Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Windows 2000/XP Users ONLY

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Tech Support >> Windows 2000/XP Users ONLY Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Windows 2000/XP Users ONLY - 3/6/2005 7:18:57 PM   
Mr.Frag

In looking into Roger's problems, it finally dawned on me what might be the cause of a lot of peoples patching problems, saving game, etc.

Windows over the years has tightened up the default file permissions on C:\

Matrix installs their games to C:\Matrix Games\<game name>

This will inherit the permissions from C:\

If these are set too restrictive (in a lot of cases they will be) then future attempts to overwrite files will certainly fail.

This will result in failures of patches, failures creating save files, etc.

< Message edited by Mr.Frag -- 3/6/2005 12:19:00 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Windows 2000/XP Users ONLY - 3/6/2005 7:59:47 PM   
Roger Neilson

A HUGE thank you to MR Frag and his magic mouse! I was in despair that my favourite game may be unplayable and along he came and sorted it for me!

Such effort and timely intervention cannot be praised enough.

Thanks again.

Roger

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 2
RE: Windows 2000/XP Users ONLY - 3/6/2005 8:11:56 PM   
Mr.Frag

Going to be seeing a lot more of this as Microsoft continues to tighten up security settings with each new security patch.

Much as people probably don't want to hear it, you are going to have to learn some "How To" stuff for taking care of your computer's operating system.

One of the uglys that can come and bite you is this wonderful logic of Microsoft permissions:

Moving a file transfers file permissions with it. Copying a file adopts the permissions of the location the file was copied to.

Try and sort that one out in your head.

ie: If you get an attachment in your email and save it on your desktop then *move* it into your save directory, it will have the file permissions of your desktop. If you had saved it directly to your save directory, it would inherit the permissions from the save folder itself.

This applies to any version of windows that uses the NTFS file system instead of the old FAT system.

(in reply to Roger Neilson)
Post #: 3
RE: Windows 2000/XP Users ONLY - 3/6/2005 8:16:06 PM   
Titanwarrior89

"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 4
RE: Windows 2000/XP Users ONLY - 3/6/2005 9:31:27 PM   
bradfordkay

I play WITP on both W98SE and XPHome edition (desktop/laptop). I use a 128MB USB chip to transfer the files between the two, but transfer them directly into the WITP save folders without any interim locations. This has caused no problems so far.

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to Titanwarrior89)
Post #: 5
RE: Windows 2000/XP Users ONLY - 3/7/2005 12:48:03 AM   
rogueusmc

I run Win2000 with Outlook Express(I have a dedicated e-mail address for game turns and it is using Outlook Express)

The last time I had a file save as 'read only' was when I tried saving the file from the preview pane in Outlook. If I opened the email in it's own window and use the 'save as', it doesn't save as 'read only'.

If ya ever get it 'read only', ya have to delete the file in the file system and resave. If ya try to overwrite, it will still be 'read only'.

There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion.

Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 6
RE: Windows 2000/XP Users ONLY - 3/7/2005 2:18:16 AM   
scout1

I've transfered files between W2000 & XP. I'verun into the change to read only files. Just got into the practice of checking the files afterwards ....

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 7
RE: Windows 2000/XP Users ONLY - 3/14/2005 9:42:40 PM   
pad152

If what your saying is to copy a patch/mod.etc to the \matrix\witp directory before installing, then this is a good ideal, but does not fully explain the save game crash.

The saved game crash only began to happen after the release of 1.4x, with or without Service Pack II installed on XP. The save game crash never seems to happen if you wait several seconds before exiting the save game screen, waiting will not change or effect file permissions. The cursor changes back to normal before the list of saved files is updated when you have a large number of saved files.

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 8
RE: Windows 2000/XP Users ONLY - 3/15/2005 5:01:59 AM   
Cmdrcain

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr.Frag

In looking into Roger's problems, it finally dawned on me what might be the cause of a lot of peoples patching problems, saving game, etc.

Windows over the years has tightened up the default file permissions on C:\

Matrix installs their games to C:\Matrix Games\<game name>

This will inherit the permissions from C:\

If these are set too restrictive (in a lot of cases they will be) then future attempts to overwrite files will certainly fail.

This will result in failures of patches, failures creating save files, etc.

Yes I've noted that, I have an admin acct and a limited acct, when I use limited I had failuires in trying to save over a previous save that I created with the admin acct, the game runs under both but the limited acct cannot save or over write previous saves unless that account did the save itself.

I've always patched while in my admin acct so haven't had a patch problem, any acct with admin rights shouldn't have a problem
with any c:\ restrictions, it would be problemic if
trying under a limited rights acct.

Noise? What Noise? It's sooooo quiet and Peaceful!

Battlestar Pegasus

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 9
RE: Windows 2000/XP Users ONLY - 3/15/2005 5:05:49 AM   
Cmdrcain

quote:

ORIGINAL: rogueusmc

I run Win2000 with Outlook Express(I have a dedicated e-mail address for game turns and it is using Outlook Express)

The last time I had a file save as 'read only' was when I tried saving the file from the preview pane in Outlook. If I opened the email in it's own window and use the 'save as', it doesn't save as 'read only'.

If ya ever get it 'read only', ya have to delete the file in the file system and resave. If ya try to overwrite, it will still be 'read only'.

You should be able to under admin acct go into the files properties and change it from read-only however.

Noise? What Noise? It's sooooo quiet and Peaceful!

Battlestar Pegasus

(in reply to rogueusmc)
Post #: 10
RE: Windows 2000/XP Users ONLY - 3/15/2005 3:36:17 PM   
Mr.Frag

quote:

You should be able to under admin acct go into the files properties and change it from read-only however.

Not that simple. If you look at the permissions, you will see they are inherited from C:\

Each time a new file is created, it will pick up the permissions once again.

The correct way to deal with it is to break the inheritance, not just a quick one shot toggling of the read only.

(in reply to Cmdrcain)
Post #: 11
RE: Windows 2000/XP Users ONLY - 4/23/2005 11:17:19 AM   
Brausepaul

quote:

Moving a file transfers file permissions with it. Copying a file adopts the permissions of the location the file was copied to.

Try and sort that one out in your head. ...

Btw, this is very logical behaviour: If you move a file to a different location there is no need to change permission settings for this specific file. The user will probaly do the same things with the file as before, just at a different place. But there is (or should be) usually a reason to create a copy somewhere else, especially WHY you want to have a copy at a specific place. That's why the copy (by default) inherits the destination's security settings. I agree that most user's don't think about reasons or security settings, but that is this time not Microsofts's fault

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 12
RE: Windows 2000/XP Users ONLY - 5/1/2005 5:37:56 PM   
Captain Ed

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brausepaul

quote:

Try and sort that one out in your head. ...

Btw, this is very logical behaviour: If you move a file to a different location there is no need to change permission settings for this specific file. The user will probaly do the same things with the file as before, just at a different place. But there is (or should be) usually a reason to create a copy somewhere else, especially WHY you want to have a copy at a specific place. That's why the copy (by default) inherits the destination's security settings. I agree that most user's don't think about reasons or security settings, but that is this time not Microsofts's fault

I use 2 computers one I have hooked to the Internet and I receive my Pbem files with it.
I then burn the file to a disk manually move it to my gaming computer which has more horsepower and is not hooked to the net has no background programs running so it is much faster at executing the game however they have different versions of Win XP one is home user one is pro am I setting myself up for a problem.

THE FIRST DAY OF YOUR DIET IS THE HARDEST
THE SECOND DAY IS EASY CAUSE YOU QUIT

(in reply to Brausepaul)
Post #: 13
RE: Windows 2000/XP Users ONLY - 5/1/2005 7:40:37 PM   
Mr.Frag

quote:

running so it is much faster at executing the game however they have different versions of Win XP one is home user one is pro am I setting myself up for a problem.

Not as long as you don't play musical users

(in reply to Captain Ed)
Post #: 14
RE: Windows 2000/XP Users ONLY - 6/14/2005 7:17:32 AM   
madgamer2

I have changed the way I download patchs after using XP pro. I put a folder in each game folder called"Patchs". I down load the patch directly into the folder.
If it is ZIP then I unzip it into the WIP folder itself. This type of stuff from mother Microsoft is now as you say has changed the way I deal with files. It makes me long for the good old days of FAT..ah well "the more things change the more they stay the same" I think some french dude said that. thanks for the info.
Madgamer

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 15
RE: Windows 2000/XP Users ONLY - 7/5/2005 11:02:58 PM   
niceguy2005

Is there a way to run the game in the backgorund of Windows (XP) so that I may do other things while waiting for the computer to resolve the turn?

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 16
RE: Windows 2000/XP Users ONLY - 7/6/2005 4:20:40 PM   
Mr.Frag

quote:

Is there a way to run the game in the backgorund of Windows (XP) so that I may do other things while waiting for the computer to resolve the turn?

If you run windowed, it is a little more forgiving, but it is still going to peg your machine at full out while the turn runs.

(in reply to niceguy2005)
Post #: 17
RE: Windows 2000/XP Users ONLY - 1/4/2006 10:48:35 PM   
herwin

I'm playing WiTP 1.6 on my high-end Mac using VPC (yes, I know, but it runs Windows XP at about 500 MHz equivalent,
and it has high quality components), and it's stalling during turn one of the first year campaign at the point that ship
crews are trained. The CPU appears to be about 75% for a sustained period. WTFO?

Harry Erwin
"For a number to make sense in the game, someone has to calibrate it and program code. There are too many significant numbers that behave non-linearly to expect that. It's just a game. Enjoy it." herwin@btinternet.com

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 18
RE: Windows 2000/XP Users ONLY - 1/5/2006 12:21:48 AM   
Mr.Frag

quote:

I'm playing WiTP 1.6 on my high-end Mac using VPC (yes, I know, but it runs Windows XP at about 500 MHz equivalent,
and it has high quality components), and it's stalling during turn one of the first year campaign at the point that ship
crews are trained. The CPU appears to be about 75% for a sustained period. WTFO?

Thats normal ... the ship training routines do serious number crunching. Takes quite a while

(in reply to herwin)
Post #: 19
RE: Windows 2000/XP Users ONLY - 1/7/2006 10:03:35 AM   
herwin

Thanks, that turned out to be the case.

Harry Erwin
"For a number to make sense in the game, someone has to calibrate it and program code. There are too many significant numbers that behave non-linearly to expect that. It's just a game. Enjoy it." herwin@btinternet.com

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 20
RE: Windows 2000/XP Users ONLY - 7/23/2007 4:06:40 PM   
sub jockey

Hey guys,

I got a question for you, maybe someone can help me.

1.) I have a ACER laptop, Microsoft Vista OS, AMD Turion (2.0 GHz, 512KB L2 cache, 14.1" WXGA CrystalBrite LCD, Up to 256MB ATI Xpress 1100 HyperMemory, 80GB HDD, DVD-Super double layer (support DVD+R/ DVD+RW, 1GB DDR2 memory, 802.11 b/g wireless LAN.

2.) I was thinking about getting WITP to play. Well this game play on this laptop?

3.) The add only said for XP on down, an so on.

Thank you for your time,
Sub Jockey

(in reply to herwin)
Post #: 21
RE: Windows 2000/XP Users ONLY - 7/23/2007 4:32:01 PM   
jwilkerson

If you're asking will WITP run on VISTA - answer seems to be yes - a number of people have reported success - a few have had VISTA "security related" issues - but other than that no problems reported.

AE Project Lead
New Game Project Lead

(in reply to sub jockey)
Post #: 22
RE: Windows 2000/XP Users ONLY - 8/20/2007 6:23:30 PM   
TenChiMato

quote:

ORIGINAL: jwilkerson

If you're asking will WITP run on VISTA - answer seems to be yes - a number of people have reported success - a few have had VISTA "security related" issues - but other than that no problems reported.

Actually I tried installing from the CD last weekend on my new computer with Vista (EU version) and this failed badly due to errors during decompression. All the data/pics/scen files were missing though all the execs were there and I could start the game. OK I can bypass this pb by copying the missing files from the version I installed on my laptop which still run under XP but still... any clue?

(in reply to jwilkerson)
Post #: 23
RE: Windows 2000/XP Users ONLY - 8/20/2007 9:25:38 PM   
rtrapasso

The big problem with VISTA so far seems to be not wanting to install the program where YOU might want it to go... most people have to resort to installing it into the root directory, ie., C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific\

you will have difficulty putting it anywhere else.

So, if you DID try to place it somewhere else, i can see where you might not have had all the files install.

(in reply to TenChiMato)
Post #: 24
RE: Windows 2000/XP Users ONLY - 10/7/2007 12:22:12 AM   
est1895

Hello. I just got the game today! I love it! But if I have the sound on, a loud sqeeling sound happens and the system locks up. I have the 1.806 version patch installed. I am also running and P4 2.8gh with HT and a sound Audigy 2 ZS card.

Please help!

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 25
RE: Windows 2000/XP Users ONLY - 10/7/2007 3:05:51 AM   
rtrapasso

quote:

ORIGINAL: est1895

Hello. I just got the game today! I love it! But if I have the sound on, a loud sqeeling sound happens and the system locks up. I have the 1.806 version patch installed. I am also running and P4 2.8gh with HT and a sound Audigy 2 ZS card.

Please help!

Need some more info... what version windows are you using?

Hopefully you did the COMPREHENSIVE 1.804 patch (first), then the 1.806 patch - otherwise you are going to have big problems.

A lot of sound problems can be fixed renaming the "sound" folder to something like "nosound"...

(in reply to est1895)
Post #: 26
RE: Windows 2000/XP Users ONLY - 10/7/2007 4:24:49 AM   
est1895

Hello. I'm using Windows XP Home. And yes I put the 1.804 then 1.806 patches in that order.

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 27
RE: Windows 2000/XP Users ONLY - 10/7/2007 2:17:48 PM   
rtrapasso

quote:

Hello. I'm using Windows XP Home. And yes I put the 1.804 then 1.806 patches in that order.

ok - try the file rename trick then.

(in reply to est1895)
Post #: 28
RE: Windows 2000/XP Users ONLY - 10/7/2007 6:41:15 PM   
ChezDaJez

quote:

Please help!

This might be related to your Audigy card. I had a similar problem when I first bought WitP a couple of years ago. Swapped in an old Soundblaster card and problem solved. My system is also a P4 2.8 w/ HT.

If you can, swap out your card. I'm willing to bet your problem will be solved.

Chez

Ret Navy AWCS (1972-1998)
VP-5, Jacksonville, Fl 1973-78
ASW Ops Center, Rota, Spain 1978-81
VP-40, Mt View, Ca 1981-87
Patrol Wing 10, Mt View, CA 1987-90
ASW Ops Center, Adak, Ak 1990-92
NRD Seattle 1992-96
VP-46, Whidbey Isl, Wa 1996-98

(in reply to est1895)
Post #: 29
RE: Windows 2000/XP Users ONLY - 10/8/2007 12:37:38 AM   
est1895

Thanks guys. Renaming did not work. No sound at all, but the game did work! I also had this trouble with another game called." Space Empires V" If I get a new sound card thats better than what I'mve got, could that solve the problem?.

(in reply to ChezDaJez)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Tech Support >> Windows 2000/XP Users ONLY Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI