Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Mount & Blade: indie game done right!!!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Mount & Blade: indie game done right!!! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Mount & Blade: indie game done right!!! - 8/24/2007 3:28:08 PM   
Awac835

Thought i would bring some attention to this game i fell over. If you know medieval 2: total war, then imagin if you cut out the empiere building, kept the army building, added som RPG elements and then let you fight in the tactical battles with your men.
If that sounds likes fun then check out the links below.

Be warned that its a game made by a 2 man dev team i think it is. So the graphics arent great, and the game is currently in beta so its lacking some content. But the core gameplay is superb, this game can only get better.
It also have quite a large following that have made a ton of mods to add stuff to it while we wait for the final release.

Games website
http://www.taleworlds.com/

GameSpot link
http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/mountandblade/index.html?tag=result;title;0

Maybe Matrixgames should see if they could get publish rights for this awesome little game. Not to many good medieval fighting games out there. And Die by the Sword is getting really old :D
Post #: 1
RE: Mount & Blade: indie game done right!!! - 8/25/2007 3:09:12 AM   
Hertston

Hmmm... rather more like a Medieval 'Oblivion' than anything resembling MTW. Nicely done, though. 'Lite' on content, but as you say it's in beta and refreshingly at least they don't pretend otherwise, for once. The combat model - the heart of the game - is amazing, especially the horseback stuff. I like the idea of slowly increasing the price (towards a max of a princely $30) with each beta release, too.. enough to persuade me to fork out now, anyway.

(in reply to Awac835)
Post #: 2
RE: Mount & Blade: indie game done right!!! - 8/26/2007 10:42:34 AM   
Joram

For kicks I tried the demo and you know what, it's a true gem. 

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 3
RE: Mount & Blade: indie game done right!!! - 8/28/2007 7:03:20 AM   
Zakhal

When are they gonna finish it? Its been on beta for ages.

"99.9% of all internet arguments are due to people not understanding someone else's point. The other 0.1% is arguing over made up statistics."- unknown poster
"Those who dont read history are destined to repeat it."– Edmund Burke

(in reply to Joram)
Post #: 4
RE: Mount & Blade: indie game done right!!! - 8/28/2007 7:40:20 AM   
Joram

That's an excellent point.  I almost actually shelled out some cash before I noticed they haven't had an update since last December.  Ahh well.  It does have a lot of potential the demo/beta was fun.

(in reply to Zakhal)
Post #: 5
RE: Mount & Blade: indie game done right!!! - 8/28/2007 10:21:40 AM   
WhoCares

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zakhal

... Its been on beta for ages.

Which is not really a big problem, as the license for the beta, that you buy for a deduct of the full price, is also valid for the full game. I bought mine with version 0.623 for 12 Euro (current version is 0.808). There are also already a lot of interesting mods out there, focussing on various themes like Lord of the Rings, Conquistadors, ...

Regarding the latest developments you might check for Link: Armagans posts. He and his wife started the project, but the team seems to be growing lately; regarding a new version:
quote:

ORIGINAL=Armagan, 12.08.2007
and I am sorry for the delay on the new version. I am afraid we wont be able to release it for a few weeks yet. On the bright side, we are adding some super new features which I hope will make up for the delay...

(in reply to Zakhal)
Post #: 6
RE: Mount & Blade: indie game done right!!! - 8/28/2007 6:04:52 PM   
ravinhood

How's the AI?

(in reply to WhoCares)
Post #: 7
RE: Mount & Blade: indie game done right!!! - 8/28/2007 6:13:16 PM   
jvgfanatic

quote:

ORIGINAL: ravinhood

How's the AI?

Oh please, you've stated before that you don't trust reviews. You are the most critical person on this board about AI and I believe only YOU can answer that question for yourself. Not knocking you here (for once) but you of all people should know better than to ask that question of anyone but your own personal experience.

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 8
RE: Mount & Blade: indie game done right!!! - 8/28/2007 6:28:16 PM   
cdbeck

You tell us RH, download it. Remember, you were the one that modified the Spartan AI because it was too easy.

I have it installed, but haven't messed with it yet. Been too busy conquering the Huron and Iroquois for France in EU3 (with the new NA expansion).

SoM

"Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet!"
(Kill them all. God will know his own.)

-- Arnaud-Armaury, the Albigensian Crusade

(in reply to jvgfanatic)
Post #: 9
RE: Mount & Blade: indie game done right!!! - 8/28/2007 8:41:28 PM   
ravinhood

quote:

ORIGINAL: jvgfanatic

quote:

ORIGINAL: ravinhood

How's the AI?

Oh please, you've stated before that you don't trust reviews. You are the most critical person on this board about AI and I believe only YOU can answer that question for yourself. Not knocking you here (for once) but you of all people should know better than to ask that question of anyone but your own personal experience.

It's good to have more broad range of views though before I give my values. ;) I'm on dialup takes to long to download it anyways. AI's and what people say about them for the most part I am in agreement anyways. They usually suk and aren't worth playing against. There are exceptions like Mad Minutes AI though. Spartans and some others. Afterall a solo game should have more emphasis on the AI than anything else in my opinionated opinion. ;)

(in reply to jvgfanatic)
Post #: 10
RE: Mount & Blade: indie game done right!!! - 8/28/2007 9:22:38 PM   
Joram

I actually consider AI to be extremely important so I think it's a fair question.  I'm not the super-genius like Ravin  though so maybe that makes me less critical, but that doesn't mean it's not important! 

The combat AI (which is really the only part where it's important in this game) is somewhat mixed.  Your troops behave like a gang of thugs and you can give simple commands such as stay here, charge, mount, dismount, etc... but the enemy AI always charges after you headlong unless you distract it.  I like to ride around on my horse firing arrows at the enemy (it's not very easy to do with a bow, a bit easier with a crossbow but naturally those are much slower firing) and the enemy tends to just stop and try to take whacks at me or fire at me with their missile weapons (which include bows, crossbows, javelins, throwing axes and knives and even stones).  I leave my troops behind so the AI won't see it within their sphere of influence and chase after them and after I've softened them up, I let my troops charge.

Another tactic I use is if the enemy has some mounted, I just hold my force steady and let the horses outrun the rest of their troops.  At the level I play I can defeat all horsemen this way except dark knights (which are damn near invincible to me!).  Then I defeat the rest in detail.

In short, they kind of act like a little kids soccer game really.  Everyone is always chasing after the ball (or in this case the nearest enemy).  So theirs no organization at all.   Everyone basically acts individually.

With that said, there are ways to dial-up the combat difficulty, I just haven't tried it.  And also, I do find it enjoyable for the limited time I have played it but if you are looking for real group AI tactics, then you won't find it.

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 11
RE: Mount & Blade: indie game done right!!! - 8/29/2007 3:23:16 AM   
Bloodybucket28th

M&B is a blast.  There's something addictive about thrashing hordes of bandits/orcs/brigands while charging about on horseback.  I've gotten hours and hours of fun out of it, and the slow nature of the updates is OK with me, and as pointed out earlier, it gets you in on the cheap vs. waiting for a "final" version.

The AI isn't stellar, but it does suit the horde like nature of most AI opponents, and doesn't spoil the fun of what is basically a combat game with little else to going for it.  The combat, however, rocks.

Don't analyze, simply grab an ax, a bow and a warhorse and enjoy the mayhem. Smiting down a Warg Rider with a long range bow shot or doing a galloping drive by with a bastard sword is a hoot.

AI? Who cares?  Mindless computer combat with honkin' big cleavers has a certain charm, and it is done well here.

(in reply to Joram)
Post #: 12
RE: Mount & Blade: indie game done right!!! - 8/29/2007 6:27:09 AM   
ravinhood

Thanks Joram a great review of the AI and how you play. ;) See that wasn't so hard now was it? :)

(in reply to Bloodybucket28th)
Post #: 13
RE: Mount & Blade: indie game done right!!! - 8/29/2007 3:57:27 PM   
sabre100

This game looks fun for the price.  Had 1 question does it have a fantasy setting to it?  If so I won't be interested if it is about knights and normal weapons related to that time period that would be cool.  If they added a twist such as fireballs and crap like that no thanks.

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 14
RE: Mount & Blade: indie game done right!!! - 8/29/2007 6:23:37 PM   
Joram

It's all fantasy really.  :)  But if you mean like Elves and goblins and stuff ala Oblivion, then not that I've seen in my limited experience.  I have heard there are numerous mods though the only one I've seen is a warhammer mod.

(in reply to sabre100)
Post #: 15
RE: Mount & Blade: indie game done right!!! - 8/29/2007 6:27:15 PM   
sabre100

Joram,

Thanks for the reply yep that is what I meant by fantasy.  I am glad it does not I may purchase this after I test the demo.

(in reply to Joram)
Post #: 16
RE: Mount & Blade: indie game done right!!! - 8/29/2007 6:36:04 PM   
Joram

Yeah, just try the demo, it's free after all.  Someone here mentioned orcs and stuff and I know I haven't seen any but also I haven't fully explored the map either.

(in reply to sabre100)
Post #: 17
RE: Mount & Blade: indie game done right!!! - 8/29/2007 8:10:17 PM   
Hertston

The orcs are in the inevitable Middle Earth mod (and Warhammer too, presumably), not the game proper. The latter is a sort of 'generic medieval' with fictional landscape and factions, but all the gear is historic. No magic spells, monsters, or healing potions. So far - I haven't covered all the map either - I've seen no equivalent of Arab armies, Mongol hordes, etc, etc.

There are a lot of mods for this, mostly historical ones such as the War of the Roses, Byzantium v. Turks etc. In a way there seem too many, and many are being abandoned rather than ported to the next release version. Hopefully it will settle down to a few real 'biggies' that can sustain interest and develop along with the game proper.

The more I play this the more I think they ought to dump the RPG part and turn it into a multiplayer combat game instead.

< Message edited by Hertston -- 8/30/2007 1:57:50 AM >

(in reply to Joram)
Post #: 18
RE: Mount & Blade: indie game done right!!! - 9/19/2007 12:18:59 PM   
WhoCares

As this was discussed just a few weeks ago I thought I give it a little bump with the update that a new version is out, v0.890.

Unfortunatly, right now the forum seems to be down but the direct link seems to be working just fine:
http://www.taleworlds.com/download/mountandblade_0890_setup.exe

Ah, forum seems to be working again:
quote:

After a very long wait, version 0.890 is finally ready. Actually, it would be nice if we could work on the new version a little bit more, but we didn't want to postpone the release any longer. We hope to release new versions more rapidly from now on.

You will realize that version 0.890 is radically different from older versions and that has a lot to do with the influence of Steve's Battle for Sicily Mod and his involvement with the game.

< Message edited by WhoCares -- 9/19/2007 12:20:23 PM >

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 19
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Mount & Blade: indie game done right!!! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI