Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

OOB/TO&E?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> Guns of August 1914 - 1918 >> OOB/TO&E? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
OOB/TO&E? - 7/23/2007 5:59:18 AM   
Jarhead0331

Anywhere I can see the OOB and/or TO&E that will be included in the game...preferably broken down by nationality with a listing of historical units.

Yes, I'm looking for the Marines that participated in Belleau Wood!

de.ci.sive.ness\ n. 1. Ability to make decisions promptly and to announce them in clear, forceful manner. 2. See United States Marine.
Post #: 1
RE: OOB/TO&E? - 7/23/2007 6:43:39 AM   
SMK-at-work

I'm pretty sure all US units are essentialy the same as each other - I didnt' get as far as using the US more than once or twice - I should probably fire up the last beta and have a look at the 1918 scenario but I think it might have expired...

(in reply to Jarhead0331)
Post #: 2
RE: OOB/TO&E? - 7/23/2007 6:56:16 AM   
sol_invictus

I am guessing that the Marines will be lost in the Corps sized units. Which reminds me; in the boardgame GOA, USA units were Divisional sized, since the US had such large units. Are the USA units Divisions in the upcoming game? In any case, I don't think there will be an American unit counter with Marines listed on it.

"The fruit of too much liberty is slavery", Cicero

(in reply to SMK-at-work)
Post #: 3
RE: OOB/TO&E? - 7/23/2007 1:28:21 PM   
Jarhead0331

de.ci.sive.ness\ n. 1. Ability to make decisions promptly and to announce them in clear, forceful manner. 2. See United States Marine.

(in reply to sol_invictus)
Post #: 4
RE: OOB/TO&E? - 7/23/2007 4:36:20 PM   
sol_invictus

Sorry Jarhead, but I am afraid the Marines will get lost in the shuffle of the hordes of Army recruits that swarm into France. I believe that the Marines were incorporated into the 1st Division, so just keep track of that and there you will find your beloved Marines. I'm not sure which Corps the 1st Division was in, but if American units are Corps sized, keep track of that Corps. I'm guessing the 1st Corps, but I imagine that you know for sure. I think the Marine Corps only amounted to 8-10 thousand members at war start, which would only amount to approximately a third of a US Division. Not sure how much it expanded during the war.

(in reply to Jarhead0331)
Post #: 5
RE: OOB/TO&E? - 7/24/2007 1:38:15 AM   
SMK-at-work

I have a vague memory that US "corps" are huge - 32 pts, reflecting the larger unit size.

Post #: 6
RE: OOB/TO&E? - 7/24/2007 5:02:11 AM   
Dirtdog20

quote:

ORIGINAL: Arinvald

Sorry Jarhead, but I am afraid the Marines will get lost in the shuffle of the hordes of Army recruits that swarm into France. I believe that the Marines were incorporated into the 1st Division, so just keep track of that and there you will find your beloved Marines. I'm not sure which Corps the 1st Division was in, but if American units are Corps sized, keep track of that Corps. I'm guessing the 1st Corps, but I imagine that you know for sure. I think the Marine Corps only amounted to 8-10 thousand members at war start, which would only amount to approximately a third of a US Division. Not sure how much it expanded during the war.

The Marines made up half of the Second Division of Infantry. Which at the end of the war was commanded by Major General J. Lejune USMC. (The Army is still po'ed about that.) The 5th and 6th Marine Infantry Regiments along with Machine Gun Bn. numbered the same made up the Marine compliment of the division.

Just a hint, look at the 5th Marines at Mont Blanc. 90% Casualties and had to wait two days for the Army and French to catch up with them. John Thompson, Cpt. USMC wrote an excellent book by the title "Fix Bayonets" about his experiences in the war. It can be found relatively easy still and is well worth the price and time to get a copy.

You mean that we gotta take a test after we read this stuff?!?

Post #: 7
RE: OOB/TO&E? - 7/24/2007 5:11:30 AM   
Erik Rutins

I'd also recommend "Devil Dogs" for a good account of the Marines in WWI:

http://www.amazon.com/Devil-Dogs-Fighting-Marines-World/dp/0891416536/ref=sr_1_2/105-9833551-7205233?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1185242962&sr=1-2

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Dirtdog20)
Post #: 8
RE: OOB/TO&E? - 7/24/2007 6:12:05 AM   
sol_invictus

Hey Dirtdog, what Corps was the 2nd Division in? That will be the one that Jarhead needs to keep track of.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 9
RE: OOB/TO&E? - 7/24/2007 8:23:51 AM   
Dirtdog20

I an going to assume that the game will call it 1st Corps. Although until mid 18 there was just the AEF.

Also "Suddenly We Didn't Want To Die" is another excellent read. Now if only someone could get the rights and re-publish "So Far From God". Vanderbilt University has a copy in the rare book section. I cant get near it though.

You mean that we gotta take a test after we read this stuff?!?

Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> Guns of August 1914 - 1918 >> OOB/TO&E? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI