Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

My Only Request

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Larry Bond's Harpoon - Commander's Edition >> My Only Request Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
My Only Request - 8/24/2007 8:14:41 PM   
MIGMaster

After playing HC for a number of years, I beg you - please fix the fact aircraft crash into the ground at low atltitude so frequently!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I always hated the fact that strike formation of Tornadoes with the terrain avoidance radar smashed into the ground (or sea) just as much as non-equipped aircraft. It seemed to happen so frequently that it robs the game of using this realistic tactic.

A number of modders have claimed to fix this, but I still have yet to see it done correctly. I can see one plane - here or there - crashing into the ground while flying low altitude, but to lose dozens of planes in one scenario is just ridiculous !!!!!
Post #: 1
RE: My Only Request - 8/24/2007 9:37:55 PM   
Justascratch

Good post. I stopped using the low altitude tactic years ago for the same reason and just got so used to doing without it that I eventually forgot about it. I remember at the time feeling that a game that prides itself on accurate combat modeling shouldn't have such a bug. If it is still crawling around, I would also like to see it squashed.

(in reply to MIGMaster)
Post #: 2
RE: My Only Request - 8/24/2007 10:41:46 PM   
CV32

Before we cracked open the code for Harpoon Classic and made it possible to edit the database, certain aircraft had a "chance" of crashing into terrain while flying at Very low (Vlow) altitude. (It would not ever have happened at Low altitude).

Now, with the editable database, the ability to fly at "terrain following" height is controlled by a flag in the DB. Oddly enough, this is the LRMTS (Laser Ranger and Marked Target Seeker) flag, which on its face has of course nothing to do with terrain following/terrain avoiding flight. Thus, aircraft with the LRMTS flag are able to fly at Vlow altitude, while those without the flag still face that "roll of the dice" where they might crash.

I have a feeling that many of the people posting here are referencing some of the really old limitations of HC and probably haven't tried any version of it since HC97, because this particular feature (i.e. the ability to edit an aircraft's terrain following abilities) has been around for years now.

I think you can safely consider this one "bug" squashed, folks.

Brad Leyte
HC3 development group member for HCE
Author of HCDB official database for HCE
Harpgamer.com Co-Owner

(in reply to Justascratch)
Post #: 3
RE: My Only Request - 8/27/2007 12:19:42 AM   
Bigfish

quote:

I have a feeling that many of the people posting here are referencing some of the really old limitations of HC and probably haven't tried any version of it since HC97

Here in Germany HC97 was the last version you could buy in the shops and if anyone do not know about buying at AGSI - this is the last version out here. Don't know about buying Harpoon in the us, but without a distributor in germany i think not much people know about it. If you find similar situation in other countries why you wondering about so much comments based on HC97?

(in reply to CV32)
Post #: 4
RE: My Only Request - 8/27/2007 1:53:41 AM   
MIGMaster

I still ran into that problem ( you're right it was very low, not low altitude) with the HC 2002 demo. That's why I decide to stick with my copy of HC 97 instead of purchase HC 2002 GOLD. I was desperately hoping for H4, but we all know what happened there

I'm still hoping for a H4 style sim with Fleet Command style graphics...

(in reply to CV32)
Post #: 5
RE: My Only Request - 8/27/2007 2:39:57 PM   
Divefreak

Hi

I bought my copy online via the AGASI hompage.
Cause here in Flensburg no shop had a copy of HC at all....

Regards René

(in reply to Bigfish)
Post #: 6
RE: My Only Request - 8/27/2007 2:42:59 PM   
Divefreak

quote:

ORIGINAL: MIGMaster

I still ran into that problem ( you're right it was very low, not low altitude) with the HC 2002 demo.

You get only the old Battlesets with the demo. And these BS have no editable db! The Problem is solved with the 5 actual BS, cuase they use the new Databases. And BTW we got at least 4 or 5 usable dbs at the Moment. You can use the HCDB wich is shipped with HCE wich all BS-Scens and the other dbs with their dedicated scens.

Regards René

(in reply to MIGMaster)
Post #: 7
RE: My Only Request - 8/27/2007 3:38:28 PM   
CV32

quote:

ORIGINAL: MIGMaster
I still ran into that problem ( you're right it was very low, not low altitude) with the HC 2002 demo.

Rene is correct. With the demo you haven't yet been able to take advantage of the editable database, which of course would include the fixed terrain following flight flags.

Brad Leyte
HC3 development group member for HCE
Author of HCDB official database for HCE
Harpgamer.com Co-Owner

(in reply to MIGMaster)
Post #: 8
RE: My Only Request - 8/29/2007 5:57:51 PM   
MIGMaster

Damn that Demo !!!!

(in reply to CV32)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Larry Bond's Harpoon - Commander's Edition >> My Only Request Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI