Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Unusual request re: saved game vs. computer

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Unusual request re: saved game vs. computer Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Unusual request re: saved game vs. computer - 8/17/2007 8:43:47 AM   
toonces

Hi all,
I don't post here to much, but I have an unusual request from someone who's played quite a bit; a vet's opinion would be appreciated.

I'm playing the scenario that starts in May 42, vs. the AI as the Allies. I've been playing this campaign off and on for about 7-10 months.

I had previously played the 'grand campaign' from the bloody beginning, but lost my save, so started this game since it's about where I was when I left off, although I was doing better than the scenario left me in. Anyway...

I've been playing quite a few turns just lately, and I think I've beaten the computer. I'm in March 43, and I think I've reached the point where this is going to simply be a matter of time and attrition. What I mean is that I think I've beaten the Japanese to the point where the outcome of a victory for the Allies, barring some really stupid play on my part, is pretty much a given. Of course, I can't see the Japanese OOB, so I can't be sure if I have the AI on the ropes, or if the computer has the potential to spank me good still.

What my request is, then, is for someone to take a look at my latest saved game from the Allied and Jap point of view, and let me know, in their opinion, if I've got the Japs beat, or if this campaign is worth pursuing for a bit longer. As you all know, this game takes ALOT of time, and I'd be disappointed to invest another year in this game to realize that the conclusion was decided already.

Thank you very much for any help in this matter.
Vr,
Mike
Post #: 1
RE: Unusual request re: saved game vs. computer - 8/17/2007 10:59:49 PM   
VSWG

I would do it, but I have replaced stock WitP with a mod, so I can't run your savegame. Why don't you just tell us how many capital ships have been sunk so far (on both sides), what bases you have conquered and some numbers about plane losses? That should allow us to judge whether the AI can still put up a fight or not.

Although the answer will be most likely 'No'.

< Message edited by VSWG -- 8/17/2007 11:00:09 PM >

(in reply to toonces)
Post #: 2
RE: Unusual request re: saved game vs. computer - 8/18/2007 1:01:54 AM   
toonces

Ok, we can try this. I forgot to mention I think that I'm playing stock WITP with the 1.8 patch.

For US:
Sorties 4000/turn
Bases 160
A/c pts lost 2222
Army pts lost 1803
Ships sunk 102/ 1901 pts
Total score 19370

For Jap:
Sorties 2500/turn
Bases 292
A/c pts lost 5585
Army pts lost 1108
Ship sunk 569/ 5635 pts
Total score 26354

Ship losses US:
1 CV
1 CVE
3 CA
3 BB
19 DD

Ship losses Jap:
3 CV
3 BB
3 CA
7 CL
46 DD

I also severely damaged at least one other Jap CV, and crippled about 10 BB's that were docked at Rabaul. I don' t know their repair status.

Bases I control:
Guadalcanal, Pt. Moresby, Gili Gili. I have Guadalcanal built up that between it and Moresby I have rendered Rabaul untenable for the Japs. He can't put any ships in port, nor planes in the air; anything that moves in the Solomons gets killed by LBA.

Just captured Maloelep, Majuro and once shortly will render Kwajelein untenable with bombers and fighters.

In China/Burma: Akyab, Andamans; anything that moves in or out of Rangoon gets hit with LBA. Pakhoi, Haiphong, Hanoi, working on Canton (230,000 troops vs. 130,000 Jap).

The invasion of Maloelep is what prompted this post. It was opposed, but not vigorously. I had a sighting of Jap CV's in Kwajelein port, but they didn't attack. I lost a handful of AK's/AP's but nothing excessive and now that I have the runway repaired, anything that moves in the Gilberts is going to get sunk.

Having not played the campaign through before, I don't know what capacity the Japanse AI has for a counter-offensive. It seems to me that I've gutted his AK fleet and with my CV's coming online more and more, in addition to my strong LBA, I don't think the computer can regain the initiative.

Then again, I haven't the victory points yet to claim victory, and that might be the whole point anyway.

Thanks,
Toonces

< Message edited by toonces -- 8/18/2007 1:03:52 AM >

(in reply to VSWG)
Post #: 3
RE: Unusual request re: saved game vs. computer - 8/18/2007 2:30:55 AM   
VSWG

In theory the IJN has enough stuff left to put up a fight, and you haven't cracked the inner defense perimeter yet. The AI's script provides for a tough defense (at least in terms of ground troops) in the Marianas and the DEI (Java for instance), so maybe you should attack there and see how the AI handles the situation. OTOH, it's only May 1942, and I don't know if these areas will be already heavily fortified. Just don't expect the AI to use its planes and ships in a sensible manner, their actions can't be explicitly scripted. Regardind "counter-offensives" and "AI  initiative" - don't expect any, at least not in a strategic sense. Tactical counter-attacks maybe, but on a strategic level such actions cannot be scipted in advance. So my suggestion would be to play on until you've successfully completed your first major landing operation against a heavily fortified target. After that, it's going to be 'rinse and repeat' against the AI.

At that point you'll want to start looking for a PBEM opponent, that's were the true fun is...

In general, the AI script will set up a defense similar to the real WW2, and expects you to attack using the same general strategies as the Allies did in the war. The more you deviate from WW2 strategies, the less likely it is that the AI can handle the situation. So the AI will be more or less able to deal with Allied offensives in SWPac, CentPac and Burma, but will falter quickly if you go the northern route, or invade Japan directly. At least that's what I've heard, I haven't played against the AI past Feb. 1942. 

(in reply to toonces)
Post #: 4
RE: Unusual request re: saved game vs. computer - 8/18/2007 10:23:22 AM   
toonces

Thanks VSWG.

I was thinking something along the same lines, namely that the bulk of the game is going to be recovering those 7000 victory points and then getting ahead a bit.  Obviously as the US, I should expect the war to start swinging my way as my reinforcements start to flow for real.

I'm concerned, though, that I'm going to find unopposed landings every 3 months as I work my way to the Japanese homeland, but it sounds like the AI should be prepared for this and I can expect stiffer resistance as I get closer.  I know the computer sortied his carriers to oppose my landing at Maloelep, even though I never did get in engagement range with my own CV's.

I'll keep at it.  I'd still be interested in hearing some other thoughts though regarding the AI performance.  I'm fine with following a more or less historical campaign although so far I am way ahead of the schedule that actually occurred in WW2.

(in reply to VSWG)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Unusual request re: saved game vs. computer Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI