyone on board. Where is Koepang, exactly, and why does anyone want to fight for it?” Taiki inclines his head briefly in acceptance of the request and then puts his hands behind his back as he begins to speak. Though he does not know it this is a habit he has acquired from Lieutenant Miharu, who at the moment he very much resembles.

“It is the major port at the west end of Timor, which is a large island about four hundred miles from Australia,” he says.

“That means it’s east of Java, right, Petty Officer?” asks Shiro. Taiki shakes his head.

“South of Java, actually,” he says. “Before the war it was divided into two halves politically, the Dutch controlling the west and the Portuguese the east. Now, of course, it is all Japanese. As to why anyone wants to fight for it, I have never heard that it is a place that holds much of interest to anyone except the inhabitants. But it is a barrier between Australia and the southern resource area, which is why I imagine the enemy is eager to take it away from us.” He stops and looks at the sailors. “And that is all we really need to know. More than we need to know, actually. Back to work, you can jaw at each other about it on your own time.” The men acknowledge this and move away, except for Riku.

“I guess all the time that Chief Shun spent making me memorize those maps paid off, eh?” Taiki tells him. Riku looks at him.

“Yes, Petty Officer,” says Riku. “If I may ask, does he still push you as hard as he used to?”

“Oh yes,” says Taiki. “I don’t think he thinks much of me being a petty officer.” They have started to walk off, but now Riku stops and turns to Taiki in surprise.

“You are kidding,” he says. Taiki looks confused. “You really don’t know, do you?”

“Know what?”

“Taiki-san,” says Riku, falling into their old habits of conversation, “it was Shun who recommended you to the Captain for promotion.” Taiki looks more confused than ever.

“That can’t be right,” he says.

“You are one of the smartest people I know,” says Riku, shaking his head, “but sometimes I don’t think you understand people very well. Back when we were ordinary seamen together the rest of us all knew that Shun thought you had potential. That was why he pushed you harder than anybody else. Did you ever see him make anyone else study things the way he made you do?”

“I thought it was because he disliked me! But…how do you know it was Shun that recommended me?” says Taiki. He still looks puzzled, but more thoughtful now.

“Who else knew about your memory, or your skill with numbers?” asks Riku. “It had to be Shun. I’m the only other person who knew, and it wasn’t me.” He shudders. “I like my friends too much to try and turn them into officers. No offense, Petty Officer,” he adds hastily. “Besides, I know it’s true, I have it from a reliable source.” What Riku does not add is that he probably knows more about Shun than anyone on board except for Captain Ishii. Studying the Chief Petty Officer has become a project of his. If he is ever to turn Shun into anything other than an enemy, he feels, he needs to understand the rather difficult and rather complex man.

Taiki is standing lost in thought. “Hm,” he says at last, “that is very interesting. It does explain a lot of things.”

“I thought you would want to know,” says Riku. Taiki eyes him.

“Thank you, Seaman Ariga,” he says. “And now I think it is time we both returned to our duties.”

“Yes, Petty Officer,” says Riku, and promptly does so.

< Message edited by Cuttlefish -- 7/12/2007 9:59:53 PM >

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 996
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 7/12/2007 4:45:45 AM   
HMS Resolution

quote:

You're kidding, right??

I'm serious as a heart attack. They look absolutely awesome.

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 997
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 7/12/2007 5:31:22 AM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

quote:

You're kidding, right??

I'm serious as a heart attack. They look absolutely awesome.

Beauty is in the eye of the beer-holder.

"Mighty is the Thread! Great are its works and insane are its inhabitants!" -Brother Mynok

(in reply to HMS Resolution)
Post #: 998
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 7/12/2007 6:49:25 AM   
princep01

Yamashiro as BB poster girl.....hummmm, not in my book.  I always thought her to look like a haphazard house of cards leaning awkwardly toward the bow.  How some of those oddly stacked control, command and observation "decks" stayed attached to the vessel in a heavy sea is beyond belief.

But, each to their own.  Apparently, for an older BB she was effective.

(in reply to Onime No Kyo)
Post #: 999
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 7/12/2007 5:20:33 PM   
Feinder

quote:

It all depends on whether you think that towering, pagoda-style superstructures are cool or just odd-looking.

Seems like some folks have Freudian issues.

-F-

"It is obvious that you have greatly over-estimated my regard for your opinion." - Me

(in reply to princep01)
Post #: 1000
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 7/12/2007 9:55:09 PM   
HMS Resolution

Not at all. The superstructure reminds me of a big friendly stack of books on my desk.

(in reply to Feinder)
Post #: 1001
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 7/12/2007 10:00:03 PM   
Cuttlefish

January 15, 1943

Course: West
Fuel: 400

---

A wave crashes across Hibiki's bow. Water sluices along the deck and drains out of the scuppers in wide streams. On the bridge Captain Ishii expertly braces himself against the pitch and roll of the ship. The weather has turned a little rough, but he has seen far worse.

“Winds at 41 knots, glass reads 1009 millibars and falling,” says Ensign Izu, eyeing the weather instruments.

“Thank you, Ensign,” says Captain Ishii. “Head down to the radio room and pick up the latest weather reports, will you?” Ensign Izu acknowledges this order and departs the bridge.

The task force is passing south of the Caroline Islands, and typhoons have been known to form here this time of year. Captain Ishii has been through a full strength typhoon aboard a destroyer once before, and he has no desire whatsoever to repeat the experience. He trusts that Admiral Ozawa is monitoring the weather and the reports from nearby bases as well, but he wants to keep as up to date with developments as possible.

Typhoons that form in these waters generally head north, but the captain also knows that tropical storms and typhoons are not uncommon off the west coast of Australia this time of year. The wind and the sea are neutral adversaries, Ishii reflects. They will batter Japanese and Allied forces with equal vigor, showing no favor to either side.

The rain begins to fall harder. Another wave breaks over the bow, but the destroyer shrugs it off with little effort. Like many Japanese warships the Akatsuki class destroyers tend to be a bit top heavy, but the weather will have to get much worse than this before that becomes a problem.

Ensign Izu climbs back onto the bridge and hands the captain several message flimsies. Captain Ishii takes them and looks them over.

“A weak tropical depression,” he says after a moment. “Not projected to get any worse along our course. Good.” Ensign Izu returns to his station and Captain Ishii turns and looks out at the rain and the whitecaps. At least the bridge is fully enclosed now. He can remember when it wasn’t.

The Japanese ships plow on through the storm, heading for Amboina.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 1002
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 7/13/2007 3:05:18 AM   
Cuttlefish

January 16, 1943

Course: Southwest
Fuel: 355

---

Rain continues to fall, though the wind and seas have subsided a little. The weather is still bad enough to keep the Japanese carriers from launching planes. While this hinders the task force’s ability to spot lurking submarines, it does at least mean they can steam at constant speed.

The Japanese ships are now heading southwest. The various task forces have seperated a bit and are now strung out over about 100 miles, with Ozawa’s ships in the lead.

Early in the evening Lieutenant Miharu comes onto the Hibiki’s bridge. Captain Ishii gives him a quick status report, then asks his executive officer if he has any questions.

“Just one, sir,” says the lieutenant. “Have we heard anything about what’s happening on Timor?”

“Not a thing,” says Captain Ishii, shaking his head. “It’s been a week since the enemy launched their attack, and three days since we last had any news. Anything could have happened. Since we are still on course there is probably still a battle going on, but beyond that your guess is as good as mine. And we are still several days away.”

“We will just have to wait and see, then,” says Lieutenant Miharu.

“Yes,” says Captain Ishii. “I confess I am a bit impatient. This could be an important battle, our chance to finally meet the enemy when he is attacking and smash him.” He sighs. “I wish we were already there. It sits ill with me to be so far from the action when other ships and other men are fighting.”

“We’ll get our turn,” says the lieutenant.

“I know,” says Ishii. “Listen to me, I’m starting to sound like Lieutenant Sugiyura.” He stretches. “You have the ship, Exec. I’m going to go enjoy my dinner and then get some sleep.” Lieutenant Miharu wishes him a good evening, and the captain turns and goes below.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 1003
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 7/13/2007 5:18:27 AM   
princep01

Steaming through the storm to find a different kind of storm.  Wow, the tension mounts steadily.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 1004
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 7/13/2007 10:07:13 PM   
kaleun

Cuttlefish knows how to keep the reader's interest, doesn't he?

Appear at places to which he must hasten; move swiftly where he does not expect you.
Sun Tzu

(in reply to princep01)
Post #: 1005
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 7/14/2007 12:09:47 AM   
Cuttlefish

January 17, 1943

Fuel: 318

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 1006
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 7/14/2007 12:12:31 AM   
Cuttlefish

January 18, 1943

Course: Holding position
Fuel: 287

---

Somebody was obviously thinking ahead, Captain Ishii thinks approvingly. Hibiki and the rest of Ozawa’s task force have just made rendezvous with a large convoy of tankers and oilers. Admiral Ozawa signals to the rest of the fleet that they will wait here for the other ships to catch up. Once the task forces refuel and enter the Banda Sea they will have to be prepared for action, and that means keeping them close enough together to provide mutual support.

That the slow tankers were sitting here waiting for them tells Ishii that the Imperial Navy had obviously considered this scenario ahead of time and made at least some preparations. This is reassuring; it makes the entire operation feel less like a charge into the unknown, despite the fact that he and the rest of Hibiki’s crew still have little idea what the situation is around Timor.

Ishii cons the ship alongside one of the oilers when Hibiki’s turn comes and waits impatiently while the destroyer’s fuel tanks are filled. Having his ship lashed to a large target while at a maximum speed of 6 knots makes him feel very vulnerable. No enemy submarines have been spotted in the area, but that doesn’t mean they aren’t out there.

The operation is completed without incident, however. Ozawa’s ships pull off to patrol the area while the next task force, based around carriers Hiryu, Kaga, and Akagi, approaches and prepares to refuel. The remaining ships are not expected until early the next day. After they are all refuelled the entire fleet will proceed past Amboina and into the Banda Sea, prepared to meet whatever forces the enemy has in the area.

< Message edited by Cuttlefish -- 7/14/2007 12:13:16 AM >

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 1007
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 7/14/2007 2:10:08 AM   
Cuttlefish

January 19, 1943

Fuel: 474

Orders: Proceed to Kendari.

---

With all task forces refuelled the Japanese ships receive a slight change in orders. Instead of moving to Amboina they are to bypass Ceram to the west and proceed directly to Kendari.

This makes sense to Captain Ishii. Kendari is the nearest major Japanese base to Koepang. Once they are there they will no doubt learn more about what has happened and is happening around Timor.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 1008
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 7/14/2007 2:13:24 AM   
Cuttlefish

January 20, 1943

Course: South
Fuel: 443

---

Commander Dudley Walker Morton, known as “Mush” Morton to almost everybody, is facing a dilemma. His submarine, the Wahoo, has been assigned to patrol the Molucca Strait. Morton is supposed to watch for Japanese ships transiting the strait from the Pacific Ocean. Since their arrival ten days ago, however, he and his men have not seen a single enemy ship. Ordinarily Morton would shift his patrol area, but his orders tether him here. Morton is a hunter, not a watcher, and this patrol has been making him impatient.

Until now, that is. At the moment the Wahoo is right in the middle of what looks to him like the entire Japanese fleet. Morton is currently looking at a pair of Hiyo class aircraft carriers. They are about 7000 yards away, too far for a good shot. Closer in, however, is a light cruiser and a trio of destroyers. There seem to be many other groups of Japanese warships in the area, all heading south.

Morton is torn. His first duty, according to his orders, is to get clear and report what he has seen. But an opportunity like this may not come along more than once. “Mush” does not debate the matter long, however. If his superiors wanted someone who would play it safe they selected the wrong man for the job. Morton wants a shot at those carriers. He lowers the periscope and issues orders that he hopes will bring Wahoo to within firing distance.

---

“Captain!” calls the voice of the radio operator through the speaking tube on the bridge. Captain Ishii steps over to the tube.

“Yes?” he says.

“Sir, I’m picking up a signal from light cruiser Kinu. She reports she has been struck by a torpedo, sir. Other ships are hunting the sub. Uh…” there is a pause. Captain Ishii waits patiently. “Sir, Kinu reports damage is heavy but the ship is not threatened.”

“Thank you,” says the captain. “Let me know when you hear anything further.” He steps away and passes the word to the lookouts that enemy submarines are in the area. Kinu’s task force is about 20 miles to the northeast, Ishii thinks. Hibiki and the rest of Ozawa’s ships have thus already passed the submarine that made the attack, but there may well be other submarines nearby.

---

Several hours later, after the last sounds of enemy ships have faded into the distance, Wahoo surfaces. Morton is angry with himself. No kill, much less on a carrier. Perhaps a more aggressive approach would have done the job. Still, that’s one less Jap ship able to engage the fleet around Timor.

It is near dusk, and no enemy ships or airplanes are spotted in the area. Wahoo has sprung a couple of small leaks, but the damage is minor. The Japs had their depth charges set too shallow. Morton scribbles out a report and hands it to the radioman.

Spotted many, repeat many, enemy ships, inc. aircraft carriers. Enemy fleet detected at -2.59 lat., 126.82 long. at 3:30 pm local, course south, estimated speed 26 knots.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 1009
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 7/14/2007 2:29:37 AM   
kaleun

(bites nails furiously.)

Sun Tzu

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 1010
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 7/14/2007 7:19:14 AM   
Grotius

Exciting!

The episode with the storm reminds me: can we ever actually encounter a typhoon/cyclone/hurricane in WITP?

(in reply to kaleun)
Post #: 1011
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 7/14/2007 4:36:53 PM   
tocaff

Damn, I was in the bathroom and missed the torp hitting.

Todd

I never thought that doing an AAR would be so time consuming and difficult.
www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2080768

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 1012
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 7/16/2007 4:40:40 AM   
Cuttlefish

January 21, 1943

Course: South
Fuel: 406

---

Chief Engineer Sakati is pleased. Hibiki has dashed halfway across the Pacific and the engines are running as well as they did when the destroyer left Kwajalein. Engines are fickle things, he muses. When the ship made its abortive trip north not long ago several minor things went wrong after only a week of cruising. But here they are almost to Kendari in the Dutch East Indies and there have been no problems at all.

Sakati would like to claim that the lack of trouble has been due to his skill and diligence, but he suspects there is more to it than that. One would not think there was a lot of luck involved with machinery, he muses, but perhaps there engine spirits just as there are spirits associated with things in the natural world. At least it seems to him sometimes that whether engines hold up well or not is due to some capricious will, or perhaps just a toss of some strange kind of dice.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 1013
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 7/16/2007 4:45:41 AM   
Cuttlefish

January 22, 1943

Fuel: 376

Orders: Seek out and destroy enemy warships and transports around Koepang.

---

The fleet anchors off Kendari early in the morning. While destroyers patrol and numerous Zero-sen fighters fly protectively overhead the senior officers in the fleet are summoned ashore and briefed. Captain Ishii is gone for several hours, and upon his return he summons Lieutenant Miharu to his cabin.

“You have new, Captain?” says the lieutenant after courtesies have been exchanged. Captain Ishii smiles grimly.

“Indeed I do, Exec,” he says. “Pull up a chair.” After Miharu does so and sits down Captain Ishii continues. “First, we depart after sunset tonight for Timor. By dawn tomorrow we are going to be in position to seek out and destroy the Allied fleet.”

“Do we still hold Koepang, then, sir?” asks the lieutenant.

“Yes we do,” says Captain Ishii. “I will tell you what has happened so far, at least as much as I know.” And while Lieutenant Miharu listens the captain tells him.

---

The Japanese had occupied Timor in January 1942 as part of their drive to isolate Java. Since then Koepang had been occupied by the Japanese 35th Brigade and a good number of engineers and support troops.

These troops had been busy over the past year. The terrain around Koepang is a twisty web of ridges and valleys. The ridges run every which way, and are well suited to defense. The Japanese had poured a lot of time, effort, and concrete into improving the natural defenses and fortifying key areas. Webs of cunningly hidden bunkers, blockhouses, tunnels, and other emplacements grew to form a formidable ring around the town and harbor.

Given the terrain the Japanese planned to defend inland, but the likely landing beaches were not neglected. Minelayers were kept busy, and prior to the Allied attack there were an estimated 3500 mines in place offshore.

The Allied attack ran into problems almost immediately. The first force on the scene, a heavy cruiser squadron, ran into a superior Japanese cruiser force in the darkness and was defeated. Four destroyers were lost. The Japanese force, however, suffered enough damage in return that it was compelled to withdraw.

The cruisers were followed by battleships. They found the waters clear of Japanese ships and proceeded to begin shelling Japanese positions, but almost immediately one of the battleships struck a mine. This caused enough confusion that little damage was done before sunrise, when the battleships were attacked by Japanese bombers based out Kendari and Amboina. The escorting Zeroes brushed aside the protective combat air patrol and the G4M bombers caused heavy damage with their torpedoes.

The landings then proceed with some difficulty. Harassed by bombers and battered by mines and defensive batteries, the transports and the units aboard them suffered losses. Units landed in a disorganized fashion, with units intermingled and some units ending up far from where they were supposed to be.

Over the next several days, however, the US carriers nearby succeeded in establishing some control of the air. This enabled some shelling of Japanese positions to occur and thwarted continuing attempts by the Japanese Navy to interfere further. It was during this time that US carrier planes sank Yamashiro and several destroyers. All the while, however, Japanese submarines and bombers continued to extract a steady toll on Allied shipping.

At length, however, the US 43rd and Australian 7th divisions were ready to attack. Once they did the extent of the Japanese defenses became clear. Progress was slow and casualties heavy. The Allied forces had paused to reorganize their attack and land more supplies when word arrived from submarine Wahoo that Japanese carriers were approaching the area.

---

“And that is where we stand,” concludes the captain. “We attack tomorrow. We have to anticipate that the enemy knows we are coming. Will their carriers or warships attempt to meet us, or will they withdraw?”

“Surely they will not abandon so many men?” asks Lieutenant Miharu.

“I do not know,” says Ishii. “There are no doubt strategic considerations on both sides of which we are unaware. All I know is that we should make certain the men are prepared for battle. Tomorrow could be a very busy day.”

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 1014
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 7/16/2007 4:50:42 AM   
FeurerKrieg

Upper portion used with permission of www.subart.net, copyright John Meeks

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 1015
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 7/16/2007 5:11:11 AM   
Redd

Anxiously awaiting the outcome as well !

(in reply to FeurerKrieg)
Post #: 1016
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 7/16/2007 5:25:37 AM   
Kiith

Things are hotting up, I hope fortune favours the Hibiki and her crew in the coming days. 

(in reply to Redd)
Post #: 1017
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 7/17/2007 3:10:19 AM   
Cuttlefish

January 23, 1943

Course: Southeast
Fuel: 337

---

As dawn breaks it is already hot and humid on the island of Timor. The recent heavy cloud cover has fragmented and rain squalls and patches of sunlight chase each other across the Banda Sea north of the island and the Timor Sea to the south. Already Japanese planes are in the air. Scout planes from the carriers sweep the waters around the island, while H8K flying boats and G4M bombers range far to the south and east.

Aboard Hibiki the men wait tensely. Captain Ishii alternates between the radio room and the bridge, listening to the reports coming from the search planes. The destroyer is not yet at combat stations, but the crew is keyed up and ready for action.

As the sun climbs into the sky report after report comes in negative. It takes some time, but as the hours go by there can be no doubt. From Timor to the coast of Australia the ocean is empty of enemy ships. The Allies have retreated, leaving the waters around Timor to the Japanese.

---

The town of Baun in southwest Timor is several miles from the coast, but from the ridgeline south of town Lieutenant Colonel Richard Marson, commander of the 2/25 Battalion of the Australian 7th Infantry Division, can see over the rugged terrain southward to the landing beaches and the sea beyond. It is a striking sight precisely because there is nothing there. There are no friendly ships anywhere in view.

The brigade had secured Baun two days ago, but since then progress along the road north to Koepang had been thwarted by Japanese forces on the steep ridge north of town, nameless on the maps but already named Snakeback Ridge by the Australians. Another attack had been called for today, but yesterday brought a change of orders: conserve ammunition and dig in. Marson’s men are digging in right now, harassed by desultory Japanese artillery fire. The Americans to the east apparently have the same orders.

Marson lowers his binoculars and climbs painfully back into the jeep that brought him here. He took a rifle bullet through the right side of his chest on the second day of the battle, and while it missed the lung it hurts like the devil when he does something vigorous such as try and move. But he wanted to see the landing beaches for himself. There is something about seeing that you are now cut off that makes it somehow more real than just hearing that it is so.

As his driver starts the jeep and drives down the ridge back to town and the command post there Marson tells himself that the situation is all right. They have enough supplies for the moment, and while the navy boys might have turned tail at the approach of the big bad Jap ships he and his troops are made of tougher stuff. They have taken several miles of territory at the cost of a lot of sweat and blood, and any Jap who wants to come and take it back can just give it a try.

Besides, there is nowhere else to go.

---

“Haven’t we been here before?” complains Lieutenant Sugiyura. “At Wake, and at Nanomea? We dash someplace to thwart the enemy attack, only to find they have slipped away just before we arrive.” He bangs his fist down on the table in the officer’s wardroom aboard Hibiki in frustration.

“They didn’t quite get away in time at Wake,” points out Lieutenant Miharu.

“No, and that was fun,” says Sugiyura, grinning at the memory. Then he grows serious again. “But those were merchant ships and escorts. The carriers and the battleships, the big targets, continue to elude us.”

“There is a difference this time,” points out Captain Ishii, who has listened patiently to the outburst. “At Wake and Nanomea the enemy quickly overran the garrisons. This time their attack has failed.”

“That is all well and good, sir,” says Sugiyura, “as long as we act quickly enough to do something about it. If we just steam around here waiting for the enemy to come back we have lost the initiative again and will probably just waste time until he attacks someplace else.”

“I don’t know,” says Ishii. “Patience, Sugiyura. These decisions are not under our control. I am sure that Imperial Headquarters is as aware of these things as we are, and no doubt they have something in mind.”

---

The transports are already in place, and with the confirmation that the waters around Timor are once again under Japanese control the orders are issued. At Soerabaja, at Singapore, and even at Hong Kong Japanese infantry divisions begin boarding their ships. Their staffs already have maps and planning for the upcoming operation is underway.

General Yamashita, the “Tiger of Malaya”, is given overall command. His orders: destroy the enemy divisions on Timor. There can be no failure, no turning back. The Allies cannot be permitted to succeed in opening a gateway to the resources that Japan has risked so much to obtain.

< Message edited by Cuttlefish -- 8/7/2007 2:05:07 AM >

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 1018
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 7/17/2007 6:09:42 AM   
Capt. Harlock

quote:

Sakati would like to claim that the lack of trouble has been due to his skill and diligence, but he suspects there is more to it than that. One would not think there was a lot of luck involved with machinery, he muses, but perhaps there engine spirits just as there are spirits associated with things in the natural world. At least it seems to him sometimes that whether engines hold up well or not is due to some capricious will, or perhaps just a toss of some strange kind of dice.

I was thinking it was unusual to cross so much distance, and especially in the teeth of bad weather, and have no increase in system damage.

Looks like the Japanese anticipated the place of the first major Allied counterattack well. I'm an Allied fanboy, but I can't help but root for the gallant crew of the Hibiki!

Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 1019
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 7/19/2007 1:01:00 AM   
Cuttlefish

January 24, 1943

Course: Holding position
Fuel: 306

---

Ensign Izu is standing on the starboard observation wing, scanning the green and rugged coast of Sulawesi’s South Peninsula through his binoculars. Ozawa’s task force is currently cruising near the entrance to Bone Bay, the body of water between the island’s south and southeast peninsulas. The Japanese carriers are standing off Sulawesi, as the young officer understands it, in order to remain out of sight of the enemy but close enough to Timor to dash in and attack should the need arise.

Izu regrets that they are too far offshore for him to be able to see any birds. He has heard that Sulawesi has a great many unique species, and he would like to see some of them and perhaps even make some sketches. But that will have to wait for some other day, he knows. The war is far too close right now to permit such frivolous pursuits.

The young ensign turns the binoculars away from Sulawesi and its birds and goes back to scanning sea and sky. His thoughts today are confused. He had braced himself for an ordeal yesterday, fully expecting that the fleet would come under air attack. The nightmares he had following the last time the ship was attacked have largely stopped, but deep down Izu still has doubts about how he will perform under fire again. He had keyed himself up for a battle yesterday, but of course no battle developed. Izu finds himself torn between relief over this fact and dismay that he will have to go through the process of waiting again.

He is no longer convinced he is a coward, and he does not think he will lose his nerve when things get hot. But a small whisper of doubt still remains. He needs to know he will not freeze in place when he sees the planes coming in and hears the whistle of the descending bombs. He needs to know that he will not fail the ship, his captain, and his crewmates.

Izu lowers the binoculars and sighs. It will be another day, then, perhaps a day soon. When the Japanese troop ships begin to arrive the enemy will have to either return to the attack or consign the soldiers they left behind to a grim fate. Until it happens, though, Izu knows he will be left to wonder, and doubt, and wait.

In the meanwhile there is no excuse for neglecting his duties. He raises the binoculars again and scans the ocean, looking for signs of the enemy.

---

Situation on Timor, Jan. 24 1943:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 1020
Page:   <<   < prev  32 33 [34] 35 36   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> RE: Small Ship, Big War Page: <<   < prev  32 33 [34] 35 36   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI