Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: The Falklands Conflict

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: The Falklands Conflict Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Falklands Conflict - 8/5/2007 8:25:24 PM   
Dixie

The problem is that the Falklands War is a fresh memory, with so many veterans from both sides still with us there will be strong feelings from both sides for quite some time.  I don't want to cause any fresh arguements, but it seems (I may be wrong) that the strongest feelings from Argentina come from those who grew up after the war, and a lot of the Argentine veterans do not have the same feelings.

Bigger boys stole my sig

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 61
RE: The Falklands Conflict - 8/5/2007 8:45:47 PM   
LarryP

quote:

ORIGINAL: sprior

Kick away! What did you read and where?

It was a few months ago and it is in Military History magazine, November 2006 page 60. It's called "British Prison Ships: A Season In Hell." An article about how Britain treated their captives during the Revolutionary War. None of it good. No need to go into detail as I have good friends on here from Britain. That's why I brought up the part about our country enslaving the Africans. Heck, we did horrendous things to the Native Americans too. What race is free from mistakes? When I play Europa Universalis-3 it reminds me of how man really is.

< Message edited by LarryP -- 8/5/2007 9:21:28 PM >

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 62
RE: The Falklands Conflict - 8/5/2007 8:58:14 PM   
sprior

I asked more from interest than rancour and wondered how - or if - it differed from the treatment meted out to prisoners of war duing the Naploeonic Wars or the US Civil war

"Grown ups are what's left when skool is finished."
"History started badly and hav been geting steadily worse."
- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 63
RE: The Falklands Conflict - 8/5/2007 9:26:17 PM   
LarryP

quote:

ORIGINAL: sprior

I asked more from interest than rancour and wondered how - or if - it differed from the treatment meted out to prisoners of war duing the Naploeonic Wars or the US Civil war

I edited my post above with the exact place this article is at. I'm no history buff so I am bowing out, that's one reason why I said that "I may kick myself." I don't know much on this subject and I am at your mercy. I read what I can but I have not studied history like so many of you here. It amazes me how much you posters know about the intricasies of war issues. I learn a lot from reading these posts. Thanks to all of you!

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 64
RE: The Falklands Conflict - 8/5/2007 9:39:42 PM   
LarryP

There's also some good Interactive stuff in The Armchair General, May 2007 page 40 called "Goose Green, 1982." It also states that this Interactive series starts in the January 2007 issue. They are also online at www.armchairgeneral.com .

< Message edited by LarryP -- 8/5/2007 9:40:56 PM >

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 65
RE: The Falklands Conflict - 8/5/2007 9:50:45 PM   
sprior

Here's a modern take from an Argentine historian:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/6545899.stm

- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 66
RE: The Falklands Conflict - 8/5/2007 10:42:28 PM   
EUBanana

quote:

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd

Another little bit of info that may not be widely known, but the US refused to get involved on any military scale. They were very active in the diplomacy, but not so on the military front. I believe a request was made for some. We didn't have enough aircraft carriers or aircraft, and I think seaborne aviation help was requested.

According to Thatcher's memoirs, the idea of the US loaning an aircraft carrier from which to fly British aircraft was suggested but turned down. And the US provided the RAF with the latest Sidewinder missiles, thus giving us an edge in air to air combat.

The US administration really did not want the war at all, as they were buddy-buddy with Argentina at the time, but when the war actually started and the US was resigned to the fact it was going to happen, they did help a little in their way. Their heart was in the right place.

Re. the British ships being sunk, there were rumours at the time that this was due to aluminium construction of the ships, which may well have been true for some of them, but HMS Sheffield was the most famous loss and HMS Sheffield was actually made out of steel. So it wasn't that...

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 67
RE: The Falklands Conflict - 8/5/2007 10:46:17 PM   
EUBanana

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ike99
I believe the US was very involved. If not the British would never have recovered the MALVINAS.

Typical Yanks! Bwahahaha!

(in reply to Ike99)
Post #: 68
RE: The Falklands Conflict - 8/5/2007 10:55:39 PM   
EUBanana

quote:

The several thousand islanders may want it this way but 40 million Argentines do not and the Argentine government supports them.

So what? I don't see how the opinion of those in a different countyr matter a jot.

(in reply to Ike99)
Post #: 69
RE: The Falklands Conflict - 8/5/2007 10:57:15 PM   
sprior

According to DK Brown (who should know a thing or two) the Sheffield's fire was caused by burning fuel from an Exocet in a ready use fuel tank which was realtively high up in the ship's structure.

Smoke was big proble because of the covered access on 2 deck (the Burma Way) and not all the bulkfead openings were smoke tight. The Type 21's were worse in this respect because none were smoke tight and the whole ship had a single ventilation system.

- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to EUBanana)
Post #: 70
RE: The Falklands Conflict - 8/5/2007 11:03:25 PM   
JudgeDredd

I was just going to post that the Sheffield was hit by an exocet...quite a few of the others were destroyed by unexploded bombs!

That's why it was touted that it was because of the aluminium which they were made of which was the cause of the fires on them.

Alba gu' brath

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 71
RE: The Falklands Conflict - 8/5/2007 11:13:58 PM   
EUBanana

I know on one of the ships (HMS Antelope) it was hit with bombs that did not explode, they were trying to defuse the bombs later when they went off, and the ship subsequently sunk.  I'm not sure that any of the ships were sunk by bombs that did not, even after the battle, explode. 

Though I could be wrong.

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 72
RE: The Falklands Conflict - 8/6/2007 12:48:50 AM   
JudgeDredd

You are correct.

Alba gu' brath

(in reply to EUBanana)
Post #: 73
RE: The Falklands Conflict - 8/6/2007 12:59:26 AM   
Terminus

I could misremember this, but did the warhead of the Exocet that hit Sheffield even explode? The fuel burned, obviously, and the aluminum helped do the rest.

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 74
RE: The Falklands Conflict - 8/6/2007 2:46:35 AM   
BrucePowers

I was told of an interview of the captain of the newly recommissioned USS Missouri. A reporter asked him what he would do if an exocet hit his ship. His reply was that he would send a couple of crewmen up on deck to sweep away the debris.

I heard this story second hand. I do not know if it is true.

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 75
RE: The Falklands Conflict - 8/6/2007 4:27:51 AM   
Ike99

quote:

The problem is that the Falklands War is a fresh memory, with so many veterans from both sides still with us there will be strong feelings from both sides for quite some time.

Well you also have this little thing about the Malvinas are 13,000 kilometers from Britian too but still self proclaimed ¨theirs¨ by 2,000 sheep herders.

I wonder what British attitudes will be if we go up to the Sheffield Islands, drop a couple thousand Gouchos with some cows on one and claim it, then we offer a trade?

The point is easy to see...it's a geographic absurdidty. Before the war I'm guessing 90% of the British populace didn`t know where the Malvinas were much less ¨theirs¨ Maybe they still don´t. I did see a documentary and at first news of the war most of them thought the Malvinas were an island off Scottland!

During the war there was a song on the radio that summed it up by Raul Porchetto about a British soldier saying...

¨Estoy en este lugar, tan lejos de casa, que ni el nombre recuerdo...¨-I´m in this place very far from my home and can´t even remember the places name.

But JudgeDredd says this thread is about the conflict itself not the islands soverignty so... It's been said here how the Junta timed the event because the domestic population wanted democracy and it was a ¨wag the dog¨ thing. I agree with that.

But my British mates have not mentioned Mrs.Thatchers own little wag the dog war crime of sinking the Belgrano outside of the publicly stated and agreed upon exclusion zones to get a quick victory, bring up the low war support at home and help her own political future.

edit-Hi Larry, I've never heard anyone saying the British soldiers mistreated them as a prisoner. I've never heard a British person saying they were mistreated by Argentine soldier.

About the islanders, 3 were killed during the war by British friendly fire accidents. So it was very clean except for the Belgrano sinking. Who knows, maybe one day even they too will recognize the Malvinas as a ¨wrong¨ from their colonial past and return them. If they do as a bonus they should give Northern Ireland back to the Irish too.

< Message edited by Ike99 -- 8/6/2007 5:00:56 AM >

(in reply to BrucePowers)
Post #: 76
RE: The Falklands Conflict - 8/6/2007 5:25:45 AM   
dinsdale

quote:

But my British mates have not mentioned Mrs.Thatchers own little wag the dog war crime of sinking the Belgrano outside of the publicly stated and agreed upon exclusion zones to get a quick victory, bring up the low war support at home and help her own political future.

First of all, I agree with pretty much everything you've written about the sovereingty of the islands. I also think the war was a waste of time, money and lives from both governments.

However, this really isn't the place for it, and if you find one, expect a circular arguement which drones on for days resolving nothing. As a conflict, I find it interesting and can seperate that from my political feelings.

Now, funny you should mention the Belgrano, I meant to in my first post. The exclusion zone seemed a very silly idea IMHO, and the fuss over sinking an enemy vessel while at war.....well it didn't seem to deter Argentine pilots from bombing a merchant ship.

Calling the sinking of the Belgrano a war crime is bizarre. It wasn't a pleasure cruiser, and happening to be outside the British-advertised field of play hardly makes it a war crime.

As for Thatcher, I firmly believed she profited from the war, particularly the manner of victory, and she was able to deflect responsibility for allowing the invasion onto Lord Carrington. Quite amazing, the Tories were in the process of dismantling Britain's ability to construct a task force, and because they didn't quite finish the job they're lauded as heroes and swept back into power on a wave of jingoism. Record unemployment, recession and nationwide political divisions overturned in 10 weeks.

quote:

I've never heard a British person saying they were mistreated by Argentine soldier.

Didn't each side fly prisoners to Chile while the war was going on? IIRC, all the original troops captured during the Argentine invasion were home before the fleet sailed.

(in reply to Ike99)
Post #: 77
RE: The Falklands Conflict - 8/6/2007 5:55:22 AM   
Ike99

quote:

Didn't each side fly prisoners to Chile while the war was going on?

My neighbour said he was returned to Montevideo, the closest neutral port after the war was over.

Sending the Argentine prisoners of war to Chile...

I don´t think that would have been a good idea at the time.

(in reply to dinsdale)
Post #: 78
RE: The Falklands Conflict - 8/6/2007 7:04:38 AM   
Ike99

quote:

Calling the sinking of the Belgrano a war crime is bizarre. It wasn't a pleasure cruiser, and happening to be outside the British-advertised field of play hardly makes it a war crime.

Well it seems bizarre because your flying the union jack for your avatar.

just joking

Well there have been people from both sides ever sence that ship was sunk saying,

1.Belgrano was returning to port with engine problems and sailing back to Argentina.

2.She was moving north as part of a move with 25th of May to destroy the British carriers at dawn.

3.Everything in between these two.

But regardless of what Belgrano was doing she was outside the exclusion zone when sunk. Now some may say this is war and that's absurd. I remind them even in war there are rules between ¨civilized¨ nations. No use of gas, respecting hospitals ships, the red cross etc. etc. etc.

By sinking the Belgrano outside of the exclusion zone one of the rules was broken and that constitutes a war crime. It would have been very simple for the British to announce a larger exclusion zone prior to the fighting (Argentina declared a wider exclusion zone prior to the fighting than the British) and did realize their mistake but too late.

This is why there was a last second attempt by the British commander to have the British exclusion zone made larger prior to sinking Belgrano outside the exclusion zone. He did not want to be comitting a crime. If he felt he was doing nothing wrong he would have simply sunk her no questions asked. But it was a violation and that's why he hesitated.

In the end Mrs.Thatcher made the call herself for Belgrano to be sunk.

To flip it around...imagine Port Stanley being publicly declared ¨open¨ when the British soldiers surrendered and the Argentine general saying ¨well...these British soldiers may change their mind, they can still be a threat, open city...ehh, who cares. Let shell them anyways.¨

It looks quite nasty yes?

(in reply to Ike99)
Post #: 79
RE: The Falklands Conflict - 8/6/2007 7:25:40 AM   
dinsdale

quote:

Well it seems bizarre because your flying the union jack for your avatar.

just joking

I'm usually the most critical of my country's history.

quote:

But regardless of what Belgrano was doing she was outside the exclusion zone when sunk.

That's true, but the leap to:
quote:

By sinking the Belgrano outside of the exclusion zone one of the rules was broken and that constitutes a war crime.

Is the bizarre. General Belgrano was an enemy capital ship. The exclusion zone wasn't a rule of war, wasn't a recognised treaty provision, it was a voluntary area marked by Britain as one where Argentine personnel would be attacked. The right or wrong of fighting outside may be debateable, but if anything it's a ruse de guerre, not a crime. For a crime to occur there has to be a law broken.

quote:

This is why there was a last second attempt by the British commander to have the British exclusion zone made larger prior to sinking Belgrano outside the exclusion zone. He did not want to be comitting a crime. If he felt he was doing nothing wrong he would have simply sunk her no questions asked. But it was a violation and that's why he hesitated.

Nothing to do with crime, everything to do with PR.

quote:

To flip it around...imagine Port Stanley being publicly declared ¨open¨ when the British soldiers surrendered and the Argentine general saying ¨well...these British soldiers may change their mind, they can still be a threat, open city...ehh, who cares. Let shell them anyways.

The Belgrano wasn't surrendering. Perhaps your analagy would work if the Argentine commander gave the garrison 10 hours to surrender, then started shelling after 9. Would that be considered a war crime? I don't think so. People would bitch about it, but that's a long way from criminal.

When we use terms such as "war crime" or "genocide" flippantly, then we cheapen the victims of them.

quote:

It looks quite nasty yes?

War is nasty, that's why it shouldn't be entered into lightly.

(in reply to Ike99)
Post #: 80
RE: The Falklands Conflict - 8/6/2007 9:04:29 AM   
Dixie

quote:

Well you also have this little thing about the Malvinas are 13,000 kilometers from Britian too but still self proclaimed ¨theirs¨ by 2,000 sheep herders.

I wonder what British attitudes will be if we go up to the Sheffield Islands, drop a couple thousand Gouchos with some cows on one and claim it, then we offer a trade?

They could try dropping troops at the Sheffield Islands, but there's no such place within the UK....

quote:

The point is easy to see...it's a geographic absurdidty. Before the war I'm guessing 90% of the British populace didn`t know where the Malvinas were much less ¨theirs¨ Maybe they still don´t. I did see a documentary and at first news of the war most of them thought the Malvinas were an island off Scottland!

During the war there was a song on the radio that summed it up by Raul Porchetto about a British soldier saying...

¨Estoy en este lugar, tan lejos de casa, que ni el nombre recuerdo...¨-I´m in this place very far from my home and can´t even remember the places name.

Yes, the islands are far from Britain, but the UK has never at any point given up their territorial claim to the area and invading the Falklands would have been the same as invading the Isle of Wight, they are both British territories under international law.

quote:

But JudgeDredd says this thread is about the conflict itself not the islands soverignty so... It's been said here how the Junta timed the event because the domestic population wanted democracy and it was a ¨wag the dog¨ thing. I agree with that.

The sinking of the Belgrano was not a war crime, the Captain of the ship stated so himself.
"We were heading towards the mainland but not going to the mainland; we were going to a position to await further orders" (Belgrano's Captain)

There had also been an announcement on the 23rd April that the exclusion zone was not the limit of British action. Passed to the Argentine government vis the Swiss Embassy in Buenos Aires:
In announcing the establishment of a Maritime Exclusion Zone around the Falkland Islands, Her Majesty's Government made it clear that this measure was without prejudice to the right of the United Kingdom to take whatever additional measures may be needed in the exercise of its right of self-defence under Article 51 of the United Nations Charter. In this connection Her Majesty's Government now wishes to make clear that any approach on the part of Argentine warships, including submarines, naval auxiliaries or military aircraft, which could amount to a threat to interfere with the mission of British Forces in the South Atlantic will encounter the appropriate response. All Argentine aircraft, including civil aircraft engaged in surveillance of these British forces, will be regarded as hostile and are liable to be dealt with accordingly

quote:

edit-Hi Larry, I've never heard anyone saying the British soldiers mistreated them as a prisoner. I've never heard a British person saying they were mistreated by Argentine soldier.

About the islanders, 3 were killed during the war by British friendly fire accidents. So it was very clean except for the Belgrano sinking. Who knows, maybe one day even they too will recognize the Malvinas as a ¨wrong¨ from their colonial past and return them. If they do as a bonus they should give Northern Ireland back to the Irish too.

Again, I have not heard from any prisoners from either side claiming mistreatment.

Honestly I cannot see the Falkland Islanders themselves, and by extension the UK government, deciding they want to be part of Argentina.

There were no war crimes as such from either side, no killing of prisoners or civilians, no use of chemical weapons etc.

Bigger boys stole my sig

(in reply to Ike99)
Post #: 81
RE: The Falklands Conflict - 8/6/2007 9:34:01 AM   
Culiacan Mexico

quote:

By sinking the Belgrano outside of the exclusion zone one of the rules was broken and that constitutes a war crime.
Britain sinks a warship during war and that is a war crime?

Interesting. Please present the legal statute. Course and verse.

"If you love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains set lig

(in reply to Ike99)
Post #: 82
RE: The Falklands Conflict - 8/6/2007 9:37:10 AM   
Culiacan Mexico

quote:

A violation of 'Rules of Engagement' (ROE) not international law.

"If you love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains set lig

(in reply to Ike99)
Post #: 83
RE: The Falklands Conflict - 8/6/2007 9:45:04 AM   
Tomus

The exclusion zone is about the most misunderstood part of the whole conflict. It was only established to give neutral shipping an idea that they could be targetted by the Royal navy if they strayed within the zone. It had absolutely nothing to do with the engagement of enemy vessels. The Argentinians understood this perfectly at the time. The only guarantee the British gave Argentina was that they would not attack Argentinian vessels in their own territorial waters.

I really have no idea why people still go on about the exclusion zone as though it was ever set up or designed to demark the hostilities. The Belgrano was part of a pincer movement undertaken by the Argentinian Navy to attack the British task force and was sunk accordingly. Even the Captain of the Belgrano himself expected to be sunk and deemed it a fully legitimate act of war.

< Message edited by Tomus -- 8/6/2007 10:04:16 AM >

(in reply to Culiacan Mexico)
Post #: 84
RE: The Falklands Conflict - 8/6/2007 10:13:00 AM   
Hertston

quote:

Who knows, maybe one day even they too will recognize the Malvinas as a ¨wrong¨ from their colonial past and return them. If they do as a bonus they should give Northern Ireland back to the Irish too.

It's all about people, not real estate. There is nothing the British would have liked better than to do just that from 1969 onwards.... the reason they couldn't was exactly the same one there was a 'Northern' Ireland in the first place, the majority of people actually living there wanted it to remain British. Any attempt to just declare the North part of the Republic would have resulted in a blood-bath that would have made the 'troubles' look like a snowball fight. Fortunately, there is no similar conflict between peoples living in the Falklands so the situation is rather more clear cut. There is no significant Argentine population.

quote:

Whatever the reasons for the Belgrano sinking wasn't those. It achieved nothing towards a 'quick victory'. There was no 'low war support'; and those who didn't support it were hardly likely to have their opinion changed by the sinking of the Belgrano! Quite the contrary. Thatcher's political career was certainly enhanced by winning the Falklands War, but in those terms the Belgrano was not significant. BTW, the exclusion zone was not "agreed", it was declared unilaterally by the British government.

The "war crime" suggestion is a revisionist fantasy. In hindsight the sinking of the Belgrano was probably unnecessary, and hence very sad in view of the loss of life, but it was no "war crime"

quote:

In announcing the establishment of a Maritime Exclusion Zone around the Falkland Islands, Her Majesty's Government made it clear that this measure was without prejudice to the right of the United Kingdom to take whatever additional measures may be needed in the exercise of its right of self-defence under Article 51 of the United Nations Charter. In this connection Her Majesty's Government now wishes to make clear that any approach on the part of Argentine warships, including submarines, naval auxiliaries or military aircraft, which could amount to a threat to interfere with the mission of British Forces in the South Atlantic will encounter the appropriate response. All Argentine aircraft, including civil aircraft engaged in surveillance of these British forces, will be regarded as hostile and are liable to be dealt with accordingly.

British government statement , 23 April 1982.

quote:

"After that message of 23 April, the entire South Atlantic was an operational theatre for both sides. We, as professionals, said it was just too bad that we lost the Belgrano".

Rear-Admiral Jorge Allara

Q.E.D.

< Message edited by Hertston -- 8/6/2007 10:14:09 AM >

(in reply to Ike99)
Post #: 85
RE: The Falklands Conflict - 8/6/2007 10:18:33 AM   
Culiacan Mexico

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tomus

The exclusion zone is about the most misunderstood part of the whole conflict. It was only established to give neutral shipping an idea that they could be targetted by the Royal navy if they strayed within the zone. It had absolutely nothing to do with the engagement of enemy vessels...
Really, it doesn't seem have been that way to me. It seems to me that ROE for enemy warships inside the zone was for them to be attacked, those outside 'could be attacked'.

"On April 26, 1982, the Belgrano left Ushuaia with her two escorting destroyers, the Piedra Buena (D-29) and the Hipolto Bouchard (D-26, both also ex-USN vessels). Four days later the Belgrano group was detected patrolling the Burdwood Bank, south of the islands, by the nuclear attack submarine HMS Conqueror. British Commander Chris Wreford-Brown was in a quandary: while the vessels represented the most powerful naval surface force the Argentine Navy could muster, and was clearly a threat to British forces, it was also 20 miles outside the 200-mile exclusion zone surrounding the islands, and thus not a 'target of opportunity.' The submarine reported the contact and waited for instructions while stalking the Argentine force for the next 36 hours. After consultation at cabinet level,and with the commander of the British Task Force, Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher agreed that the group was a threat, and ordered the submarine to attack."

http://www.bobhenneman.info/belgrano.htm

(in reply to Tomus)
Post #: 86
RE: The Falklands Conflict - 8/6/2007 10:49:30 AM   
JudgeDredd

I'm not sure it can be said that the sinking of the Belgrano achieved nothing. From what I recall, didn't that particular action persuade the Argentines to dock the Vienti Cinco de Mayo carrier? She was out and about then, on the scout as it were.

See the raid on Pebble Island, the bombing of Stanley Airfield by the vulcan bomber, the sinking of the Belgrano...these actions have often been touted as achieving nothing significant. In actual fact, they forced the pride of the Argentinian airforce to operate from the mainland.

The attack on Pebble Island sent the message that the UK already had forces there and they were willing and able to fight.

The Vulcan bombing of Stanley sent the message that we had the ability to do so and that distance wasn't an issue (although it was!)

The sinking of the Belgrano sent the message that we had a deadly secret under the water...and they couldn't find them...and we could pick off ships at will.

The fact that the Argentine air force was forced to operate from the mainland left them very little time for dogfighting. Also, the Task Force carriers could operate to the East of East Falkland with relative impunity.

Alba gu' brath

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 87
RE: The Falklands Conflict - 8/6/2007 11:01:02 AM   
JudgeDredd

And on a side note for any South American people here...

The Argentinian pilots showed absolute courage under fire.

The British press incorrectly informed the British public that the armed forces facing the British were ill supplied, ill equiped and low morale conscripts. The truth of the matter was they were brave enough to fight for their country.

Yes they did surrender in large quantities, but they were fighting the cream of the British Army. There were some hard core units sent there. It was widely perceived in the UK that the conflict would amount to nothing...that there would be no fighting. In fact, the British had to fight very hard.

As always, to all who served in both sides, my respect for those who took part goes without saying.

Alba gu' brath

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 88
RE: The Falklands Conflict - 8/6/2007 12:17:09 PM   
Terminus

Of course... But the people on those islands are, and have chosen to be, a part of the UK. Too bad for the Argentinians, who aren't exactly 2 miles away either.

And the sinking of the Belgrano was not a war crime in any way. That's just revisionist garbage; there was a war on, and the Argentinians themselves had started it. Sow the wind, reap the storm.

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 89
RE: The Falklands Conflict - 8/6/2007 1:21:00 PM   
Gen Alexandra

quote:

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd

And on a side note for any South American people here...

The Argentinian pilots showed absolute courage under fire.

The British press incorrectly informed the British public that the armed forces facing the British were ill supplied, ill equiped and low morale conscripts. The truth of the matter was they were brave enough to fight for their country.

Yes they did surrender in large quantities, but they were fighting the cream of the British Army. There were some hard core units sent there. It was widely perceived in the UK that the conflict would amount to nothing...that there would be no fighting. In fact, the British had to fight very hard.

As always, to all who served in both sides, my respect for those who took part goes without saying.

Sorry JD but the "HARD CORE" Argentinian Units where not deployed to the Falkland Islands, the best units where deployed along the Chilean Border and around the runway at Santa Fe.

Argentina expected Chile to take advantage of the situation and perhaps make gains in the beagle channel.

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: The Falklands Conflict Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI