Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Tired of Your ISP Timing Your Download Out?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Tired of Your ISP Timing Your Download Out? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Tired of Your ISP Timing Your Download Out? - 9/10/2000 7:50:00 AM   
Charles22

I don't know that much about innovative ways to get the optimum out of your computer, but I have found a few rudimentary tricks. I say: St. Michael the Archangel, pray for us, protect us "in battle", because a St. Michael Cyberspace Monastary is the key to one of the solutions I'll present here. Solution #1: In order to keep your ISP from knocking you off when you're asleep or at work while downloading, open a window, and leave it open to www.saint-mike.org and from what I've seen you'll be immune. I think it may be their news ticker that keeps you seemingly active as far as your ISP in concerned. Solution #2: Once you have Getright, Go!zilla or the one I'm using Netzip Download Demon, they will time your download out at a certain point. Netzip's threshold seems to be 4-6 hours, which of course you can resume where you left off, once you get back to it. I don't know if this works or not, but I think it would. Just pause it just before you leave, and then hit the resume. I would think that would reset the timer on your download. Happy downloading, you'll be doing more of that, than playing the game this weekend. I'm 65% through at present. If anyone has any better ideas to solve the above dilemmas, speak up.

Post #: 1
- 9/10/2000 8:59:00 AM   
Don

I was lucky - I set GetRight to download, went to bed and when I got up it was complete, but I was off line. I've got Earthlink and they do kick me off after 20-30 minutes of non-usage, so usually I'll bring up hob.com and have some tunes playing. Don

Don "Sapper" Llewellyn

(in reply to Charles22)
Post #: 2
- 9/10/2000 9:11:00 AM   
Grok

I have found that setting the email program to check for new messages about every 10-15 minutes seems to keep the connection from timing out. Using getright or godzilla will resume the download when the server times out. For some connections(especially 36k or lower)and I dont mean the modem but the actual downstream rate, connecting to cyber radio and a site with a constant stream, can degrade the rate of a download. This may not be true for everyone and a few minutes of monitoring can verify this. Sometimes disconnecting and reconnecting to the ISP can give you a faster connection. Since there are so many variables involved in a good connection, its difficult to detail whats best for each individual. Some of the things than can and do affect a connection are system configuration, modem, ISP, traffic on the net(servers), and physical condition of the phone line and systems. Other than that I wish everyone good luck in downloading SPWAW. Grok [This message has been edited by Grok (edited September 09, 2000).]

"My teeth have more bite, than your mouth has bark!"

(in reply to Charles22)
Post #: 3
- 9/10/2000 9:24:00 AM   
Colonel Klink

same here. i have my email program check for messages frequently (2-3 min) while the downloading goes on. i started last night around 2am and it finished about 10 hours later (56k modem).

(in reply to Charles22)
Post #: 4
- 9/10/2000 9:38:00 AM   
Charles22

Phew Herr Colonel! 10 Hours?! Mine will total around 20. I use a 56K, which when I check my internet connection icon, always shows it clocking at 57600. When I first started on the internet, with AOL, they claimed they had 56K modems, however, I never got over 2800.

(in reply to Charles22)
Post #: 5
- 9/10/2000 9:53:00 AM   
Colonel Klink

hey chas, i started real early in the AM today. while i was still awake, my peak DL rate was close to 4.28 bps. i noticed that as the morning wore on, (7-9am) the rate slowed to about 3.19 bps. My modem used to register 57600 before i upgraded the driver. It is now registering 49333 which made me a little upset. i called up my ISP and found out that in real terms, the 49333 is a truer reading of my actual speed. and frankly i've noticed it being just a tad faster too.

(in reply to Charles22)
Post #: 6
- 9/10/2000 5:06:00 PM   
vonRonstadt

Charles22, Allelulia, I tried and I tried and I tried but it would time out. Then through the might of St-Mikes, it stayed on line. Thank you for the hint.
quote:

Originally posted by Charles22: I don't know that much about innovative ways to get the optimum out of your computer, but I have found a few rudimentary tricks. I say: St. Michael the Archangel, pray for us, protect us "in battle", because a St. Michael Cyberspace Monastary is the key to one of the solutions I'll present here. Solution #1: In order to keep your ISP from knocking you off when you're asleep or at work while downloading, open a window, and leave it open to www.saint-mike.org and from what I've seen you'll be immune. I think it may be their news ticker that keeps you seemingly active as far as your ISP in concerned. Solution #2: Once you have Getright, Go!zilla or the one I'm using Netzip Download Demon, they will time your download out at a certain point. Netzip's threshold seems to be 4-6 hours, which of course you can resume where you left off, once you get back to it. I don't know if this works or not, but I think it would. Just pause it just before you leave, and then hit the resume. I would think that would reset the timer on your download. Happy downloading, you'll be doing more of that, than playing the game this weekend. I'm 65% through at present. If anyone has any better ideas to solve the above dilemmas, speak up.
[This message has been edited by vonRonstadt (edited September 10, 2000).]

vonRonstadt "Make peace, you fools! What else can you do?"

(in reply to Charles22)
Post #: 7
- 9/11/2000 6:10:00 AM   
troopie

I have two ISPs. One I pay for and a free one. The one I pay for kept disconnecting me, so I downloaded it on the free ISP. I kept going back to the screen,, checking the progress every few minutes. I kept slapping my pockets. The vrou asked what I was doing, I said, "I'm looking for my smokes!" She said, "You don't smoke anymore." I used Gozilla and got it all. In a few, I'm going back to the front. troopie ------------------ Pamwe Chete

Pamwe Chete

(in reply to Charles22)
Post #: 8
- 9/11/2000 10:50:00 AM   
Bonzo

Net Vampire got me the complete game download , depite that brief "overload" on Saturday, My ISP going down this afternoon and a harddrive "hiccup" on my own machine. I do not relish doing this again soon, but hey! I've got V4. Now, which way to the front? Bonzo ------------------ Robert (Bonzo) Lindsay, Coordinator 28th (North-west) Battalion Headquarters http://dreadnaught.home.icq.com [email]nwbattalion@icqmail.com[/email]

Robert (Bonzo) Lindsay, Webmaster 28th (North-west) Battalion Headquarters Main http://www.nwbattalion.com E-mail

(in reply to Charles22)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Tired of Your ISP Timing Your Download Out? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI