Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Comments

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> Tech Support >> Comments Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Comments - 8/9/2007 9:46:50 PM   
grog45

This seems strange to me and happens most of the time when the computer control is winning he sends up a pinch hitter. Now its not like the game is tied or anything. He will be leading by 4 or more runs and he still pinch hits. I have the DH in my league so the pitcher never bats. Its strange too when he's pinch hitting for a right handed hitter who's batting over .300 when a left hander is pitching and he sends up a right handed batter with an average around .211. Most of the time I will only see fireworks when the computer control team is playing at home hits a home run.
I don't have the starter pitcher problem at the moment but my teams are playing their 6th game. I'm getting to enjoy this game more and more because lots of strange things happen and you never know what you will see.
Post #: 1
RE: Comments - 8/10/2007 1:05:57 AM   
KG Erwin

Well, there's the first problem -- you use the DH! Nah, I give you grief for various reasons, but the more you play the more you love it.

As for the use of pinch hitters for seemingly successful pitchers, the AI has gotten more conservative in maintaining a lead. It doesn't consider individual accomplishments -- it just wants to win, and is pretty dang ruthless in doing so. For an AI that doesn't have built-in cheats, I think it's very competent.

(in reply to grog45)
Post #: 2
RE: Comments - 8/10/2007 3:12:09 AM   
Frozen Stiffer

KG : Isn't the excessive (and usually unnecessary) use of pinch-hitters something that Shaun addressed in one of the more recent patches? I can't remember which, but I believe it was in one from the v1.6# series.

"It ain't braggin' if you can do it."

-Hall of Fame pitcher Jerome 'Dizzy' Dean

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 3
RE: Comments - 8/10/2007 9:21:07 AM   
grog45

Thanks for your comments!!!! I think its funny when the computer keeps using Derrell Thomas, an old Padre
player whos batting average is .211 as a pinch hitter instead of letting the other players take their at bat (they are usually hitting well over .300).

(in reply to Frozen Stiffer)
Post #: 4
RE: Comments - 8/10/2007 4:25:00 PM   
motnahp

One thing I've noticed when managing against AI is that the AI tends to almost always (seems like 100%) hit & run with runners on 1st and 3rd and less than two outs.

I thought I could defeat this AI strategy with a pitchout, but the batter still singled and I was faced with a 1st & 3rd again! I cannot make a blanket statement about the pitchout, since I only tried it once. I'll try it a few more times and give better feedback.

In the meantime, I may have to "balance" things out by automatically calling for the H&R when I'm at bat in a similar situation.

(in reply to grog45)
Post #: 5
RE: Comments - 8/10/2007 4:39:55 PM   
KG Erwin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Frozen Stiffer

KG : Isn't the excessive (and usually unnecessary) use of pinch-hitters something that Shaun addressed in one of the more recent patches? I can't remember which, but I believe it was in one from the v1.6# series.

Yes, he did address that. However, now that I'm playing in the World Series, the AI is getting more aggressive with pinch hitters, which is understandable.

(in reply to Frozen Stiffer)
Post #: 6
RE: Comments - 8/10/2007 4:42:55 PM   
KG Erwin

quote:

ORIGINAL: motnahp

One thing I've noticed when managing against AI is that the AI tends to almost always (seems like 100%) hit & run with runners on 1st and 3rd and less than two outs.

I thought I could defeat this AI strategy with a pitchout, but the batter still singled and I was faced with a 1st & 3rd again! I cannot make a blanket statement about the pitchout, since I only tried it once. I'll try it a few more times and give better feedback.

In the meantime, I may have to "balance" things out by automatically calling for the H&R when I'm at bat in a similar situation.

As for calling for the H&R, I use it more often than is probably realistic. Pitchouts are risky if called too often. You end up giving up more walks and base hits.

(in reply to motnahp)
Post #: 7
RE: Comments - 8/10/2007 6:09:17 PM   
Frozen Stiffer

quote:

ORIGINAL: KG Erwin
As for calling for the H&R, I use it more often than is probably realistic. Pitchouts are risky if called too often. You end up giving up more walks and base hits.

I do the same. Especially when there are 2-outs and a runner on 1st and/or 2nd. I figure; why not? What's the worse that can happen?

"It ain't braggin' if you can do it."

-Hall of Fame pitcher Jerome 'Dizzy' Dean

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> Tech Support >> Comments Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI