Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Übercorsair and übercap

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> RE: Übercorsair and übercap Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Übercorsair and übercap - 9/12/2007 1:22:54 AM   
mdiehl

quote:

This is all true, but flying from an aircraft carrier is no picnic either, particularly at night or at war. To this day the thought of it turns my stomach. But you'd be surprised what people can get used to. You just deal with it.

Yes yes. But we're talking about land based Japanese air vs. land based USN/USMC aircraft for the bulk of the Guadalcanal campaign... which is where Nik and Chez keep bringing up fatigue.

Show me a fellow who rejects statistical analysis a priori and I'll show you a fellow who has no knowledge of statistics.

Didn't we have this conversation already?

(in reply to mdiehl)
Post #: 91
RE: Übercorsair and übercap - 9/12/2007 1:53:02 AM   
TheElf

quote:

ORIGINAL: mdiehl
Nope. It's only a moral good on the part of the person who doesn't initiate the offense.

So by that rational, I take it your moral good bit only applies to offense taken by you...

quote:

quote:

Wow. You really don't see how I might have you at a bit of a disadvantage?

Nope. I really don't.

Ok...

quote:

quote:

Not that I lack faith in you, but I don't see how this will lead to a rousing debate.

It's not supposed to lead to a debate, rousing or otherwise. It's just supposed to lead to the generation of a list. I invited Chez and Nik a long time ago to put together a comprehensive list of intangibles that they wanted covered when I assemble the tallies. Crickets chirped.

Actually it is. You called me a troll and I accepted your challenge to prove otherwise. Don;t tell me you are bugging out? And since when is anythin you post here NOT supposed to lead to debate with someone?

quote:

quote:

What would scare me about long flights in the case you are referring to is that after the first hour, knowing you were a long way form enemy territory you'd begin to relax. &c

If I understand all that right, the critical threat would be inattentiveness at some interval distant from Rabaul, but prior to the adrenaline rush that would kick in as one anticipated the approach to Lunga. Something like 1 hour out from Rabaul and, I dunno, 20 minutes away from Henderson?

Remember the part where I asked you if you didn't think I had you at a disadvantage? Ok let's try this again. You're bored, you're tired. You've let your guard down. After 4 hours its tough to get things wired. Sometimes something has to jar you back to reality. You don't have any indication of the enemy's whereabouts no tipper, no gouge, no SA, no purple, no GCI; you may even doubt your own exact position or that the enemy is even about, until "WHAM" your wingman blows up, or you see a flicker of something in your peripheral vision and you hear the distinctive sound of rounds perforating your plane.

Why would I lose or doubt my position? I'm good right? I can navigate, I can look down at the islands and match up my position with the terrain...Yes usually, sometimes, probably, but Human error and perception can't always be trusted right? you say as much when you talk about believing a pilots recall of events and whether he can CONFIRM a kill or admit to a probable...

I'm not saying that this happened EVERY time, but the insidious nature of long flights can really take you out of it until something happens to get your attention. That isn't to say that you can't wake yourself up and get ready, but. But thats just you. Not the rest of your flight and even then it isn't nearly as charged up as say scrambling from your field and riding that high right into the battle.

quote:

quote:

hmmm...math geek huh? What's the other subject?

Something else.

Sounds fishy. Is this an ace up your sleeve or a joker? Ok I'll have a go...beauty school? Airport management? Don't say communications, that's just embarrassing.

quote:

quote:

Edit: I should mention that I have flown and fought hung over. Very similar to the effects you are referring to. It was my first DACT with an F-15C. My Marine WSO and I dominated.

That's the kind of thing I think you could really say a lot about and with great authority. Not "being hungover" but rather what does fatigue feel like, how does it affect you etc.

Not all that other stuff I said? That was just crazy talk right?

quote:

There are independent studies that compare sleep loss to inebriation (I'm thinking here of some studies of WW2 skippers, and also long haul truck drivers in the US). Those studies are in part why I think the effects of "living at Henderson" are, by some, understated.

I think I must have assumed you'd get that I was not only hung over, but suffering from sleep loss too...still nothing a bit of adrenaline couldn't fix for me in this case, and as I mentioned it didn't affect my performance.

Ok nite nite. I have policy to formulate in the morning...

IN PERPETUUM SINGULARIS SEDES

(in reply to mdiehl)
Post #: 92
RE: Übercorsair and übercap - 9/12/2007 2:04:37 AM   
TheElf

quote:

quote:

This is all true, but flying from an aircraft carrier is no picnic either, particularly at night or at war. To this day the thought of it turns my stomach. But you'd be surprised what people can get used to. You just deal with it.

Yes yes. But we're talking about land based Japanese air vs. land based USN/USMC aircraft for the bulk of the Guadalcanal campaign... which is where Nik and Chez keep bringing up fatigue.

dammit. I am suffering from loss of sleep now.

My point was that even normal operation from a carrier is a strain on the human psyche, something I can attest to and try to relate here. What you go through just in peace time operations is not normal stress by any standard. It's constant fear of death and people aren't even shooting at you.

Add to that a dark that you couldn't even possibly imagine and things ratchet up a notch. And nothing has even gone wrong yet, we're just talking about normal ops. There are some that can't handle it. Nevermind combat op tempo...

Everytime we brief a flight we are reminded of our mortality, it's in our briefing guide. We're forced to talk about it. How many times a day in the last ten years have you been reminded of your mortality?

But you get used to it. You joke about it. It becomes routine, until one beautiful sunny day in the Med as you go into tension on Cat 4, you hear the boss scream "eject! eject! eject" and your heart jumps out of your throat as you wonder if he means you. Then you watch a Tomcat on Cat 1 dribble of the front end and flop into the water after it's nose gear disintegrates.

Can you see the connection I am making here? If not it'll have to wait til tomorrow. Til then anyone else who gets it feel free to help our friend.

< Message edited by TheElf -- 9/12/2007 2:12:25 AM >

IN PERPETUUM SINGULARIS SEDES

(in reply to mdiehl)
Post #: 93
RE: Übercorsair and übercap - 9/12/2007 2:10:23 AM   
ctangus

quote:

quote:

What's been your experience with these fighters in your games?

That the USN should not engage enemy CVs prior to August 1942. Beyond that I have not played the game. I regard the air combat model as rather hopelessly snagged.

No need to be so pessimistic. You're a math geek like me. I'm sure if you play the game some more you'll get better.

(in reply to mdiehl)
Post #: 94
RE: Übercorsair and übercap - 9/12/2007 2:13:21 AM   
Terminus

quote:

ORIGINAL: TheElf

Can you see the connection I am making here? If not it'll have to wait til tomorrow. Til then anyone else who gets it feel free to help our friend.

Well, I'm pretty sure I see as much of the connection as is possible without having any experience as a naval aviator. However, I doubt certain other parties will ever want to see the connection.

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to TheElf)
Post #: 95
RE: Übercorsair and übercap - 9/12/2007 2:24:53 AM   
mdiehl

quote:

So by that rational, I take it your moral good bit only applies to offense taken by you...

No, it's a chronological order thing. Read back a bit. You jumped in on my retaliation against Chez for Chez's ad hominem rhetoric (his: "Of course, you wouldn't know anything about how the game really works, would you?"). All Chez has to do is forbear that sort of chickenshit. If he won't, he's fair game. All YOU had to do was either stay out of it, or simply address the argument, rather than piling on as you did.

quote:

Actually it is. You called me a troll and I accepted your challenge to prove otherwise.

Mm. Not sure what the demand is. I'm not claiming that you weren't trolling. My claim is that you were trolling when you said: "Had to sneak that one in there. To the unintiated this is what we call bait..." and again here: "Hook. Line... and Sinker." You clearly were not addressing any pertinent element of the debate, and you straight up admitted to trying to provoke me.

I wasn't trying to "bait" anyone. For you to presume to know my intent and carry on as you did was, to any reasonable person, "trolling."

quote:

Don;t tell me you are bugging out?

More trolling.

quote:

And since when is anythin you post here NOT supposed to lead to debate with someone?

And more presumption of intent.

quote:

Remember the part where I asked you if you didn't think I had you at a disadvantage?

I still don't think so.

quote:

Ok let's try this again. You're bored, you're tired. You've let your guard down. After 4 hours its tough to get things wired. Sometimes something has to jar you back to reality. You don't have any indication of the enemy's whereabouts no tipper, no gouge, no SA, no purple, no GCI; you may even doubt your own exact position or that the enemy is even about, until "WHAM" your wingman blows up, or you see a flicker of something in your peripheral vision and you hear the distinctive sound of rounds perforating your plane.

Perhaps so. But in the Solomons, it was generally the case that the Japanese had a rather good idea of where the enemy was (roughly within 25 miles of Lunga). And at Lunga in particular it was rarely the case that the Americans had the advantage of tactical surprise. Even with the first radar sets, the early warning was just sufficient for the Wildcats to become airborne and achieve an altitude roughly comparable to the inbound strikes. Some days that worked out well for the Wildcats, other days it was all bolt out of the sky no warning Japanese planes. Most of the time the engagements were similar to complex meeting engagements.

quote:

Why would I lose or doubt my position? I'm good right? I can navigate, I can look down at the islands and match up my position with the terrain...Yes usually, sometimes, probably, but Human error and perception can't always be trusted right? you say as much when you talk about believing a pilots recall of events and whether he can CONFIRM a kill or admit to a probable...

I'm not saying that this happened EVERY time, but the insidious nature of long flights can really take you out of it until something happens to get your attention. That isn't to say that you can't wake yourself up and get ready, but. But thats just you. Not the rest of your flight and even then it isn't nearly as charged up as say scrambling from your field and riding that high right into the battle.

Sure. That is I believe all of that. And that sort of thing didn't happen every time. I'm not even sure you could say it happened "most of the time," or even "often." Or that when it did happen, the Japanese (fatigued as they were) weren't being opposed by pilots so sleep deprived as to perform as though inebriated.

I'm not saying fatigue doesn't matter. I'm saying it matters no matter what causes it.

quote:

Sounds fishy. Is this an ace up your sleeve or a joker?

Heh. There's no way to play the card. No matter how it lands, it doesn't have any bearing on the discussion, because "proof by authority" isn't worth a cup o' coffee in my book.

quote:

Not all that other stuff I said? That was just crazy talk right?

?

Are you fatigued?

quote:

I think I must have assumed you'd get that I was not only hung over, but suffering from sleep loss too...still nothing a bit of adrenaline couldn't fix for me in this case, and as I mentioned it didn't affect my performance.

Then I think you are an unusual fellow, by pilot standards, that you can be hung over and sleep deprived, and maintain that you were unaffected by it, where the merely bored Japanese pilots were in dire straits.

Show me a fellow who rejects statistical analysis a priori and I'll show you a fellow who has no knowledge of statistics.

(in reply to mdiehl)
Post #: 96
RE: Übercorsair and übercap - 9/12/2007 2:33:32 AM   
Yamato hugger

Seriously mdiehl, why are you here?

You dont play the game, yet you try talk like you have played for years. You dont really seem to have anything to contribute here, just talking for the sake of talking I guess, yes? See how much you can stir the pot?

Bad attention is better than no attention? Is that it? I pity you.

Shoo pest.

(in reply to mdiehl)
Post #: 97
RE: Übercorsair and übercap - 9/12/2007 3:00:02 AM   
mdiehl

quote:

Seriously mdiehl, why are you here? You dont play the game, yet you try talk like you have played for years.

WitP isn't being all that it could be. I don't play the game, because I'm an original owner of GGPW and UV, both games from which WitP borrows heavily in design, and have played WitP enough to know it shares the same elementary design flaws of these two previous games. As a matter of preference, I'd love to see a game where the design improves on GGPW, rather than one that offers up a substantially more complicated version that is known to produce wierd results. Call me crazy, but I have this idea that if every time someone says something that isn't supported by the facts in a discussion like this, pointing it out eventually filters back to a game designer, somewhere, who might be entertaining the idea of trying to revise this game, or write a new one.

If you mean "why are you here in this thread?" the answer is that I enjoy comparing WW2 IRL vs that which consims produce. The opening post of this thread seemed to indicate great complaint at the results of a particular AAR. All I did was point out that the results weren't particularly implausible for a late war engagement of the magnitude envisioned.

All that has proceeded thereafter from all contributors has been a combination of historical discussion and baloney.

quote:

You dont really seem to have anything to contribute here, just talking for the sake of talking I guess, yes? See how much you can stir the pot?

What have you contributed then, exactly? A couple of noncommital shrugs and this little diatribe now against me? Hell, if I'm a "pest," I'll claim the virtue of being a pest with a relevant point.

quote:

Bad attention is better than no attention? Is that it?

Nope. That's not it.

quote:

I pity you.

<shrug>

I pity the Chicago Cubs, but that's just me speaking as a satisfied member of Red Sox Nation.

< Message edited by mdiehl -- 9/12/2007 3:03:00 AM >

(in reply to Yamato hugger)
Post #: 98
RE: Übercorsair and übercap - 9/12/2007 3:21:16 AM   
ChezDaJez

quote:

quote:
I said:
But you're right... I am ignorant of your version of WWII history... you know, your version of history that says the Japanese should never have won a single battle anywhere, anytime or in anyway. To hear you tell it, Pearl Harbor should have been a resounding Amercan victory. And to think the rest of us have been reading all those lies by Lundstrom, Shores, Bergstrom, Parshall et al.

You said:
I've never made any of those claims or anything remotely like 'em. If you could provide a quote, your credibility may be restored.

Not in exact words but that has the gist of every posting you have ever made. And as far as my credibility goes, I don't give rat's behind as to whether you find me credible or not. Its the other members of this forum that will determine my credibility, not you and your constant denunciation of other's opinions.

Of course, when asked to put up or shut up with facts, you don't provide any. You claim equality yet you don't provide the actual numbers that prove it... only a summation of what you SAY you have done. Oh, I forgot... it's a work in progress. Yeah, okay.

quote:

The challenge, then, is to figure out how other intangibles such as force ratios, perceived mission (fixation on intercepting bombers to the detriment of defending self, and that sort of thing), range, secure non-combat area, &c, fit into the mix. It's not the sort of thing one does in a few months, not even if one limits oneself to the USN campaigns and Guadalcanal, unless one does this sort of thing for a living.

i assume of course that you are willng to apply the same standard to the Japanese? Oh, silly me... that's not your style, is it? If it ain't US, it ain't worth a hoot. That's your style... about as natiocentric as they come.

quote:

quote:

Oh, can't have that can we? Got to throw out any fact that slews the result away from your preconceived notion, right? Just like you wanted to throw out the air combat over Darwin with the P-40s and Zeros.

Look, we all know that you are adept at attempting character assasination, even though you make a poor job of it. But the fact is I never said I wanted to throw out the air combat over Darwin. Find any place where I did. What I said was that there are intangibles. You and, as I recall, Nik, seem to think that Zeroes operating at long range to Guadalcanal was an important intangible that subtantially adversely affected A6M performance there. It is a reasonable claim to make, albeit one that I think is overstated based on the evidence. But if it is fair game to note such intangibles, where they adversely affect the Japanese, it is also fair game to track the ones that adversely affected the Allies.

Tap dancing but you forgot to put the taps on the shoes. And there you go again... everytime the US aircraft suffered higher losses in combat, you attempt to explain it away with "intangibles." Oh, they were taking off... oh, they were at low power settings... oh, they were kept awake all night.... oh, they didn't have breakfast... oh, they forgot to wipe their butts...

Intangibles work both ways. Take the Guadalcanal campaign for example. You arbitrarily dismiss the fatiguing effects of flying daya after day 3-4 hours to engage in a 30 minute battle and then flying 3-4 hours back, sometimes in a damaged aircraft that requires all your strength and concentration to keep it in the air. But then you turn around and say that US pilots were more fatigued because of an occasional Japanese night nuisance raid and the fact that they had to sit on alert waiting for the bombers to appear. Of course, you fail to mention that the Wildcats were seldom in the air for more than an hour at a time.

Yet you fail to include the intangibles that allowed the Wildcat to be successful on defense such as radar and coast watchers. Without this early warning, the Wildcats would seldom have been in position to intercept. It's what's known as a force multiplier. Indeed, the ability of radar to detect and then direct Wildcats to the enemy certainly was the most important factor in allowing Wildcats to engage at virtually every battle it fought in. Because its obvious that the Wildcat certainly wouldn't have had the time to climb to altitude without it. But that doesn't fit your opininion that the Wildcat was the equal of the Zero, does it.

Another intangible that greatly benefitted the US was tactical innovation, something the Japanese singularly failed to appreciate. If pilots like Thatch and Flatley hadn't discarded their tactical training and developed new tactics to counter the Zero's strongpoints, the US pilots would certainly have suffered higher casualties. The AVG is a prime example. By adopting slashing attacks, they negated any numerical advantage the Japanese had.

quote:

As to Darwin, see: http://home.st.net.au/~dunn/darwin02.htm

By my reading that's 36A6Ms at full power setting attacking a CAP of 5 P-40s, with 5 more P-40s on the ground refueling, and five P-40s bounced while scrambling to take off. Not exactly any intelligent person's idea of a meeting engagement or even a meeting of aircraft on roughly even terms, even if we ignore the 7:1 initial force ratio advantage favoring the Japanese.

That's why intagibles matter.

The link you posted is typically of your mindset. "Oh, gee, let's use a single internet source that is one-sided and accept it as gospel."

But okay, have it your way... we'll use it. Of course, you failed to mention that the site states that 6 Zeros were busy strafing Brathurst Island and that 9 Zeros had engaged a Catalina and become separated from the main force. So of those 36 Zeros you say engaged, only 21 were actually available to engage the 5 P-40s on CAP. And of course we don't know how many Zeros really engaged the CAP while the others dove down to strafe the P-40s attempting to take off, do we.

Oh, but they were surprised! Oh, duh, I forgot, can't have that, can we. It's one of your intangibles you want to include. Why do you never include surprise against a Japanese force as an intangible? Yeah, yeah, I know... it's not how you play this game...

quote:

That is not correct. In any case, in the Marianas engagement most of the Japanese pilots from the IJN CVs were extensively trained. Not as extensively experienced as their forerunners of the Kido Butai of 1941-1942, but substantially trained nonetheless. How they compare in training vs the slight experienced and highly trained American pilots who comprised TF58/38's regular air crews is not easy to quantify.

And your source for that statement would be......? Substantially trained... hmmm.... yeah, okay. More than 70% of these pilots had never seen combat and only the flight leaders had any substantial combat experience. According to the "Battle History of the Imperial Japanese Navy, 1941-1945", most pilots had less than 100 hours in the air. Hardly call that substantially trained. The US pilots at this point in time were better trained and had more experience in type and in battle.

Let's look at the actual results from the Marianas Turkey Shoot... specifically the part the Japanese carriers played in it. And we'll use a few facts... something you are adverse at doing.

Ozawa had 3 carrier squadrons, a total of 9 carriers. 3 of these were fleet carriers, 3 were CVLs and the last 3 were somewhere in between. Between them they carried a mximum complement of 431 aircraft: 249 fighters, 113 dive bombers and 69 torpedo planes. How many were operationally is not known but we'll assume that a significant portion (90+%) was.

The US had a total of 15 carriers: 7 fleet carriers and 8 CVLs. Maximum aircraft complement consisted of 902 aircraft: 476 fighters, 233 dive bombers and 193 torpedo planes. We'll use the same assumption for the US in regards to operational aircraft.

On 19 June 44, Ozawa launched 4 strikes. The US fleet had over 200 fighters on CAP. FD directed them in successive waves to their targets.

The first consisted of 90 aircraft. 42 were shot down with 25 of those attributed to fighters, the rest to AA. The attack damaged the South Dakota.

The second strike consisted 128 aircraft. 97 were shot down with 70 attributed to fighters. Several managed to attack the US carriers but scored no hits.

The third strike consised of 47 aircraft. 7 were lost to fighters and none to AA.

The fourth strike was given the wrong position and 49 diverted to Guam. 27 Hellcats intercepted and shot down 30 while landing. The remainder found TF 58.2 and attacked. Of the 33 that attacked, 24 were shot down: 9 to fighters, the rest to AA. This strike achieved no hits.

So, of the 347 carrier aircraft launched, 200 were shot down, 141 of those to fighters. 75% of these total losses were bombers. The Japanese lost 43 fighters in air-air combat but it should be noted that of the 14 fighters that accompanied the third strike, all but 5 carried bombs. The US lost 23 fighters in air-air combat.

Impressive results to be sure but a 2:1 numerical superiority in fighters, radar, good FD, and plenty of flight decks tends to produce them. However, the losses in fighters was only a 2:1 ratio in favor of the US and reflects the original 2:1 numerical superiority in fighters.

Please, if you wish to dispute these facts... do so with facts, not rhetoric, not wishful thinking but with facts.

Chez

Ret Navy AWCS (1972-1998)
VP-5, Jacksonville, Fl 1973-78
ASW Ops Center, Rota, Spain 1978-81
VP-40, Mt View, Ca 1981-87
Patrol Wing 10, Mt View, CA 1987-90
ASW Ops Center, Adak, Ak 1990-92
NRD Seattle 1992-96
VP-46, Whidbey Isl, Wa 1996-98

(in reply to mdiehl)
Post #: 99
RE: Übercorsair and übercap - 9/12/2007 3:26:46 AM   
Bombur

quote:

And your source for that statement would be......? Substantially trained... hmmm.... yeah, okay. More than 70% of these pilots had never seen combat and only the flight leaders had any substantial combat experience. According to the "Battle History of the Imperial Japanese Navy, 1941-1945", most pilots had less than 100 hours in the air. Hardly call that substantially trained. The US pilots at this point in time were better trained and had more experience in type and in battle.

Let's look at the actual results from the Marianas Turkey Shoot... specifically the part the Japanese carriers played in it. And we'll use a few facts... something you are adverse at doing.

Ozawa had 3 carrier squadrons, a total of 9 carriers. 3 of these were fleet carriers, 3 were CVLs and the last 3 were somewhere in between. Between them they carried a mximum complement of 431 aircraft: 249 fighters, 113 dive bombers and 69 torpedo planes. How many were operationally is not known but we'll assume that a significant portion (90+%) was.

The US had a total of 15 carriers: 7 fleet carriers and 8 CVLs. Maximum aircraft complement consisted of 902 aircraft: 476 fighters, 233 dive bombers and 193 torpedo planes. We'll use the same assumption for the US in regards to operational aircraft.

On 19 June 44, Ozawa launched 4 strikes. The US fleet had over 200 fighters on CAP. FD directed them in successive waves to their targets.

The first consisted of 90 aircraft. 42 were shot down with 25 of those attributed to fighters, the rest to AA. The attack damaged the South Dakota.

The second strike consisted 128 aircraft. 97 were shot down with 70 attributed to fighters. Several managed to attack the US carriers but scored no hits.

The third strike consised of 47 aircraft. 7 were lost to fighters and none to AA.

The fourth strike was given the wrong position and 49 diverted to Guam. 27 Hellcats intercepted and shot down 30 while landing. The remainder found TF 58.2 and attacked. Of the 33 that attacked, 24 were shot down: 9 to fighters, the rest to AA. This strike achieved no hits.

So, of the 347 carrier aircraft launched, 200 were shot down, 141 of those to fighters. 75% of these total losses were bombers. The Japanese lost 43 fighters in air-air combat but it should be noted that of the 14 fighters that accompanied the third strike, all but 5 carried bombs. The US lost 23 fighters in air-air combat.

Impressive results to be sure but a 2:1 numerical superiority in fighters, radar, good FD, and plenty of flight decks tends to produce them. However, the losses in fighters was only a 2:1 ratio in favor of the US and reflects the original 2:1 numerical superiority in fighters.

Please, if you wish to dispute these facts... do so with facts, not rhetoric, not wishful thinking but with facts.

Chez

-Thank you for data. I always wanted to know what were the results of fighter vs fighter combat over the Marianas (I estimated them on 4:1 assuming 2/3 of losses being bombers and 240 planes shot down). But have a little question. What were op. losses for US fighters in this specific action (not counting those lost in the night attacks against IJN fleet). And what were the combat losses in the defense of IJN carriers?

(in reply to ChezDaJez)
Post #: 100
RE: Übercorsair and übercap - 9/12/2007 3:41:41 AM   
ChezDaJez

quote:

No, it's a chronological order thing. Read back a bit. You jumped in on my retaliation against Chez for Chez's ad hominem rhetoric (his: "Of course, you wouldn't know anything about how the game really works, would you?"). All Chez has to do is forbear that sort of chickenshit. If he won't, he's fair game. All YOU had to do was either stay out of it, or simply address the argument, rather than piling on as you did.

TJ certainly taught you well, didn't he. Bet you got that word, "ad hominem" written on a sticky note stuck to your computer.

And as far as my assertion that you don't know anything about how the games works is fact. Playing an early version of game (one that you never bought but loaded onto your computer anyways... isn't that in violation of the copyright?) for a few game months as an allied player hardly makes you qualified to make broad statments about the game, especially the late-war period. The game has problems, everyone knows that. We don't need powderpuffs coming in to tell us that. We have experienced it in great detail.

That's why there are so many mods to improve it. Of course, you wouldn't know anything of the mods, would you? (Oh, there I go again... ad hominem attacks).

It's kind of like you telling me how to look like an idiot. I wouldn't know as I have no experience in that regard but you certainly do (damn, stop that, Chez!).

We ask you to prove your point. You told us that you were going to do a compilation of the data. You come back, we ask where is it? You say, I'm working on it. We ask, "How long." Long time you say. BS. The best thing you could do is leave, compile your facts and return when you have data to support your position. Until then, you're just a fart in the wind.

You see, I have no respect for someone who comes in here and tries to be all that when they haven't a clue as to the game mechanics. If you had bought the game and played it for a substantial period, then you would have some credibility. As it is, you have none, zero, zilch.

Chez

NRD Seattle 1992-96

(in reply to mdiehl)
Post #: 101
RE: Übercorsair and übercap - 9/12/2007 3:43:19 AM   
ChezDaJez

Hey, ya know.. this is fun!

Chez

NRD Seattle 1992-96

(in reply to ChezDaJez)
Post #: 102
RE: Übercorsair and übercap - 9/12/2007 3:55:00 AM   
Doggie

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joe D.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Doggie
... The F-6F and F-4U could literally fly rings around the A6M. It wasn't even a contest; the kill ratios speak for themselves ...

19:1 for the F6F -- the highest of any US Pacific fighter -- and about 11:1 for the Corsair, but I don't think this thread is about anything factual.

You've noticed that too, huh? It seems it's about "I shot down plenty of corsairs playing Combat flight simulator so I know the zero was better".

quote:

Thanks for the input Doggie, but I am not arguing history here

That's pretty obvious. It seems you have a lot of time on your hands and are looking to be a hero to a bunch of high school kids whose historical perspective is limited to Can Superman beat up Mighty Mouse

quote:

Of course, the main question that these Steakhouse Morons always refuse to answer is:
"Why do you care so much about a game that you don't own and don't play?"
Doggie? mdiehl?? Beuller??? Anyone????

So you have a private eye who reports back to you on who owns what game? I don't believe I ever mentioned a game; just some observations on factual military history. That seems to be the same thing Mister M'deihl is trying in vain to do.

I admit to a disadvantage here as I'm not a high school kid who knows it all. I was an actual military aviator, although I don't claim to be a top gun or even an officer and a gentleman, and I've met a few people who actually flew world war II era fighters. Most pilots will agree that a fast roll rate and superior speed trumps a small turning radius, especially when the pilot is trained to use his aircraft's strengths to his advantage. Today it's called "Dissimilar air combat manovering"; in 1942 it was condensed into "don't get low and slow with an A6M" and it seemed to work to the allies advantage, as mobs of veteran expertly trained samurai died screaming in their superior A6Ms at the hands of dumb ass American aviators and their obsolete aircraft.

The fact is the A6M was never a wonder weapon, and low wing loading was the only real advantage it had. Maybe our resident top gun can take the time to explain how an aircraft with a better roll rate can manoever inside one with a smaller turn radius, especially when it has more power available in the form of a larger engine. I find this concept hard to get across without the aid of diagrams, but the technique is described in Robert Johnson's Thunderbolt in a passage about how P-47 pilots utilized their phenomenal roll rate and big radial engine to "out turn" the technically more manoeverable Bf-109.

But of course this involves actual physics and real history, not an abstract "attack value" in some computer game.

But it seems some people here are more interested in slobbering on the ketchup bottles and annoying the adults than actual history.

< Message edited by Doggie -- 9/12/2007 3:57:36 AM >

(in reply to Joe D.)
Post #: 103
RE: Übercorsair and übercap - 9/12/2007 4:20:27 AM   
ChezDaJez

quote:

dammit. I am suffering from loss of sleep now.

My point was that even normal operation from a carrier is a strain on the human psyche, something I can attest to and try to relate here. What you go through just in peace time operations is not normal stress by any standard. It's constant fear of death and people aren't even shooting at you.

Add to that a dark that you couldn't even possibly imagine and things ratchet up a notch. And nothing has even gone wrong yet, we're just talking about normal ops. There are some that can't handle it. Nevermind combat op tempo...

Everytime we brief a flight we are reminded of our mortality, it's in our briefing guide. We're forced to talk about it. How many times a day in the last ten years have you been reminded of your mortality?

But you get used to it. You joke about it. It becomes routine, until one beautiful sunny day in the Med as you go into tension on Cat 4, you hear the boss scream "eject! eject! eject" and your heart jumps out of your throat as you wonder if he means you. Then you watch a Tomcat on Cat 1 dribble of the front end and flop into the water after it's nose gear disintegrates.

Nicely stated, Elf.

Fatigue during flight ops is something mdiehl will never understand.

As a naval aircrewman with 9000 hours in P-3s, I am well aquainted with fatigue. I've seen what it can do to people in peacetime, including myself. I just looked in my flight log book for the period 1 Sep 1983 through 22 Sep 1983. I had 19 flights and 164 flight hours in that period flying search and rescue ops on KAL007. I was grounded for 72 hrs in the middle of the oepration for exceeding peacetime requirements. I can tell you what fatigue during aerial operations is like. You become a walking zombie. And that was in peacetime... now add the rigors of war with death ever likely.

Chez

Thankfully, I never had to operate from a carrier ( I did get a couple of traps and cats during the 70s in an old S2G Stooge prop job.

NRD Seattle 1992-96

(in reply to TheElf)
Post #: 104
RE: Übercorsair and übercap - 9/12/2007 4:47:39 AM   
Rainer

Actually, it's not.
This thread only shows how bad manners lead to nothing.
I fully support your view, but I do not think calling mdiehl what he is will help.

(in reply to ChezDaJez)
Post #: 105
RE: Übercorsair and übercap - 9/12/2007 5:10:09 AM   
ctangus

For Doggie & mdiehl:

Correct me if I'm wrong but you seem to have the impression that the A6M2, in the game, vastly (and ahistorically) outperforms the F4F. That's just not the case in my experience. My earliest-date allied game is now in early July '42. (I have another in Mar '44.) If anything the F4F is performing slightly too well (not that I'm complaining.) Anyway, here's the last 2 engagements that my F4Fs were involved in:

06/07/42
Day Air attack on TF, near Port Moresby at 54,93
Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 35
G3M Nell x 22
G4M1 Betty x 9
Allied aircraft
F4F-3 Wildcat x 16
F4F-4 Wildcat x 6
Kittyhawk I x 9
P-40E Warhawk x 15
Japanese aircraft losses
A6M2 Zero: 12 destroyed, 1 damaged
G3M Nell: 5 destroyed, 3 damaged
G4M1 Betty: 3 damaged
Allied aircraft losses
F4F-3 Wildcat: 1 destroyed, 5 damaged
F4F-4 Wildcat: 1 damaged
Kittyhawk I: 1 destroyed, 3 damaged
P-40E Warhawk: 3 destroyed
Allied Ships
PC Albatros
AK Mungana, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage sinks
PC Beneb, Torpedo hits 3, on fire, heavy damage sinks
AK Murada
AK Mildura, Torpedo hits 1, on fire
It was a bit of a bummer to lose 1 PC & 1 AK, but most of my supplies had already unloaded & the air losses were vastly in my favor
=============================================
06/02/42
Day Air attack on Port Moresby , at 54,93
Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 88
G3M Nell x 58
G4M1 Betty x 27
Allied aircraft
F4F-4 Wildcat x 8
Kittyhawk I x 14
P-40E Warhawk x 24
Japanese aircraft losses
A6M2 Zero: 22 destroyed, 5 damaged
G3M Nell: 4 destroyed, 9 damaged
G4M1 Betty: 2 destroyed, 8 damaged
Allied aircraft losses
F4F-4 Wildcat: 5 destroyed
Kittyhawk I: 2 destroyed, 2 damaged
P-40E Warhawk: 12 destroyed
B-25C Mitchell: 1 destroyed
Beaufort V-IX: 2 destroyed
A-20B Boston: 1 destroyed
F-4 Lightning: 1 destroyed
Allied ground losses:
20 casualties reported
Guns lost 1
Airbase hits 3
Runway hits 5
All of my LBs and some of my fighters were destroyed on the ground. Despite that I still scored better than 1:1 and my opponent suspended airfield attacks against PM after that battle. I'll take it.

Sure the A6M2 wasn't a wonder weapon. Good for the time, & slightly surprising to the allies. Racked up some good scores over PI, Malaya & the DEI. But it could be beaten IRL. And it can be beaten in the game.

I don't think I understand your criticism of the game. I do agree that the A6M2 shouldn't perform like an F-16, but it doesn't. If you even halfway know what you're doing you can kill them in the hundreds, even early war.

(in reply to Doggie)
Post #: 106
RE: Übercorsair and übercap - 9/12/2007 5:13:47 AM   
Yamato hugger

No, mdiehl I dont mean in this thread, I mean in this forum in general. This forum is for WitP, there is a forum for UV, and there is a forum for PacWar. Im surprised you didnt understand my meaning, but thats fine.

As for what I have contributed, I have helped people to understand the mechanics of the game better for one thing. I have help find and eliminate some of the bugs in the game to hopefully make it a more enjoyable experience for anyone that gives the game an honest shot. I am not going to stand here and blow my own horn for this and that that I have done. Suffice it to say I have contributed in various ways. I can do that because I actually play the game.

I too played PacWar from its original box form right through all the patches until it was no longer supported. Which was about the same time WitP came out coincidently. But I fail to understand why you are here. As I pointed out, there are other forums for those games. And as a veteran of those other games, I can tell you that this isnt the same. Simular? Sure. But not the same.

I stand by my statement that I believe you need bad attention as it is better than no attention, and further I do pity you. And frankly since you have no idea what THIS game is or what it is about, you talking about it means nothing to me or to anyone else, so as I said - bad attention is better, well you know what I mean dont you? That in and of itself makes you a pest, yes.

Have a nice day.

Edit:
Pest - noun A mischievious person.
Mischievious - adjective Causing mischief, harmful, fond of mischief, troublesome in conduct.

Just thought I would spell it out for you in no uncertain terms.

< Message edited by Yamato hugger -- 9/12/2007 5:20:35 AM >

(in reply to mdiehl)
Post #: 107
RE: Übercorsair and übercap - 9/12/2007 5:17:30 AM   
Joe D.

quote:

... The fact is the A6M was never a wonder weapon, and low wing loading was the only real advantage it had. But of course this involves actual physics and real history, not an abstract "attack value" in some computer game ...

From the Encyclopedia of Aircraft of World War II: The Zero was fast and agile when it first entered service, but it had poor diving ability, "woefully inadequate armour" and a "relatively light punch."

Despite this, the Zero did very well vs. ill-trained Chinese airman flying Polikarpovs as it gained a reputation of invincibility, but this "reputation lasted long after the aircraft had lost it's edge. "

Stratford, Connecticut, U.S.A.

"The Angel of Okinawa"

Home of the Chance-Vought Corsair, F4U
The best fighter-bomber of World War II

(in reply to Doggie)
Post #: 108
RE: Übercorsair and übercap - 9/12/2007 5:31:19 AM   
Mike Scholl

quote:

The fact is the A6M was never a wonder weapon, and low wing loading was the only real advantage it had.

Not quite correct, Doggie. It also had incredible range and endurance compared to all contemporary designs..., and part of it's reputation resulted from it's appearance where no-one expected it.

(in reply to Doggie)
Post #: 109
RE: Übercorsair and übercap - 9/12/2007 6:18:08 AM   
ChezDaJez

quote:

So you have a private eye who reports back to you on who owns what game? I don't believe I ever mentioned a game; just some observations on factual military history. That seems to be the same thing Mister M'deihl is trying in vain to do.

Ho hum...

You see this is a forum about a game, not about military history. The fact that the game attempts to recreate (or simulate if you will) a portion of that history is not germane. Give the limited budget that game designers and companies work with, it's amazing that the game dose function albeit with a few warts.

quote:

I admit to a disadvantage here as I'm not a high school kid who knows it all. I was an actual military aviator, although I don't claim to be a top gun or even an officer and a gentleman, and I've met a few people who actually flew world war II era fighters.

Wow, an actual military aviator... can I touch you? You obviously haven't read my sig line. I have an hour or two in the air myself. And while I don't know what aircrew position or what service your were in, I can tell you that I operated all the sensor equipment (sonar, radar, ESM, MAD, IRDS, etc) in the P-3 Orion (yeah, a patrol plane but a damn good one) and think I have a pretty clear view of military operations gained from my 26 years of naval service.

quote:

Most pilots will agree that a fast roll rate and superior speed trumps a small turning radius, especially when the pilot is trained to use his aircraft's strengths to his advantage. Today it's called "Dissimilar air combat manovering"; in 1942 it was condensed into "don't get low and slow with an A6M" and it seemed to work to the allies advantage, as mobs of veteran expertly trained samurai died screaming in their superior A6Ms at the hands of dumb ass American aviators and their obsolete aircraft.

Neither of which the Wildcat had. The only time the Wildcat could roll faster was above speeds of 250kts.

And I don't believe anyone has said that American aviators were dumbasses. Those are your words. What has been said is that at the beginning of the war, the typical Japanese aviator was more experienced than his US counterpart. Much of that experience was lost during Midway and Guadalcanal. After the Guadalcanal campaign ended, Japan had neither sufficient trained pilots avaialbe or the schools to produce them to make up their losses. They tried to expand their schools by decreasing training time but the infrastructure was such that it resulted in a significant degradation of pilot experience. A degradation that only got worse as the war progressed.

quote:

The fact is the A6M was never a wonder weapon, and low wing loading was the only real advantage it had. Maybe our resident top gun can take the time to explain how an aircraft with a better roll rate can manoever inside one with a smaller turn radius, especially when it has more power available in the form of a larger engine. I find this concept hard to get across without the aid of diagrams, but the technique is described in Robert Johnson's Thunderbolt in a passage about how P-47 pilots utilized their phenomenal roll rate and big radial engine to "out turn" the technically more manoeverable Bf-109.

First off, I don't believe anyone has ever said the A6M was a wonder weapon. That it's performance was far above anything the allies expected is undisputable. Historian after historian say the same thing. Pilots who fought it such as Thatch say it also. The allies tried to fight it as they had been trained in peacetime... that is in a turning dogfight which perfectly suited the Zero's abilities. Thatch developed a tactic prior to Midway that helped counter the Zero's maneuverability but it required TWO Wildcats to pull it off. Team tactics were the only way the Wildcat was able to compete. That's hardly equality in performance. But in a 1 v 1 situation, the Zero should be expected to achieve attack position faster and more often, assuming similar skill levels in pilots.

You state that the Wildcat had a larger engine and therefore more power. You neglect to mention that the Wildcat also had to haul around 2000lbs more weight. The A6M2 with its puny 925 hp engine still had a greater horsepower to weight ratio than the Wildcat, was faster, could acelerate quicker, turn tighter, climb faster and outroll the Wildcat when under 250mph. And when the A6M3 was introduced with its 1130hp engine, the weight to HP ratio favored the Zero even more.

The Wildcat's greatest attribute was its ability to absorb punishment, something the Zero could not do. The A6M2 was limited to a dive speed of 350mph due to skin wrinkling on the wings. The problem here is that F4F pilots were advised to not exceed 375mph in a dive with an absolute DNE of 400mph. Everyone seems to forget that part.

quote:

But of course this involves actual physics and real history, not an abstract "attack value" in some computer game.

But of course that involves picking and choosing only those attributes that prove your point, doesn't it.

quote:

But it seems some people here are more interested in slobbering on the ketchup bottles and annoying the adults than actual history.

If you would stop licking the bottle, that wouldn't happen.

The bottom line is that if the Zero was as poor as you say it was, why then did the US have to restructure their tactics and training to combat it?

But that really doesn't have much to do with the game.

Tell ya what. I'll post a screenie from a game and you can tell me then how invincible the Zero is in WitP.

Chez

< Message edited by ChezDaJez -- 9/12/2007 2:08:42 PM >

NRD Seattle 1992-96

(in reply to Doggie)
Post #: 110
RE: Übercorsair and übercap - 9/12/2007 7:04:44 AM   
Yamato hugger

I have said it before, and I am sure I will say it again sometime in the future. Aircraft ratings are highly subjective. Take the Oscar for an example. 1 on 1 there wasnt a plane of the day that could match it, but in a many on many fight it was near worthless.

A game designer has to look at more than just raw aircraft data. He has to look at the tactics those airplanes used as well. Convert the world to "raw data" and the allies lose every time. The human element, the ability to adapt their tactics and make the other guy try to fight their fight is what won the war.

Back in the days when I was designing a Pacific war game, I had decided early on to base my air combat not on numbers, but actual kill ratios between plane types and then modify that by experience and morale. Any time you put an actual number on something, someone will come along and "prove" why it should be 1 higher or 1 lower ect. But people cant argue with actual results

(in reply to ChezDaJez)
Post #: 111
RE: Übercorsair and übercap - 9/12/2007 7:16:28 AM   
fcooke

Going to hate myself for posting on this but in the interest of trying to be 'helpful' I will. My recollection from reading many books about GCanal is that many Wildcats came in for dead stick landings. If these had the range to be flying from Rabaul they never would have made it home. This should be taken into account for any Zero/Wcat comparison. This would be a 'real history' observation.

From a game observation the aircraft stats seem to play too much of a role in the outcome of a2a battles - there should be more bias given to pilot skill - pilots have always been able to use lessor planes to win a2a battles in real life. I think anyone who really plays the game would agree with this. If it's not true someone will need to explain how Finland was able to usefully leverage those Brewster Buffalos against the USSR for all those years. Yes - I know it had no armor/ss fuel tanks etc but it did take quite a toll on its opponents.

In the game the balance feels pretty good to me - I look to pit F4F 3/4 against IJN in the early years and am usually happy with results. If the model was completely whacked I don't understand how many Allied players can finish off or threaten to finish off Japan in 44. Large scale combat is too predictable - uber cap wins too much - no serious player would debate this.

In terms of real life - if F4F was so equivalent/better than Zero then why did the real life war take so long? Bad leadership of Allies? We all know US production vs Japan is not a real contest. Would appreciate the views of the Allied fanboys on this.

An Allied Fanboy and member of the BoSox nation - great comeback tonight!

Otherwise known as Frank

(in reply to ChezDaJez)
Post #: 112
RE: Übercorsair and übercap - 9/12/2007 8:45:01 AM   
spence

quote:

In terms of real life - if F4F was so equivalent/better than Zero then why did the real life war take so long?

LOGISTICS

Individual weapons systems are of minor importance strategically. The distances in the Pacific were hugh and there was nothing there, anywhere, to support bringing all that US Production into battle with the Japanese.

More than anything else the Japanese initial success was due to the fact that they hit what was practically a military vacuum (excepting Singapore and the Philippines and those were relatively close to Japanese bases). Expansion for the Japanese was the easy part (they could expand on a shoestring)...supporting all those outposts thousands of miles from the Home Islands proved impossible. "Local supply" as the IJA termed their depredations on the Chinese just wasn't an option in New Guinea, Guadalcanal, Tarawa or Kwajalein (the outer circle). When the Allies reached the inner circle (Saipan, Philippines, etc) they possessed weapons systems (CV TFs, submarines with torpedos that actually exploded, LRBs) that made any kind of supply tenuous at best. But moving all the stuff and developing the bases to support those systems took most of the time.

(in reply to fcooke)
Post #: 113
RE: Übercorsair and übercap - 9/12/2007 9:00:09 AM   
Nikademus

quote:

I've already presented it in these forums. Twice. The first time when you ran away from the discussion back in the GGPW thread. The second time a long time ago in this forum. Selective amnesia seems to be the only kind of memory you have.

Sure i did.

quote:

Fair enough. But I'd guarantee that it I wrote a rebuttal to Shores et al. with no bibliographic citations in the footnotes, end notes, or text, it would not get published, because those sorts of things are the benchmark standard for most publications.

You won't get published period, because googled weblinks for sources don't count for any kind of benchmark save bullshit.

quote:

Tell you what. Why don't you contact Mr. Shores and ask him since your so concerned.

That is the only intelligent statement you have offered in five years of your participation in these threads.

Your attempt at an insult not withstanding, does that mean your going to do it? You'll of course cc' me in the email.

quote:

Go into that a little further. Was their book peer-reviewed? Do you know it for a fact. The press is a rather obscure one, and there's the pesty problem of lack of notes. Are they accredited? At what? By whom? As I recall, Shores is an accountant or a banker or something. By training he's no more (or less) qualified than I am.

Yes. I do know it. Can you prove that Shores' and his associates research is faulty? I've asked you several times now to provide specific documentation proving that his work is flawed. You have so far failed to produce anything more than implying that his work is less than valuable because you feel his footnoting is not up to specs. You also claimed, incorrectly, that Shore's work does not contain proper references. I answered that he did....in vol III, a book you apparantly don't own.

quote:

Lets see your credentials?

Asked and answered already.

Translation: None worth mentioning. No books, no published papers. zilch.

quote:

The inclusion of an end of text biliography does not a "reference make."

Yes. It does. But again, i'm waiting for your specific evidence that Shores, Cull and Izawa's work is faulty.

quote:

Again, the web site link is a copy of the USAAF official history. So at this point, you're just sort of whimpering around a technical claim that the source I provided wasn't a published piece of paper that you may not be able to read (because you may not own a copy), but instead an internet copy (that you can read) of a piece of paper that was in fact part of a published, peer-reviewed volume.

No, its a website, and has not been peer-reviewed, period. Nor have you verified it's authenticity. All you have done is googled it. More interestingly, you misquoted it.

quote:

Shores et al. describe the 19 February combat over Java as 1 Zero lost in exchange for 7 P-40s shot down. The official US Hisotry of the Army Air Forces of WW2 (p.391) (see: http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/AAF/I/AAF-I-10.html ) has no P-40s shot down and claims 4 Zeros shot down (over Malang, Java).

What the website actually stated was:

The 19th had been marked by heavy blows directed against Java from the west as well as the east. Thirty enemy fighters roared over the Buitenzorg airdrome to destroy two transport planes and three Hudsons caught on the ground. Another formation of thirty planes hit Bandoeng, where five of the few remaining Dutch pursuits were shot down and two B-17's just in from the United States were destroyed on the field. The American P-40's met with some success in breaking up a bomber formation headed for Malang. They counted no bombers shot down, but in a furiously fought engagement they destroyed four enemy fighters and lost three of their own. Here and there the Allies could take pride in an individual victory, but the day clearly belonged to the Japanese

whoops.

Well at least then, again going by your stated criteria for validating sources, we're still left with a 3:1 victory for Tainan.

quote:

Are you suggesting that the USAAF's official history is not a credible source because it is likely to be "distorted" somehow but Shores et al. is less likely to be distorted?

Again, depends. Thats where the research part comes in, and the comparison/authentification part....and it'll take more than comparing information you've been fed about Shores and then doing an online google search for alternate or dissimilar information to provide a credible dispute to what Shores research has revealed.

quote:

This conversation is becoming Python-esque. Am I to ask you now whether or not a coconut can migrate?

No, but I have a wafer thin mint for you to try.

quote:

Heh. I'll trust my own instincts, thanks, on what "true researchers" need to do.

Which apparantly doesn't include waiting for any actual true research to be done before you start crapping all over the results of another's.

quote:

In this case, your claim that Sakai and company were afraid to engage P-39's at lower altitude was not verified.

quote:

Except that I made no such claim.

quote:

Except that in his book he writes of the frustration of his wingmen that the P-39s refused to climb to the A6Ms altitude to engage. Which is a clever way of avoiding saying that the A6Ms refused to descend to 10,000 feet to engage the P-39s

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1509971&mpage=2&key=

Twist it anyway you want. Its unverified in either Sakai or Bergerud.

quote:

The point was one about the logical construction of the claim made about P-39's pilots perceptions of the Zero.
That'd be an observation about methods, by the way.

If you can't dazzle em with Brilliance.....Baffle em with Bullshit.

quote:

This is not particularly different from the pilot fatigue experienced by USAAF fighter pilots in the ETO. Indeed, since it's pretty much solely a discussion of airtime, it's the exact same kind of fatigue.

Nope. The number of Japanese planes and pilots was signifgantly less and inadequate for the task at hand coupled with the fact that there was only one appreciable target and the defender knew roughly the time and place that they must arrive on scene.

quote:

Frank and Lundstrom both mention fatigue. Neither of them mention inordinate post-combat air losses resulting from it.

That is incorrect.

it [the 565 mile flight back to base] turned many damaged aircraft into outright losses
Richard Frank - Guadalcanal.

Lundstrom also mentions specifically the immense problems faced by the Japanese and documents aircraft that failed to return on the long flight back, some had damage, others unknown but MIA.

quote:

Actually, it is a very robust comparison to which you responded with a weak effort at subject substitution. The subject was fatigue caused by long-duration flying, not force ratios, as you have tried to make it.

Incorrect. Force ratios are crucial to the success of the mission and also allow the ability to rest and rotate pilots. Frank mentions this in his book.

quote:

The real trick, methods wise, is to figure out what weight to give fatigue, or fatigue vs. the combination of fatigue and battle damage, that may have affected retiring Japanese a.c.

Frank and Lundstrom figured it out pretty quickly. I agree with them. Looks like Elf agrees with them too.

< Message edited by Nikademus -- 9/12/2007 9:07:00 AM >

(in reply to mdiehl)
Post #: 114
RE: Übercorsair and übercap - 9/12/2007 9:07:48 AM   
ChezDaJez

quote:

For example:

Shores et al. describe the 19 February combat over Java as 1 Zero lost in exchange for 7 P-40s shot down. The official US Hisotry of the Army Air Forces of WW2 (p.391) (see: http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/AAF/I/AAF-I-10.html ) has no P-40s shot down and claims 4 Zeros shot down (over Malang, Java). Now, I'm not willing to credit the USAAF official history's numbers vis a vis Zeroes shot down as accurate. But I will assume that the USAAF history is a more authoritative source than Shores et al. vis a vis actual numbers of American a.c. shot down. I'm still trying to resolve the discrepancy, but the complete absence of references cited in text (or end notes, or footnotes with citations) makes resolving Shores et al. a very challenging effort.

Also, their accounts of AVG pilots lost to enemy a.c. rather than ground fire or operationally seem incorrect. But I have to dredge out a copy of Ford's book somewhere (Shores et al. don't seem to match Bond's diary, although Bond may not have known exactly how AVG a.c. stationed at other bases may have been destroyed since he was operating on the scuttlebutt circuit... some of his accounts are quite detailed and others are of the "I just heard that so and so was lost" variety).

This is what I like about you, mdiehl... You make it so easy... you can't even get the facts straight when they are right in front of your face. The Hyperwar text clearly states that 3 P-40s were lost during this engagement and that the US pilots claimed 4 Zeros shot down. If you read the forward to this volume it might put things in perspective. Tell ya what, I'll print a portion of it for ya:

From the Forward to "The Army Air Forces in World War II, Vol 1, Plans and Early Operations, January 1939 to August 1942"

quote:

With the end of the war, Headquarters approved a plan for writing and publishing a seven-volume history. In December 1945, Lieutenant General Ira C. Eaker, Deputy Commander of Army Air Forces, asked the Chancellor of the University of Chicago to "assume the responsibility for the publication" of the history, stressing that it must "meet the highest academic standards." Lieutenant Colonel Wesley Frank Craven of New York University and Major James Lea Cate of the University of Chicago, both of whom had been assigned to the historical program, were selected to be editors of the volumes. Between 1948 and 1958 seven were published. With publication of the last, the editors wrote that the Air Force had filled in letter and spirit" the promise of access to documents and complete freedom of historical interpretation. Like all history, The Army Air Forces in World War II reflects the era when it was conceived, researched, and written. The strategic bombing campaigns received the primary emphasis, not only because of a widely-shared belief in bombardment's contribution to victory, but also because of its importance in establishing the United States Air Force as a military service independent of the Army. snip...

... All historical works a generation old suffer such limitations. New information and altered perspective inevitably change the emphasis of an historical account. Some accounts in these volumes will be superseded in the future.

So the authors recognizedf that their works wuld be modified in the future as more documentation became available.

Here is what the text from Hyperwar actually had to say about the encounter to which you refer:

http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/AAF/I/AAF-I-10.html

Page 392 (not 391 as you stated)

quote:

The 19th had been marked by heavy blows directed against Java from the west as well as the east. Thirty enemy fighters roared over the Buitenzorg airdrome to destroy two transport planes and three Hudsons caught on the ground. Another formation of thirty planes hit Bandoeng, where five of the few remaining Dutch pursuits were shot down and two B-17's just in from the United States were destroyed on the field. The American P-40's met with some success in breaking up a bomber formation headed for Malang. They counted no bombers shot down, but in a furiously fought engagement they destroyed four enemy fighters and lost three of their own.77 Here and there the Allies could take pride in an individual victory, but the day clearly belonged to the Japanese.

And here is the passage for Shore’s book Bloody Shambles vol 2 page 210:

quote:

The Americans reported meeting only eight A6Ms but, as they were engaged by both the 1st and 2nd Chutai, it is assumed that they initially engaged only one (possibly the latter), the other then joining in. For the defenders it was a disastrous combat: Capts Mahoney and Lane were shot down, as were LTs Hague, Kruzel, Gilmore, Blanton and Quanah P. Fields; the latter a Cheorkee Indian known as “Chief”, baled out but was shot on his parachute and killed, with a bullet through the head; Ed Gilmore, a Philippines veteran, was badly burned, but his life was saved by Dutch doctors, while Blanton came down unhurt on a beach by the Straits of Madoera. Five claims were submitted for A6Ms shot down, one each by Mahoney, Kruzel, Lane, Hague and Reynolds.

The Tainan pilots claimed 14 destroyed and three probables; each of the chutais involved claimed seven – a classic case of double-claiming during a confused combat. They suffered one loss, Lt Maseo Asai, leader of the 2nd Chutai, who failed to return. Apart from the three claims submitted by NAP 1/C Saburo Sakai of the 1st Chutai, it is not known whom the claimants were although the following pilots also participated in the action:

> LIST of JAPANESE PILOTS from 1st and 2nd CHUTAIs <

In a single day, Java had lost 15 or more of its meager force of fighters, with a further two badly damaged – this on the same day as the disastrous Darwin raid.

So, Hyperwar has the US losing 3 P-40s in exchange for 4 Zeros. Not exactly an impressive performance, assuming that it is the truth. Shores, on the other hand, has the fight at 7 P-40s shot down for one Zero lost. And he lists the pilots by name so that one is able to verify them if they so choose.

Now, I don't know about you but I think I am far more willing to accept a detailed account written with the help of a Japanese authority on IJNAF and IJAAF operations over a general account written immediately after a major conflict with a stated goal of supporting the need for a separate air force. And it was without access to data from the opposing side.

Of course, that's just me but I highly doubt that Shores just picked these names out of thin air. It's too easy to verify.

You (or whoever is feeding you the data) should be a bit more selective in which cases they care to highlight.

Chez

< Message edited by ChezDaJez -- 9/12/2007 2:11:01 PM >

NRD Seattle 1992-96

(in reply to mdiehl)
Post #: 115
RE: Übercorsair and übercap - 9/12/2007 9:16:29 AM   
ChezDaJez

Dammit, Nik... you beat me to the punch... can i kick him when he's down?

Chez

NRD Seattle 1992-96

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 116
RE: Übercorsair and übercap - 9/12/2007 9:20:10 AM   
ChezDaJez

quote:

Frank and Lundstrom figured it out pretty quickly. I agree with them. Looks like Elf agrees with them too.

Me 3!

And I have personally experience in this regard... something mdiehl is totally lacking except for maybe the occasional flight on an airliner with a drink in his hand and staring at the Steward's butt.

Chez

NRD Seattle 1992-96

(in reply to spence)
Post #: 117
RE: Übercorsair and übercap - 9/12/2007 9:24:29 AM   
Nikademus

quote:

ORIGINAL: ChezDaJez
Me 3!

And I have personally experience in this regard... something mdiehl is totally lacking except for maybe the occasional flight on an airliner with a drink in his hand and staring at the Steward's butt.

Chez

Ironically, while re-reading and further notating Frank, I was on a jet going Seattle to Buffalo .....and my fatigue was very high. (red eye flight.....and i hate flying.) Turbulence had me gripping the highlighter too tightly and my GF unit laughing at me. Guess I won't be getting picked for Elf's all American fighter escort team anytime soon.

And no coffee place worth it's salt at the destination either!

(in reply to ChezDaJez)
Post #: 118
RE: Übercorsair and übercap - 9/12/2007 9:42:26 AM   
ChezDaJez

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yamato hugger

I have said it before, and I am sure I will say it again sometime in the future. Aircraft ratings are highly subjective. Take the Oscar for an example. 1 on 1 there wasnt a plane of the day that could match it, but in a many on many fight it was near worthless.

A game designer has to look at more than just raw aircraft data. He has to look at the tactics those airplanes used as well. Convert the world to "raw data" and the allies lose every time. The human element, the ability to adapt their tactics and make the other guy try to fight their fight is what won the war.

Back in the days when I was designing a Pacific war game, I had decided early on to base my air combat not on numbers, but actual kill ratios between plane types and then modify that by experience and morale. Any time you put an actual number on something, someone will come along and "prove" why it should be 1 higher or 1 lower ect. But people cant argue with actual results

Yes they are and everyone has a favorite. I have two, the Spitfire Mk series and the A6M series. I find both to be not only brillaint designs, but quite graceful looking aircraft. The P-51 is right up there too.

I have no doubt that it is extremely difficult to model air combat in a game such as this and the model actually works fairly well so long as you avoid large scale battles. Its really only when you stretch it that it really begins to break down.

I wholeheartedly agree with the human factor.

This thread is supposed to be about uberCAP, not specific aircraft attributes but that is what the SH morons want to argue.

I think most WitP would agree that the late-war allied CAP invincibility is an inaccurate modeling. Some would argue the same about early war IJN CAP however the IJN CAP is not invincible unless of course we're talking 10 bombers intercepted by 100 fighters. The problem is that in the late-war, 10 alllied fighters will shoot down 100 hundred bombers virtually every time. There should always be a chance for leakers.

I don't think it would be as big a problem if some got through to drop their weapons even if they all ended up shot down. At least then there is some hope of a hit.

Chez

NRD Seattle 1992-96

(in reply to Yamato hugger)
Post #: 119
RE: Übercorsair and übercap - 9/12/2007 10:02:46 AM   
bradfordkay

We'll have to see if scen 159 (CHS Experimental Mod) has the same late war allied invincible CAP. Somehow, I doubt it... so far, our CAP has been anything but Uber!

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to ChezDaJez)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> RE: Übercorsair and übercap Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI