Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Alls Quiet on the GoA Front?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> Guns of August 1914 - 1918 >> Alls Quiet on the GoA Front? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Alls Quiet on the GoA Front? - 8/17/2007 10:22:36 PM   
uncc

Very few posts today...everyone must be waiting for the patch

< Message edited by uncc -- 8/17/2007 10:23:54 PM >

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once -- David Hume, Scottish philosopher (1711 - 1776)
Post #: 1
RE: Alls Quiet on the GoA Front? - 8/17/2007 10:24:55 PM   
Cyrano~

I know I am. Just finished a game and waiting impatiently for the patch to start a new one.

(in reply to uncc)
Post #: 2
RE: Alls Quiet on the GoA Front? - 8/17/2007 10:31:16 PM   
Rob Brennan UK

Ditto ... really really loving this game right now

sorry for the spelling . English is my main language , I just can't type . and i'm too lazy to edit :)

(in reply to Cyrano~)
Post #: 3
RE: Alls Quiet on the GoA Front? - 8/18/2007 12:11:56 AM   
EUBanana

Been too busy conquering to post.  France, Italy, Greece, Belgium, Romania and Russia were all subject to the beneficent rule of ze Kaiser!

(in reply to Rob Brennan UK)
Post #: 4
RE: Alls Quiet on the GoA Front? - 8/18/2007 12:57:00 AM   
SteveD64

Started a new game this week and so far have gotten to the end of 1915 as the CP.  Decided to go on a balls out Eastern front knockout.

Plan:  Polish Russia juts out in a Kursk like salient and so there I would strike.  I took every German HQ and all but one Austrian (left one against the Serbs) and concentrated them against the Russians.  Destination was Brest-Litovsk, Warsaw and Riga.

Result: Blitzkrieg!  I trapped the Russians in Poland and the Germans and Austrians joined hands in Brest-L.  The AI was interesting in that instead of sitting around Lodz and waiting to be destroyed it actually fell back towards freedom in what I guess was a breakout attempt- not sure if the AI realized what was happening or what.  It almost succeeded but I closed the ring tightly and eliminated the Polish pocket.  The West was quiet.

After regrouping I struck at Riga and took it.  Russia is now "weak".  I wish I could say the same thing about France.  During my Riga campaign all hell broke loose and I'm hanging on by a field gray thread in Western Germany.  Metz is surrounded and doomed unless I start sending activated HQ's back to the west.  I bought some gas and will use that in my counterattack to relieve Metz. 

Serbia is doomed to fall- I've got the Bulgars on the warpath.

Basra has fallen to Perfidious Albion and there's no sign of Italy or Romania.  The US is dangerously close to war though (active uboats I guess).

Decision:  Retake the iniative on the Western Front or go for the Russian knockout.  Hm.

(in reply to EUBanana)
Post #: 5
RE: Alls Quiet on the GoA Front? - 8/18/2007 1:12:19 AM   
EUBanana

Get Russia in a state of revolution before you pull out of there.  If they are weak then they must be almost there, one more push!

I wouldn't worry too much about the Frogs, in my east first strategy they got as far as Strasbourg, let alone Metz, but I still hammered them all the way back to Paris. 

The AI was schooled by Marshal Foch I think, it is rather unsparing with mens lives, the Frogs will be bled out if you offer them a stiff defence.

And the AI seems pretty poor at running any British Ottoman campaigns, I've never seen the British AI ever do a damn thing there.  Sometimes it takes Basra, but when it does it doesnt proceed any further, and wait long enough and it'll evacuate Basra again.

(in reply to SteveD64)
Post #: 6
RE: Alls Quiet on the GoA Front? - 8/18/2007 1:26:46 AM   
SteveD64

The French front is getting desperate!  I have no corps over 11 strength.  I also lost a battle that was practically even (54 to 52) that surprised the hell out of me and kinda gave me the willies.  I even saved a screenshot of it I was so surprised (I have no idea on how to post the picture though).

It will take nerves of steel in the West.  Need another beer.   uh oh, I'm drinking Negra Modelo (Mexican beer)-  sounds like the Zimmerman Telegram might be in my near future.

But yeah the French are Plan 17ing everything in sight.  It's working .

< Message edited by CLEVELAND -- 8/18/2007 1:32:51 AM >

(in reply to EUBanana)
Post #: 7
RE: Alls Quiet on the GoA Front? - 8/18/2007 1:37:26 AM   
SteveD64

. (tried to post pic. don't know how)

< Message edited by CLEVELAND -- 8/18/2007 1:52:39 AM >

(in reply to SteveD64)
Post #: 8
RE: Alls Quiet on the GoA Front? - 8/18/2007 1:53:17 AM   
SteveD64

did it work? edit: sorry it's small

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by CLEVELAND -- 8/18/2007 2:01:45 AM >

(in reply to SteveD64)
Post #: 9
RE: Alls Quiet on the GoA Front? - 8/18/2007 2:51:45 AM   
Snowbart1943

Very few yesterday too......

The most dead forum ive ever seen was the Battlefront forum......GoA already has more than double the entire # of posts that it does now. When it first came out, no one could tell if everyone was busy playing the game, or if only 5 people bought the game. 

The Matrix support folks were there just as they are in this game's forum, to give help when needed.  Kudus to them....great company philosophy of going the extra mile for great customer service.  That is what sets you apart and has IMO helped you to carve out your niche in this market.  Of course, releasing great games helps too

I am finding out that this game is really great fun!  Im a bit disappointed in the lack of information, and that you are pretty much forced to scour the forums for many answers that you need.  I dont understand how if someone had the knowledge to build the game, why not release all the info we might want to enjoy it fully?  Someone has this knowledge, it shouldnt be too hard to jot it down and share it.  This is a real niche game(maybe ill say it 3 times in the same post?), and we know some folks arent opting for it for lack of a decent manual.  Thats unfortunate but something that should have been apparent and thus avoidable.  Like I said Im really liking the game as ive finally learned enough to understand and enjoy it, but it is becoming clear to me this game would have really benefitted from perhaps more playtesters to catch some of these obvious bugs beforehand, and also a couple of months more for tweaking to really make this unpolished rock into a gem.  No offense to anyone b/c this is a great game, and im sure will only get better!

(in reply to SteveD64)
Post #: 10
RE: Alls Quiet on the GoA Front? - 8/18/2007 4:02:43 AM   
FrankHunter

Cleveland, hate to say it but I think you have a good basis for claiming the old "bad dice roll".  Either the French rolled great or you rolled poorly.

Mesopotamian AI, yes it would be a weak link for the AI.  As you guys may recall I only added the Palestine/Iraq fronts near the end of development due to "popular demand".

As for the manual, at least the first post on this board wasn't :

"A freakin 200 page manual!!!  Are you kidding me???"

(in reply to Snowbart1943)
Post #: 11
RE: Alls Quiet on the GoA Front? - 8/18/2007 4:20:51 AM   
Snowbart1943

I would have loved a Combat Mission:Barbarossa to Berlin-type of manual!  Its huge and still the best game manual ive ever seen....

(in reply to FrankHunter)
Post #: 12
RE: Alls Quiet on the GoA Front? - 8/18/2007 5:44:19 AM   
Tophat1815

quote:

ORIGINAL: FrankHunter

Cleveland, hate to say it but I think you have a good basis for claiming the old "bad dice roll". Either the French rolled great or you rolled poorly.

Mesopotamian AI, yes it would be a weak link for the AI. As you guys may recall I only added the Palestine/Iraq fronts near the end of development due to "popular demand".

As for the manual, at least the first post on this board wasn't :

"A freakin 200 page manual!!! Are you kidding me???"

You really need that Front simply for the sake of completeness if nothing else! Looking forward to the update and afew more games under my belt before venturing into pbem. I find myself now reading alot about WWI and very much enjoying the whole experience.

(in reply to FrankHunter)
Post #: 13
RE: Alls Quiet on the GoA Front? - 8/18/2007 5:50:32 AM   
SteveD64

The British AI has the right idea in Mesopotamia, but it's not following through.   The hammer didn't come down until '17-'18 anyway.

(in reply to Tophat1815)
Post #: 14
RE: Alls Quiet on the GoA Front? - 8/18/2007 5:55:13 AM   
SteveD64

The British AI has a lot of historical choices: Greece, Italy, Turkey, Egypt, Germany, France and potentally Serbia.  I bet Churchill had a plan (or a cigar) for every one.

< Message edited by CLEVELAND -- 8/18/2007 6:10:36 AM >

(in reply to SteveD64)
Post #: 15
RE: Alls Quiet on the GoA Front? - 8/18/2007 6:51:05 AM   
EUBanana

quote:

ORIGINAL: CLEVELAND

The British AI has a lot of historical choices: Greece, Italy, Turkey, Egypt, Germany, France and potentally Serbia. I bet Churchill had a plan (or a cigar) for every one.

The only problem the generals had was working out which of his many plans was the one that was genius and not total crap.

(in reply to SteveD64)
Post #: 16
RE: Alls Quiet on the GoA Front? - 8/20/2007 1:17:24 AM   
SteveD64

Well, Russia surrenders in early 1916 and I'm ready to roll on to Paris.   Fast forward one year and unbelievably I'm on the verge of losing.  France, Britain and Italy have blown the front wide open.  Germany's morale is low and Austria is on the verge of surrendering.  Pretty amazing turn of events. 

(in reply to EUBanana)
Post #: 17
RE: Alls Quiet on the GoA Front? - 8/20/2007 1:26:56 AM   
SteveD64

Also, I don't think I encountered the Russian Revolution .   Or if it happened I didn't notice it.

(in reply to SteveD64)
Post #: 18
RE: Alls Quiet on the GoA Front? - 8/20/2007 2:03:53 AM   
FrankHunter

The Russian Revolution doesn't necessarily happen.

(in reply to SteveD64)
Post #: 19
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> Guns of August 1914 - 1918 >> Alls Quiet on the GoA Front? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI