Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: *** MOVIE 300 - REVIEW ***

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: *** MOVIE 300 - REVIEW *** Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: *** MOVIE 300 - REVIEW *** - 8/1/2007 4:38:58 PM   
Warfare1

I checked out availability:

Basically, the helmet edition is SOLD OUT everywhere. All the Best Buys west of Edmonton, Alberta are SOLD OUT.

In California - SOLD OUT.

There may be a few stores here and there that have it, but don't hold your breath.

When it comes to your area, if you don't buy it before noon, then you can pretty much forget about it.

In a few months expect prices for this puppy on e-bay to be outrageous.

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 61
RE: *** MOVIE 300 - REVIEW *** - 8/1/2007 4:48:42 PM   
Warfare1

quote:

ORIGINAL: a white rabbit

quote:

ORIGINAL: Warfare1

I just finished watching "The History Channel Presents: Last Stand of the 300".

This is "documentary" style history in the finest tradition. Clearly, the History Channel was inspired by the movie "300" in making this documentary.

Using dramatic narration, computer enhanced backgrounds, maps, enhanced terrain, and utilizing computer animated figures as well as live actors, this 90 minute documentary tells the true story of the 300. It goes into depth about the background history leading up to the Battle of Thermopylae, the important characters involved, as well as the significance of the aftermath of the battle itself.

The actual battle is staged very well and is quite dramatic.

I really enjoyed this, and the 90 minutes flew by. This has to be one of the best documentaries I have seen the History Channel produce. It makes a great companion dvd for the movie "300".

I rate it 10/10.

More reviews here:
http://www.amazon.com/History-Channel-Presents-Last-Stand/dp/B000OIOPPE

..armoured battle rhinos...verrrrry acurate history..

..damn that's History Channel blown away..

..btw Alexander did the elephants better..and the warfare...and the history....

Hi

That's a review about the History Channel Documentary and NOT about the film 300.

The film 300 was a film based on Miller's Graphic Novel. When you listen to the bonus disc, you hear why Miller did it the way he did: it was a fusion of myth, fantasy and reality as told through flashback.

When Herodotus wrote about the Gods arguing in the Iliad, was that accurate history....?

The ancient Greeks believed in mythology as history. They believed in giants, Griffens, winged horses, etc.

Many of the main characters in 300 are enhanced archetypes; they physically represent what is in their characters.

< Message edited by Warfare1 -- 8/1/2007 5:08:26 PM >

(in reply to a white rabbit)
Post #: 62
RE: *** MOVIE 300 - REVIEW *** - 8/1/2007 5:06:33 PM   
a white rabbit

quote:

quote:

quote:

This is "documentary" style history in the finest tradition. Clearly, the History Channel was inspired by the movie "300" in making this documentary.

Using dramatic narration, computer enhanced backgrounds, maps, enhanced terrain, and utilizing computer animated figures as well as live actors, this 90 minute documentary tells the true story of the 300. It goes into depth about the background history leading up to the Battle of Thermopylae, the important characters involved, as well as the significance of the aftermath of the battle itself.

I really enjoyed this, and the 90 minutes flew by. This has to be one of the best documentaries I have seen the History Channel produce. It makes a great companion dvd for the movie "300".

I rate it 10/10.

More reviews here:

That's a review about the History Channel Documentary and NOT about the film 300.

The film 300 was a film based on Miller's Graphic Novel. When you listen to the bonus disc, you hear why Miller did it the way he did: it was a fusion of myth, fantasy and reality as told through flashback.

I guess when Herodotus wrote about the Gods arguing in the Iliad, that was accurate history....

heh

quote:

I guess when Herodotus wrote about the Gods arguing in the Iliad, that was accurate history....

..possibly..

..you have a problem with the Mahabarantha ? altho it's short on war-rhinos..

..but what Miller's saying is basically, and this is just a rough translation into intelligent-think i made it up, based on my estimation of the gullible computer-orientated market and my team's research into that commercially available social group..

..where are you Sam Clemens when we need you..

..toodA, irmAb moAs'lyB 'exper'mentin'..,..beàn'tus all..?,

(in reply to Warfare1)
Post #: 63
RE: *** MOVIE 300 - REVIEW *** - 8/1/2007 5:09:02 PM   
Terminus

quote:

..but what Miller's saying is basically, and this is just a rough translation into intelligent-think i made it up, based on my estimation of the gullible computer-orientated market and my team's research into that commercially available social group..

And I wish more people would listen, instead of getting pissy about it...

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

Post #: 64
RE: *** MOVIE 300 - REVIEW *** - 8/1/2007 5:09:54 PM   
Jason Petho

quote:

Basically, the helmet edition is SOLD OUT everywhere. All the Best Buys west of Edmonton, Alberta are SOLD OUT.

There was a dozen or so at a London Drugs here in Calgary.

Jason Petho

(in reply to Warfare1)
Post #: 65
RE: *** MOVIE 300 - REVIEW *** - 8/1/2007 5:15:42 PM   
Warfare1

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I rate it 10/10.

More reviews here:

heh

quote:

..possibly..

heh

You are taking the film waaayy too literally.

I have read a lot about Greek history and mythology. The way Miller and Synder did it feels about right.

This film is a box office and dvd smash hit.

As I mentioned earlier the ancient Greeks believed in mythology. The film 300 is told in flashback as perhaps the Greeks would depict it. So, the Persians are depicted as huge, ugly conquerors, etc....

Any who, if the film's not for you, don't watch it.

Post #: 66
RE: *** MOVIE 300 - REVIEW *** - 8/1/2007 5:17:34 PM   
Warfare1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jason Petho

quote:

There was a dozen or so at a London Drugs here in Calgary.

Jason Petho

Is this the helmet edition?

It should be exclusive ONLY to Best Buy.

< Message edited by Warfare1 -- 8/1/2007 5:27:17 PM >

(in reply to Jason Petho)
Post #: 67
RE: *** MOVIE 300 - REVIEW *** - 8/1/2007 6:00:39 PM   
a white rabbit

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I rate it 10/10.

More reviews here:

heh

quote:

..possibly..

heh

I have read a lot about Greek history and mythology. The way Miller and Synder did it feels about right.

As I mentioned earlier the ancient Greeks believed in mythology. The film 300 is told in flashback as perhaps the Greeks would depict it. So, the Persians are depicted as huge, ugly conquerors, etc....

..ahh, but i did watch it,..

..all that time on e-mule..sighhhhhh

..and, errr, how to put this delicately,

..mmmmm...lesseeee..

..you like muscular males in your movies, s'coool, really,

..you like armoured rhinos, s'also coool, again really..

..none of this is any problem..really...

..but when you promulgate totally, neigh incredibly, inacurate views of history, especially on this board, then my apolgies, you do have to be brought to task..

(in reply to Warfare1)
Post #: 68
RE: *** MOVIE 300 - REVIEW *** - 8/1/2007 6:14:45 PM   
Warfare1

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I rate it 10/10.

More reviews here:

heh

quote:

..possibly..

heh

..ahh, but i did watch it,..

..all that time on e-mule..sighhhhhh

..and, errr, how to put this delicately,

..mmmmm...lesseeee..

..you like muscular males in your movies, s'coool, really,

..you like armoured rhinos, s'also coool, again really..

..none of this is any problem..really...

..but when you promulgate totally, neigh incredibly, inacurate views of history, especially on this board, then my apolgies, you do have to be brought to task..

What inaccurate views of history?

The Greeks didn't believe in mythology?

They didn't believe in winged horses? in giants? in hydras? in the gods being involved in human affairs? in Oracles communicating with the spirits?

As for muscular males... Well the Spartans were real men who trained physically all their lives. So they would have been muscular.

< Message edited by Warfare1 -- 8/1/2007 6:17:15 PM >

Post #: 69
RE: *** MOVIE 300 - REVIEW *** - 8/1/2007 6:23:09 PM   
Warfare1

Basically, Synder did what Stone (Alexander), Petersen (Troy) and a hundred historians standing on a mile high stack of history books couldn't do: get young people interested in history.

It was quite something to see young guys in muscle shirts, sporting tats, waiting outside of Best Buy to buy 300 - a history-based film!

As Synder said: Sometimes you have to reinvent stories for a new generation, that connects on their level. And he did it in spades.

History IS exciting. And Synder made the movie 300 very exciting...

If this movie gets young people interested in history, to read up more about the Spartans, and to learn more, then I am all for it.

< Message edited by Warfare1 -- 8/1/2007 6:27:31 PM >

(in reply to Warfare1)
Post #: 70
RE: *** MOVIE 300 - REVIEW *** - 8/1/2007 6:41:27 PM   
anarchyintheuk

There was an old Cheers episode where Frasier added Apache attack helicopters to A Tale of Two Cities so that the other bar potatoes would be interested in the story. Sometimes you can go too far.

(in reply to Warfare1)
Post #: 71
RE: *** MOVIE 300 - REVIEW *** - 8/1/2007 6:52:52 PM   
Warfare1

quote:

ORIGINAL: anarchyintheuk

There was an old Cheers episode where Frasier added Apache attack helicopters to A Tale of Two Cities so that the other bar potatoes would be interested in the story. Sometimes you can go too far.

I agree - I would have made them hornet jets

(in reply to anarchyintheuk)
Post #: 72
RE: *** MOVIE 300 - REVIEW *** - 8/1/2007 7:09:53 PM   
Warfare1

Here are some caveats for viewers of the film 300:

If you can't handle muscular males, don't watch the movie.

If you don't like exciting films, don't watch the movie.

If you have no imagination, don't watch the movie.

If you can't accept some mythology with your history, don't watch the movie.

If any tiny inaccuracy offends your sensibilities, don't watch the movie.

(in reply to Warfare1)
Post #: 73
RE: *** MOVIE 300 - REVIEW *** - 8/1/2007 7:11:37 PM   
Jason Petho

quote:

Is this the helmet edition?

It should be exclusive ONLY to Best Buy.

Unfortunately, I wasn't paying attention.

Jason Petho

(in reply to Warfare1)
Post #: 74
RE: *** MOVIE 300 - REVIEW *** - 8/2/2007 2:14:34 AM   
ilovestrategy

quote:

Give this man a beer!

After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!

(in reply to Warfare1)
Post #: 75
RE: *** MOVIE 300 - REVIEW *** - 8/2/2007 10:48:29 AM   
JudgeDredd

quote:

Completely agree...fantastic movie. You will get a lot of die hard history fans slate it...but these people generally should lighten up and take a movie for what it is....artistic licence.

I'm all for truthful promotion but I didn't read anywhere when the film was released that it was an accurate depiction of The Battle of Thermopylae

Alba gu' brath

(in reply to Warfare1)
Post #: 76
RE: *** MOVIE 300 - REVIEW *** - 8/2/2007 7:47:03 PM   
Warfare1

I loved the movie when I saw it in the theater (on the big screen). But I missed some of the quieter moments.

Having watched it again on dvd, I like the movie even more. There are more subtle, quieter moments than I remembered, especially by Leonidas. The ending, especially, had a greater impact when viewing it at home.

Watching the bonus disc, and hearing the interviews of both Miller (the writer) and Synder (the director), you realize these guys know their history. They explain why they presented the movie the way they did.

As I mentioned previously, a fantastic combo is the film 300 PLUS the History Channel's "Last Stand of the 300". If you love ancient warfare, the Greeks, and the Spartans, then this is the combo for you.

I hope the success of 300 prompts other directors to take up historical subjects for film.

Say what you want about the film 300 - it is bloody exciting to watch. There are certain images that really stay with you. I can get all the history I want from books.

Maybe the TV series "Heroes" and the movie "300" have touched an inner longing in people who are tired of seeing anti-heroes and hand-wringing and apologetics and cynicism...

Maybe, just like the ancient Greeks, we also need heroes and myths; someone or something we can look up to and believe in...

< Message edited by Warfare1 -- 8/2/2007 7:49:15 PM >

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 77
RE: *** MOVIE 300 - REVIEW *** - 8/2/2007 8:26:25 PM   
TheHellPatrol

Awesome movie, i hope my Son(11) will watch it with me. He could learn alot from it and a little nipple here and there never killed anyone. I have been watching all three iterations of it, widescreen, full screen and collectors every day for the last few days. Personally i don't find it too bloody, but then when i was dating my Wife many, many years ago i took her to a midnight showing of Dawn Of The Dead(1979). When there is no more room in Hell the dead will walk the Earth.

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone.
Henry David Thoreau

(in reply to Warfare1)
Post #: 78
RE: *** MOVIE 300 - REVIEW *** - 8/3/2007 3:22:31 AM   
ilovestrategy

Well, I liked it.

(in reply to TheHellPatrol)
Post #: 79
RE: *** MOVIE 300 - REVIEW *** - 8/3/2007 4:12:43 PM   
a white rabbit

quote:

..so mythology now includes a few warriors going out to get killed, damn and there was me thinking it was historical fact..

..silly bunny, Hollywood does the submarine thing again, and is correct, we all saw it on the movie...

..brave new world that has such people in it....

quote:

If any tiny inaccuracy offends your sensibilities, don't watch the movie

..what the f****'s tiny about a bloody rhino in armour ..

..otherwise the elephant was good, just how i'd see it as a pbi, the black-clad ninja look-alikes were possible tho undocumented..

..admit it, s'commercialised Hollywood panders to the single-celled brain creatures time again..

(in reply to Warfare1)
Post #: 80
RE: *** MOVIE 300 - REVIEW *** - 8/3/2007 4:14:32 PM   
a white rabbit

quote:

ORIGINAL: ilovestrategy

Well, I liked it.

..i am just sooo itching to ask if you can count to 10 without taking your shoes and socks off..

..but i won't...

(in reply to ilovestrategy)
Post #: 81
RE: *** MOVIE 300 - REVIEW *** - 8/3/2007 4:17:28 PM   
JudgeDredd

I thought it was ACE....and I can count to 10...1....2....3....5....6....7....8....9....10

Was there a rhino in armour in it?

Meant to say, I bet it's just a wheeze watching a film with you, white rabbit

< Message edited by JudgeDredd -- 8/3/2007 4:19:02 PM >

Alba gu' brath

Post #: 82
RE: *** MOVIE 300 - REVIEW *** - 8/3/2007 6:26:05 PM   
a white rabbit

quote:

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd

I thought it was ACE....and I can count to 10...1....2....3....5....6....7....8....9....10

Was there a rhino in armour in it?

Meant to say, I bet it's just a wheeze watching a film with you, white rabbit

..depends on the movie..

..any Clangers thing's cool, got a student and a baby and a tribal ay-ya so that's me stuffed..

..otherwise "but I'M a cheerleader" is the latest success..

.unless you include tagalog films..

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 83
RE: *** MOVIE 300 - REVIEW *** - 8/6/2007 9:15:53 AM   
Culiacan Mexico

quote:

I saw the film today and loved it.

It has a unique visual style that is simply stunning; the battle sequences are superb; and the acting reflects that this movie is a man's movie - that Spartan warriors are born and bred for battle...

9.5/10
Not bad. I wish it had been more historically accurate, but the makers of the film never claimed it was a documentary.

I have read where some poeple have complained bitterly about inaccuracies in the movie '300', which seems rather odd to me. I watch Rowan Atkinson (Blackadder) WW1, which wasn't generally historically accurate, but a lot of fun to watch. These shows don't pretend to be strict historical fact, but use a certain time period as a backdrop to tell their own stories.

An interesting story was told, in an imagitive way.

"If you love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains set lig

(in reply to Warfare1)
Post #: 84
RE: *** MOVIE 300 - REVIEW *** - 8/6/2007 11:32:18 AM   
ilovestrategy

quote:

quote:

Well, I liked it.

..i am just sooo itching to ask if you can count to 10 without taking your shoes and socks off..

..but i won't...

Let me get this straight. You're insulting my intelligence because I said I liked a movie.
That's real mature...

Uh buddy. I major in ancient history. I know ancient history like the WiTP players know about the Pacific War.
300 is a fictional story adapted from a graphic novel. It's taking a historical event and placing it in a fantasy setting. As in story telling. And it did a darn good job of it.

Post #: 85
RE: *** MOVIE 300 - REVIEW *** - 8/6/2007 3:34:57 PM   
Terminus

quote:

Well, I liked it.

Same here.

Post #: 86
RE: *** MOVIE 300 - REVIEW *** - 8/6/2007 10:02:39 PM   
ilovestrategy

quote:

quote:

Well, I liked it.

..but i won't...

I just don't understand why this gentleman has to insult me just because I said I enjoyed a movie. It's uncalled for.

Post #: 87
RE: *** MOVIE 300 - REVIEW *** - 8/6/2007 10:09:25 PM   
Terminus

It's called trolling... Don't worry about it.

Post #: 88
RE: *** MOVIE 300 - REVIEW *** - 8/6/2007 10:12:00 PM   
ilovestrategy

Thanks Terminus 

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 89
RE: *** MOVIE 300 - REVIEW *** - 8/7/2007 2:55:47 AM   
mjk428

quote:

I just don't understand why this gentleman has to insult me just because I said I enjoyed a movie.

Most likely too stoned or too sober to maintain.

Glad you liked the movie. I still haven't seen it but it should arrive this week. Very much looking forward to it.

As for the lack of complete historical accuracy, I don't much care. The older the history the less important to me that it be exact - since there's plenty of guesswork involved anyway. If Troy had opted to include more of the mythology it might have been all the better for it. I've seen several westerns that included Native American mythology and it didn't ruin them for me. WW2 and later, yeah it needs to have at least some degree of historical realism. Still, I expect 300 to be all around better history than Pearl Harbor or Windtalkers (just to name a couple). ;)

Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: *** MOVIE 300 - REVIEW *** Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI