Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

How do you increase screen res for it ?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> Guns of August 1914 - 1918 >> How do you increase screen res for it ? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
How do you increase screen res for it ? - 7/24/2007 2:57:14 AM   
Pandemic

Am i being dumb or are higher screen resoultions not supported ? i.e. anything above 1024x768 gets a bit small

< Message edited by Pandemic -- 7/24/2007 3:00:23 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: How do you increase screen res for it ? - 7/24/2007 3:01:02 AM   
wworld7

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pandemic

Am i being dumb or are higher screen resoultions not supported ? i.e. anything above 1024x768 gets a bit small

Look in the manual, or perhaps designer notes.

Flipper

(in reply to Pandemic)
Post #: 2
RE: How do you increase screen res for it ? - 7/24/2007 3:09:30 AM   
Pandemic

nothing obvious as yet just seems odd it started so small a minaturised window on my 24 " or whatever it is

(in reply to wworld7)
Post #: 3
RE: How do you increase screen res for it ? - 7/24/2007 3:11:02 AM   
tgb

1024x768 is about all these old eyes of mine can handle

(in reply to Pandemic)
Post #: 4
RE: How do you increase screen res for it ? - 7/24/2007 3:26:12 AM   
Pandemic

ok the manual says it runs in a res of 1024 x 768 please select compatible res when game starts - i have not been given any alternative res options? manaul indicates there should be a way to do this but isnt ?

(in reply to Pandemic)
Post #: 5
RE: How do you increase screen res for it ? - 7/24/2007 3:29:32 AM   
Pandemic

defect i think ?

(in reply to Pandemic)
Post #: 6
RE: How do you increase screen res for it ? - 7/24/2007 3:38:40 AM   
SMK-at-work

there was no way to do it in the BETA's - it only had 1 res.

(in reply to Pandemic)
Post #: 7
RE: How do you increase screen res for it ? - 7/24/2007 3:40:04 AM   
Bossy573

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pandemic

defect i think ?

Maybe. I ran it on a Dell 2001FP (1600x1200) first. It wouldn't go full screen. I changed the res to 1024x768 on the monitor but it doesn't fit the screen right. I'll have to tinker.

(in reply to Pandemic)
Post #: 8
RE: How do you increase screen res for it ? - 7/24/2007 6:46:03 AM   
Berkut

Man, I sure hope this is something I have just missed how to change.

Playing in a tiny window is not really an option, and LCDs don't really like to change resolution.

(in reply to Pandemic)
Post #: 9
RE: How do you increase screen res for it ? - 7/24/2007 5:33:30 PM   
Ichirou989

From what I've been reading, you can't.  There is only the one res for the game.  Pity also as it's likely going to dissuade some folks with widescreen monitors from wanting to buy the game...or being unhappy if they do.

A real leader faces the music, even when he doesn't like the tune.

(in reply to Berkut)
Post #: 10
RE: How do you increase screen res for it ? - 7/24/2007 6:06:38 PM   
JD Walter

Unfortunately, according to previous postings by Matrix, the resolution is apparently fixed at 1024 x 768:

GoA Screenshots

< Message edited by Def Zep -- 7/24/2007 6:42:22 PM >

(in reply to Pandemic)
Post #: 11
RE: How do you increase screen res for it ? - 7/24/2007 6:14:58 PM   
Aurelian

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ichirou989

From what I've been reading, you can't.  There is only the one res for the game.  Pity also as it's likely going to dissuade some folks with widescreen monitors from wanting to buy the game...or being unhappy if they do.

I have a 32" widescreen and have no trouble seeing it.

(in reply to Ichirou989)
Post #: 12
RE: How do you increase screen res for it ? - 7/24/2007 6:25:50 PM   
Berkut

quote:

ORIGINAL: Aurelian

quote:

From what I've been reading, you can't. There is only the one res for the game. Pity also as it's likely going to dissuade some folks with widescreen monitors from wanting to buy the game...or being unhappy if they do.

I have a 32" widescreen and have no trouble seeing it.

I don't think anyone has trouble seeing it.

I can see it just fine.

(in reply to Aurelian)
Post #: 13
RE: How do you increase screen res for it ? - 7/24/2007 6:49:46 PM   
Owen

I really think that Windows has been the desktop standard for long enough now that game developers should design their games in such a way that they conform to Windows standards. It's not really hard. Look at TOAW, it's been around for ages and can be played at any resolution.

But Norm Koger is a great developer partly because he is always willing to learn new things and keep up with the times. In contrast, a game like Guns of August feels like the developer is still working with the same tools he used a decade ago when he programmed for dos.

I won't even consider buying any game that only runs at one or two fixed resolutions.

(in reply to Pandemic)
Post #: 14
RE: How do you increase screen res for it ? - 7/24/2007 6:55:30 PM   
Berkut

quote:

ORIGINAL: Owen

I really think that Windows has been the desktop standard for long enough now that game developers should design their games in such a way that they conform to Windows standards. It's not really hard. Look at TOAW, it's been around for ages and can be played at any resolution.

But Norm Koger is a great developer partly because he is always willing to learn new things and keep up with the times. In contrast, a game like Guns of August feels like the developer is still working with the same tools he used a decade ago when he programmed for dos.

I won't even consider buying any game that only runs at one or two fixed resolutions.

Well, IMO, that is taking it too far.

You are going to miss out on some potentially very good games.

But I certainly understand your position, and I know there are plenty of people out there who feel the same way.

Which is what bothers me about this kind of stuff. I think there are more people than we think that could be part of this kind of market, but the stigma of wargames is one of impenetrable interfaces and poor design. Often this is even embraced by the grognards who think that crap interface is the same thing as design complexity. It isn't.

(in reply to Owen)
Post #: 15
RE: How do you increase screen res for it ? - 7/24/2007 7:13:05 PM   
Erik Rutins

I personally agree that games should be perfectly scalable, flexible, etc. but that's coming at it purely from a personal/customer standpoint. On the development side, there are multiple other considerations. First, for a game like GOA the resolutions being requested didn't even exist when this game entered development.

For a single developer especially and even for a small team, that's a decision that has to be made when game development starts. Back-fitting is rarely ever an option for stuff like this. As a result, this is really not an "issue" that can be fixed, but rather something that would have prevented GOA from ever seeing the light of day without a rewrite, however long that might have taken. As another example, Forge of Freedom runs at 1024x768 fullscreen because at the time development began on the engine (starting with COG) the non-fullscreen scalable windowed mode could not provide acceptable performance. Therefore the choice there was again either develop the game at a fixed fullscreen resolution or don't develop it at all.

As new development starts, developers generally use the tools available to them and look to support the standards of that time. With smaller independent developers, it's rarely possible or feasible to update an engine multiple times during development just to add more resolution support or a different view mode. Ultimately, 2D map-based wargames are not purely for eye candy, but we're encouraging all new development to focus on supporting flexible resolutions, etc. (which several of our games released in the last year and some even earlier, do quite well).

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Berkut)
Post #: 16
RE: How do you increase screen res for it ? - 7/24/2007 7:21:02 PM   
USSLockwood

It's odd that the intro screen fits the screen, but the game itself starts in a window.

Dave
San Diego
Home of the World's Busiest Radar Approach Control

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 17
RE: How do you increase screen res for it ? - 7/24/2007 8:22:54 PM   
JudgeDredd

Presumably because the intro screen is using different controls than the programming language used for the game.

As Erik said, when this game came into development, 1024x768 was the max general resolution. Changing the interface is not a simple task..especially if the used language cannot "scale". Therefore a new language would have to be used, and with that, the learning curve required to get all the functionality under your belt AND recode the many thousands (millions?) of lines of code!

I don't think you understand the task as it would stand. You're comment is fair, but you really need to see it from the programmers side before you go shouting about crap resolutions.

Alba gu' brath

(in reply to USSLockwood)
Post #: 18
RE: How do you increase screen res for it ? - 7/24/2007 8:38:46 PM   
Berkut

I am a software engineer by trade.

Resolution is not a function of the language used. You do not need to learn a new language in order to use differing resolutions.

That doesn't mean it is easy to change of course, but it isn't a issue of learning a new programming language.

I think (and not being a graphics designer I don't really know) that the issue is that you need to create new images for each resolution. I think....

In any case, my comments are related to my impressions of the usability and consumer experience - the issues of the developer/publisher does not impact that - the game isn't any more enjoyable because I know that the developer didn't have the option of making it scale.

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 19
RE: How do you increase screen res for it ? - 7/24/2007 11:40:29 PM   
Ichirou989

Well, since I already made an observation here, and was even quoted (!), I guess I better wade fully in and give my 200 cents worth.  Let me start by saying I am a wargamer from long ago, back when SPI was in business, TSR made wargames...and was also in business for that matter, and Avalon Hill was king.  I am most certainly one of those referred to by the term 'grognard'.  From this perspective, I could care less if the interface is cludgy, or the screen won't scale...I want content!  And knowing Frank Hunter's previous Civil War endeavor, I know I won't be let down.  The meat of the game is the thing, and considering some of the crude components to both board and computer wargames that I've put up with in the past, a rough edged interface is the last thing I'll be worrying about.

Now that I've been clear on that point, let me move on and put on my other gamer personna...the one associated with such strange acronyms as FPS, RTS, and MMRPG.  With that crowd, presentation is very important, and in some cases crucial.  And the main thing is that these folks are really difficult to get to try out a new game unless it looks slick and is easy to use, otherwise they can't be bothered.  'Man...that thing your playing looks old, you say that's a new game?  Looks boring...'  And so it goes...trying to get non-wargamers to even look at a wargame, board or computer, has always been on the difficult side of things.  Unless of course it looks slick, and doesn't require a bunch of reading to learn how to play.  Pretty and intuitive, that's the ticket.

So when and where will the twain meet?  That's the thrust of what Berkut's been saying right from the start, and being a person who has battled long and hard to bring new players into the hobby and also knowing what they seem to want to see, I do agree.  So long as things like interface, screen resolutions and other such issues are dated and difficult to grasp easily, it will be difficult to expand and broaden the genre.  The issue also isn't what wargamers like myself or others here will put up with, but what other folks who might be interested will be put off by.  And while it might sound like a superficial agruement when, after all, 'the game's the thing!', it is still this sort of thing that will get new people to look at these games and give them the attention they deserve, like this game.

All that said, there is one last point I'd like to make, and that is it does seem rather unfair to bring all this up on this particular title however...I would have preferred that this came up in a more general discussion forum without naming names.  Not that it should somehow be exempt from these arguments, but more because it really was a one man labor of love on the part of Mr. Hunter to make this game.  I can forgive him an interface that will take some getting used to, or an issue with a single res screen, because he concentrated on what he felt was the most important thing and that was the game itself.  In short, he sang to my wargamer's heart, not that other guy, and being a wargamer first I'm smiling.    And for that, I give you many thanks.  But I do think, very strongly, that future designs and designers should take note of these arguments and concerns.  You may want to consider it just fluff, but it's fluff that not just helps sell the games, but helps sell them to newcomers.  And it's clearly not just me who thinks so...look at how the majority of the review sites always have rating catagories for graphics, presentation, etc.  And so coming from a long time champion of expanding our hobby, I think these are valid points and honestly should be considered as important as the game itself if we as a whole wish to continue in that Holy Grail quest of expanding the wargaming community.

A real leader faces the music, even when he doesn't like the tune.

(in reply to Berkut)
Post #: 20
RE: How do you increase screen res for it ? - 7/25/2007 12:21:52 AM   
TheWombat_matrixforum

Nicely put, though for me (also a long time wargamer) I can no longer separate my wargamer/regular gamer halves. I've owned PCs since 1983, and while I rarely if ever have "state of the art" gear I do play a wide variety of games and expect a certain minimum standard of production for any genre. These days, I can no longer get much enjoyment out of games that simply don't measure up in interface, graphics, or other basic ways, regardless of how nifty they are otherwise.

Just a personal prejudice I suppose, but really, there's no way a developer (however admirable he/she/it may be) is going to get my money if they can't deliver a product that at least meets some basic standards for 21st century code--like Windows-standard resolutions, for example. If that means I don't get games from small one-man shops, so be it. I don't have the time or money to spend on all the games out there anyhow, so this simply makes it easier to filter what I do buy I guess.

Too bad, because I'm a huge WWI fan.

quote:

Well, since I already made an observation here, and was even quoted (!), I guess I better wade fully in and give my 200 cents worth.  Let me start by saying I am a wargamer from long ago, back when SPI was in business, TSR made wargames...and was also in business for that matter, and Avalon Hill was king.  I am most certainly one of those referred to by the term 'grognard'.  From this perspective, I could care less if the interface is cludgy, or the screen won't scale...I want content!  And knowing Frank Hunter's previous Civil War endeavor, I know I won't be let down.  The meat of the game is the thing, and considering some of the crude components to both board and computer wargames that I've put up with in the past, a rough edged interface is the last thing I'll be worrying about.

Now that I've been clear on that point, let me move on and put on my other gamer personna...the one associated with such strange acronyms as FPS, RTS, and MMRPG.  With that crowd, presentation is very important, and in some cases crucial.  And the main thing is that these folks are really difficult to get to try out a new game unless it looks slick and is easy to use, otherwise they can't be bothered.  'Man...that thing your playing looks old, you say that's a new game?  Looks boring...'  And so it goes...trying to get non-wargamers to even look at a wargame, board or computer, has always been on the difficult side of things.  Unless of course it looks slick, and doesn't require a bunch of reading to learn how to play.  Pretty and intuitive, that's the ticket.

So when and where will the twain meet?  That's the thrust of what Berkut's been saying right from the start, and being a person who has battled long and hard to bring new players into the hobby and also knowing what they seem to want to see, I do agree.  So long as things like interface, screen resolutions and other such issues are dated and difficult to grasp easily, it will be difficult to expand and broaden the genre.  The issue also isn't what wargamers like myself or others here will put up with, but what other folks who might be interested will be put off by.  And while it might sound like a superficial agruement when, after all, 'the game's the thing!', it is still this sort of thing that will get new people to look at these games and give them the attention they deserve, like this game.

All that said, there is one last point I'd like to make, and that is it does seem rather unfair to bring all this up on this particular title however...I would have preferred that this came up in a more general discussion forum without naming names.  Not that it should somehow be exempt from these arguments, but more because it really was a one man labor of love on the part of Mr. Hunter to make this game.  I can forgive him an interface that will take some getting used to, or an issue with a single res screen, because he concentrated on what he felt was the most important thing and that was the game itself.  In short, he sang to my wargamer's heart, not that other guy, and being a wargamer first I'm smiling.    And for that, I give you many thanks.  But I do think, very strongly, that future designs and designers should take note of these arguments and concerns.  You may want to consider it just fluff, but it's fluff that not just helps sell the games, but helps sell them to newcomers.  And it's clearly not just me who thinks so...look at how the majority of the review sites always have rating catagories for graphics, presentation, etc.  And so coming from a long time champion of expanding our hobby, I think these are valid points and honestly should be considered as important as the game itself if we as a whole wish to continue in that Holy Grail quest of expanding the wargaming community.

(in reply to Ichirou989)
Post #: 21
RE: How do you increase screen res for it ? - 7/25/2007 12:52:06 AM   
Bossy573

quote:

ORIGINAL: TheWombat

Just a personal prejudice I suppose, but really, there's no way a developer (however admirable he/she/it may be) is going to get my money if they can't deliver a product that at least meets some basic standards for 21st century code--like Windows-standard resolutions, for example.

Agree with this. The interface doesn't bother me but the fixed screen resolution is annoying in the extreme. This is 2007 and I don't think there are many monitors still made that are native at 1024x768. A shame too because the game would look great on my monitor.

(in reply to TheWombat_matrixforum)
Post #: 22
RE: How do you increase screen res for it ? - 7/26/2007 3:41:37 AM   
ETF

Any ETA on a fix for the resolution problem?

My Top Matrix Games 1) CMO MP?? 2) WITP/AE 3) SOW 4) Combat Mission 5) Armor Brigade

Twitter
https://twitter.com/TacticWargamer

(in reply to Bossy573)
Post #: 23
RE: How do you increase screen res for it ? - 7/26/2007 4:17:13 AM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: ETF
Any ETA on a fix for the resolution problem?

The game resolution is not a problem and has no planned "fix", it's the way the game was designed. Frank has said he plans to look into whether he can do something to provide more options, but that's tentative at this point.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to ETF)
Post #: 24
RE: How do you increase screen res for it ? - 7/26/2007 8:38:55 AM   
FrankHunter

So far so good, I've got 1280 x 1024 working, or so it seems so far. I'm testing it now.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 25
RE: How do you increase screen res for it ? - 7/26/2007 8:48:13 AM   
Szilard

quote:

ORIGINAL: FrankHunter

So far so good, I've got 1280 x 1024 working, or so it seems so far. I'm testing it now.

Excellent!

Now ... what about an editor?

(Just joking, but would be nice to be able to fiddle around with the OOB's a bit ...)

Anyway, GoA is a really nice piece of work, Frank. Thanks!

(in reply to FrankHunter)
Post #: 26
RE: How do you increase screen res for it ? - 7/26/2007 9:32:01 AM   
flintlock

quote:

This sounds really encouraging! Honestly, great news thus far.

Post #: 27
RE: How do you increase screen res for it ? - 7/26/2007 3:59:49 PM   
coreymas

Okay now i just have to say that this is real dedication on your part Frank.

You just convinced me that buying this game is going to be a good thing. I will be buying it this weekend.

BTW -- I am a programmer/analyst by trade and i just so happen to be looking for a part time project.... anything i can help with?

Corey

Post #: 28
RE: How do you increase screen res for it ? - 7/26/2007 5:02:22 PM   
sol_invictus

I have my old CRT monitor set to 1024x768 as well as my desktop at that resolution. When I start the game, it automaticly begins in a window. I cannot figure out how to make it run in fullscreen. The window almost fills up the screen, but there are small slivers of desktop showing at the edges. What am I missing?

"The fruit of too much liberty is slavery", Cicero

(in reply to coreymas)
Post #: 29
RE: How do you increase screen res for it ? - 7/26/2007 5:41:12 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

That's great news Frank, let us know when you've got a version ready for testing and we can try it out on several higher resolutions including widescreen.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> Guns of August 1914 - 1918 >> How do you increase screen res for it ? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI