Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Unrealistc

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> Tech Support >> Unrealistc Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Unrealistc - 7/26/2007 9:10:15 PM   
grog45

I played 5 games so far and I noticed that the game is not very realistic. A lousy team made of
not so good Padre players from the past has 2 wins in 2 games. Enzo Hernandez (a career .235 hitter)
is batting .500 in 2 games while players like Hank Aaron are batting .000 in 2 games.
It seems that the team with the worse players win more games.
Post #: 1
RE: Unrealistc - 7/26/2007 9:30:07 PM   
motnahp

Try not to rush to judgement after such a short sample. For batters, take another look after 100 at-bats. My experience is that the hitting results are outstanding. Pitching still requires some tweaking, though.

(in reply to grog45)
Post #: 2
RE: Unrealistc - 7/26/2007 10:29:54 PM   
Bustoff

What motnahp said. Real baseball is full of anomalies and surprises--how else to explain the '69 Mets? There are streaks and slumps for hitters and teams that defy logic..and last year's champs could be this year's chumps. Play out a season or two. The results may not be what you expect, but watching the season unfold will be delightful, frustrating and always interesting. In short, pretty much like the real thing.

"I never threw an illegal pitch. The trouble is, once in a while I toss one that ain't never been seen by this generation." -- Satchel Paige

(in reply to grog45)
Post #: 3
RE: Unrealistc - 7/26/2007 11:03:14 PM   
Frozen Stiffer

...and another note, as I and many others have said, please remember that Puresim is a baseball SIMULATOR, not a baseball REPLICATOR. It will not mirror past statistics to the last detail. It simply simulates games, and by that, takes a variety of things into consideration, most of which you can see, some of which you cannot. One important factor is stadiums- if you keep the default Puresim stadium for all teams, stats will be inaccurate.

Also, if you are upset that Hank Aaron is batting .000 in 2 games, then I would suggest you look into the history books for that season and show me proof that Hank Aaron never went on an 0-for-8 streak EVER in his career. Perhaps in your simmulation, he did that in the beginning of the year instead of later on.

Another good test to do, is to simmulate an entire season. Take notes, then simmulate that entire season, same year, EXACTLY as you did before, but for a second time. Compare your numbers. You will notice significant differences. While sluggers in the first test may still be sluggers in the second, their HR totals may be different. Winning pitchers may still be winning pitchers, but they may have a 14-8 record instead of 19-2.

Notice that the statistics that appear in modern baseball are the result of a season played out only once-- as is real life. If somehow you could replay an entire season that happened in real life, IN real life, numbers would still be different. Why should that not be the case in a game?

Think of Bonds' 73-HR year. Do you really expect that if that entire season were replayed in real life that he would get another 73 HRs? He may get more... probably less... but who knows? Some pitcher who was injured in real life didn't pitch enough to earn a high win total. However, in Puresim that injury doesn't happen... and the pitcher goes on to win 20 games in a year where he actually only won 11. Or vice versa. In real life he wins 18 games, but in Puresim he sufferes a serious hair injury and is out for 7 months, ending up winning only 6 games.

Does that mean Puresim can be inaccurate? In a way, yes-- but... deliberately. It's not a fault, it's a feature.

"It ain't braggin' if you can do it."

-Hall of Fame pitcher Jerome 'Dizzy' Dean

(in reply to Bustoff)
Post #: 4
RE: Unrealistc - 7/26/2007 11:17:09 PM   
Bustoff

A hair injury? FS, don't tell me you "enhance" your injury list...like I do.

"I never threw an illegal pitch. The trouble is, once in a while I toss one that ain't never been seen by this generation." -- Satchel Paige

(in reply to Frozen Stiffer)
Post #: 5
RE: Unrealistc - 7/26/2007 11:34:05 PM   
grog45

Thanks for the info!!!! I guess its kind of nice that some of the not so good players and pitchers could have
great games.  Bill Grief (an old Padre pitcher) was never really that good but he did really well in the
first game he pitched in.

(in reply to Bustoff)
Post #: 6
RE: Unrealistc - 7/27/2007 12:18:32 AM   
target762

I find that how I set my lineups affect how well some of my players do. I have had players with low ratings and low AVG have better RBIs than players with higher ratings. Maybe it is just luck, but I'm not sure.

(in reply to grog45)
Post #: 7
RE: Unrealistc - 7/27/2007 12:40:19 AM   
motnahp

Things tend to even out over time. Maybe Greif missed his calling and should have been a reliever all along. Note his performance as a starter and then as a reliever in my NL Assn.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to grog45)
Post #: 8
RE: Unrealistc - 7/27/2007 1:26:25 AM   
Frozen Stiffer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bustoff

A hair injury? FS, don't tell me you "enhance" your injury list...like I do.

No way... THAT'S AN OPTION?!?!?!! Where can I change this? I would LOVE to see Barry Bonds out with a hangnail!

::insert Family Guy rap song here::

< Message edited by Frozen Stiffer -- 7/27/2007 1:29:18 AM >

(in reply to Bustoff)
Post #: 9
RE: Unrealistc - 7/27/2007 1:29:15 AM   
Frozen Stiffer

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJA

I find that how I set my lineups affect how well some of my players do. I have had players with low ratings and low AVG have better RBIs than players with higher ratings. Maybe it is just luck, but I'm not sure.

TJA,

You're absolutely correct. I have a hitter in my fictional association that normally hit in the #3 spot, but my leadoff hitter went down with a bad injury (serious knee - 7 months). Realizing that this #3 slugger also had the best .AVG, OBP and SPEED rating of anyone in my lineup, I dropped him in the leadoff spot this season. The result? His AVG is a little above his norm, his number of hits are well above his norm, his HRs are about the same, but his RBIs have dropped significantly. Leadoff HRs are great and flashy, but barely scratch your RBI total. If there's no one getting on base before you're up, there's no one to drive in...

(in reply to target762)
Post #: 10
RE: Unrealistc - 7/27/2007 1:29:22 AM   
KG Erwin

One of the great things about baseball history is the "what could've been" factor. Let's take an example from the old Brooklyn Dodgers. Leo Durocher once said that Pete Reiser was the greatest ballplayer he ever saw. Well, Pete had an unfortunate tendency to get himself hurt, and I have no doubt that his internal durability rating is probably pretty low. However, had he stayed healthy enough to finish five or ten seasons, who knows what he could've accomplished?

Example 2 is a trade that nearly happened in 1946. Yankees' GM Larry MacPhail and Red Sox owner Tom Yawkey saw each other at Toots Shor's bar in NY, started talking, and knocked back many drinks. Before the night was over, they shook hands on a monumental deal -- Joe DiMaggio for Ted Williams. The next morning, a sobered-up Yawkey called MacPhail and backed out of the deal. The mind boggles at the possibilities had this trade gone through.

I don't know what Shaun would think about Williams finishing his career wearing pinstripes, but in Pure Sim you could make it happen.

(in reply to motnahp)
Post #: 11
RE: Unrealistc - 7/27/2007 1:31:42 AM   
Frozen Stiffer

quote:

ORIGINAL: KG Erwin
I don't know what Shaun would think about Williams finishing his career wearing pinstripes...

Or about DiMaggio with a Big Red B on his cap...

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 12
RE: Unrealistc - 7/27/2007 6:53:50 AM   
DonBraswell

Pete Reiser was exceptional in my association. He played 19 years and put up great numbers. George "Shotgun" Shuba and Gene Hermanski also performed very well for my St Louis Browns. You never can tell how well a player will do given enough playing time.
Don

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 13
RE: Unrealistc - 7/27/2007 4:42:42 PM   
Bustoff

quote:

No way... THAT'S AN OPTION?!?!?!! Where can I change this? I would LOVE to see Barry Bonds out with a hangnail!

::insert Family Guy rap song here::

Oh yeah, that's an option...a fun option. Look in your \xml\ folder for puresim.xml. Make a copy of this file and open the copy in Notepad. About a fourth of the way down in the file is the injury list...you'll see it. Add whatever injuries you'd like, or modify the ones there. I prefer to add. Use the file copy to make changes in case something goes wrong...you do not want to mess up the original version of this file. You can assign the copy to be used by the association. Don't forget to change the <DESCRIPTION> line near the top so you can tell which is which from PS.
I have used hangnail in the past, but my current "extra" injuries are lip, gunshot, belly button, skull, and armpit. I am one sick puppy...

If you need more details, drop me a private note.

(in reply to Frozen Stiffer)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> Tech Support >> Unrealistc Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI