Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: RHS Allied Aircraft Thread

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Scenario Design >> RE: RHS Allied Aircraft Thread Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: RHS Allied Aircraft Thread - 5/29/2007 5:37:32 AM   
wdolson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dili

Well the engines is a completely wrong rule in RHS mvr model and that can be perfectly seen in WITM: Italian bombers that have 3 engines just because they have less power
are artificilaly downgraded by that rule. Specially SM-79 was more maneuvrable than the He-111.

Speed is already rated in independently. The RHS mvr makes the game rate it twice. The main items of mvr for a simple system is Weight/Power relation , Wing Loading and lesser weight Drag(can more or less be calculated by Max Speed Vs Power).

Wing loading plays a factor in turning ability. However, as Sid points out, there are different types of maneuver. Ability to dive and climb are factors in maneuverability too. The game does have a field for climb rate. I'm not sure if it is used in combat or not. Diving ability is not directly addressed though. While the P-47 was not a great turning plane, it still could go toe to toe with all German fighters because it could maneuver in other ways. Predominantly, it could dive better than anything. If a P-47 got a height advantage on an enemy, and had a good pilot, the enemy wouldn't know what hit them. The top scoring fighter unit in the USAAF was a P-47 unit throughout the war, the 56th FG. Part of it was being in the right place at the right time, part was an outstanding leader, but part was having a good fighter too.

Another factor in maneuverability that is not factored independently is the maneuverability at speed. Japanese fighters became much less maneuverable at higher speeds. If an Allied pilot could keep the speed of a dog fight over about 220 miles per hour, most Allied fighters could out maneuver a Zero, even in turns. The Zero's controls get very heavy at higher speeds. US fighters were all in their element at higher speeds and could turn quite well. The g-suit was invented in World War II because US fighters evolved to a point where they could physically turn tighter at speed than the pilot could handle.

With their ability to maneuver at high speeds, late war US fighters could dictate the terms of combat in most instances. If the Japanese pilot tried to match them in speed, the US fighter could dog fight better. If the Japanese tried to keep speeds down, the US fighter could use boom and zoom tactics.

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to Dili)
Post #: 91
RE: RHS Allied Aircraft Thread - 5/29/2007 6:30:57 AM   
el cid again

quote:

Well the engines is a completely wrong rule in RHS mvr model and that can be perfectly seen in WITM: Italian bombers that have 3 engines just because they have less power
are artificilaly downgraded by that rule. Specially SM-79 was more maneuvrable than the He-111.

Speed is already rated in independently. The RHS mvr makes the game rate it twice.  The main items of mvr for a simple system is Weight/Power relation , Wing Loading and  lesser weight Drag(can more or less be calculated by Max Speed Vs Power).

This is technical confusion - no insult intended.

RHS did NOT invent WITP nor the meaning of maneuverability in the WITP system. Instead, this was defined by Matrix - probably GG himself - and probably long ago in an ancestor product. Speed is the MAIN ingrediant in maneuverability as used in stock and CHS - and remains so in RHS: we didn't make it that way. Similarly, ROC is also rated separately - but it is also part of maneuverability in stock and CHS - and remains so in RHS: we didn't make it that way. Nor is the objection - sometimes voiced - that this "counting twice" is "wrong" - valid. Instead, you cannot come up with a factor for the WITP air combat code that works properly UNLESS you honor the system, as designed. ALL we did in RHS was come up with a way to get the values RELATIVELY correct and consistent. Lack of a published standard prevented this even inside Matrix. It certainly is a big problem for anyone adding aircraft to a mod.

The case of three engine aircraft is special. These planes did indeed have three engines due to power plant limitations - and that is not a good thing - but a bad thing in terms of maneuverability, weight, and other aspects of performance.
Further, it is not considered in the RHS algorithm as such - because we lack any 3 engine case to address. IF you believe there is a problem - I suggest you start by defining the 3 engine case = 2 engines. This neatly accounts for the angular momentum effects of the 2 engine planes - for exactly the same reason (1 engine not on the centerline on each wing) - and we can consider the centerline engine to be "invisible" in terms of angular momentum (which it isn't, but it is a compromise). We were trying to account for differences between 1, 2 and 4 engine planes - and we noticed evidence stock did this in this way (see in particular the case of heavy bombers - which would get higher values if ONLY speed and ROC were used). We succeeded in generating similar values - and really ignored the 3 engine case. But in most respects, rating a 3 engine plane as similar to a 2 engine plane is quite justified - and then if it has better speed and ROC (and in RHS wing loading and power loading) it will indeed have a higher rating. The salient point is you have engines on the wings - 1 each - messing with conservation of angular momentum. Exactly the same for 3 and 2 engine cases.

< Message edited by el cid again -- 5/29/2007 6:38:45 AM >

(in reply to Dili)
Post #: 92
RE: RHS Allied Aircraft Thread - 5/29/2007 6:43:22 AM   
el cid again

quote:

ORIGINAL: wdolson

quote:

Well the engines is a completely wrong rule in RHS mvr model and that can be perfectly seen in WITM: Italian bombers that have 3 engines just because they have less power
are artificilaly downgraded by that rule. Specially SM-79 was more maneuvrable than the He-111.

Speed is already rated in independently. The RHS mvr makes the game rate it twice. The main items of mvr for a simple system is Weight/Power relation , Wing Loading and lesser weight Drag(can more or less be calculated by Max Speed Vs Power).

Wing loading plays a factor in turning ability. However, as Sid points out, there are different types of maneuver. Ability to dive and climb are factors in maneuverability too. The game does have a field for climb rate. I'm not sure if it is used in combat or not. Diving ability is not directly addressed though. While the P-47 was not a great turning plane, it still could go toe to toe with all German fighters because it could maneuver in other ways. Predominantly, it could dive better than anything. If a P-47 got a height advantage on an enemy, and had a good pilot, the enemy wouldn't know what hit them. The top scoring fighter unit in the USAAF was a P-47 unit throughout the war, the 56th FG. Part of it was being in the right place at the right time, part was an outstanding leader, but part was having a good fighter too.

Another factor in maneuverability that is not factored independently is the maneuverability at speed. Japanese fighters became much less maneuverable at higher speeds. If an Allied pilot could keep the speed of a dog fight over about 220 miles per hour, most Allied fighters could out maneuver a Zero, even in turns. The Zero's controls get very heavy at higher speeds. US fighters were all in their element at higher speeds and could turn quite well. The g-suit was invented in World War II because US fighters evolved to a point where they could physically turn tighter at speed than the pilot could handle.

With their ability to maneuver at high speeds, late war US fighters could dictate the terms of combat in most instances. If the Japanese pilot tried to match them in speed, the US fighter could dog fight better. If the Japanese tried to keep speeds down, the US fighter could use boom and zoom tactics.

Bill

I concur with all of this. [Note we added power loading and wing loading to maneuverability in the RHS definition - it isn't purely speed and ROC as in stock. But speed and ROC still dominate - and indeed ROC is more of a factor in RHS than in previous usage. By adding loadings - we helped planes with really good horizontal maneuverability. We did this backwards: the algorithm ADDS speed and ROC and then SUBTRACTS wing loading - because the lower the number the better off you are]

I believe we should have DIFFERENT maneuverability factors at different altitudes. And I note that hard code has two slots where this is built in - which because it isn't under control - RHS uses for planes that cannot go high in the first place. But it shows Matrix knew about the idea all planes were not hot at altitude. What we did was put this in a different place - in a consistent way for ALL planes: cieling. Our planes will not go so high they are dogs - never mind the service ceiling or absolute ceiling is over 40,000 feet - up there the pilots of many planes are going to be too cold to function - and older ones would need oxygen not present.

Our basic model is not perfect. Our attempts to make it better do not make it perfect either. But that should not stop us from making it better to the degree we can (with data). And advocating changes in code for future improvements.

Frankly the model works much better than I would have believed possible - as simple as it is. I am used to working with much more complex models - and I find this one amazingly good. One programmer I know calls it the "best commercial air combat model ever devised" - and that says a great deal - and he said it before we tried to iron out inconsistencies (which were amazing). I don't have a wide enough exposure to know - but if you don't talk about software we ran on million dollar computers at Boeing - he might be right.

< Message edited by el cid again -- 5/29/2007 6:49:11 AM >

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 93
RE: RHS Allied Aircraft Thread - 5/29/2007 8:17:17 AM   
Dili

I have no problem with stock model they rate speed so it has a meaning in air combat, if it doesnt have i dont know what is doing there, like climb ability.
Speed is an end result not a factor. Mixing end results and factors leads to a bad formula. 

PowerVsWeight when Drag is constant between 2 planes is essential for continous maneuvrality which is diferent from instantaneous maneuvrality where wing loading have more
"saying" like changing direction. For example Delta planes like old Mirages doesnt suffer much in instantaneous turn rate but are poor in continous turn rate. F104 had wonderfull acceleration, speed and climb but maneuverality = bad!

I dont have a dog in that Thunderbolt fight but special abilities,tactics or defects should be handled by external bonuses. There are several instances where almost same capabilities on paper turn diferent performance planes, things like strutural resistence, commands, control surfaces etc also afect a plane hability.

Concerning 3 Engines this was a conversation that i was to have with Mifune since he was handling the air combat model of WITM but disapeared. Hope he is okay.

(in reply to el cid again)
Post #: 94
RE: RHS Allied Aircraft Thread - 5/29/2007 11:27:16 AM   
m10bob

The thread is about "radical proposal".
I made it clear the changes I am doing to some of my aircraft are in my PERSONAL mod,period.
All planes in WITP have been graded against one another on a universal grading system which inherently is flawed.
The system allows an equality of "points" based on mechanical considerations with some of the dynamic and physical attributes thrown in, but makes no allowance for the importance of the actual strengths of the planes as considered by the combatants themselves.
I.E.:If it is a known factor that it is suicide to try to turn with a Zero, then turning is no longer a "strength of my P 39, but speed and diving become primary strengths for my particular plane. If "turning" is not something I plan to value before I go into combat,(since I won't be doing any during my attack), why should I be concerned how my plane will "turn with a Zero"?
Individual flight tactics have not been addressed either, and IMHO, knowing that different air forces flew with wingmen should have some bearing on aerial combat.
I mean, this is ALL abstract, but if just comparing the planes in a uniform way like a used car salesman just to make everything fit in the box, we are really limiting those planes for the true strengths and weaknesses as experienced by the combatants.
Radical thought, and maybe not something "for the masses", but if the thought itself makes some budding designer out there see something missed all along, great!

How realistic and for what purpose would we consider the maneuverability of a 4 engine bomber vs ANY fighter??
We can easily surmise the 4 engine bomber will intend to fly a straight line, in company of its' comrades, maybe 95% of the time, therefore the true combat factor is "what kind of defensive cover does this individual bomber have in any box formation, be it 3 planes or thirty?"
Colin Kelly's defense (single plane) was only after being forced to leave formation, but that lumbering old plane was still more of a "straight-line target", than a fighter.
The number of engines would have no consideration in combat, (except in calculating weight to power and ability to sustain ambulation if the plane were to lose an engine, (which would be considered as part of the calculation for "durability".)

I will also post a link to another set of tactical wargame rules, again, just something to consider for the open-minded of my friends.

http://www.rdrop.com/users/hoofj/

< Message edited by m10bob -- 5/29/2007 11:28:50 AM >

(in reply to Dili)
Post #: 95
RE: RHS Allied Aircraft Thread - 5/29/2007 12:38:30 PM   
el cid again

quote:

I have no problem with stock model they rate speed so it has a meaning in air combat, if it doesnt have i dont know what is doing there, like climb ability.
Speed is an end result not a factor. Mixing end results and factors leads to a bad formula. 

REPLY: You are somehow missing that it is not I - but stock - which "mixes factors" - in the maneuverability field.
When I asked what it was - I was told to investigate speed first of all. It turned out to be a mixed bag: some aircraft had speed (divided by 10 if I remember right) while others had speed combined with a different factor - and that turned out to be ROC divided by a certain number. This is hardly ideal or my preferred approach - as I have often stated. I would prefer a different air combat algorithm altogether, and I would prefer to separate maneuverability into different kinds and rate it at different altitudes. It may indeed be "a bad formula" - but that does not change that it works well. Wether or not the RHS maneuverability formula is better than stock is difficult to say - since it isn't published (and appears to have been applied in more than one form). But test results indicate it produces unreasonable outcomes significantly less often.

PowerVsWeight when Drag is constant between 2 planes is essential for continous maneuvrality which is diferent from instantaneous maneuvrality where wing loading have more
"saying" like changing direction. For example Delta planes like old Mirages doesnt suffer much in instantaneous turn rate but are poor in continous turn rate. F104 had wonderfull acceleration, speed and climb but maneuverality = bad!

REPLY: Somehow I have failed to follow your meaning here. But I completely understand your examples - which are quite correct. I learned aviation and air combat in the jet age - so these were the planes of my day.

I dont have a dog in that Thunderbolt fight but special abilities,tactics or defects should be handled by external bonuses. There are several instances where almost same capabilities on paper turn diferent performance planes, things like strutural resistence, commands, control surfaces etc also afect a plane hability.

REPLY: Here I think I must say the charge of a "bad algorithm" applies in spades. In general, IF you have a good model, you should NOT need to have "external bonuses" - your algorithm should explain in numbers why this plane is better than that one with respect to whatever the function is? External bonuses are very difficult to handle, lend themselves to seat of the pants guessing - or to excessive dependence on result oriented modification. [Excessive because we have a limited amount of real world data to work with and correcting toward that may not be correcting toward general truth. Better by far to figure out what the truth should be if you can. In the last generation we got so good at this that no one anywhere ever builds planes that don't fly - which used to be common - and we can engineer solutions to problems that don't even exist (yet) IRL - because we could detect them in the software models.]

Concerning 3 Engines this was a conversation that i was to have with Mifune since he was handling the air combat model of WITM but disapeared. Hope he is okay.

He is OK. He moved and suffered a computer total breakdown. He has started to come back up.

< Message edited by el cid again -- 5/29/2007 12:44:58 PM >

(in reply to Dili)
Post #: 96
RE: RHS Allied Aircraft Thread - 5/29/2007 12:47:10 PM   
el cid again

quote:

ORIGINAL: m10bob

The thread is about "radical proposal".

Yes it is. And it was that we might combine Allied planes of the same type of different nations IF we used a universal art scheme - just as we do for the Japanese in EOS. This would mean more slots become available for sub types/minor types.

This latest turn of discussion is wholly unrelated to the thread subject- which is about RHSEOS (only) - not about other kinds of RHS - not about personal mods - and not at all about aircraft performance! I know - I started the thread.

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 97
RE: RHS Allied Aircraft Thread - 5/29/2007 12:50:27 PM   
el cid again

quote:

All planes in WITP have been graded against one another on a universal grading system which inherently is flawed.
The system allows an equality of "points" based on mechanical considerations with some of the dynamic and physical attributes thrown in, but makes no allowance for the importance of the actual strengths of the planes as considered by the combatants themselves.!

How realistic and for what purpose would we consider the maneuverability of a 4 engine bomber vs ANY fighter??
We can easily surmise the 4 engine bomber will intend to fly a straight line, in company of its' comrades, maybe 95% of the time, therefore the true combat factor is "what kind of defensive cover does this individual bomber have in any box formation, be it 3 planes or thirty?"

http://www.rdrop.com/users/hoofj/

From the point of view of computer simulation of air combat - this is about 99% incorrect. The 1% remaining is that the system is inherently flawed - as all models must be - and as simple models must be even more. Nothing short of rebuilding the planes and fighting battles would be "perfect" - and even then - our technical and tactical knowledge would skew the outcomes.

The concept that we use mathmetical functions based on basic performance is valid, and validatable, and can be shown to rigorous standards to work very well - well enough to bet fortunes (billions of dollars on aircraft and missiles) and lives on. Further, the concept that the opinions of the users are MORE valid is backwards: users are inherantly victims of perception, and usually also of assumptions they have - and are anything but a sound basis to build a model that will work similar to reality. Study witnesses - objectively - dispassionately - scientifically - in statistically significant numbers and combine this with our understand of human thought processes. I am big on listening to witnesses - but not big on pretending they produce something BETTER than a good theory based on physical principles - because they are not nearly as good.

The idea that maneuverability does NOT matter to a bomber is also pretty much nonsense. It turns out that every aspect of maneuverability can matter in air combat - and indeed four engine bombers and even flying boats have at times played "fighter plane" and attacked enemy aircraft. The concept of a "escort fighter" based on a bomber airframe was tried by almost every combattant power - and it failed - because the "escorts" were not able to stay with the bombers (of the same basic airframe type) after bombs were released. The difference in performance is significant enough to matter IRL. Because of this, a big bomber could (theoretically) do the same thing fighters do when enemy fighters are sighted: drop its bombs so it is better suited to fight. [It cannot do that and accomplish its mission - but neither can a fighter playing fighter bomber if it drops its bombs. It is a bit of a mystery why it is OK - and SOP - for a fighter bomber to drop its bombs but not the big boys?] In the WITP air combat system it is very likely that the value we give a big plane matters - and when one is 100% greater than another - it will probably mean it gets intercepted less often. It matters enough that we should worry about it - calculate it - and feed the engine the best data we can (relatively speaking). If you have a problem with this, consider the following:

SIGHTING of enemy aircraft first is a 90% determinant for success in both offensive and defensive air combat. If performance really did not matter, big boys wouldn't be able to get away. But IRL they do 9 times in 10 - if they want to.
A big boy usually has an advantage in range - and it can go to full speed on an opening bearing - designed to maximize the intercept problem. Done sufficiently ahead of time - it no longer matters if they get spotted or not before they are out of visual range - because they are too far away and moving too fast for the little guys to catch them. Yet in a relative sense, the ability of a plane to do this varies with its performance - the slower bombers are indeed easier to catch when they do not elect to close on their own (or don't see you).

< Message edited by el cid again -- 5/29/2007 1:06:42 PM >

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 98
RE: RHS Allied Aircraft Thread - 5/29/2007 1:14:20 PM   
el cid again

quote:

The number of engines would have no consideration in combat, (except in calculating weight to power and ability to sustain ambulation if the plane were to lose an engine, (which would be considered as part of the calculation for "durability".)

This is perfectly incorrect:

the number of engines matters in air combat in two senses, and is present in RHS in two different factors for that reason:

a) The number of engines contributes to durability - and it is therefor a factor in the durability rating. [A single engine aircraft that loses its single engine has zero chance of going home, ever. A multi-engine aircraft has severe problems, but may go home. The greater the fraction of engines remaining, the better the chance: thus losing 1 in 4 is not nearly as bad as 1 in 2, and losing 1 in 1 is always fatal to the aircraft.]

b) The number of engines on the wings resists air combat maneuverability - and it is therefor a factor in the maneuverability field (and it was from the beginning). To say (as I did above) that some aircraft had maneuverability values of speed divided by 10 is to omit the fact that 10 was divided by 1 engine: if the aircraft was multi-engine that value was reduced - by 2 for twin engine planes and apparently by 16 for 4 engine planes (in stock). Engines also matter in a different sense if on the centerline - or they can - when the engines are propeller types. They affect the ability of the machine to roll (sans counter rotating props or a reverse prop also on the centerline aft).

Not sure where the idea came from engines do not matter - but they matter a great deal. In a more complex model we would consider them targets, and we would evaluate hits on them. Because matter they really do.

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 99
RE: RHS Allied Aircraft Thread - 5/29/2007 2:06:57 PM   
m10bob

quote:

ORIGINAL: el cid again

quote:

This is perfectly incorrect:

the number of engines matters in air combat in two senses, and is present in RHS in two different factors for that reason:

a) The number of engines contributes to durability - and it is therefor a factor in the durability rating. [A single engine aircraft that loses its single engine has zero chance of going home, ever. A multi-engine aircraft has severe problems, but may go home. The greater the fraction of engines remaining, the better the chance: thus losing 1 in 4 is not nearly as bad as 1 in 2, and losing 1 in 1 is always fatal to the aircraft.]

b) The number of engines on the wings resists air combat maneuverability - and it is therefor a factor in the maneuverability field (and it was from the beginning). To say (as I did above) that some aircraft had maneuverability values of speed divided by 10 is to omit the fact that 10 was divided by 1 engine: if the aircraft was multi-engine that value was reduced - by 2 for twin engine planes and apparently by 16 for 4 engine planes (in stock). Engines also matter in a different sense if on the centerline - or they can - when the engines are propeller types. They affect the ability of the machine to roll (sans counter rotating props or a reverse prop also on the centerline aft).

Not sure where the idea came from engines do not matter - but they matter a great deal. In a more complex model we would consider them targets, and we would evaluate hits on them. Because matter they really do.

Oh...Of course it matters...but NOT as a "fighter"....

Just trying to provoke a few folks to get out of the box and consider the possibilities.
Like I said, my comments are ref my PERSONAL mod, and likely not for the "general masses" .

Now Sid, don't be a hypocrite and try to say you have not pushed a few envelopes yourself, for the betterment of the game??
I mean, in the beginning, were not your efforts pretty much based on your *opinions*, (whether driven by scientific thought or otherwise)?

Whether you say you can, or say you can't...either way, you are correct.

< Message edited by m10bob -- 5/29/2007 8:17:15 PM >

Post #: 100
RE: RHS Allied Aircraft Thread - 5/29/2007 8:23:31 PM   
Dili

quote:

When I asked what it was - I was told to investigate speed first of all. It turned out to be a mixed bag

Okay explained still think speed is overvalued, see below. Now just wanted to know more about it.

quote:

Somehow I have failed to follow your meaning here  

My meaning is that F104 would have been an outstanding fighter in RHS if we overvalue speed.

quote:

IF you have a good model, you should NOT need to have "external bonuses" - your algorithm should explain in numbers why this plane is better than that one with respect to whatever the function is

So how to handle a good diving speed like in Thunderbolt?

This is a comparative example of 2 real planes w/ same number engines:

Speed:          430 Vs 467 Km/h
Power:          2520CV Vs 3000CV
Wing Loading: 174kg/sqm Vs 219kg/sqm
Climb :            13min Vs 14min to 5000m

One of them was a crappy Torpedo bomber because bad maneuverability. 

quote:

He is OK. He moved and suffered a computer total breakdown. He has started to come back up.

Good

m10bob
quote:

If it is a known factor that it is suicide to try to turn with a Zero, then turning is no longer a "strength of my P 39, but speed and diving become primary strengths for my particular plane. If "turning" is not something I plan to value before I go into combat,(since I won't be doing any during my attack), why should I be concerned how my plane will "turn with a Zero"? 

Yes because the P-39 pilot would not always be able to choose the interception.
Also boom and zoom techniques make for a less atrittional air combat since the melee is much more extended and escaping combat is easier.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anyone knows how WITP how handles  bonus for defense and attack, escort?

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 101
RE: RHS Allied Aircraft Thread - 5/29/2007 8:53:45 PM   
el cid again

Sir Bob:

I do not mean to imply that opinions are not something which should be expressed. Nor that I am as opinionated to an extreme degree - wether it be good or bad I am guilty of the charge. Also - if the thread has been resurrected and hijacked to a different purpose then I created it for,

a) I am guilty of going along with that
b) the original purpose was long served and the thread was available for changing topic somewhat
c) You DID say you were interested in planes for a personal mod - and I only want to help you figure out what you really want (e.g. see the patrol plane item above) for your mod (and anyone else modding anything)

I regard the discussion as useful in several senses - and it has led to a tentative change in RHS - where I am strongly considering giving the Zero bonus to the Oscar I. It is good to educate our users about the details of the model - stock, CHS, RHS and others (notably Nikmod) being all germane to the air combat situation. And we might learn how to make that model better - even if we have already done that (as is the view of some).

So whatever my opinion about your opinion on a particular point, I regarded your opinion as worthy of reading, thinking about, and in bounds. At no time have you been uncivil - and I do not wish to be regarded as uncivil myself. Instead, I value what has happened here - and wish that to be clear. This even includes a rather sharp disagreement with another person at the moment. [Why we disagree is not yet clear to me? But it is perfectly possible either one of us may learn something - and I value that too - and more if it is me who learns something.]

I do not understand how maneuverability in a bomber does not matter "as a fighter." In a famous case, Adm Nimitz ordered ALL Allied patrol planes (which is to say, mainly 2 engine PBYs) to "avoid approaching" Japanese Mavis 4 engine flying boats - because these had taken to "playing figher plane" and pursuing and attacking planes they encountered. Surely a 4 engine flying boat is not a fighter - but that does not mean it might not act as one. [In a later era the British introduced air to air weapons on gigantic patrol planes in 1981 - radical - virtually unprecedented - but effective - and it now is being copied in several nations].

< Message edited by el cid again -- 5/29/2007 8:57:50 PM >

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 102
RE: RHS Allied Aircraft Thread - 5/29/2007 9:00:09 PM   
el cid again

quote:

quote:

When I asked what it was - I was told to investigate speed first of all. It turned out to be a mixed bag

Okay explained still think speed is overvalued, see below. Now just wanted to know more about it.

REPLY: It may be so. I think a revised air combat routine would be a great investment, even if we were to keep exactly the same data fields. IF it were combined with PUBLISHED definitions for the fields - we could either input data properly or we could modify it with a technical grasp of what that was doing.

quote:

Somehow I have failed to follow your meaning here  

My meaning is that F104 would have been an outstanding fighter in RHS if we overvalue speed.

REPLY: Thanks. I did indeed miss the point - and you did clarify it well here.

quote:

IF you have a good model, you should NOT need to have "external bonuses" - your algorithm should explain in numbers why this plane is better than that one with respect to whatever the function is

So how to handle a good diving speed like in Thunderbolt?

REPLY: Ideally - if we could start with a clean slate - dive speed would be a field of its own. In the present case I have not thought of a good answer - but my first pass brainstorming guess would be we add it in as a factor to the maneuverability function. Just as horizontal and vertical maneuverability are factors, and wing loading and power loading are factors, and ROC is a factor, so could dive speed. But I would want to check to insure we do not already have it in some other form (ie - is it directly proportional to something else in the function now?).

This is a comparative example of 2 real planes w/ same number engines:

Speed:          430 Vs 467 Km/h
Power:          2520CV Vs 3000CV
Wing Loading: 174kg/sqm Vs 219kg/sqm
Climb :            13min Vs 14min to 5000m

One of them was a crappy Torpedo bomber because bad maneuverability. 

REPLY: What is the maneuverability rating comparison of each in our system?

quote:

Good

[
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anyone knows how WITP how handles  bonus for defense and attack, escort?

< Message edited by el cid again -- 5/29/2007 9:05:28 PM >

(in reply to Dili)
Post #: 103
RE: RHS Allied Aircraft Thread - 5/30/2007 12:32:18 AM   
Dili

Mvr 6 and 5 but Mifune might have used different data. This are Trimotore SIAI-79 and SIAI-84. The SIAI-84 was supposed to replace SIAI-79. Instead in 1943 the -79 was still being used as torpedo bomber and -84 being retired from that mission. In this case wing loading was the issue the plane was just too stable.

Post #: 104
RE: RHS Allied Aircraft Thread - 5/30/2007 12:59:57 AM   
el cid again

This does not seem like an excessive difference - nor does it seem identical. Does the wrong plane have the higher value in your view?

(in reply to Dili)
Post #: 105
RE: RHS Allied Aircraft Thread - 5/30/2007 1:02:06 AM   
el cid again

All we know (aside from a few specific statements and things we can measure in tests - which is confusing due to multiple possibilities) is that the routines are complex, branched, and contain many factors and die rolls. We have had moments of revelation and those tend to show the system is more sophisticated (perhaps far more is justified) than anyone had suspected: see Mike Wood on pilot rescue at sea for example.

(in reply to Dili)
Post #: 106
RE: RHS Allied Aircraft Thread - 5/30/2007 1:08:19 AM   
m10bob

quote:

ORIGINAL: el cid again

Sir Bob:

I do not mean to imply that opinions are not something which should be expressed. Nor that I am as opinionated to an extreme degree - wether it be good or bad I am guilty of the charge. Also - if the thread has been resurrected and hijacked to a different purpose then I created it for,

a) I am guilty of going along with that
b) the original purpose was long served and the thread was available for changing topic somewhat
c) You DID say you were interested in planes for a personal mod - and I only want to help you figure out what you really want (e.g. see the patrol plane item above) for your mod (and anyone else modding anything)

I regard the discussion as useful in several senses - and it has led to a tentative change in RHS - where I am strongly considering giving the Zero bonus to the Oscar I. It is good to educate our users about the details of the model - stock, CHS, RHS and others (notably Nikmod) being all germane to the air combat situation. And we might learn how to make that model better - even if we have already done that (as is the view of some).

So whatever my opinion about your opinion on a particular point, I regarded your opinion as worthy of reading, thinking about, and in bounds. At no time have you been uncivil - and I do not wish to be regarded as uncivil myself. Instead, I value what has happened here - and wish that to be clear. This even includes a rather sharp disagreement with another person at the moment. [Why we disagree is not yet clear to me? But it is perfectly possible either one of us may learn something - and I value that too - and more if it is me who learns something.]

I do not understand how maneuverability in a bomber does not matter "as a fighter." In a famous case, Adm Nimitz ordered ALL Allied patrol planes (which is to say, mainly 2 engine PBYs) to "avoid approaching" Japanese Mavis 4 engine flying boats - because these had taken to "playing figher plane" and pursuing and attacking planes they encountered. Surely a 4 engine flying boat is not a fighter - but that does not mean it might not act as one. [In a later era the British introduced air to air weapons on gigantic patrol planes in 1981 - radical - virtually unprecedented - but effective - and it now is being copied in several nations].

I have no need to be uncivil to you Sid, our line of thinking acyually runs pretty close on all matters WITP related.
I sometimes subscribe to the belief that playing "Devils' advocate" can provoke thought and bring fresh air into an otherwise stale environment.
My mission has been accomplished, (and I feel no need to amplify what it was).
I wasted none of the forums time, and as stated, may have provoked some serious thought.

As for calling me "Sir Bob", I take great pride that my direct ancestors threw off the yoke of those who addressed themselves by the title of a "lucky parentage", and have been equally proud to find friends worldwide on my own accomplishments, (which did include a couple of those "titled gentry"..)

Post #: 107
RE: RHS Allied Aircraft Thread - 5/30/2007 1:40:53 AM   
el cid again

I also am somewhat unhappy with the ancient system of nobility - although I did get along well with Queen Elizabeth (the Second if you must ask - I am not old enough to have known the other one - in spite of what some people - notably my daughter - might tell you). But I use the term "sir" in the sense it has been converted to in modern English - not meaning nobility - but the general honorific applied to all men (an American convention perhaps). My name is Cornish, and my people were brutally surpressed in 917 a.d. - including loss of language, religeon, and political power. I don't think there is a lot of glory in the history of the fudal system - in any culture.

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 108
RE: RHS Allied Aircraft Thread - 5/30/2007 2:43:18 AM   
Dili

quote:

This does not seem like an excessive difference - nor does it seem identical. Does the wrong plane have the higher value in your view?

5 and 6 is identical in my opinion. Historically meant an ability to perform a mission or not.
No the older is the best one with 6 and that is right.

Post #: 109
RE: RHS Allied Aircraft Query (options) - 9/19/2007 8:22:09 PM   
josephw

I am very interested in the Bat, or how to go about creating accurate stats for the game.

Post #: 110
RE: RHS Allied Aircraft Query (options) - 9/20/2007 1:45:22 AM   
el cid again

We can model the Bat. I have created two German and one Japanese cruise missile successfully (not all are in use at this time).

Better statistics require better data. One suggestion made on the board is Combat Aircraft of World War II by Bill Gunston. Got my copy yesterday - and it is indeed great for our purposes - as it lists almost all of the planes we care about - to an almost consistent standard.

(in reply to josephw)
Post #: 111
RE: RHS Allied Aircraft Query (options) - 9/20/2007 4:24:05 AM   
josephw

I hate to bother you all but for some complicated reasons (like I'm playing at work for one) it's hard for me download things, could you post, or direct me to, the game stats for some of the flying bombs and or cruise missiles you've all done.

Thanks

Post #: 112
RE: RHS Allied Aircraft Query (options) - 9/20/2007 9:51:59 AM   
el cid again

quote:

ORIGINAL: josephw

I hate to bother you all but for some complicated reasons (like I'm playing at work for one) it's hard for me download things, could you post, or direct me to, the game stats for some of the flying bombs and or cruise missiles you've all done.

Thanks

In any and all RHS device files you will find:

Device 145: (US) 5 inch Free Flight unguided rocket
Device 176: (UK/US) 3 inch No 1 unguided rocket
Device 177: (Japanese) Type 5 unguided rocket
Device 197: Ohka Missile (from stock and all other mods, this is a hard coded slot, and it will never allow a normal
number of attacks to fly using it: only one unit will fly with a very small number of planes)
Device 247: (German) HS-393A1 missile
Device 248: (Japanese) Uji (biological) bomb
Device 249: (Japanese) IGo-1B missile

Slot 249 used to contain the Fritz X and older files may still have it there. This was replaced by the IGo-1B when we changed EOS from Me-264 to G5N4 bombers. [The G5N3 is a G5N1 with bigger engines and pure bombs; the G5N2-L is a G5N1 converted to transport duty - with inadequate engines for a bomer - and is strictly historical; The G5N4 is a G5N3 modified as a HS-293 carrier with still larger engines] The IGo-1b is carried by Ki-102 fighter bombers - as IRL - but unlike in any other form of WITP. Note that G5N bombers are NOT present in ANY "strictly historical" RHS scenario - but the devices are still present. Only EOS (and its AI clone AIO) have the G5N bombers or the Fritz X missile. But the IGo-1b is present in all scenarios - because it is strictly historical - although it did not see operational status. The G5N bomber - a modified DC-4E transport aircraft - was a serious effort to make a bomber in Japan - but it ultimately failed - because politics prevented allocation of sufficiently powerful engines to the project. The FW-200 Condor was a similar effort for the IJN done in Germany - a transport modified into a bomber - and it was completed - but it was not able to reach Japan - and jigs never did get there. Also - it is not as good a bomber as the G5N would have been. We once rationalized how a similar German program could have been done for the Me-264 - and it is a much better bomber in statistical terms - and it was available early (and not funded in Germany - so available for foreign funding) - because it was DESIGNED as a bomber (unlike G5N or FW-200). But Nemo found that it (realistically) cost too much to operate in the numbers he wanted - and indeed it would have done so: Germany only planned to make 60 of them (plus prototypes) - and they were to be neusance raiders - not serious bomber offensive bombers. [That is pretty wise: the countermeasurs would then cost many times what the bombers did - a strategic advantage] But we ultimately felt this plane was not as plausable (even for EOS) as a home grown one would be. But the range of the G5N is nothing like the Me-264 - indeed only certain dedicated recon variants of the B-24 and the B-29/32 are comparable in RHS. Late in the war you can get the G8N - and it is a fine bomber - sort of a "Japanese B-17" - but many players wanted a 4 engine bomber option sooner (although only players of EOS/AIO get the option). There is yet another option in EOS - the G7 - which was cancelled in favor of the G8 design - appears - as a torpedo carrier. It is a superb twin engine bomber - fast, well armed and protected - with a devistating offensive punch for its size.

< Message edited by el cid again -- 9/20/2007 10:15:10 AM >

(in reply to josephw)
Post #: 113
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Scenario Design >> RE: RHS Allied Aircraft Thread Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI