Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Bibliographies

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: Bibliographies Page: <<   < prev  14 15 [16] 17 18   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Bibliographies - 8/31/2007 10:35:08 AM   
wosung

For Chinese writeups I could contribute to the bibliography.
Nearly all of my sources are printed materials.
How many titles should be included?

Regards

(in reply to Greyshaft)
Post #: 451
RE: Bibliographies - 8/31/2007 11:30:15 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: wosung

Regards

Mostly what you consider appropriate: some, more than a couple, not all, nor even close to all.

If you think that others will find them interesting, that's important too. This is partially about giving credit but it's more about the authors having published useful and interesting stuff that you think players of MWIF might want to read/examine too.

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

(in reply to wosung)
Post #: 452
RE: Bibliographies - 8/31/2007 11:55:22 AM   
Froonp

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets
quote:

ORIGINAL: wosung

Regards

Mostly what you consider appropriate: some, more than a couple, not all, nor even close to all.

If you think that others will find them interesting, that's important too. This is partially about giving credit but it's more about the authors having published useful and interesting stuff that you think players of MWIF might want to read/examine too.

What Steve writes is particulary true, because seeing Wosung often refeering to the Oxford Companion to WWII in the China map thread made me buy the book too (and it is awesome).

(in reply to Shannon V. OKeets)
Post #: 453
RE: Bibliographies - 9/1/2007 7:55:53 PM   
jesperpehrson

I will ask everyone who has contributed if they like to add a website or a book or other reference and I will compile it in a list for Steve.

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 454
RE: Bibliographies - 9/2/2007 1:40:20 AM   
mldtchdog

The USA arsenal contains 29 corps sized units that are non-historical: 5 inf, 1 cav, 2 para, 1 mtn, 5 garr, 5 mot, 3 mech, 3 arm and also the ambigious 5 militia. Or roughly half of all the corps available. Other than simply saying that these units did not exist I've been thinking that I would concentrate on the pre-war/ early war strategic planning and mlitary development of the United States. i.e the development of American armored forces, ect...

examples:
[2020][XXXIX]
.T The XXXIX Corps was never activated.
.P The Victory Plan, created by General Wedemeyer of the War Plans Department in September 1941as an estimate of rescource and industrial production needs, predicted that the Army of the United States would need 54 triangular style infantry divisions to fight and win a global war. A triangular division consists of 3 regiments instead of the 4 regiment, or square, divisions of WWI. 66 infantry divisions were activated for WWII.
.P To get a realistic loook at material needs Wedemeyer had to theorize about the forces America would need to fight the coming war. Forces allocated included the Brazilian Task Force, a smallish corps to counter-attack and German assault into South America, the Columbia-Peru-Ecudor Task Force, most likely to be used to reinfoce the defense of Panama, and 3 field armies for fighting in Europe. He also planned for 2 more armies to defend North America.

[2060][LVI GARR]
.T The LVI Corps was never formed although, in game terms, it could easily represent the Caribbean Defense Command.
.P The Caribbean Defense Command was activated in in February 1941. Of greatest concern to the USA in terms of threat to the western hemisphere was an Axis invasion of Brazil from Dakur in Africa. Available forces were identified and organized under the Caribbean Defense Command in preperation to prevent this.

Basically, what I'm asking what do you think to this approach. Other ideas? I turned in preliminary ones to Capitan for his input but I thought I'd post here to see what anyone else thinks

(in reply to jesperpehrson)
Post #: 455
RE: Bibliographies - 9/2/2007 1:44:03 AM   
Mziln

quote:

ORIGINAL: mldtchdog

The USA arsenal contains 29 corps sized units that are non-historical: 5 inf, 1 cav, 2 para, 1 mtn, 5 garr, 5 mot, 3 mech, 3 arm and also the ambigious 5 militia. Or roughly half of all the corps available. Other than simply saying that these units did not exist I've been thinking that I would concentrate on the pre-war/ early war strategic planning and mlitary development of the United States. i.e the development of American armored forces, ect...

examples:
[2020][XXXIX]
.T The XXXIX Corps was never activated.
.P The Victory Plan, created by General Wedemeyer of the War Plans Department in September 1941as an estimate of rescource and industrial production needs, predicted that the Army of the United States would need 54 triangular style infantry divisions to fight and win a global war. A triangular division consists of 3 regiments instead of the 4 regiment, or square, divisions of WWI. 66 infantry divisions were activated for WWII.
.P To get a realistic loook at material needs Wedemeyer had to theorize about the forces America would need to fight the coming war. Forces allocated included the Brazilian Task Force, a smallish corps to counter-attack and German assault into South America, the Columbia-Peru-Ecudor Task Force, most likely to be used to reinfoce the defense of Panama, and 3 field armies for fighting in Europe. He also planned for 2 more armies to defend North America.

[2060][LVI GARR]
.T The LVI Corps was never formed although, in game terms, it could easily represent the Caribbean Defense Command.
.P The Caribbean Defense Command was activated in in February 1941. Of greatest concern to the USA in terms of threat to the western hemisphere was an Axis invasion of Brazil from Dakur in Africa. Available forces were identified and organized under the Caribbean Defense Command in preperation to prevent this.

Basically, what I'm asking what do you think to this approach. Other ideas? I turned in preliminary ones to Capitan for his input but I thought I'd post here to see what anyone else thinks

(in reply to mldtchdog)
Post #: 456
RE: Bibliographies - 9/2/2007 2:01:41 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

I completely agree with Mziln.

Steve

(in reply to Mziln)
Post #: 457
RE: Bibliographies - 9/2/2007 2:38:23 AM   
Froonp

Mee too !

(in reply to Shannon V. OKeets)
Post #: 458
RE: Bibliographies - 9/2/2007 12:00:28 PM   
wosung

With the Chinese units, I have the same problem, to put it mildly.

In those cases I listed further information anyhow related to these hypthetical units and speculated about possible ways for them coming into existence.

But with five to seven hypothetical mot, mech, armor, para units the write- ups tend to be repetitive.

Regards

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 459
RE: Bibliographies - 9/2/2007 1:12:03 PM   
michaelbaldur

I have the same trouble with the canadians .....

(in reply to wosung)
Post #: 460
RE: Bibliographies - 9/2/2007 3:19:22 PM   
jesperpehrson

Nice work Adam. 

(in reply to michaelbaldur)
Post #: 461
RE: Bibliographies - 9/3/2007 9:20:03 PM   
jesperpehrson

61 units added to the total. This makes it a total of 1061 landunits in need of writeups. We have done 44 percent of those.

The UK is looking for attention. So are all the ART in the game. Other than that some minor countries are still unattended. If you are man enough to take on any of these don´t hesitate to send me a PM!

Post #: 462
RE: Bibliographies - 9/3/2007 11:42:21 PM   
jesperpehrson

One of Adams americans!

Attachment (1)

Post #: 463
RE: Bibliographies - 9/4/2007 1:28:09 AM   
michaelbaldur

what is the air corps ...... is the right words air force ..... or is it a paratrooper corps ..... it´s not clear ...

Post #: 464
RE: Bibliographies - 9/4/2007 2:07:13 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: michaelbaldur

what is the air corps ...... is the right words air force ..... or is it a paratrooper corps ..... it´s not clear ...

The US Air Force was not created until after WW II. Prior to that it was the Army Air Corps (when we sing their anthem I always have to consciously think to sing the words US Air Crops instead of Army Air Corps, which is how I first learned it).

The strucutre for units fighting in the air kept splinterring, so the navy and marines also have their own air combat branches.

Steve

Post #: 465
RE: Bibliographies - 9/4/2007 2:12:07 AM   
Mziln

quote:

Durring WW I and WW II it was named the U. S. Army Air Corps. After that it became the U. S. Air Force.

Post #: 466
RE: Bibliographies - 9/5/2007 12:31:53 AM   
mldtchdog

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mziln

quote:

Durring WW I and WW II it was named the U. S. Army Air Corps. After that it became the U. S. Air Force.

I've changed the wording to make this clearer. ...the U.S. Army Air Corps, the air force, and for parachute triaining for the new airborne divisions being formed.

(in reply to Mziln)
Post #: 467
RE: Bibliographies - 9/7/2007 8:59:22 PM   
jesperpehrson

I could use a hand with some of the British colonies, if someone has some information available.

I have found next to nothing about the Egyptian forces, except an OOB which could be useful with other more anecdotial information.

I have nothing on Kenya except that their soldiers fought in the King´s African Rifles, same goes for Uganda and the two Rhodesias..

As for Palestine I am uncertain what to write, should I include the Trans-Jordan Arab Legion, or the Jewish soldiers that fought for the British, or the few actual Palestinian Arabs that joined the British Army?

Most of what I got so far is about the KAR and something called the West African Frontier Force. Perhaps someone has a bit of information in an obscure book in their bookshelf? Any help would be appreciated.

(in reply to mldtchdog)
Post #: 468
RE: Bibliographies - 9/7/2007 10:20:40 PM   
dale1066

I've looked through WSCs The second world war and there is not much detail there except for a few pages and a map of the British campaign to oust Italian forces in Ethiopia.

Here are a couple of tantalising leads to be followed up on maybe

Wingate, he of the Chindits fame, was in charge of a Soudanese battalion who took part in said ethiopian campaign.

During the Summer of '41 "native troops under belgian command " came 2,000 miles from the congo and also assisted in said campaign

In early '41 there were 70'000 men in Aden and Kenya on pay and ration strength, In terms of fighting forces these were two south african brigades, two west african brigades and "local east african forces"

He also mentions a west african brigade stationed in East africa returning to West africa (Freetown) for garrison duties.

he also came up with a plan to use italian arms captured in Ethiopia to "equip the Shadow Brigade now forming in freetown or there abouts" This unit was expanded to a division and led by around 400 polish officers who all "served with high credit"

I'll keep digging

all in all not that much use I'm afraid

Post #: 469
RE: Bibliographies - 9/7/2007 11:12:58 PM   
Froonp

quote:

ORIGINAL: capitan

I could use a hand with some of the British colonies, if someone has some information available.

I have found next to nothing about the Egyptian forces, except an OOB which could be useful with other more anecdotial information.

I have nothing on Kenya except that their soldiers fought in the King´s African Rifles, same goes for Uganda and the two Rhodesias..

As for Palestine I am uncertain what to write, should I include the Trans-Jordan Arab Legion, or the Jewish soldiers that fought for the British, or the few actual Palestinian Arabs that joined the British Army?

Most of what I got so far is about the KAR and something called the West African Frontier Force. Perhaps someone has a bit of information in an obscure book in their bookshelf? Any help would be appreciated.

Have you got the texts that I had posted about the countries of the CW Empire, from the 1940 Collier World Atlas & Gazetteer ? Maybe there was nothing about the countries you are looking for ?

Post #: 470
RE: Bibliographies - 9/8/2007 12:02:40 AM   
jesperpehrson

quote:

ORIGINAL: dale1066

I've looked through WSCs The second world war and there is not much detail there except for a few pages and a map of the British campaign to oust Italian forces in Ethiopia.

Here are a couple of tantalising leads to be followed up on maybe

Wingate, he of the Chindits fame, was in charge of a Soudanese battalion who took part in said ethiopian campaign.

During the Summer of '41 "native troops under belgian command " came 2,000 miles from the congo and also assisted in said campaign

In early '41 there were 70'000 men in Aden and Kenya on pay and ration strength, In terms of fighting forces these were two south african brigades, two west african brigades and "local east african forces"

He also mentions a west african brigade stationed in East africa returning to West africa (Freetown) for garrison duties.

he also came up with a plan to use italian arms captured in Ethiopia to "equip the Shadow Brigade now forming in freetown or there abouts" This unit was expanded to a division and led by around 400 polish officers who all "served with high credit"

I'll keep digging

all in all not that much use I'm afraid

I actually have most of those leads in the writeups. The polish officers are there, so is the west african brigade and the belgians marching through the Congo. The Sudan defense force is also in.

Please keep digging cause I am stumped!

(in reply to dale1066)
Post #: 471
RE: Bibliographies - 9/8/2007 12:05:47 AM   
jesperpehrson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Froonp
Have you got the texts that I had posted about the countries of the CW Empire, from the 1940 Collier World Atlas & Gazetteer ? Maybe there was nothing about the countries you are looking for ?

I am using your texts for sure, they are of great help. But I am also looking for something more to make the colonial troops more specific and less generic. Perhaps there are things to be found.

I am done with Sierra Leone, Nigeria, British Somaliland and Sudan. I have Egypt, The Rhodesisas, Aden, Uganda, Kenya and Tanganyika to do.

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 472
RE: Bibliographies - 9/8/2007 10:20:54 AM   
mldtchdog

Try here. I think you'll like.

http://homepages.force9.net/rothwell/egypt.htm

Post #: 473
RE: Bibliographies - 9/8/2007 11:05:00 AM   
Greyshaft

quote:

Not found - 404

URL requested (/rothwell/egypt.htm) not found

/Greyshaft

(in reply to mldtchdog)
Post #: 474
RE: Bibliographies - 9/8/2007 11:18:05 AM   
jesperpehrson

quote:

Thank you Adam, that page has everything I need for the Egyptians, Palestinians and the rest of the African colonies. Now it seems I am just lacking for Aden.

(in reply to mldtchdog)
Post #: 475
RE: Bibliographies - 9/8/2007 1:20:23 PM   
dale1066

http://www.britains-smallwars.com/swbooks/LAST-POST-ADEN.htm

I guess this book would help if anyone can get a copy

Last post: Aden, 1964-67
ISBN # 0571087205

quote:

But there is an immense amount of information tucked away between the covers. Every single unit to have been raised in the former Aden Protectorates from 1839 until independence is listed and described.

Also found a ref to various formations from the Yemen but again no details still googling

Aden Protectorate Levies 1928-1961
Government Guards 1938-1959
Hadrami Bedouin Legion 1940-1967

Also found an OB
The British Army Overseas and the Colonies on 3 September 1939

The Middle East

A. Aden
HQ British Troops Aden
HQ Royal Artillery Aden
The Aden Signal Section, Royal Corps of Signals
Detachment, 8th Anti-Aircraft Battery, Royal Artillery
9th (Minden) Heavy Battery, Royal Artillery
20th Fortress Company, Royal Engineers
2/5th Mahratta Light Infantry: Khormaksar
The Aden Protectorate Levies: Khormaksar

Western Aden Protectorate
Government Guards
Tribal Guards
Lahej Trained Forces

Eastern Aden Protectorate
Kathiri Armed Constabulary
Mukalla Regular Army

< Message edited by dale1066 -- 9/8/2007 1:40:35 PM >

Post #: 476
RE: Bibliographies - 9/8/2007 2:23:15 PM   
jesperpehrson

Good post Dale, thanks. How are they Yugos coming along btw?

The book seems awfully pricey so I will have to use the information you posted and some other stuff I might find.

(in reply to dale1066)
Post #: 477
RE: Bibliographies - 9/8/2007 5:17:51 PM   
mldtchdog

quote:

ORIGINAL: Greyshaft

quote:

Not found - 404

URL requested (/rothwell/egypt.htm) not found

if this didnt work google "british and commonwealth orders of battle"

(in reply to Greyshaft)
Post #: 478
RE: Bibliographies - 9/8/2007 6:35:14 PM   
dale1066

Know any one who can read serbian

Seriously I've found a site with a complete OB but need to get permission to use their info.
I've got the Oxford companion to WWII out of the library and it has some good general stuff on Yugoslavia plus just about anything else, Aden gets just a small paragraph unfotunately.

re book I'll check the local library you never know, I've a couple of books on order re Tito from there so could try and add that you never know

Gotta go Footy and Rugby on decisions, decisions.....

Post #: 479
RE: Bibliographies - 9/8/2007 10:50:00 PM   
cockney

I've got a basic knowlage of Croatian, (same spoken language, but serb is written in cyrilc, whilst croat is in the latin alphabet)

never piss off a sgt major

(in reply to dale1066)
Post #: 480
Page:   <<   < prev  14 15 [16] 17 18   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: Bibliographies Page: <<   < prev  14 15 [16] 17 18   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI