Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

I would buy this game...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> Guns of August 1914 - 1918 >> I would buy this game... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
I would buy this game... - 7/28/2007 12:30:09 AM   
Doobious

... if Matrix and their developer partners would ever figure out that support for multiple screen resolutions, especially large and widescreen monitors, is not a luxury but a necessity.

When will they stop thinking that it is 1993 and everyone runs a 14" CRT at 1024 X 768?

I am passing on alot of their latest releases due to a lack of monitor resolution support in the products.

I would have bought this game in a heartbeat if it HAD WIDESCREEN RESOLUTIONS!

Yes, I am getting frustrated.

Doob
Post #: 1
RE: I would buy this game... - 7/28/2007 12:32:24 AM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: Doobious
When will they stop thinking that it is 1993 and everyone runs a 14" CRT at 1024 X 768?

Wow, Windows 3.1 timeframe... should I show you some pics of games from 1993 for comparison?

Seriously though, we do hear you and we've already made changes behind the scenes. When it comes to development though, it can take a while for such changes to percolate to release, but our goal is to have all our titles support multiple high resolution options in the future. Frank is also working on improving the options for GOA, but keep in mind development on this did start 10 years ago.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Doobious)
Post #: 2
RE: I would buy this game... - 7/28/2007 12:49:23 AM   
JudgeDredd

Well, if I could chime in, seeing as I have now  bought the game.

I've played games that have been restricted to 1024x768 and been disappointed with them. Why? Becuase I have an LCD and it displays text horribly.

However, this game runs in a 1024x768 window. This means nothing is "stretched". It keeps in it's window and looks absolutely fine. Everything is as it should be. I would rather the other games I have (Forge of Freedom and Crown of Glory to name and HoI2 to name 3) would run in a window so that the text looks normal rtaher than a nightmare to read.

The game is fantastic. I was very dubious about buying it because it's WWI and I've had no interest in the period. But I am very, very glad I did. It's the only WWI game I have and I expect it will be my only one for time to come. It's in depth, tactical, strategic and a challenge.

Admittedly the manual could be better, they could do wih another zoom-out level and it would "be nice" to have the game in full screen...but if you passed on it becuase of resolution, you'ce be making a big mistake. Admittedly, it's your mistake to make...but I'm just telling you how this game plays.

Alba gu' brath

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 3
RE: I would buy this game... - 7/28/2007 12:50:10 AM   
Doobious

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins
Wow, Windows 3.1 timeframe... should I show you some pics of games from 1993 for comparison?

I have seen Steel Panthers and Panzer General, I'm familar with the graphice of the era. Seriously, I was a player of the entire "V for Victory" series and loved it. But to run that today at 1920 X 1200 would cause a brain hemmorage.

quote:

Seriously though, we do hear you and we've already made changes behind the scenes. When it comes to development though, it can take a while for such changes to percolate to release, but our goal is to have all our titles support multiple high resolution options in the future. Frank is also working on improving the options for GOA, but keep in mind development on this did start 10 years ago.

That is wonderful to hear. I hope that means that the maps and icons will scale, because just scaling up the viewable area up to 1920 X 1200, therby making the game icons the size of ticktacks won't be much help.

Thanks for the reply,

Post #: 4
RE: I would buy this game... - 7/28/2007 1:03:24 AM   
Doobious

quote:

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd
I've played games that have been restricted to 1024x768 and been disappointed with them. Why? Becuase I have an LCD and it displays text horribly.

That is the exact experience I had with Battlefront. My screen distroted everything so badly it was unplayable for me. Lesson learned on that one. That is why I now search the forums first when I find a game I would like to buy. I have to verify that my monitor will play nice with the new game.

Hence, my switching from Battlefield 2142 to Counter Strike:Source. EA/Battlefield do not support windescreens.

We don't have that option with new turn-based games.

quote:

However, this game runs in a 1024x768 window. This means nothing is "stretched". It keeps in it's window and looks absolutely fine. Everything is as it should be. I would rather the other games I have (Forge of Freedom and Crown of Glory to name and HoI2 to name 3) would run in a window so that the text looks normal rtaher than a nightmare to read.

Hmm, I may have to try that, as I have never played a WWI game of any kind, if memory servers me correctly.

Are the unit icons/terrain features easily discernable on your screen? Text size easy to read?

Doob

< Message edited by Doobious -- 7/28/2007 1:04:40 AM >

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 5
RE: I would buy this game... - 7/28/2007 1:19:12 AM   
JudgeDredd

Yes...absolutely. Becuase they are in a "window" and NOT stretched to your monitor resolution, everything is crystal clear and legible. Whether it looks ok at your res, I do not know. Perhaps you run at a larger res than I (1280x1024) and it may look small. All I can say is, whilst it would be nice to have the game in full screen, I am happy in a window. I certainly wouldn't want to be forced full screen and have stretched graphics and text.

I don't know what res you have, but I have a native 1280x1024 LCD and if a game is designed in 1024x768 and stretched (not windowed) then it's very hard to read for any length of time.

Because this runs in a window, everything is clear and legible.

However, if you have a much higher res screen, it may be too small for you...I don't know...I only have a 17" lcd....but I would guess it's relative...

It's up to you, but the game is damn good. As Erik said, Frank Hunter is working on multiple resolutions now...so you might want to wait until it's sussed.

But if they do not fix it for widescreen or your particular resolution, you'd be missing out on a very good game...and all because it runs in a window (legible and NOT stretched)

Alba gu' brath

(in reply to Doobious)
Post #: 6
RE: I would buy this game... - 7/28/2007 1:20:09 AM   
coreymas

I also feel your pain (my laptops native resolution is 1680 X 1050 but there is a simple solution to your issue

Any game that you need to run in a reduced resolution (like Korsun Pocket for example) just create a shortcut on your desktop (or copy the one from the start menu) and force it into Windows95 compatibility) or force the resolution to 640 X 480. 

It will run in windowed mode but it is better than stretching things.

Corey

< Message edited by coreymas -- 7/28/2007 1:21:15 AM >

(in reply to Doobious)
Post #: 7
RE: I would buy this game... - 7/28/2007 1:20:49 AM   
JudgeDredd

And by the way I don't get paid by Matrix to promote their games. I just say it as I see it.

Alba gu' brath

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 8
RE: I would buy this game... - 7/28/2007 1:28:03 AM   
JudgeDredd

coreymas

There is no need to run this game in a window as it does this already. I hear what you are saying about games that run in a different res to your native res and "stretch", but this game does not....it is already in window mode...so nothing is stretched and it looks fine.

I want 1280x1024...but not stretched. I want it scaled properly. If Frank cannot do that, then I'd rather run it in a window.

Alba gu' brath

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 9
RE: I would buy this game... - 7/28/2007 1:31:27 AM   
TheHellPatrol

Yeah, it's a damn good game. The screen doesn't quite fit on my gaming laptop but it is crystal clear and most importantly...legible. I was almost going to pass on this game because of the reports of another wonky interface but it's actually quite simple/intuitive for me. Nice big colorful counters too, no squinting.

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone.
Henry David Thoreau

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 10
RE: I would buy this game... - 7/28/2007 2:05:00 AM   
Doobious

quote:

I don't know what res you have, but I have a native 1280x1024 LCD and if a game is designed in 1024x768 and stretched (not windowed) then it's very hard to read for any length of time.

Because this runs in a window, everything is clear and legible.

I have a 23" LCD that runs in its native resolution of 1920 X 1200. Trying to run anything other than 1920 X 1200 causes the text and graphics to be illegible, hence my previous comment on Battlefront. Windowed mode may work if it dosen't make everything so small that I can't read it do to it's shear tinyness.

I bought a large monitor to make thing easier to see, and it seems to be creating the exact opposite problem due to non-scalable graphics getting smaller and smaller as the pixles shrink.

Doob

< Message edited by Doobious -- 7/28/2007 2:07:44 AM >

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 11
RE: I would buy this game... - 7/28/2007 2:09:57 AM   
Bossy573

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

Frank is also working on improving the options for GOA, but keep in mind development on this did start 10 years ago.

Holy smokes. This game was really 10 YEARS in development?

Post #: 12
RE: I would buy this game... - 7/28/2007 2:42:50 AM   
JudgeDredd

Doobious

I don't know what to say.

I can understand why you bought the big screen (things are getting dificult for me to see also), but I don't know what it will look like on a 1920x1200 screen.

What I can tell you is this....because the developer has not choose to "stretch" the game interface, it is completely legible. Whether it is legible in a window on a 1920x1200, I do not know.

I'm afraid I can be of no more help to you. I don't want you to buy it and then not be able to read it (I don't know your quality of eyesight). But I do know that it was, at least, an inspiration NOT to make the game interface stretch.

It's legible and very, very clear at my res (1280x1024)...whether it will be at yours, I have no idea.

Sorry

Alba gu' brath

(in reply to Bossy573)
Post #: 13
RE: I would buy this game... - 7/28/2007 3:46:23 AM   
axeman109

I'm so glad this runs in a window. I work from home 2 days a week and ... I'm working harder then ever! (just kidding - there is down time I can use to get a turn or two though).

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 14
RE: I would buy this game... - 7/28/2007 4:41:52 AM   
*Lava*

quote:

ORIGINAL: TheHellPatrol

Nice big colorful counters too, no squinting.

Yep...

Love the counters.

Ray (alias Lava)

(in reply to TheHellPatrol)
Post #: 15
RE: I would buy this game... - 7/28/2007 5:15:46 AM   
randell765

This game looks awesome, I have bad eyes though, when the first patch is out that fixes resolution, I will buy it. I have waited for this game a few years, a few more months wont hurt, I hope. :)

(in reply to axeman109)
Post #: 16
RE: I would buy this game... - 7/28/2007 5:30:29 AM   
Bossy573

quote:

I can understand why you bought the big screen (things are getting dificult for me to see also), but I don't know what it will look like on a 1920x1200 screen.

What I can tell you is this....because the developer has not choose to "stretch" the game interface, it is completely legible. Whether it is legible in a window on a 1920x1200, I do not know.

I'm afraid I can be of no more help to you. I don't want you to buy it and then not be able to read it (I don't know your quality of eyesight). But I do know that it was, at least, an inspiration NOT to make the game interface stretch.

It's legible and very, very clear at my res (1280x1024)...whether it will be at yours, I have no idea.

This rang a bell with me. If you have a large screen (mine is 1600x1200) you have to set the DPI back to normal from large (96 from 120). Once I did that, the issue I had with the blank screen in the game window disappeared.
The game is entirely legible at 1600x1200. The font is legible and no squinting to read (my eyes are bad too), the counters crystal clear. I wanted to fill the screen and I knocked the res. down to 1024x768 and it looks really good.

quote:

ORIGINAL: randell765

This game looks awesome, I have bad eyes though, when the first patch is out that fixes resolution, I will buy it. I have waited for this game a few years, a few more months wont hurt, I hope. :)

It is all personal preference but I have played this game at 1200x800, 1600x1200 and 1024x768 and it looks good at all three. I don't think this is an issue which should stop you from buying a truly outstanding game.

< Message edited by Bossy573 -- 7/28/2007 5:32:18 AM >

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 17
RE: I would buy this game... - 7/28/2007 5:34:34 AM   
TheHellPatrol

quote:

ORIGINAL: randell765

This game is easier on my eyes than any wargame as of late bar CEAW...it's very legible.

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone.
Henry David Thoreau

(in reply to randell765)
Post #: 18
RE: I would buy this game... - 7/28/2007 3:11:11 PM   
Marc von Martial

Okay one final time. If you have a widescreen LCD then you are not forced to have hardcoded resolutions to stretch. Simply check you monitor preferences and manuals. Almost any LCD comes with support for various aspect ratios. If you LCD can't do it natively you still have the option to set this via your graphic card drivers, apart from the fact that your monitor was not worth the money you spent for it. I just make a copy and paste TXT file for this since I have to post it like 10 times a week.

I do not deny that developers need to pick up on widescreen support for their designs. I'm actually advocating it and bring it up very often.
But I also advocate that people use the possibilities of their hardware too. The monitor is one of your prime interface items between you and your monitor. Learn how to use it properly.

(in reply to TheHellPatrol)
Post #: 19
RE: I would buy this game... - 7/28/2007 3:19:06 PM   
Marc von Martial

quote:

ORIGINAL: Doobious

1024x768 in 1993? Wow, I must have missed that In 1993 SVGA (by that time 800x600) was the ultimate highend stuff, and programmers had problems to code for it properly, cause they had trouble to get all the memory needed to support such an outrageous resolution with the unimaginable color range of 16bit

(in reply to Doobious)
Post #: 20
RE: I would buy this game... - 7/29/2007 6:51:24 AM   
Ingtar

I wish I had seen this before I purchased the game.  The price is now wasted cash as I have a large monitor for a good reason - my eyes are not as young as they used to be.

(in reply to Marc von Martial)
Post #: 21
RE: I would buy this game... - 7/29/2007 7:19:07 AM   
randell765

The game mechanics look excellent (from what people have said) I believe the resolution issue is currently under way.  I may be wrong but I thought I read somewhere that frank is working on it.  There will hopefully be some small tweaking with other facets of the game; But if you do have resolution adjustments, a lot more people will buy it.

I think the majority of the people here want to see the game succeed, not fail.  Also, even though I don't own the game yet, it seems to be in desperate need of a faqs sticky.  While I am reading the forums, I am getting a lot of answers, but someone new may not want to go through all that time to go into every thread.  Just my 2 cents.

(in reply to Ingtar)
Post #: 22
RE: I would buy this game... - 7/30/2007 9:13:28 PM   
FrankHunter

Just to add, yes I'm working on a 1280 by 1024 resolution.  My monitor (19" LCD" won't go higher.  Should be handing it in to Erik within a couple of days.

(in reply to randell765)
Post #: 23
RE: I would buy this game... - 7/30/2007 9:20:35 PM   
Terl

Thank you Frank!!!

(in reply to FrankHunter)
Post #: 24
RE: I would buy this game... - 7/30/2007 9:35:43 PM   
USSLockwood

I found the single resolution upsetting at first.  However, the game play is a HOOT! 

Dave
San Diego
Home of the World's Busiest Radar Approach Control

(in reply to Terl)
Post #: 25
RE: I would buy this game... - 8/20/2007 11:33:39 PM   
StormcloudCreations

Hey all....please vote at the Hornet Leader PC thread about screen resolutions...we're checking to see if our planned 1280x1024 requirement for screen res is going to be a problem at all. Thanks! 

Derek
Lead Programmer of Hornet Leader PC
Mindtoy Games - Unique Strategy/Board/Card games for the PC - mindtoygames.com

(in reply to USSLockwood)
Post #: 26
RE: I would buy this game... - 8/26/2007 9:20:24 PM   
Squigbaby

quote:

ORIGINAL: FrankHunter

Just to add, yes I'm working on a 1280 by 1024 resolution.  My monitor (19" LCD" won't go higher.  Should be handing it in to Erik within a couple of days.

@Frank

I typically leave my PC at 800*600 for normal viewing. Any chance that on booting GOA the system will force the minimum 1024*768 to save having to manually change the screen settings?

There are a number of Matrix titles I own that do this already, such as HTTR, COTA, BOA, AACW and WitP, so I would hope that there is standard code that Matrix/associate developers will let you have if you don't have it already. It's a minor issue but would be nice to have.

(in reply to FrankHunter)
Post #: 27
RE: I would buy this game... - 8/26/2007 9:33:27 PM   
Sardonic

Actually, the impact that expanding resolution has is far from minor.  To indulge wide screens may leave you unsupported on the narrow screens.
I certainly dont wish to wait 7 min for a turn to process.

(in reply to Squigbaby)
Post #: 28
RE: I would buy this game... - 8/26/2007 9:52:36 PM   
Squigbaby

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sardonic

Actually, the impact that expanding resolution has is far from minor.  To indulge wide screens may leave you unsupported on the narrow screens.
I certainly dont wish to wait 7 min for a turn to process.

I wasn't referring to wide screen particularly. Mine isn't. I've found the force 1024*768 on booting the games I mentioned in my post took a minute amount of time to happen and didn't affect gameplay at all.

(in reply to Sardonic)
Post #: 29
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> Guns of August 1914 - 1918 >> I would buy this game... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI