Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: The Falklands Conflict

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: The Falklands Conflict Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Falklands Conflict - 8/8/2007 7:35:20 PM   
GreyFox

quote:

Argentina maintains to this day that on the last day of the war a successful exocet attack was launched against (I think) carrier ¨Invincible¨

I think the story is even on the airforce site, I could be wrong though I'll have to check.

But the British denied this. However the ship was never filmed returning to port with the other ships. Strange no?

The Invincible was not hit by an Argentinian Exocet. That's just propaganda. And it was filmed returning to port. When she returned there was no damage on her, so the Argentinians claimed she was fixed on the way home to hide the damage. Load of rubbish.

Your song is also Argentinian propaganda.

< Message edited by GreyFox -- 8/8/2007 7:36:08 PM >

Brute force solves everything. If you ever find it doesn't, you're not using enough - Anon

(in reply to Terl)
Post #: 151
RE: The Falklands Conflict - 8/8/2007 10:31:37 PM   
7th Somersets

quote:

ORIGINAL: 7th Somersets

Ike 99 - just so that you have some information on war crimes:

A war of aggression is a crime under customary international law and refers to any war waged not out of self-defense or sanctioned by the UN.

..cough*cough* h'Iraq*cough*cough

The legality of the invasion of Iraq depends upon the interpretation of UNSC resolution 1442 and whether the UNSC sanctioned the force used.

I do not offer my opinion on that. It is too far off post (and involves court cases that I have dealt with).

< Message edited by 7th Somersets -- 8/8/2007 11:48:25 PM >

(in reply to GreyFox)
Post #: 152
RE: The Falklands Conflict - 8/8/2007 10:32:59 PM   
7th Somersets

quote:

I note that you have also not bothered to answer any questions about the history of the Falkland Islands BEFORE the Spanish involvement. I wonder why?

Come on Ike 99 - don't be shy.

(in reply to 7th Somersets)
Post #: 153
RE: The Falklands Conflict - 8/8/2007 11:15:15 PM   
Terl

quote:

ORIGINAL: 7th Somersets

quote:

I note that you have also not bothered to answer any questions about the history of the Falkland Islands BEFORE the Spanish involvement. I wonder why?

Because it won't support his arguments? Let's see, first visit in 1690 by the British where it gets named Falkland Islands? Or maybe the later French settlement? Hmm, where to start?

< Message edited by Terl -- 8/8/2007 11:17:44 PM >

(in reply to 7th Somersets)
Post #: 154
RE: The Falklands Conflict - 8/8/2007 11:45:55 PM   
Terminus

No, I'm sure he has a super-secret, argument-winning point he's sitting on...

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to Terl)
Post #: 155
RE: The Falklands Conflict - 8/9/2007 12:17:52 AM   
Hertston

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ike99

Argentina maintains to this day that on the last day of the war a successful exocet attack was launched against (I think) carrier ¨Invincible¨

I think the story is even on the airforce site, I could be wrong though I'll have to check.

But the British denied this. However the ship was never filmed returning to port with the other ships. Strange no?

ROFLMAO !! I'm afraid if you believe Invincible could have been hit by an Exocet and that the whole thing could have been hushed up for twenty five years you really will believe anything! Maybe in the Soviet Navy....

(in reply to Ike99)
Post #: 156
RE: The Falklands Conflict - 8/9/2007 12:21:13 AM   
Terminus

Loonies everywhere... The same sort of folks will say that the Moon landings were filmed on a sound stage in Nevada...

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 157
RE: The Falklands Conflict - 8/9/2007 12:57:14 AM   
anarchyintheuk

I prefer the argument that the Invincibile was actually sunk. The Brits only had to build a replacement in secret and nobody would ever know. [No smiley sarcastic enough].

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 158
RE: The Falklands Conflict - 8/9/2007 1:03:34 AM   
Terminus

A Jiffy-Pop aircraft carrier is always practical...

(in reply to anarchyintheuk)
Post #: 159
RE: The Falklands Conflict - 8/9/2007 1:11:15 AM   
Terl

quote:

ORIGINAL: anarchyintheuk

I prefer the argument that the Invincibile was actually sunk. The Brits only had to build a replacement in secret and nobody would ever know. [No smiley sarcastic enough].

Why, of course it was, and they did...rebuilt it all on the stage used for the fake moon landings.

(in reply to anarchyintheuk)
Post #: 160
RE: The Falklands Conflict - 8/9/2007 1:15:13 AM   
ezzler

From what i remember an ex-girlfriend of mines brother was on invincible... Strange he never mentioned getting hit by anything.
i think the BBC were on invincible too .. and they were / are as anti war as it was / is possible to be . you'd think they might of mentioned it.

Also, on this The Malvinas are ours forever nonsense ,  Argentina claimed the Nueva Lennox Picton Islands as sovereign territory  and they would never ever be allowed to be held by another power { Chilie} and would NEVER be reinquished ever...

This carried on until almost the point of WAR , when suddenly everything was sorted out and all claims settled.
The Beagle conflict.
And I believe Argentina used the argument that the fact the islands are nearer to Chilie is irrelevant as distance does not dictate ownership/ { the exact reverse of their stance on the Falklands}

So there is a possibility it can all be sorted out peacefully {and almost certainly would have been by now had not the Junta made that monumentally stupid decision to invade. But then if you are a Facist , Nationalisitic soloutions always seem to be the answer}

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 161
RE: The Falklands Conflict - 8/9/2007 12:07:29 PM   
PunkReaper

I am surprised about the discussion over who owns the Falkland Islands. I would have thought that with this site consisting of gamers you would all know the rules of island possession, so here is a quick gaming history lession that I hope will clarify the position. In the 15, 16 17 and 18 centuries the European Countries got together to start the game called PLANT THE FLAG. Anyone with a flag could play and any land that the flag was planted into became the property of the flag owner. Advanced rules allowed for trading hence the Falkland Islands are British. By 1800 France was fed up with this game because the industrial revolution in Britain meant that she was mass producing flags so she had clearly won the game. France looked around for a new game and came upon European Conflict which under Napoleon she was very good at. Germany with their esteemed efficiently took the game and made it bigger and better calling it WW1. However the rules were not well thought out resulting in a stalemate. At this time the USA looked over the playground wall and asked to play so she was allowed to join in. Germany took another look at the rules and introduced Blitzkreig which made the came flow a lot better and this game was called WW2. However when the game had already started the USA and Japan were allowed to join. This was a mistake because the USA had obviously been practicing and trounced everyone. While Europe cleaned up after a rather messy game the USA decided to start its own game without the Europeans called COLD WAR. Now Germany was still annoyed that the USA had ruined their last game so they knocked down the Berlin Wall ending the USA's game. Something had to be done so the USA and Europe decided to stop the bickering and play nicely together. The game they started was called GLobal Warming. They were doing nicely, (again the USA was winning) when China and India wanted to join in. More worrying is that lately people who don't even own a flag have started their own game called Global Terrorism claiming that the USA has been playing a solo version of Plant the Flag. I hope this helps to clarify matters and anyone moaning about who owns what should have read the rules earlier.

(in reply to ezzler)
Post #: 162
RE: The Falklands Conflict - 8/9/2007 3:26:56 PM   
Raverdave

Nice one Punk. 

Never argue with an idiot, he will only drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

(in reply to PunkReaper)
Post #: 163
RE: The Falklands Conflict - 8/9/2007 3:39:27 PM   
Ike99

quote:

The Invincible was not hit by an Argentinian Exocet. That's just propaganda. And it was filmed returning to port. When she returned there was no damage on her, so the Argentinians claimed she was fixed on the way home to hide the damage. Load of rubbish.

Oh really?

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Raverdave)
Post #: 164
RE: The Falklands Conflict - 8/9/2007 3:51:11 PM   
Ike99

muuahhh

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Ike99)
Post #: 165
RE: The Falklands Conflict - 8/9/2007 3:55:30 PM   
sprior

Illustrious had Phalanx fitted prior to deployment down south. Don't see any on this pic...

"Grown ups are what's left when skool is finished."
"History started badly and hav been geting steadily worse."
- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to Ike99)
Post #: 166
RE: The Falklands Conflict - 8/9/2007 4:00:28 PM   
Terminus

A claim for a hit painted on the side of an Argentinian aircraft has exactly ZERO credibility... I believe the Germans sank HMS Ark Royal 6 or 7 times during WWII... Before they actually sank her.

You need to get over yourself, Ike99...

< Message edited by Terminus -- 8/9/2007 4:07:31 PM >

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 167
RE: The Falklands Conflict - 8/9/2007 4:12:33 PM   
Ike99

quote:

A claim for a hit painted on the side of an Argentinian aircraft has exactly ZERO credibility... I believe the Germans sank HMS Ark Royal 6 or 7 times during WWII... Before they actually sank her.

The official ¨British¨ version of the attack is there is no ¨official¨ version because no attack took place.

Yet there are plotted attack maps, pictures & video of the attack taking off, refueling and returning, witness testimony, British ship swapping, no registry of aerial activity from that aircraft carrier from May 30, and worse. Two dead Argentine pilots who died in the attack, etc, etc, etc.

Unless of course we killed 2 of our own pilots during the conflict so we could say we attacked Invincible.

So you need to get over yourself Terminus.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 168
RE: The Falklands Conflict - 8/9/2007 4:13:48 PM   
sprior

There are no photos of this Invincible returning from the Falklands. It must have been a replica at Jutland...

Attachment (1)

- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 169
RE: The Falklands Conflict - 8/9/2007 4:14:54 PM   
Terminus

Yeah, or maybe a decoy... A big inflatable look-alike strapped to a fishing trawler!

Just drop it, Ike99, you haven't got a leg to stand on...

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 170
RE: The Falklands Conflict - 8/9/2007 4:16:56 PM   
sprior

quote:

Unless of course we killed 2 of our own pilots during the conflict so we could say we attacked Invincible.

Why not? You threw people out of planes into the sea.

http://www.commondreams.org/headlines05/0420-06.htm

- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to Ike99)
Post #: 171
RE: The Falklands Conflict - 8/9/2007 4:18:32 PM   
sprior

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

Yeah, or maybe a decoy... A big inflatable look-alike strapped to a fishing trawler!

Maybe that's why she sank so quickly. QED.

- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 172
RE: The Falklands Conflict - 8/9/2007 4:21:32 PM   
Terminus

Well, there you have it...

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 173
RE: The Falklands Conflict - 8/9/2007 4:27:11 PM   
Dixie

It's an interesting theory, but not really believable. Did the weatherman tell you this one as well? Where would we have repaired her exactly? An exocet leaves a bloody big hole in an unarmoured ship. And not one of the journalists on board told anyone. Or any of the crew. Or the families of the inevitable casualties. Or the workers who repaired her. Or the companies that supplied equipment and materials to repair her. And the RN decided to cover up the damage to one ship, but not the losses to the other ships?

I could claim to be Lord Lucan, it doesn't make it so....

Here's some authentic Argie footage of the attack
http://youtube.com/watch?v=VYSKWEb_0Ew

HMS Invincible and Illustrious are different lengths...

Invincible is 194m, whilst Illustrious is 209m. Here they are meeting in the South Atlantic sometime in 1983. Invicible didn't return until later as she had to provide air cover to the islands as Stanley was unusable by fast jets.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Dixie -- 8/9/2007 4:48:25 PM >

Bigger boys stole my sig

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 174
RE: The Falklands Conflict - 8/9/2007 4:43:26 PM   
Ike99

quote:

(Cough cough)
Iraqis dead
(Cough cough)
to
(Cough cough)
¨free¨ them
(Cough cough)
aka steal oil
(Cough cough)

So spare me the morality lecture mate.

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 175
RE: The Falklands Conflict - 8/9/2007 4:57:03 PM   
sprior

Not a morality lecture, merely pointing out the flaw in your "unless of course we killed 2 pilots" argument.

By the way, would you care to address the issue of your picture's "Illustrious" missing her Phalanx guns?

- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to Ike99)
Post #: 176
RE: The Falklands Conflict - 8/9/2007 4:58:02 PM   
7th Somersets

quote:

quote:

Still shy I see. Come on Ike 99 - we know that you are here...

Sprior - why would Ike 99 let facts get in the way of a good bit of jingoism?

(in reply to Ike99)
Post #: 177
RE: The Falklands Conflict - 8/9/2007 4:59:01 PM   
Dixie

quote:

ORIGINAL: sprior

By the way, would you care to address the issue of your picture's "Illustrious" missing her Phalanx guns?

No, he would not

Bigger boys stole my sig

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 178
RE: The Falklands Conflict - 8/9/2007 5:01:00 PM   
a white rabbit

quote:

quote:

..edited..

So spare me the morality lecture mate.

..naww, that jus' don't work ol' boy, bad form...

..toodA, irmAb moAs'lyB 'exper'mentin'..,..beàn'tus all..?,

(in reply to Ike99)
Post #: 179
RE: The Falklands Conflict - 8/9/2007 5:06:16 PM   
a white rabbit

quote:

ORIGINAL: Punk Reaper

I am surprised about the discussion over who owns the Falkland Islands. I would have thought that with this site consisting of gamers you would all know the rules of island possession, so here is a quick gaming history lession that I hope will clarify the position. In the 15, 16 17 and 18 centuries the European Countries got together to start the game called PLANT THE FLAG. Anyone with a flag could play and any land that the flag was planted into became the property of the flag owner. Advanced rules allowed for trading hence the Falkland Islands are British. By 1800 France was fed up with this game because the industrial revolution in Britain meant that she was mass producing flags so she had clearly won the game. France looked around for a new game and came upon European Conflict which under Napoleon she was very good at. Germany with their esteemed efficiently took the game and made it bigger and better calling it WW1. However the rules were not well thought out resulting in a stalemate. At this time the USA looked over the playground wall and asked to play so she was allowed to join in. Germany took another look at the rules and introduced Blitzkreig which made the came flow a lot better and this game was called WW2. However when the game had already started the USA and Japan were allowed to join. This was a mistake because the USA had obviously been practicing and trounced everyone. While Europe cleaned up after a rather messy game the USA decided to start its own game without the Europeans called COLD WAR. Now Germany was still annoyed that the USA had ruined their last game so they knocked down the Berlin Wall ending the USA's game. Something had to be done so the USA and Europe decided to stop the bickering and play nicely together. The game they started was called GLobal Warming. They were doing nicely, (again the USA was winning) when China and India wanted to join in. More worrying is that lately people who don't even own a flag have started their own game called Global Terrorism claiming that the USA has been playing a solo version of Plant the Flag. I hope this helps to clarify matters and anyone moaning about who owns what should have read the rules earlier.

.. roflmao..

..very Swiftian..

..toodA, irmAb moAs'lyB 'exper'mentin'..,..beàn'tus all..?,

(in reply to PunkReaper)
Post #: 180
Page:   <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: The Falklands Conflict Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI