Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Question about Development

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> Question about Development Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Question about Development - 7/25/2007 4:22:50 AM   
maddog7800

Does anyone know if player development is purely a function of playing time, potential, peak age, and decline age? Or are other factors involved?

The way I understand it from the XML file, a player has an "optimal" level (ML, AAA, AA, A) based on their age and peak year. If a player is at a higher level, their development is reduced because they are considered over matched. But what if that player manages to have a great season at that level? Does that offset the "over matched" consideration?

I've always used the players' statistical performance as a guide for what level they should be at, but after reading through the XML, I'm not so sure that's a good indication. Are there any good indications of what level a player should be at, other than using strict age bins (<20 = A, 21-23 = AA, 24-26 = AAA, 27+ = ML, for example) or basing it on some kind of ratings bins? How do you all identify early peakers and late bloomers?
Post #: 1
RE: Question about Development - 7/25/2007 4:54:57 AM   
KG Erwin

quote:

ORIGINAL: maddog7800

How do you all identify early peakers and late bloomers?

You can't. That's one of the beauties of this game. It is NOT a strict recreation, and it was never intended to be one. It's a complex sim, and like real life, you are incapable of figuring it out.

Life throws you some curveballs sometimes. This game is meant for those who want to re-invent history, not recreate it or be able to quantify it into absolute probabilties. This game, in a fashion, is about human behavior. It's humanistic in nature, and relativistic in measuring talent.

I went philosophical, and I apologize, but managing the minors is really tough. With 3 levels, I'd have to think that age and ability go hand-in-hand on judging where to put a guy. With this is mind, perhaps going with a 25-man historical roster and a ten-man AAA level isn't that bad.

< Message edited by KG Erwin -- 7/25/2007 7:00:16 AM >

(in reply to maddog7800)
Post #: 2
RE: Question about Development - 7/25/2007 9:36:21 PM   
maddog7800

Thanks for the response, KGErwin.  I get what you're saying.  I'm not looking for perfect insight and I'm primarily a fictional player, so I'm also not interested in perfectly recreating history.  In fact it's the uncertainties of the fictional game that make me prefer it.  That's also why I use the smallest ratings scale, because I prefer the uncertainty of basing decisions on performance rather than ratings.

What prompted my posting was that performance doesn't seem to be a very good indicator of when a player should be promoted.  If I promote a guy "too early" but he still does really well and gets plenty of playing time, it seems that his development would still be penalized for being above the optimal level.  This seems a little counter-intuitive to me. 

What I would really like to see is some kind of indication, even if there is quite a bit of uncertainty to it, of what level our scouts, minor league coaches, or whoever think the player is ready for.  This, combined with in-season development, would really make for some interesting promotion/demotion/trade decisions during the season.  The way it is now, I rarely move a good young player quickly up the levels because I'm thinking that I may be keeping a good player from becoming great.  And the only feedback to that decision is how the ratings change in the offseason.

Please don't take this as complaining, because I absolutely love PureSim and have been buying it and following its development for quite some time.  I just thought this might be a topic Shaun might want to think about for the next version that could really add to the GM aspects.

By the way, thanks, Shaun, for a great sim.  I've really enjoyed it and I'm glad to hear that you're working on a new version for next year!

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 3
RE: Question about Development - 7/25/2007 9:58:21 PM   
KG Erwin

To tell you the truth, managing player development is probably the hardest thing to get a handle on. However, I haven't taken an association through two complete seasons yet.

I guess one should quick sim through four or five years just to get a feel for how the minors work.

(in reply to maddog7800)
Post #: 4
RE: Question about Development - 7/25/2007 10:58:15 PM   
SirWolf1960

One thing you could do is "auto-assign" players. Then you can adjust from there based on your gut feelings about players. That's how I do it. I am also a fictional player, for much the same reasons you are.

Steve

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> Question about Development Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI