Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

AA Units

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> AA Units Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
AA Units - 8/7/2007 2:49:55 AM   
donnie_1974_texas

It appears that airfield attacks due an inordinate amount of damage to flak units. For example, in my game against Jari I have 4 flak units (regiments and battalions), 1 special base force, 1 full base force, and one IJN base force as well as two coastal gun regiments (32 4.7" DP guns each) at Balikapan. I noticed after 30-40 B17s flew two airfield attacks back to back that most of my flak units looked like the one below. Is this typical? Is it realistic?

Nonetheless, I did some experimenting by modding a 45 scenario head to head and used B29s on airfield attack versus Shimuzu. I noticed by changing the AA units to infantry type units that they were not as heavily damaged by the B29s as AA units and there was no apparent decrease in their effectiveness versus the bombers.

Attachment (1)
Post #: 1
RE: AA Units - 8/7/2007 4:06:12 AM   
RUPD3658

Welcome to the heartache that is playing Japan.

Those 105mm AA guns don't shoot at much under 15,000 feet. Most damage is done by the supporting 75mm AA guns in the AA units.

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits"- Darwin Awards 2003

"No plan survives contact with the enemy." - Field Marshall Helmuth von Moltke

(in reply to donnie_1974_texas)
Post #: 2
RE: AA Units - 8/7/2007 6:59:23 PM   
castor troy

quote:

ORIGINAL: donnie_1974_texas

It appears that airfield attacks due an inordinate amount of damage to flak units. For example, in my game against Jari I have 4 flak units (regiments and battalions), 1 special base force, 1 full base force, and one IJN base force as well as two coastal gun regiments (32 4.7" DP guns each) at Balikapan. I noticed after 30-40 B17s flew two airfield attacks back to back that most of my flak units looked like the one below. Is this typical? Is it realistic?

Nonetheless, I did some experimenting by modding a 45 scenario head to head and used B29s on airfield attack versus Shimuzu. I noticed by changing the AA units to infantry type units that they were not as heavily damaged by the B29s as AA units and there was no apparent decrease in their effectiveness versus the bombers.

Trust me, it´s not worth to test it, think about it, or to expect anything to be changed. Put those AA units outside of a base, they are suddenly 10 times more effective. No reason for it, not realistic, perhaps working as intended, I don´t think someone really put some thought into it...

(in reply to donnie_1974_texas)
Post #: 3
RE: AA Units - 8/7/2007 7:46:09 PM   
Feinder

Asking if it is "typical" and "realistic" often provides two different responses.

-F-

"It is obvious that you have greatly over-estimated my regard for your opinion." - Me

(in reply to castor troy)
Post #: 4
RE: AA Units - 8/8/2007 7:25:13 AM   
erstad

Per the manual (yeah, I know, but that doesn't mean there isn't some info there) airfield attacks target support troops - HQ, AA, Arty, and Engineers (includes BFs). That's my experience too. Presumably, the idea is that in the 60 mile hex, those units would be supporting or deployed near the base structure.

(in reply to Feinder)
Post #: 5
RE: AA Units - 8/8/2007 6:44:50 PM   
castor troy

quote:

ORIGINAL: erstad

Per the manual (yeah, I know, but that doesn't mean there isn't some info there) airfield attacks target support troops - HQ, AA, Arty, and Engineers (includes BFs). That's my experience too. Presumably, the idea is that in the 60 mile hex, those units would be supporting or deployed near the base structure.

but that doesn´t explain why flak outside of a base does 10 times more damage. In fact this explanation would be leading to the result of flak outside of a base being less effective, not more...

And it´s just plain stupid to see the casualties of bombing runs against bases going up to thousands (yeah, disabled, but after being 50% disabled you LOSE troops easily - means two bombing runs...) if you put enough support troops at a base... One base force, 20 bombers... 50 casualties... 20 base forces, 20 bombers... 500 casualties ----> dumb...

(in reply to erstad)
Post #: 6
RE: AA Units - 8/8/2007 7:55:49 PM   
Dili

quote:

I noticed by changing the AA units to infantry type units

This is a good idea actually. Means that the game is thinking that infantry units are outside airbase and somewhere in the city which makes sense since you are attacking an airbase.

(in reply to castor troy)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> AA Units Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI