Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

French Disaster!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> Guns of August 1914 - 1918 >> French Disaster! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
French Disaster! - 7/27/2007 7:08:59 AM   
06 Maestro

I may never see this again, so thought it the proper thing to do would be to share this bit of luck.
This is a screen shot of France at the very beginning of turn 3 (Nov. Dec.) '14. Note the French units just south of the highlighted German unit-They are surrounded! Perhaps 4 corps-I may be in Paris for the Holidays. My HQ's are running a little low on supply's, but I have enough in position for two good tries to annihilate those surrounded units.
This was not my plan, but an opportunity seemed to present itself, so I shifted reserves south from Brussels, instead of the unhistorical coastal advance I was working on.
BTW,at the start of this turn there was a message that Belgium had surrendered-I assume that's for good-their army is nada, no more, never to come back?

For those who have not played GoA yet, be advised that what appears to be an empty location may actually be loaded with enemy troops.

Attachment (1)
Post #: 1
RE: French Disaster! - 7/27/2007 7:43:28 AM   
sol_invictus

That will be quite a prize if you can smash them.

"The fruit of too much liberty is slavery", Cicero

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 2
RE: French Disaster! - 7/27/2007 7:54:24 AM   
FrankHunter

Yes, if Belgium surrendered their army won't return.  

(in reply to sol_invictus)
Post #: 3
RE: French Disaster! - 7/27/2007 8:13:00 AM   
06 Maestro

quote:

ORIGINAL: FrankHunter

Yes, if Belgium surrendered their army won't return.  

That's good news-I like the way this war is playing out, I will take it to the bitter end.
BTW, the more I play this game, the more I like it.
Thanks for all your efforts.

(in reply to FrankHunter)
Post #: 4
RE: French Disaster! - 7/27/2007 8:24:02 AM   
06 Maestro

quote:

ORIGINAL: Arinvald

That will be quite a prize if you can smash them.

The attacks fizzled, and the Frech pocket is still there at the start of "15 (which btw, the game moved right into without any problem). I have enough supply this Jan/Feb turn to finish them off. There were in fact 6 corps and one arty unit -I had very good recon on the location-showed almost everything.. Losses were very heavy for all concerned-I assume the French will not be able to reinforce, in which case, they are lost.

I think it's time for a glass of port and a cigar-RL ones. Time out.

Post #: 5
RE: French Disaster! - 7/27/2007 5:20:31 PM   
sol_invictus

That will be a bodyblow from which France will almost certainly not recover. On to Paris!

"The fruit of too much liberty is slavery", Cicero

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 6
RE: French Disaster! - 7/27/2007 5:27:02 PM   
06 Maestro

I'm afraid I'll have to wait 36 to 72 hours to find out what will happen-RL crap intervenes again.. I'' post here upon resumption

Post #: 7
RE: French Disaster! - 7/27/2007 9:06:39 PM   
Wooglin

When I have been surrounded and cutoff (CP Eastern Front), I have been able to resupply (add strength units to surrounded troops) and entrench but not move new troop in. Note, I was surrounded by territory designated enemy, however he did not have troops on all sides.

Also, when I have surrounded an enemy and then defeated him, he has retreated into one of my occupied hexes. One time, we just sat there together and I had the option to [withdraw] and another time I think my troops in that retreat hex finished him off next turn. Either way, defeat of surrounded enemy did not automatically force his surrender as I expected.

It would be helpful to either have some more guidance on unit isolation rules and/or share experiences.

- w

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 8
RE: French Disaster! - 7/31/2007 12:19:48 AM   
06 Maestro

I was able to resume-and with very satisfactory results for Germany. The surrounded French units (5 Inf, 1 Cav, Corps and 1 arty unit) were destroyed. They did not withdraw into my surrounding units. From the looks of the battle report, I do not think they recieved any replacements.

Frances moral is still "good"-back to the trenches.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Wooglin)
Post #: 9
RE: French Disaster! - 7/31/2007 2:32:32 AM   
SteveD64

hmm nice, Paris is open but your HQ's have no activation points.  Keep posting on the TE riposte.

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 10
RE: French Disaster! - 7/31/2007 3:36:39 AM   
06 Maestro

quote:

ORIGINAL: CLEVELAND

hmm nice, Paris is open but your HQ's have no activation points.  Keep posting on the TE riposte.

Cleveland

Unfortunately, Paris is not open-it only looks like that. There is a very low recon level in this game, as it should be. I was able to use my (nearly gone) air recon to take a peek at Paris-there was a very, very, slim chance of success. In fact, the AI launched a very powerful attack out of Paris which drove me back one hex-so it's back to the coast for me. I'm almost through the summer of '15 and am approaching the Seine on the coast.

I am reffitting 2 HQ per turn-barely enough. I didn't realize just how expensive it is to launch an offensive. I could have saved about 3 supply points in the 1st couple of turns-ah, hindsight.

(in reply to SteveD64)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> Guns of August 1914 - 1918 >> French Disaster! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI