Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Best board-game?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Best board-game? Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Best board-game? - 8/30/2007 8:44:52 PM   
LarryP

I only own one (The Russian Front) so I can't say fairly. Are there many that still play them?
Post #: 1
RE: Best board-game? - 8/30/2007 8:48:49 PM   
ravinhood

Squad Leader an Advanced Squad Leader are the best board wargame ever made. There of course will be some honorable mentions of others like Panzer Blitz and Panzer Leader, but, SL and ASL top the charts in quality, fun, entertainment, longevity, randomness etc. etc. :P

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 2
RE: Best board-game? - 8/30/2007 8:50:43 PM   
LarryP

quote:

ORIGINAL: ravinhood

Squad Leader an Advanced Squad Leader are the best board wargame ever made. There of course will be some honorable mentions of others like Panzer Blitz and Panzer Leader, but, SL and ASL top the charts in quality, fun, entertainment, longevity, randomness etc. etc. :P

What about L2 Designs?

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 3
RE: Best board-game? - 8/30/2007 11:27:13 PM   
anarchyintheuk

Sorry, can't narrow it down between these three:

The Russian Front
Squad Leader (only up to Crescendo of Doom)
Luftwaffe

Honorable mention: whatever tf that Waterloo campaign game w/ those wooden blocks is called

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 4
RE: Best board-game? - 8/31/2007 12:27:29 AM   
LarryP

quote:

ORIGINAL: anarchyintheuk

Sorry, can't narrow it down between these three:

The Russian Front
Squad Leader (only up to Crescendo of Doom)
Luftwaffe

Honorable mention: whatever tf that Waterloo campaign game w/ those wooden blocks is called

I take it you like The Russian Front? That's my 1rst ever board game and I am having a bit of trouble understanding the rules. Did it take a while to learn?

(in reply to anarchyintheuk)
Post #: 5
RE: Best board-game? - 8/31/2007 12:47:06 AM   
anarchyintheuk

Oops, just noticed I should have said The Russian Campaign on my list of favorites. I played both.

Liked Russian Front a lot. It was TRC w/ better naval, air and replacement systems and rules. It was one of the last boardgames I played before I became lazy enough to require a computer to determine odds and switch over completely to pc games.

Not really, but the turn sequence was strange. Once I understand that it was pretty easy. Try just setting up the Finnish front and run through a turn or two. As you go through the turn sequence read the applicable rules a few times and you should pick it up quickly. Great game, hope you enjoy it.

< Message edited by anarchyintheuk -- 8/31/2007 12:49:06 AM >

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 6
RE: Best board-game? - 8/31/2007 1:56:40 AM   
James Ward

quote:

ORIGINAL: ravinhood

If you like tactical games.

My personal favorites are DNO/UNT and The Battle of Moscow (Boridino)

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 7
RE: Best board-game? - 8/31/2007 2:39:52 AM   
Neilster

My pick would be World in Flames (strategic level WW2).

Here's the link to Matrix's development of the computer version. There are new threads that make it easy to see all the maps and tutorials (work in progress. You can help out with suggestions. Input from newbies is especially sought after).

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=110

Cheers, Neilster

(in reply to James Ward)
Post #: 8
RE: Best board-game? - 8/31/2007 3:50:53 AM   
Joram

I think there are a lot of tough choices out there but I actually was going to say World in Flames too!  I'm not holding my breath on the computer version though but we'll see.

Other ones I'd consider as top (might not always be good ones but bring fond memories):
Fortress Europa
War and Peace
Squad Leader/Advanced Squad Leader
B-17 (a solitaire game - played the heck out of it but rarely got my pilot to 50 missions!)
Circus Maximus
Umm, that one you explore Africa, I want to say "Dr Livingstone I presume" but don't remember if that was the title or an event in the game.

I could go on but those are my favorites.

PS Anarchy: That block game was I believe simply called Waterloo, or Waterloo 1815.  Not sure which but yes, that was fun too.  I didn't list it mainly because I always lost at that silly game.  :)  And if you like that game, you should check out Hammer of the Scots and other new ones, including an updated version of Waterloo I believe.  Columbia Games.

< Message edited by Joram -- 8/31/2007 3:51:58 AM >

(in reply to Neilster)
Post #: 9
RE: Best board-game? - 8/31/2007 4:14:23 AM   
Sarge

Chess !

(in reply to Joram)
Post #: 10
RE: Best board-game? - 8/31/2007 4:53:33 AM   
Neilster

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joram

I think there are a lot of tough choices out there but I actually was going to say World in Flames too! I'm not holding my breath on the computer version though but we'll see.

Other ones I'd consider as top (might not always be good ones but bring fond memories):
Fortress Europa
War and Peace
Squad Leader/Advanced Squad Leader
B-17 (a solitaire game - played the heck out of it but rarely got my pilot to 50 missions!)
Circus Maximus
Umm, that one you explore Africa, I want to say "Dr Livingstone I presume" but don't remember if that was the title or an event in the game.

I could go on but those are my favorites.

PS Anarchy: That block game was I believe simply called Waterloo, or Waterloo 1815. Not sure which but yes, that was fun too. I didn't list it mainly because I always lost at that silly game. :) And if you like that game, you should check out Hammer of the Scots and other new ones, including an updated version of Waterloo I believe. Columbia Games.

Yes. This has been a long running saga but since Steve has taken over there has been steady progress. His development style should be a model for others too. The input of experienced players (and others) into such aspects as the maps, tutorials, counter design and especially the AI has been instrumental. Every part of this game will be so much better as a result of this wiki-like process.

It should be out in about a year.

Cheers, Neilster

(in reply to Joram)
Post #: 11
RE: Best board-game? - 8/31/2007 5:12:40 AM   
sprior

Enemy at the Gates
The Longest Day
Vietnam

I'm sure I'll think of more.

"Grown ups are what's left when skool is finished."
"History started badly and hav been geting steadily worse."
- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to Neilster)
Post #: 12
RE: Best board-game? - 8/31/2007 5:34:00 AM   
jvgfanatic

I know it's a bit out of the box but I sure wish I had my copy of Titan again.

Also, Cosmic Encounter was a great little 'party' game that anyone could get into.

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 13
RE: Best board-game? - 8/31/2007 5:42:23 AM   
Neilster

quote:

ORIGINAL: jvgfanatic

I know it's a bit out of the box but I sure wish I had my copy of Titan again.

Also, Cosmic Encounter was a great little 'party' game that anyone could get into.

Yes. I can't tell you how many parties I've been to where hot women would pester me to play a WW2 wargame or such like.

"I'm really just here to drink and socialize", I'd say, but eventually peer pressure would usually win out.

Cheers, Neilster

(in reply to jvgfanatic)
Post #: 14
RE: Best board-game? - 8/31/2007 6:56:41 AM   
Skipjack

Third Reich (Avalon Hill) - played the heck out of this in the 80s
The Civil War (Victory Games) - the hands down pick in my circle of board gamer friends
Raid on St. Nazaire (AH) - one of the best solitaire games I know of

(in reply to Neilster)
Post #: 15
RE: Best board-game? - 8/31/2007 10:34:58 AM   
Hertston

It's hard to disagree with SL/ASL (or indeed chess!)... but I actually played an awful lot more Starfleet Battles.
Post #: 16
RE: Best board-game? - 8/31/2007 10:48:31 AM   
jvgfanatic

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hertston

It's hard to disagree with SL/ASL (or indeed chess!)... but I actually played an awful lot more Starfleet Battles.

Oh man, Star Fleet Battles. Wow. I can't count the number of all-nighters a friend and myself played that. Talk about an amazing game.

And I won't argue that SL/ASL deserves the 'all time greatest' award either. We can quibble about categories all we want but that game is tremendous.

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 17
RE: Best board-game? - 8/31/2007 1:40:45 PM   
HansBolter

1. Third Reich (played every edition to death and I was a playtester for Advanced Third Reich)

2. Russian Campaign (wore out three countermixes)

3. Russian Front(only wore out one countermix)

4. Malta/The Longest Day....aka The Longest Game (TLD used the same mechanics system as Air Assault on Crete and it's bonus game Malta)

5. Battles for the Ardennes (SPI quad game...absolute best regimental level Bulge game ever)

6. Squad Leader....NOT ASL ( when asked if he was interested in playing ASL a wargaming buddy once responded "I'm not interested in rolling dice to see if every individual soldier is missed by a bullet because he bent over to tie his shoelace".....I always thought that characterized ASL in a nutshell)

7. Fire in the East / Scorched Earth

8. Wahct am Rhein (best battalion level Bulge game ever)

9. Fortress Europa

10. ETO/PTO

I have to agre with the one who stated that Raid on St. Nazaire was the best sloitaire game ever

As for the question "is there anyone still playing them"...last night four of us got a turn and a half done in The Gamers Operational Combat Series game of Tunisia. I've only recently been turned on to the OCS game mechanics and I am really impressed.

< Message edited by HansBolter -- 8/31/2007 1:47:06 PM >

(in reply to jvgfanatic)
Post #: 18
RE: Best board-game? - 8/31/2007 1:46:50 PM   
YohanTM2

World in Flames.

Hands down

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 19
RE: Best board-game? - 8/31/2007 1:49:51 PM   
HansBolter

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yohan

World in Flames.

Hands down

Strange how extremely opinions can vary.

I always thought it sucked eggs and came in fifth among grand strategic games well behind Third Reich, ETO/PTO, Krieg/Totaler Krieg and SPI's WWII.

< Message edited by HansBolter -- 8/31/2007 1:51:00 PM >

(in reply to YohanTM2)
Post #: 20
RE: Best board-game? - 8/31/2007 2:28:33 PM   
PunkReaper

does no-one like Kingmaker a game that was well played in my younger days, or more recently Warrior Knights.

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 21
RE: Best board-game? - 8/31/2007 3:19:42 PM   
Jay Taylor

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joram

Would that be Avalon Hill's "Source of the Nile"

(in reply to Joram)
Post #: 22
RE: Best board-game? - 8/31/2007 4:06:00 PM   
Jevhaddah

I still have all my Starfleet Battles kit in the loft, my girls are just reaching the age when I can inflict it on them

Cheers

Jev

I am really quite mad yoo know!

(in reply to Jay Taylor)
Post #: 23
RE: Best board-game? - 8/31/2007 4:15:20 PM   
Prince of Eckmühl

My favorite remains Avalon Hill's ANZIO. While it could be a LONG game (because there were so many turns), the fronts, either the width of the Italian Peninsula or a beach-head were very narrow, and the number of units relatively small. This placed an enormous premium on player skill and knowledge/understanding of the terrain. Anzio is excellent game with endless replay possibilities. Tom Oleson is working on a remake of it, one that I suspect will be published by GMT. It's my understanding that it will be named ITALIA.

PoE (aka ivanmoe)

Government is the opiate of the masses.

(in reply to Jay Taylor)
Post #: 24
RE: Best board-game? - 8/31/2007 5:02:41 PM   
James Ward

Another personal favorite was Seige of Jerusalem, the original version not the AH version.

(in reply to Prince of Eckmühl)
Post #: 25
RE: Best board-game? - 8/31/2007 5:42:58 PM   
HansBolter

I completely overlooked Panzer Blitz/Panzer Leader which are the two games I really cut my wargaming teeth on, but their mechanics system is more than a bit dated by now so I would probably add them as number 11 on my top ten list.

(in reply to James Ward)
Post #: 26
RE: Best board-game? - 8/31/2007 6:33:35 PM   
Joram

quote:

ORIGINAL: Punk Reaper

does no-one like Kingmaker a game that was well played in my younger days, or more recently Warrior Knights.

I loved kingmaker but rarely had an opponent to play it against. So I never really got to play it other than looking at the pretty pieces and cards. :(

Oh, and thanks Jay, that's the game.

Ahh nostalgia setting in.

(in reply to PunkReaper)
Post #: 27
RE: Best board-game? - 8/31/2007 6:49:00 PM   
RedArgo

I always liked Titan (which, btw, is now being reprinted by Valley games and there is also a computer open source version called Colossus which is pretty good.)

Also, played a lot of Star Fleet Battles.

And now I'm playing Stratego with my 6 year boys.

Bill

(in reply to Joram)
Post #: 28
RE: Best board-game? - 8/31/2007 7:52:19 PM   
sterckxe

quote:

ORIGINAL: anarchyintheuk
Oops, just noticed I should have said The Russian Campaign on my list of favorites. I played both.

Another vote here for TRC, together with Third Reich and Squad Leader they're my top 3 - in random order.

Honourable mention to a jewel that is almost unknown : Lou Coatney's "Sturm nach Osten"

Hmm, that's 4 times WWII - best throw in an ACW game too

Forward to Richmond - random leader activation, units routing when someone yelled "booh" while others stood like a stone wall, a beautifull map, it's all there.

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

(in reply to anarchyintheuk)
Post #: 29
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Best board-game? Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI