Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: The Falklands Conflict

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: The Falklands Conflict Page: <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Falklands Conflict - 8/12/2007 3:18:39 PM   
GreyFox

I just checked, Hermes was about to be decommissioned.

Britain was in a bad situation in regards to her economy and even in pride. The Falklands War did a lot to revive the spirits of many there and most of the veterans love Thatcher for holding firm.

Brute force solves everything. If you ever find it doesn't, you're not using enough - Anon

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 271
RE: The Falklands Conflict - 8/12/2007 3:19:18 PM   
Terminus

quote:

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd

Correct. IIRC Hermes was being scrapped. Someone mentioned sold...maybe. I do know this...she wasn't goin to be part of the RN for much longer. So Britain would've been down to 1 carrier and half her air power...not a good start.

The Hermes was sold to India, as the Viraat.

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 272
RE: The Falklands Conflict - 8/12/2007 3:38:40 PM   
a white rabbit

quote:

ORIGINAL: GreyFox

I just checked, Hermes was about to be decommissioned.

Britain was in a bad situation in regards to her economy and even in pride. The Falklands War did a lot to revive the spirits of many there and most of the veterans love Thatcher for holding firm.

..yahh, when things at home are shakey, create a quick war against a weak enemy, you were lucky she didn't want to invade Ireland... again.....

..some of us were happy with a very English non-police state ..

..toodA, irmAb moAs'lyB 'exper'mentin'..,..beàn'tus all..?,

(in reply to GreyFox)
Post #: 273
RE: The Falklands Conflict - 8/12/2007 3:43:34 PM   
a white rabbit

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dixie

quote:

ORIGINAL: a white rabbit

..errrrrrrrr.......

..i mean are they realllllly worth fighting over, wellll except the oil and stuff that comes with sea and the antartic bit attached..

It's not about the islands per se, but the wishes of the inhabitants who live there.

...ROFLMAO...

..nb, CAPS LOCK..

..mind you, you might be serious...

just in case...

..ROFLMAO

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 274
RE: The Falklands Conflict - 8/12/2007 3:45:21 PM   
a white rabbit

quote:

ORIGINAL: GreyFox

quote:

ORIGINAL: a white rabbit

quote:

Ike99

You buggers hit the Falklands at a time when Britain pretty much had their trousers down.

..total rubbish..

Actually it's not rubbish. Invincible was up for sale and so was the Hermes I believe. Only the Argentinians invading the Falklands prevented the sales. Likewise there were major cutbacks being made in the military budget. The outcome of the war was very much in doubt and right up until the end it was a tossup over who would win. Your hypothesis that Thatcher wanted the war to boslter her government just doesn't hold any water.

Read some balanced accounts of the war to get a genuine picture of what happened. Hell, even Wikipedia might help you.

.. what can i say?..read what you wrote and/ or ..

..Read some balanced accounts of the war to get a genuine picture of what was going on and therefore why the war..

..that the result may have been in doubt is another discussion. The reasons are separate.

..go on my little Thatcher apologist, explain why , given everything you've said, and, as i've informed you before,
quote:

the last Brit btn was removed at a time of high Argentinian rhetoric
this wasn't just a come on, that quite coincidentally fit the UN rules of engagement ...

< Message edited by a white rabbit -- 8/12/2007 4:07:30 PM >

(in reply to GreyFox)
Post #: 275
RE: The Falklands Conflict - 8/12/2007 3:47:55 PM   
a white rabbit

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dixie

quote:

As for wanting the war, I'm not sure. But it didn't half do her political career a shed load of good. There's no such thing as a bad war which is won for a politician on their way out.

Indeed, Mrs Thatcher is highly regarded my most of the veterans as well.  I was on the Falklands 25 parade and right at the end, outside Buckingham Palace after the TV coverage finished (I think, I didn't see the TV) there were shouts of 'Three Cheers for Maggie' from every one of the veterans contingents.

..and i was on the anti pole-tax marches..

..now wt was it the kids were chanting....

..and how many were we across the country......

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 276
RE: The Falklands Conflict - 8/12/2007 3:53:37 PM   
Ike99

quote:

GreyFox-The Falklands War did a lot to revive the spirits of many there and most of the veterans love Thatcher for holding firm.

Do they love her for defending Pinochet too? I mean he was only a Brutal dictator who killed 50,000 people who face war crime extradition charges in
several countries including 35 from Spain alone. Yes that`s Thatcher, always defending the people.

quote:

GreyFox-..i mean are they realllllly worth fighting over, wellll except the oil and stuff that comes with sea and the antartic bit attached..

Yes there has always been a problem with Brits and reading maps. I guess that's why they recently, ¨accidentaly¨ slipped across into Iranian waters. But on the Anartic, here is a map for them to study so they don`t make anymore ¨accidents¨. Sorry your too late. Unless of course you think you can by force eject Argentina settlements again under the eyes of the worlds cameras.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to a white rabbit)
Post #: 277
RE: The Falklands Conflict - 8/12/2007 4:08:57 PM   
a white rabbit

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ike99

quote:

GreyFox-The Falklands War did a lot to revive the spirits of many there and most of the veterans love Thatcher for holding firm.

Do they love her for defending Pinochet too? I mean he was only a Brutal dictator who killed 50,000 people who face war crime extradition charges in
several countries including 35 from Spain alone. Yes that`s Thatcher, always defending the people.

quote:

GreyFox-..i mean are they realllllly worth fighting over, wellll except the oil and stuff that comes with sea and the antartic bit attached..

Yes there has always been a problem with Brits and reading maps. I guess that's why they recently, ¨accidentaly¨ slipped across into Iranian waters. But on the Anartic, here is a map for them to study so they don`t make anymore ¨accidents¨. Sorry your too late. Unless of course you think you can by force eject Argentina settlements again under the eyes of the worlds cameras.

i'm not argueing here, nice expanse of sea bed, bugger the Argies

< Message edited by a white rabbit -- 8/12/2007 4:09:49 PM >

(in reply to Ike99)
Post #: 278
RE: The Falklands Conflict - 8/12/2007 4:30:26 PM   
ezzler

The good all 'it was all Thatchers idea argument.'
Pathetic...

FDR knew about Pearl Harbour
JFK was klled by the mlitary for wanting to quit Vietnam
Churchill allowed Coventry to bombed to protect  Enigma
G Bush personally planted explosives in the twin towers because he hates Saddam

Its all true man .. you gotta believe me  ... I know ..
I know more than anyone .. its just obvious man ..
There never was a USSR , it was all a hoax to raise taxes .. that's why you couldn't go there man..
Roswell .. its all true .. Cheyney is an Alien man . just look at him..

Facts .. i dont facts .. I got insight and speculation and heresay .. they're more real than facts man .. you can prove Anything with facts.

Thatcher .. she paid the Junta wth poll tax money  from her own people to kill her own soldiers ..All the time she was married to Regan..

The Nixon who went to China came back as a robot man .. just look at his arms .. they dont even bend..

Carter .. the CIA set him up .. He was a patsy for the tentacles of the secret empire.. * sniff *

Marilyn Munroe .. yeah the goverment killed her in that car crash with Jane Russell and Princess Di ..* uh oh getting confused again * sometimes my ears just like talk to me *

And right now Arsenal just beat lowly Fulham in the Last minute of play

Its all a conspiracy

You must believe me .. I am your father Luke I AM YOUR FATHER  I am YOUR FATHER !!!!

Post #: 279
RE: The Falklands Conflict - 8/12/2007 4:31:41 PM   
Banquet

Is that an SU-30 you keep posting pictures of Ike? Or is it another one of your brand new Argentinian designed aircraft that co-incidentally look remarkably similar to other designs?

I only ask because, if Argentina didn't design it, and if they don't have any in their airforce.. what is their relevance here? Maybe I should post up pictures of a British X-Wing?

Post #: 280
RE: The Falklands Conflict - 8/12/2007 4:33:11 PM   
Banquet

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Banquet)
Post #: 281
RE: The Falklands Conflict - 8/12/2007 4:36:27 PM   
ezzler

I TOLD YOU , I AM YOUR FATHER !!!!!!

(in reply to Banquet)
Post #: 282
RE: The Falklands Conflict - 8/12/2007 4:43:54 PM   
a white rabbit

quote:

ORIGINAL: ezz

Pathetic...

Churchill allowed Coventry to bombed to protect Enigma

Its all true man .. you gotta believe me ... I know ..
There never was a USSR , it was all a hoax to raise taxes .. that's why you couldn't go there man..

Facts .. i dont facts .. I got insight and speculation and heresay .. they're more real than facts man .. you can prove Anything with facts.

Thatcher .. she paid the Junta wth poll tax money from her own people to kill her own soldiers ..All the time she was married to Regan..

The Nixon who went to China came back as a robot man .. just look at his arms .. they dont even bend..

Carter .. the CIA set him up .. He was a patsy for the tentacles of the secret empire.. * sniff *

Marilyn Munroe .. yeah the goverment killed her in that car crash with Jane Russell and Princess Di ..* uh oh getting confused again * sometimes my ears just like talk to me *

Its all a conspiracy

You must believe me .. I am your father Luke I AM YOUR FATHER I am YOUR FATHER !!!!

..you on drugs or what ?

..this is a t3 board, we may do drugs but we're still coherent..

(in reply to ezzler)
Post #: 283
RE: The Falklands Conflict - 8/12/2007 5:21:38 PM   
Hartford688

quote:

ORIGINAL: Banquet

Is that an SU-30 you keep posting pictures of Ike? Or is it another one of your brand new Argentinian designed aircraft that co-incidentally look remarkably similar to other designs?

I only ask because, if Argentina didn't design it, and if they don't have any in their airforce.. what is their relevance here? Maybe I should post up pictures of a British X-Wing?

They do have SU-29 aerobatic planes...pretty close...

SU-29

< Message edited by Hartford688 -- 8/12/2007 5:24:41 PM >

(in reply to Banquet)
Post #: 284
RE: The Falklands Conflict - 8/12/2007 5:30:26 PM   
LarryP

quote:

ORIGINAL: ezz

Pathetic...

Churchill allowed Coventry to bombed to protect Enigma

Its all true man .. you gotta believe me ... I know ..

Thatcher .. she paid the Junta wth poll tax money from her own people to kill her own soldiers ..All the time she was married to Regan..

Its all a conspiracy

You must believe me .. I am your father Luke I AM YOUR FATHER I am YOUR FATHER !!!!

WOW! Take me to your leader!

(in reply to ezzler)
Post #: 285
RE: The Falklands Conflict - 8/12/2007 5:36:02 PM   
7th Somersets

quote:

They do have SU-29 aerobatic planes...pretty close...

British Euro fighter. Euro Fighter. JaJaJa!!! What a joke!

(in reply to Hartford688)
Post #: 286
RE: The Falklands Conflict - 8/12/2007 6:26:46 PM   
Cap Mandrake

One clever thing I recall was TV coverage of a British unit boarding a cruiseliner in England at the start of the conflict. A military band was playing "Don't cry for me Argentina" as they boarded

That the plan was devised as a tail wagging the dog strategy to divert attention from domestic Argentinian issues there is no doubt, but the question I have is..who in the Argentine decision-making hierarchy could have possibly believed the Brits would let such a profound national insult stand? Did they really think they could win, eventually? Did they expect they could negotiate after taking the islands by force?

The other thing of interest was the US press coverage at the time. The Exocet was portrayed as being the death nell for all aircraft carriers. This was at a time of Reagan's big naval buildup
to a 600 ship Navy, including new carriers, of course. The success of the Exocet was seized upon by opponents of military spending as a sign that we should spend the money on God knows what..but not on carriers as they could all be sunk by any tinpot dictatorship with a couple of Cessnas and some Excocets.

The actual lesson should have been the opposite. Jump carriers with really cool, but short-legged Sea Harriers and the absence of long range airborne radar meant the Royal Navy could not protect the landing operations very well without putting the carriers in mortal peril. My guess is a USN operation to retake the Falklands would have involved 10 SSN's and 3 carrier battle groups. The mainland Argentine airfields would have been blitzed with about half the USN Tomahawk inventory some night and the carriers would have parked somewhere near the islands to cover the landing with F-14's pushed up to a couple of dozen miles off the Argie coast and Hawkeyes in the air 24 hrs a day. The New Jersey might even have showed up to keep everyone's head down.

BTW..those Argie A-4 pilots had brass ones.

BTW (again)..re Tomahawks. Didn't the RN have any at the time with conventiinal HE? Anyone know?

Just found out..first Tomahawks to the RN in 1995

< Message edited by Cap Mandrake -- 8/12/2007 6:31:16 PM >

(in reply to GreyFox)
Post #: 287
RE: The Falklands Conflict - 8/12/2007 6:39:17 PM   
7th Somersets

Cap Mandrake,

I agree the Argy pilots did have balls - being shot down over the South Atlantic was not a good fate - and many brave men simply disappeared.

Re Tomahawks - we did not have them (then!). Obviously we do now (having recently visited the 'bombshop' on a T Class sub I can vouch for that personally)

As has previously been pointed out - Britain's planned carrier fleet will involve bigger platforms for better power projection. No doubt with potential conflicts like the Falklands in mind.
I agree with your assessment of a US response to a similar incident. But then - they would have to be pretty daft to try.

Why would the Argentinians think that Britain would turn the other cheek? Well, perhaps they paid too much attention to some of the views that you have seen expressed in this Forum by some contributors. There is a vocal minority in the UK who would happily give up everything without so much as a boo! When I recently toured the Normandy battlefields with a group of vets - there were some tears for their friends left behind - but also anger that Chamberlain did not stop the German's and prevent the vast slaughter that followed.

< Message edited by 7th Somersets -- 8/13/2007 10:53:07 PM >

(in reply to Cap Mandrake)
Post #: 288
RE: The Falklands Conflict - 8/12/2007 6:44:45 PM   
JudgeDredd

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cap Mandrake
That the plan was devised as a tail wagging the dog strategy to divert attention from domestic Argentinian issues there is no doubt, but the question I have is..who in the Argentine decision-making hierarchy could have possibly believed the Brits would let such a profound national insult stand? Did they really think they could win, eventually? Did they expect they could negotiate after taking the islands by force?

As I mentioned earlier Cap Mandrake, Britain, financially, militarily and politically was in a bad way.

I reckon the Argentinian Junta of the time made a calculated guess that the British would not be able to launch a task force of any credible size, nevermind in the time scale required.

I reckon they thought it would take Britain quite some time to get a task force together and it wouldn't be enough anyway. Also, I think they were hoping that, in this time, the solution would be found politically in the UN.

Lets be brutally honest here...the Junta were in a state. They needed the Falklands back under the Argentinian flag. Now that we understand that was the case, it makes sense to assume that when they took them, they meant to keep them. Now that we understand that, we can see that by using their least capable units, recruits and conscripts, they clearly thought we wouldn't show up and, even if we did, it would be too late because the UN would've sorted it out and, should worst come to worst and they had to fight, the British forces would be too weak and too outnumbered to perform the task they had been assigned.

I truly believe they thought it would be sorted out at the political level within the UN and if not, Britain was too week to do anything about it. The fact that Britain had ammassed a major task force within a week, completely threw them and they were buggered from that point.

As for Maggie. I didn't like her much. She made some extremely poor desicions in her time as PM...but she had more balls than some of the arses who have succeeded her! I'll give her that. Her main failing was to not to listen....not to listen to the people, and not to listen to her advisors. There are times (The Falklands Conflict was one) where people need to stand up and hold strong and she did that...trouble was, she did it with avery decision she ever made!

Alba gu' brath

Post #: 289
RE: The Falklands Conflict - 8/12/2007 7:12:35 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cap Mandrake

As I mentioned earlier Cap Mandrake, Britain, financially, militarily and politically was in a bad way.

I reckon the Argentinian Junta of the time made a calculated guess that the British would not be able to launch a task force of any credible size, nevermind in the time scale required.

I reckon they thought it would take Britain quite some time to get a task force together and it wouldn't be enough anyway. Also, I think they were hoping that, in this time, the solution would be found politically in the UN.

Lets be brutally honest here...the Junta were in a state. They needed the Falklands back under the Argentinian flag. Now that we understand that was the case, it makes sense to assume that when they took them, they meant to keep them. Now that we understand that, we can see that by using their least capable units, recruits and conscripts, they clearly thought we wouldn't show up and, even if we did, it would be too late because the UN would've sorted it out and, should worst come to worst and they had to fight, the British forces would be too weak and too outnumbered to perform the task they had been assigned.

I truly believe they thought it would be sorted out at the political level within the UN and if not, Britain was too week to do anything about it. The fact that Britain had ammassed a major task force within a week, completely threw them and they were buggered from that point.

As for Maggie. I didn't like her much. She made some extremely poor desicions in her time as PM...but she had more balls than some of the arses who have succeeded her! I'll give her that. Her main failing was to not to listen....not to listen to the people, and not to listen to her advisors. There are times (The Falklands Conflict was one) where people need to stand up and hold strong and she did that...trouble was, she did it with avery decision she ever made!

Yes, I suppose it is possible they underestimated British resolve and capabilities. There is a historical precedent for that kind of thing. Somebody thought it was a good idea to bomb Pearl Harbor.

I liked Thatcher One of my favorite Thatcherisms is when she reportedly told Reagan during some face off with the Soviets..."this is no time go wobbly"

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 290
RE: The Falklands Conflict - 8/12/2007 7:15:04 PM   
Terminus

Funny how people always think Britain isn't going to do anything...

Post #: 291
RE: The Falklands Conflict - 8/12/2007 9:13:57 PM   
Dixie

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

Funny how people always think Britain isn't going to do anything...

We give that impression, but then fight like hell once things actually kick off *

* We have to wait until after afternoon tea, and anyone who interupts that is in for a kicking.....

Bigger boys stole my sig

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 292
RE: The Falklands Conflict - 8/12/2007 9:17:04 PM   
Terminus

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 293
RE: The Falklands Conflict - 8/12/2007 9:23:35 PM   
Dixie

quote:

WHAT does that have to do with the Falkland Islands? I would love to know....

If we are going to bring up Britain's colonial past, and Chilean dictators which have nothing to do with the Falklands......Maybe the Argentine people loved their government for the alleaged harbouring of Nazi war criminals post war?

Bigger boys stole my sig

(in reply to Ike99)
Post #: 294
RE: The Falklands Conflict - 8/12/2007 9:30:34 PM   
Dixie

Why would the RAF care that Argentina has 90's tech Soviet fighters, which are in turn based on a 70's design? The Typhoon was designed to take on Soviet stuff.

Attachment (1)

Bigger boys stole my sig

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 295
RE: The Falklands Conflict - 8/12/2007 10:05:37 PM   
Terminus

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 296
RE: The Falklands Conflict - 8/13/2007 12:15:31 AM   
Ike99

quote:

You know the proposed Argentine fighter does look very similiar to a Euro Fighter. Not suprising. I think it's a Argentine/German project. You ever seen it? Almost identical actually.

quote:

but short-legged Sea Harriers and the absence of long range airborne radar meant the Royal Navy could not protect the landing operations very well without putting the carriers in mortal peril. My guess is a USN operation to retake the Falklands would have involved 10 SSN's and 3 carrier battle groups.

Argentina wouldn´t last 3 seconds against the USA. No one would...yet. Maybe the Chinese eventually. The first time around we lost to the US Air missile. Not the British pilots. Yes, No Airborne radar hurt the Brits a lot.

quote:

I agree the Argy pilots did have balls - being shot down over the South Atlantic was not a good fate - and many brave men simply dissapeared.

But maybe something good comes from this thread....
Would it sell?

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Ike99 -- 8/13/2007 12:16:00 AM >

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 297
RE: The Falklands Conflict - 8/13/2007 12:23:38 AM   
Terminus

You know, no matter how much I search, I can find no evidence that the Argentinian air force operates Su-30's. The only operator in South America is "Loony" Chavez' air force up in Venezuela.

(in reply to Ike99)
Post #: 298
RE: The Falklands Conflict - 8/13/2007 12:35:03 AM   
Banquet

This site details Argentine aircraft lost.

On a quick count about a dozen to sidewinders. The rest to ground fire, bombing, cannon and SAMs.

The AIM-9L helped us a lot but in my opinion there was still only going to be one result. We did manage to bring our own designed and built ships and aircraft. What did Argentina have that wasn't foreign made? Canberra, Mirage, Skyhawk, Exocet? The Navy?

quote:

The first time around we lost to the US Air missile. Not the British pilots.

(in reply to Ike99)
Post #: 299
RE: The Falklands Conflict - 8/13/2007 12:40:45 AM   
Hertston

quote:

But maybe something good comes from this thread....
Would it sell?

Erm... "Fight for the Arctic"?!! Who was it that was supposed to be bad at reading maps? Or maybe Argentinian 'territorial waters' extend to the Greenland Sea these days?

There is a PC Falklands wargame, , The Falklands War . Similar gameplay to HttR/CotA only at a smaller scale. Just don't expect much in the way of graphics.

(in reply to Ike99)
Post #: 300
Page:   <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: The Falklands Conflict Page: <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI