Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Antigrandfather patrol

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> Antigrandfather patrol Page: <<   < prev  47 48 [49] 50 51   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Antigrandfather patrol - 9/22/2007 5:57:50 AM   
Cap Mandrake

I am stuck here trying to keep a bunch of teens from doing what I am conspiring to do myself. This is causing some cognitive dissonance. I have therefore combined a bitter chemical that kills malaria parasites, the nectar of juniper berries and slices of a sour citrus fruit that no sane person would eat by itself. By some incredible cosmic fluke, it is quite tasty and is beginning to relieve my dissonance too.

Here is the situation in Burma. The Burma road is cut. Myitkyina is looking like it might hold. I am hammering Lashio to deny his LRCAP over Myitkinia which is murdering my medium bombers in the ground support role over the town. The Japs have apparently given up attacking Myitkyina by air due to their heavy losses to the RAF. The 24th FG is converting to P40E's at Imphal and is nearing full strenght. The 2nd UK and 7th Armoured are heading down from Imphal with a hundred planes providing supply by airdrop. Only a small Japarmoured unit guards the junction with the Mandalay/Myitkyina rail line (for now). It coudl be interesting.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Cap Mandrake)
Post #: 1441
RE: Antigrandfather patrol - 9/22/2007 6:51:28 AM   
Cap Mandrake

<makes groaning sound> 3 incredible 20-something blondes in micro-minis (my son's friends) just walked by SEAC HQ and said "Hi, Mr. Mandrake!" I was trying to take screenshots and I messed up completely. They wanted lemons and salt. I gave them limes and salt. <makes groaing sound again>

I know I shouldn't think like that but they are only 8 or 9 years younger than stalker girl. And they souldn't take a guy's limes like that, either. Oh, well, beats getting pulled over by the Highway Patrol.

Post #: 1442
IOU 958 Zeroes - 9/22/2007 8:51:59 AM   
Cap Mandrake

Plane losses to date sorted by number lost

Attachment (1)

Post #: 1443
The problem with Flt Lt Usher - 9/22/2007 9:31:43 AM   
Cap Mandrake

*********No. 605 Sdrn. Ready Room, Myitkyina, Burma, Sept 25, 1942********

Sdrn Leader Edge: And you, Flt. Lt., where is your family from?

Flt. Lt. Usher: East Peckham, sir. It's the center of the hops industry.

Sdrn Leader Edge: How very pleasant. Both sides, then?

Flt. Lt. Usher: Well, it's rather a small place sir. It doesn't really have sides.

Sdrn Leader Edge: Oh..no..I meant your family. Both sides of your family.

Flt. Lt. Usher: Oh. I see sir. Sorry, sir. The family, sir. I'm not sure I really have two sides.

Sdrn Leader Edge: Well, surely you have a mother?

Flt. Lt. Usher: Oh, yes sir.

Sdrn Leader Edge: And a father?

Flt. Lt. Usher: Oh yes sir.

Sdrn Leader Edge: Well then. We are getting somewhere now.

Flt. Lt. Usher: We are sir? I scarcely felt any movement.

Sdrn Leader Edge: No, Flt. Lt. We aren't moving in the physical sense. It is just an expression.

Flt. Lt. Usher: Ah. That is quite a relief, sir.

Sdrn Leader Edge: Superb. Now back to the point. Your father's family had to come from somewhere and your mother's family
had to come from somewhere.

Flt. Lt. Usher: Yes sir. They came from the same place, sir, East Peckham. They knew each other since childhood, sir.

Sdrn Leader Edge: My, isn't that romantic.

Flt. Lt. Usher: No, not really, sir.

Sdrn Leader Edge: Whyever not?

Flt. Lt. Usher: They were cousins, sir. Can you imagine that, sir?

Sdrn Leader Edge: Yes, Flt. Lt......I can imagine that. In fact, I am scarcely surprised.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 1444
RE: The problem with Flt Lt Usher - 9/22/2007 9:37:28 AM   
bradfordkay

It is rather unlikely that such a household shall remain standing for long...

fair winds,
Brad

Post #: 1445
RE: The problem with Flt Lt Usher - 9/22/2007 2:41:02 PM   
BrucePowers

I don't have my Ordnance Survey out. Is there such a place as East Peckham?

(in reply to bradfordkay)
Post #: 1446
RE: The problem with Flt Lt Usher - 9/22/2007 5:15:42 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: bradfordkay

It is rather unlikely that such a household shall remain standing for long...

Young Bradford either refers to SEAC HQ, which does suffer from lack of direction at times....or......he has cleverly found the literature reference on the Usher theme.

Splendid work!

Post #: 1447
RE: The problem with Flt Lt Usher - 9/22/2007 5:42:12 PM   
Cap Mandrake

Hmmm....a blond in bare feet, pajama bottoms (and a T-shirt, sadly) and bed hair just left SEAC HQ at 07:44. The security around here is terrible.

Post #: 1448
RE: The problem with Flt Lt Usher - 9/22/2007 5:49:04 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: BrucePowers

I don't have my Ordnance Survey out. Is there such a place as East Peckham?

Yes. It seems to be the Kent equivalent of Gilroy (minus the artichokes).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/kent/content/panoramas/east_peckham_man_of_kent_360.shtml

The House of Usher is the big brownstone across the street from the Man of Kent Pub. The house has had extensive renovation of course.

(in reply to BrucePowers)
Post #: 1449
RE: The problem with Flt Lt Usher - 9/22/2007 5:56:03 PM   
Terminus

And still it teeters on the brink of a fall...

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

Post #: 1450
Slow on the uptake? - 9/22/2007 7:39:34 PM   
Cap Mandrake

Observe:

So here is my question. The dangerously consanguineous Flt. Lt. Usher has 50 missions but doesn't have the air combat sense of the barely post-pubescent Lt. De Groot (you know the Dutch kid) after only a few missions.

Also contrast him to Flight Officer Singleton (605 Sqdrn) who seems to be a quick study as he is a capable vet after one mission.

Also note. The RAF ought to publish its exercise program as these chaps are all under 11% body fat and young Cheshire is an improbable 0%

< Message edited by Cap Mandrake -- 9/22/2007 7:40:48 PM >

Post #: 1451
RE: Slow on the uptake? - 9/22/2007 7:47:08 PM   
VSWG

You've got an amazing eye for details...

Your son brought three blonde friends home at the same time?! Must be his father's wit, and his mother's good looks...

Post #: 1452
RE: Slow on the uptake? - 9/23/2007 2:27:00 AM   
BrucePowers

All I have to say is, "thank heavens I am married.!"

Oh, yeah both kids are basically out of the house.

(in reply to VSWG)
Post #: 1453
RE: Slow on the uptake? - 9/23/2007 2:42:09 AM   
bobogoboom

So they just come by when they need money?

I feel like I'm Han Solo, and you're Chewie, and she's Ben Kenobi, and we're in that bar.
Member Texas Thread Mafia.

Sig art by rogueusmc

Post #: 1454
RE: Slow on the uptake? - 9/23/2007 2:51:10 AM   
Terminus

And/or need laundry done. That's what "basically out of the house" means, I think...

(in reply to bobogoboom)
Post #: 1455
RE: Slow on the uptake? - 9/23/2007 3:14:07 AM   
BrucePowers

Well, one 2 hours away. The other one is 4 hours away. (However for money, that's what ATM cards are for)

< Message edited by BrucePowers -- 9/23/2007 3:15:13 AM >

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 1456
RE: Slow on the uptake? - 9/23/2007 4:05:43 AM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: VSWG

Your son brought three blonde friends home at the same time?! Must be his father's wit, and his mother's good looks...

Well..not exactly. There were two other guys too. My 15 year old daughter came up to me last night and said, "Dad, I don't like those girls". I nodded sympathetically, gave her a hug and added lamely, "Yeah..they took my limes."

Last Haloween some 20-something came to the door in fox ears, fox "paws", a net top and some completely impractical skirt with a fox tail and matter-of-factly announced "Hi Mr. Mandrake, is Jake here?"

After controlling the cross-species drool, I was able to mumble and point in the general direction.

The good news is I suspect the neighbors are accustomed to women with bed hair sneaking out of the house at 07:30.

When stalker girl was here I walked out to the front steps with her on Saturday or Sunday morning (can't remember which day) and as she was getting into her rental car my neighbor with the $10,000 mailbox was out getting his "too conservative" LA Times. He looked at her and then at me. I had to say something. "OK..thanks for bringing those carpet samples by....I'll let you know when I decide". It was the best I could do.

(in reply to VSWG)
Post #: 1457
RE: Slow on the uptake? - 9/23/2007 8:16:11 AM   
bradfordkay

Yes, but did the carpet match the drapes?

fair winds,
Brad

Post #: 1458
RE: Slow on the uptake? - 9/23/2007 10:46:56 AM   
bobogoboom

I'm gonna say over the line

I feel like I'm Han Solo, and you're Chewie, and she's Ben Kenobi, and we're in that bar.
Member Texas Thread Mafia.

Sig art by rogueusmc

Post #: 1459
RE: Slow on the uptake? - 9/23/2007 2:07:15 PM   
Terminus

That's quite the swinging household you have there, Mandrake...

(in reply to bobogoboom)
Post #: 1460
RE: Slow on the uptake? - 9/23/2007 5:48:32 PM   
BrucePowers

"So, how are things going in Burma?", he asks to change the subject line. He does this because anything else he would have to say on the other subject would make him sound like a complete idiot

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 1461
RE: Slow on the uptake? - 9/23/2007 6:11:01 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

That's quite the swinging household you have there, Mandrake...

You have to understand. I am presenting the highlights. Sure, there is the occaisional laying of pipe but in between there is plenty of fixing leaky faucets, buying dog food, cooking, algebra homework...yada yada yada.

My son's friends have a standing invitation to sleep here if they are too tired or have had too many 2-carbon fragments. They congregate here sometimes before they go out, to play pool, watch the big screen etc. They park their cars here, designate a driver and, naturally, there are some casualties, usually 2-4 extra cars are here in the morning on the weekend. If there are any women, they usually sneak out about 7-8 and the guys stay around to watch football. As Tevia would say...Tradition!

<Attention Japs..send turn now..I want to see what happened with a big, combined RAF/USAAF fighter sweep and Fortress raid over Lashio>

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 1462
Forts - 9/23/2007 6:31:05 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: BrucePowers

"So, how are things going in Burma?"...

*************10 US Army Air Force HQ, Dacca, 18:20, Sept 24, 1942********

Gen Channault: What was final the tally on our losses over Lashio today?

Staff Officer, 10th AF HQ: Six P-40E, six P-40B and 3 Forts, sir.

Gen Channault: And the enemy?

Staff Officer, 10th AF HQ: 8 Zero and Tony confirmed in A2A and at least 25 destroyed or damaged on the ground. BDA shows the runway heavily cratered and fuel and ammo storage 25% destroyed.

Gen Channault: Right. I want maxiumum effort for tomorrow rain or no rain. We can hurt them. 221 Group RAF are sweeping from Myitkyina tomrrow with 60 Hurricane and Spits. I want 23rd FG and 34th FS in the air over Lashio tomorrow. I want the Forts to go in in the afternoon. If we hurt them, I want the mediums to go in tomrrow, weather permitting. Is that clear?

Post #: 1463
Tulsa Oklahoma - 9/23/2007 6:46:01 PM   
Cap Mandrake

*********Douglas Aircraft Plant, Tulsa, Oklahoma, Sept 25, 1942********

<A small tractor backs up to a newly minted SBD4 in the assembly building and a worker attaches the tow gear to the front wheel assembly of the SBD>

Tractor driver: Is somebody going to come pick these God dmaned things up? This makes 1033.

Second worker: Don't bust my balls, man. I just work here.

Somebody at the War Department needs to have a planning meeting....or the Congressman from Tulsa is very influential.

Check this out. "Swede" Vejtasa, USN, shot down 3 Zeroes in one day in an SBD! He was transfered to a fighter and subsequently shot down 7 enemy planes in one day

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SBD_Dauntless

< Message edited by Cap Mandrake -- 9/23/2007 6:56:37 PM >

Post #: 1464
RE: Tulsa Oklahoma - 9/23/2007 8:02:58 PM   
rtrapasso

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cap Mandrake

Check this out. "Swede" Vejtasa, USN, shot down 3 Zeroes in one day in an SBD! He was transfered to a fighter and subsequently shot down 7 enemy planes in one day

Yes, the first (3 Zeroes in an SBD) is widely quoted, subject of documentaries ("Dogfight!"), song*, etc... and unfortunately untrue. Never happened... although he was credited with the Zero shoot downs, the IJN didn't lose any Zeroes at this time or place (according to exhaustive analysis by folks like Lundstrom (" The First Team: Pacific Naval Air Combat from Pearl Harbor to Midway ")

*The little ditty i made up, anyway... not widely circulated, nor acclaimed for some reason...

< Message edited by rtrapasso -- 9/23/2007 8:15:04 PM >

Post #: 1465
RE: Tulsa Oklahoma - 9/23/2007 8:44:51 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: rtrapasso

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cap Mandrake

Yes, the first (3 Zeroes in an SBD) is widely quoted, subject of documentaries ("Dogfight!"), song*, etc... and unfortunately untrue. Never happened... although he was credited with the Zero shoot downs, the IJN didn't lose any Zeroes at this time or place (according to exhaustive analysis by folks like Lundstrom (" The First Team: Pacific Naval Air Combat from Pearl Harbor to Midway ")

*The little ditty i made up, anyway... not widely circulated, nor acclaimed for some reason...

Well..pretty cool name at least.

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 1466
MIA - 9/24/2007 5:31:18 AM   
Cap Mandrake

9-25-42...221 Group RAF stages a coordinated fighter sweep over Lashio to make way for the Forts from Dacca. These are the best RAF pilots in the SEAC command. 41 Spits and 21 Hurris engage 17 Tonys and 3 A6M3's. In the process they destroy 8 Tonys and 1 Zero but lose 8 Hurris and 2 Spits. Sending in the Hurricanes had been controversial but it was felt they were needed as a "force multiplier".

Something got mutliplied all right, the losses of Hurricanes. Something got subtracted too. No. 605 Sqdrn led the attack. Beyond credulity, Flt. Lt. Usher survived but the Squadron 2nd dog, and one of the leading RAF aces in the Far East, Flt. Lt Stephen is MIA. After the RAF, the P-40's arrived from Imphal, destroying 9 enemy fighters to the loss of 4 aircraft. The day's tally 18 enemy fighters lost to 14 Allied. SEAC orders them to do it again tomorrow as the Forts of 10th Air Force were grounded at Dacca. The airfield at Lashio needs to be taken down so the Allied medium bombers can interdict the movement of Jap troops at Myitkyina and permit the successful cutting of the rail line to Mandalay by the 2nd British and 7th Armoured.

PS...I don't suppose MIA pilots ever show up do they?

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Cap Mandrake -- 9/24/2007 5:34:18 AM >

Post #: 1467
RE: MIA - 9/24/2007 8:06:55 AM   
rtrapasso

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cap Mandrake Sending in the Hurricanes had been controversial but it was felt they were needed as a "force multiplier".
<snip>
PS...I don't suppose MIA pilots ever show up do they?

"Force multiplier" - is that the same as "Fodder multiple"?

As for MIA - i've heard claims that someone will come back from the MIA list, but no one has ever shown a verified case (i.e., with screen shots, etc.) IF they ever come back (which i doubt), it is probably only as the result of a glitch.

< Message edited by rtrapasso -- 9/24/2007 8:08:52 AM >

Post #: 1468
Vestal...oh...what do you call those... - 9/24/2007 10:15:30 PM   
Cap Mandrake

************Boileroom, USS Vestal, somewhere between Midway and Pensacola, Sept 26, 1942*******

CPO: Wait a minute. Do you mean to tell me that neither of you guys has been with a woman?

Seaman Tucci: <adjusts the flow of fuel oil into the boiler> No, chief. We made a pledge.

CPO: Pledge? What possessed to do a crazy ass thing like that?

Seaman Tucci: It's a tradition, chief.

CPO: Tradition, my ass. You are in the Navy. It's a tradition to get laid. How about you, Sylvio, you too?

Seaman Sylvio: Yes, chief. I am bound by my word to be chaste.

CPO: Chaste? It sounds like a disease. The rumor is there is a Jap sub out there stalking us. What if your number is up? Do you want to go to Davey Jones Locker without doing the horizontal samba? Is that what you want?

Seaman Tucci: Yes, chief. We have sworn to do so.

CPO: Bull. I don't want no "chaste" types working in my engine room. As soon as we get to XXXXXXX, I am going to get you two laid....on my dime. Tradition? Phht....

Post #: 1469
RE: Vestal...oh...what do you call those... - 9/25/2007 3:07:32 AM   
BrucePowers

Oh, oh. We've gone back to that other subject again

Post #: 1470
Page:   <<   < prev  47 48 [49] 50 51   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> Antigrandfather patrol Page: <<   < prev  47 48 [49] 50 51   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI