Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Is this worth buying now?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> John Tiller's Campaign Series >> Is this worth buying now? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Is this worth buying now? - 9/10/2007 2:37:01 PM   
Noakesy

May seem a blunt question, but I used to own these as Talonsoft games donkeys years ago, and have noticed they've been re-released but there seems to be a lot of correspondence regarding bugs and so on. Does this game now work well or are there still problems?

Many thanks
Post #: 1
RE: Is this worth buying now? - 9/10/2007 2:42:46 PM   
Arkady

Game is working fine
There are some bugs but they are not game breakers and most of them will be addressed in next patch

(in reply to Noakesy)
Post #: 2
RE: Is this worth buying now? - 9/10/2007 3:11:56 PM   
Noakesy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Arkady
Game is working fine
There are some bugs but they are not game breakers and most of them will be addressed in next patch

Thanks - and can you play games and campaigns both hot seat, pbem and against the AI? Even though I moved on to SSG games I used to enjoy these battles (and some of the bigger ones, especially Typhoon which used to be my favourite).

< Message edited by Noakesy -- 9/10/2007 3:12:47 PM >

(in reply to Arkady)
Post #: 3
RE: Is this worth buying now? - 9/10/2007 4:11:15 PM   
Arkady

only stand alone scenarios can be played against human (Hot seat, PBEM and online)

campaigns are AI only

(in reply to Noakesy)
Post #: 4
RE: Is this worth buying now? - 9/10/2007 6:01:58 PM   
DoubleDeuce

I took the plunge and got my copy yesterday. I have the originals and used to play them all the time. For a while I moved on to other games but have been keeping an eye on these updated versions.

< Message edited by Double Deuce -- 9/11/2007 3:59:32 AM >

(in reply to Noakesy)
Post #: 5
RE: Is this worth buying now? - 9/10/2007 6:25:52 PM   
Jason Petho

quote:

ORIGINAL: Double Deuce

I took the plunge and got my copy yesterday. I have the originals and used to play them all the time. For a while I moved on to other games but have been keeping an eye on these updated versions.

Thanks for purchasing!

Ensure you are up to date with the various updates and patches.

Jason Petho

(in reply to DoubleDeuce)
Post #: 6
RE: Is this worth buying now? - 9/10/2007 7:28:21 PM   
Viriathus

Simply answer yes.

I owned EFII and RS and loved them but bailed out in frustration after too many crashes.

The Matrix version hasn't crashed once. It is great fun and excellent support ensuring the few, minor bugs are dealt with. Also new scenarios and campaigns are being developed.

My only concern was that I might have been looking back at the game with rose-tinted spectacles or that the game would be dated. Neither has happened; I am getting more pleasure from this game than any that I have bought in a long time and I expect it to be on my harddrive for many years to come.

Given that we all take punts on new wargames hoping that they will suit us, Matrix have offered those of us familar with the originals a guaranteed value for money purchase. I would be interested to know how people who have come to this game without knowledge of the originals find it?

(in reply to Jason Petho)
Post #: 7
RE: Is this worth buying now? - 9/10/2007 8:21:52 PM   
Panzer Capta

Speaking of the old versions, I always thought that the cover of the EFII box was the best of all games i have ever seen....the Darth Vader looking german soldier still gives me the creeps.  Jason, is it possible to change the first EF screen (where one selects gameplay) in JTCS EF Module to the black silhouetted German soldier?

< Message edited by Panzer Captain -- 9/10/2007 8:23:03 PM >

(in reply to Viriathus)
Post #: 8
RE: Is this worth buying now? - 9/10/2007 8:35:54 PM   
Jason Petho

quote:

ORIGINAL: Panzer Captain

Speaking of the old versions, I always thought that the cover of the EFII box was the best of all games i have ever seen....the Darth Vader looking german soldier still gives me the creeps.  Jason, is it possible to change the first EF screen (where one selects gameplay) in JTCS EF Module to the black silhouetted German soldier?

I would imagine it could be added.

Jason Petho

(in reply to Panzer Capta)
Post #: 9
RE: Is this worth buying now? - 9/11/2007 12:56:24 AM   
sztartur2

quote:

ORIGINAL: Double Deuce

Mike who lured you into taking the plunge? :D

Artur.

"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.", Sun Tzu

Post #: 10
RE: Is this worth buying now? - 9/11/2007 3:58:23 AM   
DoubleDeuce

quote:

ORIGINAL: sztartur

Mike who lured you into taking the plunge? :D

Some dude from Hungary.

I always like this game it just kind of slipped to the back burner over time. Now, with some of the changes being made and having re-evaluated the depth of the Editor this might be a good engine for some future projects.

< Message edited by Double Deuce -- 9/11/2007 3:59:20 AM >

(in reply to sztartur2)
Post #: 11
RE: Is this worth buying now? - 9/11/2007 9:51:43 AM   
Noakesy

Thanks for the responses everyone - has anything actually changed from the original (I see mention re the editor but I was never much of one to make my own games anyway). My eldest son is now 13 and I'm thinking we could hotseat the game for a bit of fun. Pity the LCGs are still strictly against the AI as they used to be the only games I'd play on this.

Post #: 12
RE: Is this worth buying now? - 9/11/2007 4:07:01 PM   
Jason Petho

quote:

ORIGINAL: Noakesy

Thanks for the responses everyone - has anything actually changed from the original (I see mention re the editor but I was never much of one to make my own games anyway). My eldest son is now 13 and I'm thinking we could hotseat the game for a bit of fun. Pity the LCGs are still strictly against the AI as they used to be the only games I'd play on this.

Pity you limited yourself to just playing the LCG's.

This game truly shines when you are playing a human opponent, especially online or hotseat!

Jason Petho

(in reply to Noakesy)
Post #: 13
RE: Is this worth buying now? - 9/11/2007 8:57:11 PM   
Jason Petho

quote:

Thanks for the responses everyone - has anything actually changed from the original (I see mention re the editor but I was never much of one to make my own games anyway).

Here is an intro to the list of changes:

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1476058

Jason Petho

(in reply to Noakesy)
Post #: 14
RE: Is this worth buying now? - 9/11/2007 9:45:56 PM   
Noakesy

quote:

Pity you limited yourself to just playing the LCG's.
This game truly shines when you are playing a human opponent, especially online or hotseat!
Jason Petho

Thanks, I imagine I'll give it a go, and then play it against others. I enjoyed the LCGs, especially the Typhoon one. Will be buying this one now I reckon, thanks for all the comments.
Thanks

< Message edited by Noakesy -- 9/12/2007 10:04:44 AM >

(in reply to Jason Petho)
Post #: 15
RE: Is this worth buying now? - 9/12/2007 10:30:25 PM   
105mm Howitzer

I've owned both a Talonsoft released version called Europe Aflame, that shipped with East Front, West Front, and Sealion. About 2 years ago, East Front ( badly scratched ) finally refused to install on my new pc, had to scrap it. I saw Matrix finally releasing the campaign series ( was getting fed up with the usual " in progress" status report) I just purchased it today, and soon, panzers shall roll East once again....
Incidentally, one of the German avatars ( chap looking to his right, dressed in his going out uniform) looks like the spitting image of my brother-in-law. ( the irony being, he's Polish) I showed him the pic, he freaked out, wondered if I took his picture and modified it. Of course he denies having German descendents that fought in the war. ( riiiight.)

"Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum" - Publius Renatus, 390 A.D.

(in reply to Noakesy)
Post #: 16
RE: Is this worth buying now? - 9/12/2007 10:32:13 PM   
Arkady

A lot of Sileasians was forced to Wehrmacht 

(in reply to 105mm Howitzer)
Post #: 17
RE: Is this worth buying now? - 9/13/2007 12:03:45 AM   
Noakesy

A friend of mine is polish and her father was pressed into the Axis forces at Normandy - they fired over the heads of allies as they raced up the beach, but sadly the allies weren't to know that once they were into the defences.

(in reply to Arkady)
Post #: 18
RE: Is this worth buying now? - 9/13/2007 7:58:31 AM   
105mm Howitzer

Hey, I'm not complaining. My uncles were involved inthe "wrong" side in the last big one . ( lesee, one in Africa, one in Greece, another in Yugoslavia, and th elucky one was parked on the coast in Sardinia. Oh yeah, and Dad's unit got disbanded in 1943.
Just a total coicidence seeing one's in-laws in a wargame. Got a few chuckles, too..

"Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum" - Publius Renatus, 390 A.D.

(in reply to Noakesy)
Post #: 19
RE: Is this worth buying now? - 9/14/2007 10:02:29 AM   
Noakesy

Ok, taken the plunge and bought the game, and loaded up the first patch. Did someone say there's a temporary patch too? If so I've a couple of questions:
1. Is it very important, and if so what does it do?
2. Presumably this means that when the next 'official' patch comes out I'll have to remove the temporary one?

(in reply to 105mm Howitzer)
Post #: 20
RE: Is this worth buying now? - 9/14/2007 11:10:07 AM   
Arkady

1) see Temporary Patch 1.02B thread for details - http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1534517

2)no, you will install new patch over your current version

(in reply to Noakesy)
Post #: 21
RE: Is this worth buying now? - 9/14/2007 2:02:32 PM   
Noakesy

Hmmm, thanks - after reading it (and being an IT dunce) how far away is the official patch

(in reply to Arkady)
Post #: 22
RE: Is this worth buying now? - 9/14/2007 2:16:47 PM   
Geomitrak

Ever since East Front was released by Talonsoft ( yes, the original East Front, not EF2 ) I honestly don't think there has ever been a time where one or more of these games hasn't been on my hard disk with a scenario simmering away. Games may come and games may go, but these ones, along with the various incarnations of MSFS, are permanent fixtures.

There was never any possibility of me not buying the Matrix updated re-release.

(in reply to Noakesy)
Post #: 23
RE: Is this worth buying now? - 9/14/2007 3:14:12 PM   
Hertston

quote:

Hmmm, thanks - after reading it (and being an IT dunce) how far away is the official patch

Patching/improving has been an ongoing process so far, and Jason's comments have suggested that will continue, so I don't think it makes a lot of sense to talk of 'the' patch rather than the current/next patch. There are no show-shoppers in the game, and weren't with the initial Matrix release (other than the Vista thing, which was fixed pronto) and most of what is fixed in the temporary patch you probably wouldn't even notice unless you had played the games consistently for a while. I've played them on and off for years and hadn't in most cases! I'm not bothering with the temporary one, anyway.

< Message edited by Hertston -- 9/14/2007 3:15:25 PM >

(in reply to Noakesy)
Post #: 24
RE: Is this worth buying now? - 9/14/2007 3:25:11 PM   
1925frank

quote:

I manage to botch even the simplest procedures. There are instructions, but I haven't attempted installation yet.

You can play without 102b, but some scenarios won't function. If I'm not mistaken, some units won't fire, and others will appear only as question marks. I haven't encounered any of these scenarios, and I've been playing without 102b.

I read somewhere else that the tentative date for the 103 patch is before Christmas. The tentative date is probably just that.

My approach was to wait for the 103 patch unless the bugs were too annoying, and so far I'm content to wait. There are plenty of scenarios that work.

(in reply to Noakesy)
Post #: 25
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> John Tiller's Campaign Series >> Is this worth buying now? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI