Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Review @ Out of Eight

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> Guns of August 1914 - 1918 >> RE: Review @ Out of Eight Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Review @ Out of Eight - 8/12/2007 12:22:59 PM   
SMK-at-work

quote:

ORIGINAL: PDiFolco

quote:

ORIGINAL: SMK-at-work

He gives it more than I give FPS's...

Clearly he's not a wargamer - and yet he still manages to give it 5/8....I'm impressed that he recognises some good points, and curious what as to what he thinks should be the sound effects for a grand strategy game.....

Untrue - he has played and reviewed all major and minor wargames out there since 2 years at OutOf8, and had played wargames since very long ago.

Doesn't make him a wargameer - I shoot arrows, and I'm no archer!! :)

quote:

It looks like he doesn't like much micromanaging hundreds of units, but neither do I and I'm also a wargamer...

No-one does much - but then this game doesn't actually have much of it, despite his review.

(in reply to PDiFolco)
Post #: 31
RE: Review @ Out of Eight - 8/12/2007 12:30:05 PM   
Noakesy

Personally I think the manual is the problem with the game, and that is referred to in the review. If the manual explained the game in more depth then you wouldn't find yourself spending time trying to figure out why certain things do/don't work (or get a few turns into the game and found you've made a mistake that means you might as well restart).

I don't think this is a 'micro-management' game, just pitched at the right level (IMO). Just think of some of those games with 100s of 'counters', that have to be moved one at a time. However, everyone has their own preference in this respect.

(in reply to SMK-at-work)
Post #: 32
RE: Review @ Out of Eight - 8/12/2007 1:57:19 PM   
EUBanana

In fairness he did give TOAW 7 out of 8, and I dunno if I'd want to play TOAW, that looks like WITP on land. 

(in reply to Noakesy)
Post #: 33
RE: Review @ Out of Eight - 8/12/2007 4:36:01 PM   
Moltke71

7/8 for FoF but he thinks - from comments here- that GoA has too much micro-management? Ohhh, puleeaasse

Jim Cobb

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 34
RE: Review @ Out of Eight - 8/12/2007 4:53:03 PM   
MorningDew

quote:

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd

Here's my review....Damn good fun.

Now that's an accurate review!

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 35
RE: Review @ Out of Eight - 8/12/2007 6:09:55 PM   
axeman109

quote:

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd

Here's my review....Damn good fun.

Ditto. How often do we get a strategic level game that's just plain fun to play? I found GGWAW just fun too. HOI, WITP, FOF are all great games IMO, they just take much more effort (and time). With a 3 year old time isn't something I have a lot of so this game fits right in for me.

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 36
RE: Review @ Out of Eight - 8/12/2007 11:51:19 PM   
Lascar

Iv'e been a wargamer since 1968. GoA has captured the feeling of the classic boardgames of my youth. It plays like, and has the feel of, the best of the old AH and SPI games but has the advantage of computer assisted bookkeeping that used to be done with tracks and charts. Frank Hunter understands what it takes to make a game an historical simulation (wargame) and not just a strategy game with a bit of period chrome.

GoA has what it takes to become a classic.

Lascar

(in reply to axeman109)
Post #: 37
RE: Review @ Out of Eight - 8/14/2007 2:32:18 AM   
Bossy573

Ah, disappointing review but who really cares. I have long since learned that Wargames are judged on different merits than mainstream PC games.
The Wargamer has a review coming along soon. That one will carry a little more weight with me.

(in reply to Lascar)
Post #: 38
RE: Review @ Out of Eight - 8/14/2007 5:19:13 AM   
06 Maestro

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bossy573

The Wargamer has a review coming along soon. That one will carry a little more weight with me.

I hope they wait until after the patch...

(in reply to Bossy573)
Post #: 39
RE: Review @ Out of Eight - 8/14/2007 6:50:43 AM   
Bossy573

quote:

ORIGINAL: 06 Maestro

I hope they wait until after the patch...

I think I read in their forums that the author has already submitted the review and it is next up.

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 40
RE: Review @ Out of Eight - 8/14/2007 8:52:39 AM   
morvwilson

Gota agree with Judgedread here, damn good fun!

As far as why the general public does not seem to get the word on these type of games? I think that these games require too much mental effort for most people. When I was a kid we used to do jigsaw puzzles on the kitchen table. (only 3 or 4 chanels of tv were available through the rabbit ears!) I view most war games as an extension of the jigsaw puzzle days. Just a little more complexity!

95% of them I think are great fun!

But, complaining about micromanagement!? Anyone remember the old Starfire campaign game?

(in reply to Bossy573)
Post #: 41
RE: Review @ Out of Eight - 8/14/2007 2:58:49 PM   
Moltke71

You want to talk about micro-management?  Check out SPI/Richard Berg's old North Africa monster game!  These kids have no idea what micromanagement is!

Jim Cobb

(in reply to morvwilson)
Post #: 42
RE: Review @ Out of Eight - 8/14/2007 3:38:55 PM   
06 Maestro

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bismarck

You want to talk about micro-management?  Check out SPI/Richard Berg's old North Africa monster game!  These kids have no idea what micromanagement is!

I have Kursk by SPI-it took true devotion to play through. I still have it in thr attic; with all the pieces, but no rule book.

(in reply to Moltke71)
Post #: 43
RE: Review @ Out of Eight - 8/14/2007 3:59:46 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

This is true...

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Moltke71)
Post #: 44
RE: Review @ Out of Eight - 8/14/2007 6:46:06 PM   
Cyrano~

As per my opinion of the game I couldn't care less about any review at this point. I read the posts of the people of this forum, figured they had an interest in history and wargaming like myself and took the plunge to my immense satisfaction.
My guess is that everyone who's already playing this fantastic game feels pretty much the same and those who will purchase it will enjoy it enormously as well.
Having said all that I do hope it gets the reviews it deserves so that players who may not frequent these forums or necessarily follow wargaming in general take a close look at this title and help it's sales.
Thanks to all the players who "reviewed" it before me.

< Message edited by Cyrano~ -- 8/14/2007 6:47:46 PM >

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 45
RE: Review @ Out of Eight - 8/14/2007 11:30:19 PM   
Noakesy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins
quote:

This is true...

Absolutely right - this isn't 'micro-management' this is a proper war game - well done.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 46
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> Guns of August 1914 - 1918 >> RE: Review @ Out of Eight Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI