Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Comments and problems

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> Guns of August 1914 - 1918 >> Comments and problems Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Comments and problems - 8/3/2007 7:31:49 PM   
mikebowen1962

Have only scratched the surface but the following comments may help. I am sorry of others have raised some of these before but at the moment I can not look through the lists. Also its my first post so be kind.

Comments
1 I know but the manual does not say what the numbers on the counters are can the PDF be updated.
2 Sea zones should be marked and better still appear on the naval screen as a mini jump map.
3 The French and British Naval screens should say which med they need transports in, I know the rules say but it would be easy to do.
4 I do not seem to be able to move some units in the mobilse phase, mainly later scenarios
5 Why does Haig command the BEF not French.
6 Can you increase rail capacity and if so how?

Problems
1 I played the 1917 scen and there were British and italian fleets in the same zone the Italians attacked and badly damaged British transports.
2 Wheres the 1918 scenario referred to in the manual?
3 Later starting scenarios all (I think) have no EP available on the first turn of the scenario. This I would suggest is wrong as the conditions to produce the EP existed the turn before.
4 I have not got this far but how do you enter the Indian Corps.
5 This is a silly one I often mess around hot seat to see things from both sides of the hill and as I am stupid I use the same password for bothe sides it did not like it.

Thanks

Mike
Post #: 1
RE: Comments and problems - 8/3/2007 8:18:20 PM   
mikebowen1962

Hot seat seems not to work at all.

(in reply to mikebowen1962)
Post #: 2
RE: Comments and problems - 8/4/2007 3:48:12 AM   
j campbell

I had no issue with hot seat last night. was checking out the initial strengths of each side.  it asks for a password for each side

"the willow branch but bends beneath the snow"

Post #: 3
RE: Comments and problems - 8/5/2007 5:19:17 AM   
FrankHunter

quote:

3 The French and British Naval screens should say which med they need transports in, I know the rules say but it would be easy to do.

Fixed this in the patch

quote:

4 I do not seem to be able to move some units in the mobilse phase, mainly later scenarios

Not sure why but if you like just send me a saved game and tell me what you're trying to move and I'll find out.
my email is fhunter@telus.net

quote:

5 Why does Haig command the BEF not French.

Haig was French's subordinate and at the level of the game Haig gets represented instead of French.  Same reason why Hindenburg disappears early on for the Germans.

quote:

6 Can you increase rail capacity and if so how?

No

quote:

1 I played the 1917 scen and there were British and italian fleets in the same zone the Italians attacked and badly damaged British transports.

Sure it was Italians and I assume the Italians were on the Entente side?  If so I'd like to see a save if you have one.

quote:

2 Wheres the 1918 scenario referred to in the manual?

It didn't make the final cut.

quote:

4 I have not got this far but how do you enter the Indian Corps.

They enter automatically

quote:

5 This is a silly one I often mess around hot seat to see things from both sides of the hill and as I am stupid I use the same password for bothe sides it did not like it.

There is a password glitch that I fixed in the patch.

(in reply to j campbell)
Post #: 4
RE: Comments and problems - 8/6/2007 2:25:10 PM   
mikebowen1962

Thanks for the reply I notice some things did not get a response in particular the non available EPs on 1st turns of scenarios.

I should have been clearer re the indian corps I know it arrives but you can do nothing with it until you get an HQ does one arrive there or do you build it and how does it arrive.

1918 scenario why not stick it in the patch it would be good to let the Allies test out their tanks etc

I am sure about the Italian navy but I do not have a saved file it was past that point when I thought about joining and posting will try and recreate.

Ditto the mobilse phase.

Mike

(in reply to FrankHunter)
Post #: 5
RE: Comments and problems - 8/6/2007 2:50:40 PM   
ulver

I had the US and British fleets shooting each up in the North Atlantic. Thought it was deliberate: If fleets from different nationalities patrol the same sea area there is a small risk of friendly fire incidents.

Post #: 6
RE: Comments and problems - 8/6/2007 8:00:16 PM   
FrankHunter

This navy thing, if it comes up again please send me all of your "autosaves".  I've never seen this and would very much like to check it out.

quote:

I should have been clearer re the indian corps I know it arrives but you can do nothing with it until you get an HQ does one arrive there or do you build it and how does it arrive.

Once the Indian corps arrives you'd have to amphibiously move an HQ there to join it. 

quote:

1918 scenario why not stick it in the patch it would be good to let the Allies test out their tanks etc

Not this time around, but I wouldn't rule out adding it in the future or adding a 1919 what-if scenario etc.

(in reply to ulver)
Post #: 7
RE: Comments and problems - 8/6/2007 8:57:43 PM   
hjaco

One possibility is also to deploy the HQ normally beginning in Cairo in India instead.

Post #: 8
RE: Comments and problems - 8/7/2007 3:21:58 PM   
mikebowen1962

Tried to recreate the Italian v Brits naval situation so far with no luck. Will send it if I can get it to happen again.

Mike

Post #: 9
RE: Comments and problems - 8/7/2007 5:42:41 PM   
StkNRdr

First, let me state that this is a great game.  Just finished my first complete campaign and I have just a few questions/comments.  If any of these comment have already been made, my apologies.

1. If a unit is Entrenched it would be helpful if there was some sort of visual marker or color on the unit.
2. Almost every command can be cancelled in the activation and movement phases except for artillery.  Can a cancel Barrage also be put in place in case you click on the wrong hex, etc.?
3. Once Artillery have been given Barrage orders is there a visual maker showing it has?  It may be there and I missed it.
4. Is there an Artillery counter on the screen showing available Reloads/Barrages for the Movement Phase?
5. When making allocations on the National Status screen would it be possible to have a reset button in case of mistakes during allocations?
6. It appears Refits for HQs can be done with a right click on the unit.  Can refitting a corp be done in a similar fashion?  This could speed up refits instead of clicking Next to get to the unit I want.
7. As far as the Naval aspect I must admit I didn't follow how it worked real well.  One thought is when your force encounters enemy, could there be an option box to engage/pursue/withdraw depending on the size and makeup of what is encountered?
8. Not sure I understand if the allocation of resources in National Status or Build Forces affects availability in Refits.  I found that if I refit first, no problem.

Thanks

Post #: 10
RE: Comments and problems - 8/8/2007 3:25:08 AM   
Bossy573

quote:

ORIGINAL: FrankHunter

adding a 1919 what-if scenario etc.

Excellent idea. As a "standalone." Have the map set up exactly as it appeared 11/11/18, the Germans refuse to sign and see if they can make it to the end of 1919. Maybe throw in some Russian Civil War action.

Post #: 11
RE: Comments and problems - 8/8/2007 4:09:33 AM   
SMK-at-work

quote:

ORIGINAL: StkNRdr

First, let me state that this is a great game.  Just finished my first complete campaign and I have just a few questions/comments.  If any of these comment have already been made, my apologies.

1. If a unit is Entrenched it would be helpful if there was some sort of visual marker or color on the unit.

There is - the number just to the left of the quality marker is the entrenchement level - it's either blank, or 1-4.

quote:

2. Almost every command can be cancelled in the activation and movement phases except for artillery.  Can a cancel Barrage also be put in place in case you click on the wrong hex, etc.?
3. Once Artillery have been given Barrage orders is there a visual maker showing it has?  It may be there and I missed it.

I agree.....both of these would be useful. The "undo move" for other units was a fairly late addition in the betas IIRC, so blame those who clamoutred for its release ASAP for these being missing!!

quote:

4. Is there an Artillery counter on the screen showing available Reloads/Barrages for the Movement Phase?

Yes a- along the top of the screen is a count of barrages available.

quote:

5. When making allocations on the National Status screen would it be possible to have a reset button in case of mistakes during allocations?

you can cancel, which resets any that have not already been saved (it is possible to allocate some of them, then exit, then go in again and allocate the rest - if you cancelled at this point then the 2nd lot of allocations would be cancelled, but the 1st would not)

quote:

6. It appears Refits for HQs can be done with a right click on the unit.  Can refitting a corp be done in a similar fashion?  This could speed up refits instead of clicking Next to get to the unit I want.

Yes it's been asked for and I'm sure it was present in the beta at some point so I'm not sure why it isn't there any more.

quote:

7. As far as the Naval aspect I must admit I didn't follow how it worked real well.  One thought is when your force encounters enemy, could there be an option box to engage/pursue/withdraw depending on the size and makeup of what is encountered?

unnecessary complication IMO - it's not a tactical naval game. WW1 naval warfare rarely allowed forces to disengage without at least gettign a few shots fired at them, and ambushes were common (Falklands, Coronel, Dogger Bank spring to mind)

The type of mission you give your forces also affects teh chances of getting caught - eg AFAIK raiders will be caught (if at all) by only a few patrolling ships, whereas ships on "patrol" that hit each otehr are more likely to do so in numbers.

quote:

8. Not sure I understand if the allocation of resources in National Status or Build Forces affects availability in Refits.  I found that if I refit first, no problem.

there should be no difference when you do it. You cannot buy anything this turn that you can also use this turn - there is always a 2-3 strat turn delay. The only way you can affect equipment or manpower levels available to you in a strat turn is to disband units.

(in reply to StkNRdr)
Post #: 12
RE: Comments and problems - 8/8/2007 5:07:28 PM   
StkNRdr

Thanks for the pointers SMK. As I said, this is a great game.

(in reply to SMK-at-work)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> Guns of August 1914 - 1918 >> Comments and problems Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI